Why do we do it to ourselves?

Comments

• Got home from work last Thursday, put on my running gear ready for an easy five miler, opened the front door (I come in from the garage at the back  of the house usually) and there, sticking out of my letter box, was my fleecey and 5th reject magazine.  I was so despondent I very nearly turned round and got into my pyjamas!   I wondered if I could keep going for another 18 months until I get my guaranteed place.  I wondered if I even wanted to.

But then, I went out for my run.   It rained.  It felt good.  And by the time I got home I was all ready to sign up for a half at the end of November which I mentioned to my husband and now he's going to book us a hotel for a few nights and make a long weekend of it.  Bit of a consolation prize.

I've only been running 5 years and in all that time I've been trying to get into the FLM and not made it.  I'm not giving up now, not when I'm guaranteed for 2010.  I'll be 45 then.  Just wondering though, will my knees give up before I do!!

• Richard Bullivant wrote (see)
    Out of interest if a lot of people defer or drop out, what happens to their places?
    al. wrote (see)
    FLM isn't about being fair, it's about generating the most money. The best way to think about it is try to imagine you were organising it and you got a bonus to bring in as much cash as you could. You'd do that by opening a ballot on the day of the marathon on TV, so that all the no-hopers would pay and not start. You'd encourage as many people as possible so that you'd have a massive DNS rate so that you could book enough food and drink for 30000 even though 40-50000 have paid. You'd say that transferring your number was illegal even though you could computerise such a triviality. Why on earth would they care about being fair and letting people run who hadn't run before?

Blimey this one's got a few folks interested. Just to clarify I do think the ballot is fair and there isn't a way as I can see it to improve it. My beef is with the way the run dressed as a chicken places are run because there are to many there isn't transparency and the some of the charities sort out there places like a Mafia as far as I can see it. If you pull out or defer the race expects so many so oversubscribes slightly after they are below the excepted number's they are passed on to the charities hence why they don't want you to give the number to someone else. I've been fed up with this for a while not just because I didn't get in this time.

Baring in mind that this can hugely effect how much money a charity get each year with them being high profile as well as the sponsorship this should be a lot better run.

As for doing it over 2 days I don't think it's practical to shut down that much of the city for a whole weekend but do think that if there was a belated start time's with the chips that would work quite well assuming that the public transport at the finest and start line can cope. So half a hour/ 1 hour after the start a second wave of runner's starts. IF everyone has a chip it's not a problem to work out your time and just put all the elite runner's in the first start.

• Thinker, I know how you feel, 9 of us applied this year (5.30 finish) and not 1 acceptance, so much for the 1 in 5 chance!!! At least I still have an overseas application that I have not heard from yet, so fingers crossed. Annoying thing is that charities are still advertising loads of places but I notice they are NOT showing minimum amounts required this time, suppose they will only accept the people who promise the most!!! 
  • Did you hear Nell what's her name being interviewed at the GNR call everyone "FUN runners"! IShe was dressed up as "I wonder why Woman" and doing it for fun this time and of course charity, bet she got in the FLM again this year, with no problem!........ Its starting to eat me up now , I'm getting more bitter and twisted by the day

• SP - that sounds a great idea - giving those who ran this years an automatic rejection. I'm not taking the p-ss either. Sounds good.

Mind, openning the ballot at the same time as the they're running, so it fills up before they can get home, nearly did the trick this year!

• How about opening the ballot a week /month before before the race?

• Not enough time for the people who don't do this full time training wise to get ready.
  • Very good, left myself wide open there! I did of course mean 53 weeks or 56 weeks before the next race! That race being the VLM just to be absolutly clear.LOL
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Plenty of people run the London Marathon with out doing so for charity, postieboy.

I know several.  I did raise money for a charity when I did it, although I had a club place and didn't need to.

People assumed I was fundraising, and offered to sponsor me - it would have been a bit perverse to say no thanks.  I raised over £1,300 just from people offering - I didn't go round asking people.

In contrast to MrsPB (and just to rub salt into the wound), I know someone who had had four acceptances out of five entries.

• W
    Wilkie wrote (see)

In contrast to MrsPB (and just to rub salt into the wound), I know someone who had had four acceptances out of five entries.

well that cheered us all up!
  • UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭

Hi All – just came on for a general moan. Got rejected yet again and haven’t got the energy this year to raise money for charity (still waiting for some sods to pay up from last year!) – toying with the idea of giving up running and taking up knitting instead –that will teach them to reject me!! Have run London 4 times now and run for charity each time – my pool of sponsors is showing the strain of my annual plea for money.

It was easy the first time as I went from fat coach potato to a running fat coach potato – people were impressed by my efforts and gave willingly – now that I actually do it for fun they seem to think (rightly) that they are just funding my recreational activities.

There are other marathons Paris, Lochaber etc but just not quite the same. Right off to sulk in a corner and feel sorry for myself.

• UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭
    P.S. what I find even more annoying (yes I am still here) are the people who have got an acceptance but are going to defer until 2010 –why did they apply if they weren’t going to run it anyway?
  • If they don't enter they will not get in on the 5 rejections and your in method.
  • *gasp**shock* *horror*

Why not apply for another marathon?

• But how else will we be able to pee up the walls of Liz's house and get away with it? Plus as London is the centre of the known world how can we get there?image
  • Sulk update: I've now heard about 13 people from my club / work that entered the ballot, and it's 13 rejects!
  •  do you reckon it should be on a first come first serve basis?

• They could be more open about numbers of places really available in the ballot.

• nody wrote (see)

do you reckon it should be on a first come first serve basis?

It would be more unfair that way because not everyone has access to a computer.
  • Another year, another reject. Still have a duathlon on Sunday to look forward to.
  • UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭
    It should be on a last come first served basis - can you defer a rejection until 2010? Where's that SA gone? So many question and no answers.
  • I've just been trawling the RW website for an alternative spring marathon.  I'm struggling to find a suitable one!  I don't fancy multiple laps or off-road.  Any ideas?

• Let's all go to the pub instead?image
  • Paris is a better race than London.Superb backdrop at start, wide road at start to get you into your stride straight away, no stupid whistles & horns blowing in your ear on the last few miles.London as always been a fantastic event but it's started to turn into a carnival more than a road race, nothing wrong with that,but personally having run London 12 times & run Paris once, weighing the two up i've got to say Paris comes out on top.
  • Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Bluebirds - I've done Paris once and London once, and I agree totally with what you say. 

• UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭

Bluebirds - if Paris is so good why have you run it just once and London 12 times? I have been told Paris was great by two friends that ran it last year -however, I think its the fact that I have been rejected for FLM that makes me want to run it again - if I got a place then I wouldn't care too much.

Notreally - Paris is good alternative if you want big race atmosphere in a beautiful city, Lochaber if you want small friendly race with good PB potential, Edinburgh if you want a nice start and PB (went to it this year and disappointed).

• UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭
    Or you can just watch FLM on the tele in the pub - sounds tempting and may have to start training right now (bit early at 10 a.m. maybe)
  • I'm already over the disappointment of not getting a place. Does that mean I didn't want it badly enough or am I a grown up now?image
  • UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭
    Must be the former surely