Why do we do it to ourselves?

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Umbongo - have you tried other marathons?  Yes, they won't be the same as London, but maybe they could be just as enjoyable (or - dare I say it - even more so?).  I had much more fun on my non-London mara than I did in London.

London's become this 'thing' that everyone wants - probably just because it's not easy to have!

I know two people who got a ballot place this year, out of five.  One of them has had four ballot places out of five applications. 

• Brendon Foster was in this week's observer banging on about making running available to all and encouraging young people to become active but he doesn't acknowledge that the likes of the great north run and FLM are now almost entirely money making activities with charities centre stage - and I think are actually damaging running . When was the laste time someone was interviewed during either of those races and said i do it because I love running and the training will hopefully stop me dropping dead of some wesern maliase prematurely?

Paris is first come first served and there was a heck of a lot of us doing that in 2007. So lets make the FLM a bit more skewed to runners first and charities second. Give UK Athletics clubs the opportunity to enter a ballot first, then open up a general public no charity ballot, then have a charity ballot. In the run up to London 2012 what better way to have a lasting legacy than a nation of adults (school can sort kids - no one else is going to look after the fat bloke/lady who needs to get off their arses in order to avoid diabetes/high cholesterol etc) who have been turned into runners - and not just those attempting a once in a lifestyle effort.

Rant over. I feel better already. Not to sort out the credit crunch.

• UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭

Wilkie - yes I have tried other marathons and enjoyed them all in different ways - did Lochness and loved it (would do it again no problem), I love Abingdon ..the list goes on. However, I live near London and its my local marathon, my club supports it by providing helpers every year and last year I got my finishers medal from a friend in my club (couldn't be better), also FLM was my first running race and over the years my forum friends are mostly from FLM forums - it hard to be a cheerleader when half of them are running FLM. Also I have run it the last 4 years and its become a bit of a habit blah, blah blah

I think its also the fact that its hard to get into, its so crowded that you can't get a PB, its full of charity runners etc adds to its strange attraction

• UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭
    GTC - couldn't agree more. And I am sure I will agree to your solution to the credit crunch as well once you come up with it.
  • I think I'm too selfish.

I wanted to run london because I live here (Camden Town), and running london means not having to pay for hotels/car hire/flights/etc to another town. Also afterwards I can go home to my lovely new whirlpool bath image

• Umbungo, the reason i've only run Paris once is because it's only in the last few years i've realised London is not the be- all, end-all of marathons.It's a circus these days with runners as a side show.What i liked about Paris was that it reminded me of London as it used to be.London is still a good race, but it as turned into a bit of a "must be seen in " event among some runners.

GTC, good point.

Blooooooebiiiiirds! 

• Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    GTC wrote (see)

Brendon Foster was in this week's observer banging on about making running available to all and encouraging young people to become active but he doesn't acknowledge that the likes of the great north run and FLM are now almost entirely money making activities with charities centre stage - and I think are actually damaging running . When was the laste time someone was interviewed during either of those races and said i do it because I love running and the training will hopefully stop me dropping dead of some wesern maliase prematurely?

Agreed.  But you should know by now, that "running's just for charidee innit?" image

Interesting to note that in the FLM "acceptance" magazine it says that you will:

"......take part with not only the world's top elite marathoners, but celebrity, charity and fun runners alike"

So much for the club runners then. 

• But running is available to everyone. it's just that most people don't want to do it.

The whole point of the London Marathon is to raise money for charities. It was granted charitable status before the first one ever took place.

• FF, i think you've got that wrong. I don't think that was the sole purpose of the marathon .Did'nt Chris Brasher say he had a vision to bring the marathon to London as a celebration for everyone to be as one, no matter what ability ?

I've always thought that London was a non-profitable organisation,that all profits went to charity.

When i first ran London in the eighties Gold bond places were unknown, as far as i can remember charity places were an optional thing after you got a place.

• I was actually asked last night "So how far is the Dublin marathon then"?????

My 8 year old slapped her forehead before I had chance to answer....image

I agree with something that Kittenkat said a while back that running as a sport has been somewhat hijacked by charity and I fear that people who actually run now for the pleasure of running are being viewed as rather odd.

I do give a considerable amount to charity (and I collect for two every year) and I've given a lot of time to charitable causes. I am not against people raising money for charity. Far from it!

What I object to is people assuming I OUGHT to be running for a charity or I am somehow less "worthy" of a place in a particular race. Whatever happened to running purely for the love of it?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

LB, why do you think it's worth slapping your forehead (or your daughter doing so) because someone doesn't know either that all 'marathons' are the same distance (not that they are), or that they're mostly 26.2 miles?

