Help the Aged Leeds Abbey Dash 10K 2008

Comments

• Meglet - I'm only going on last year - I haven't got my number for this year.

Perhaps it's M for Meglet?

• Meglet - I think it is M for medium - did you indicate medium for your T shirt as I have an S next to mine and I asked for a small T shirt. I've got a white number.

• thanks Jovi, that could be it, it is a medium shirt. never really know what size to put but probably a small would be too tight across the boobage for me! havent tried this one yet though. but then they dont really get worn much anyway.
  • Got my number over the weekend and it is plain white. Guess they are not repeating the colour coding of last year.
  • Also a LAD virgin, number is all white, with black print.

To get a good start on this how soon are people getting in to the start areas? At the Robin Hood half, September you geting in the start area 30mins before, at the Cardiff half last weekend, it was so relaxed, got on the start line with 15mins to go.

Been told its a flat, fast course, but is there a gradual downhill or climb? 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    The outward 10k is very very slightly uphill but hardly noticeable. You turn around at 5k so the reverse is true of the 2nd half.

In my experience most of the slower runners do stay away from the front. I tend to get to the start with 10 mins to spare and put myself approx 10-15m from the front (sub 40 mins).
  • HI

I have left it to late to enter this, has anyone got a space they now longer want?!

Please email me if so cspicer1@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Charlie

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    The website says it is full Charlie.
  • Dpes anyone know the postcode of the area?, coming from Manchester and hoping to use the Sat Nav.

• Daddy Cool

The Headrow where it starts and finishes is LS1 8LA. There are plenty of car parks around the city centre in walking distance if you follow the signs. I usually go in St Johns (LS2 8JE) where you have to pay but can get out of the traffic and back onto the ring road pretty quickly afterwards.

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    The University car parks are open and free at the weekend. I usually park there and it is a 5 minute walk to the Town Hall. Enter by the Parkinson Building on Woodhouse Lane, LS2 9JT. You can drive down through the campus to park in 'Orange zone' car park by the Uni Sports Centre, just opposite the Jubilee wing of the LGI. Sometimes the barrier on Calverly Way is left open at the weekends, but not always.
  •   Thanks for the info. simon f 2 / Podro
  • Or if you get lost you will probs go past the train station (presuming your coming on the M62)/you know your close when theres a huge building on your left...you can always park down by there and then its a 10/15 min walk to the start. Quite nice to be able to walk after the run and try loosen up the legs.
  • I often shelter beforehand in 'The Light' which is a covered shopping area very near the start. If you remember a 20p you can use the classy toilets on the top floor too. And it's warm.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I managed to wreck my right knee at the weekend ... good timing eh! image

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    You weren't trying to Riverdance with the kids again were you? How bad is it? Will you recover in two weeks?
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

yes, really must stop my Mikki Flatfoot impersonations!image

I was a few miles into a planned 9 mile long slow run (after having two days off)  when I felt a slight discomfort on the outside of my right knee (opposite knee to the one I hurt in the Horsforth 10K). I get this feeling when I get out of the car after a long drive and it usually sorts itself out after a few minutes ... I had done a lot of driving the day before, so thought that was the trigger. I should have given up and walked home but it was freezing cold and absolutely p*ssing it down, so running seemed easier. I did cut the run short by a couple of miles but not before slipping on a metal manhole cover, doing a cart wheel and rolling into the gutter on the A65 . The latter was more embarrassing than serious with just a few grazes to show ... but once I was home and showered, the right knee started feeling bad. Walking is a bit uncomfortable and coming down stairs almost impossible. Very frustrating as I was actually feeling really good and just needed a few more runs this week to tie everything together before winding down for the 23rd.

So, I'll rest up and see what happens ... image

• Looking forward to this one. Like a few others, I'll be looking for a PB, so fingers-crossed for good conditions on the day.

Be great to put a few names and faces together if at all possible. I'll post my number later in case anyone wants to say hello.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Remarkable improvemnt in the auld knee this morning image... I've gone from not being able to walk down stairs yesterday to virtually not noticing it ...  makes me think that it is my strange "driving injury" rather than a direct cause of training.

Finger's crossed.image

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    That's good news Dan. Hopefully you'll make it. Will Mrs Dan and the Dandinis be out to cheer you on?
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Podro wrote (see)
    Will Mrs Dan and the Dandinis be out to cheer you on?

Yes ... well "cheer" might be a bit hopefulimage ... I'm more likely to be getting abuse from them ... though I'm sure they'll cheer you on. My brother and family are heading down from London for the weekend, so there should be a gaggle of them... I suspect they will be somewhere around the Abbey (so they can park upstream of the road closures).  My brother's entered the run too but may yet chicken out.

Is Mrs Podro running or cheering ... or ignoring (given that you race so often)? Or maybe you've banned the Podlets after the journey to the Dublin marathon? image

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    No supporters for me - they have "better things to do". image
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Six days to go .... are you all ready? image

My knee is feelng okayish but I haven't had a "proper run" for over a week now... I did attempt a short/slow test run last Wednesday which suggested that it was not right, so haven't dared to run on it again since.

With six whole recovery days to goimage , I still expect to be running ... but I'm obviously much less confident about getting my first sub-50 now ... even if the knee holds up, sitting on my backside for 2 weeks won't have done me any good.

imageDanged frustrating ... but still looking forward to it allt he same.image

• I'm ready! well, as i'll ever be. just trying to hold off the cold/cough going round at home and work. After a sub-70 for me, its only my 2nd 10k.

hope your injury makes it ok Dr Dan

• I'm ready as I'll every be - couple more four mile training runs this week and I'm hoping to get my first ever sub 60 minute time!
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Looks like I won't be able to do it. My mum has been taken to hospital so I have to go down to Sussex this weekend. Good luck to everyone else. Hope the weather is good and the crowds supportive.
  • I got 59.45 in the GYR in sept and this is my 1st 10k race since then so hoping to shed a few minutes off my time.

Surprisingly not excited yet though image....feeling a bit lethargic about running at the mo though, sure I'll pull it out of the bag on the day though.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Podro wrote (see)
    Looks like I won't be able to do it. My mum has been taken to hospital so I have to go down to Sussex this weekend. Good luck to everyone else. Hope the weather is good and the crowds supportive.
    Sorry to hear that - hope she makes a quick recovery.image
  • Good luck to everyone...

I got a new PB of 61:30 at the Barnsley 10k at the weekend so im hoping to get under 60 mins on a far flatter course.

• Well done J.  Ive not gone under the 60mins yet, but hoping this sunday will be a different story. Heard its quite a flat course, so even better.  Hope it has a better finish than Sheffield!!! as this was my last 10k.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for carparks. Coming from Manchester with a good old fashioned Atlas.