Do you know about distances in sports that you don't take part in?  Just because people just don't know, doesn't mean they deserve scorn.

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I agree with something that Kittenkat said a while back that running as a sport has been somewhat hijacked by charity and I fear that people who actually run now for the pleasure of running are being viewed as rather odd.

Spot on LB and KK.

I'm lucky to come from an area with quite a few recreational runners, so I'm not viewed as that odd. I am viewed as totally mad however when people see me running in the foulest of weather!! image

• fat face wrote (see)

But running is available to everyone. it's just that most people don't want to do it.

The whole point of the London Marathon is to raise money for charities. It was granted charitable status before the first one ever took place.

What rot! If the point of the London Marathon is just to raise money why is it one of the big 5 elite races in the world and why don't the runner's who win prize money have to give it to a charaty? London has always been about the best and also the not so best running in the same race. The only problem is that they have got a little greedy, got the balance wrong for what they can get away with and upset some folks.

Legally it's better to have a charity status because the profits after everything else goes to charities. and if they were a PLC which to be honest I thought they were then they have to pay certain types of taxes (which they might have to do anyway). The paid and unpaid staff working conditions are different if it was a trust. This topic keep's cropping up again and again on the treads and don't think anyone is upset about people running for money they just feel fed up with the cooperate cash rubbish that are making it more difficult for us to get on with it. This is a multi million pound business now and we are the factory floor.

• Wilkie - it's not scorn. It's disbelief. I was taught in primary school how far a marathon is and I certainly wasn't planning on ever running one then. I guess it's like Millionaire - they're only easy if you know the answers, although yes, I might have expected people to know how far a marathon is.

Clearly, not everyone does.

• Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Wilkie - I'd have thought it would be general knowledge what  the standard marathon distance is.

Fat Face - Sorry, but I disagree.  Chris Brasher and John Disley set out the following aims for the London Marathon back in 1980 when organising the first London Marathon

"1. To improve the overall standard and status of British marathon-running by providing a fast course and strong international competition.

2. To show to mankind that on occasions the family of man can be united.

3. To raise money for the provision of recreational facilities in London.

4. To help London tourism.

5.To prove that when it comes to organising major events, 'Britain is best'.

6. To have fun and provide some happiness and sense of achievement in a troubled world."

Source: John Bryant - The London Marathon - The History of the Greatest Race on Earth   p7

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Tee hee, I'll believe number 5 after 2012 image

Me too.....image

Interesting that we seem to have deviated a little from the original "plan" Mr Bump. Sad too, that we still have such a troubled world.

• The more things change the more they stay the same - Very good machinehead album image
  • Just got back from a weeks hols to find a magazine with the words IT'S NOT OVER YET! What a way to be told you've not made it (opted out of the fleece this year as the coat last year was pants). But it is over, this is the very last year of the FLM because in 2010 it becomes involved in everything Richard Branson so it will be Virgin London Marathon (VLM).

If they can have 52000 runners taking part in an event up north (GNR) then why cant our capital look after a similar number for the greatest marathon event in the world.

I agree with KK about the charities, but running has become so popular now, that in a large number of events you either have to get in early or be prepared for a ballot, not always fair but when you can pay and enter online why not sell those places there and then and why should someone who has run last year be allowed to have a place again this year??

I'm not bitter you understand, just very very disappointed (again).

• Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Gazmanmeister - I don't think it's a good idea having such a huge field.  There's no room to run properly, for a start.  It would be far better if more cities put on a quality marathon, particularly in the Spring.  Sadly, there's very few city marathons in this country.

KK, Liverbird - I think 2012 has the potential to be the most monumental cock-up the world has ever seen.  Political Correctness above content, I fear.  Cultural Olympiad, anyone? (Can someone explain to me what the Coventry Transport Museum has to do with the Olympics?)

• I agree, but it does not have to start in the city does it. The Boston marathon starts way outside and finishes there so why not similar for London.

• You know the red arrows are not allowed to be part of 2012 because they are to British? Think it's going to be a very middle class English affair lot's of moaning before hand. Farcical planning followed by a good games. With lots of moaning after about London's status and the cost and no one mentioning how much money and long team inprovments will be generated by the business's and communities involved that then go back into taxes.
  • Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    KK - We have common ground on charity running.  I agree with you - which makes me a grumpy old man, I guess.
  • No! Embarrassing isn't it. Think it came from the London Mayors office was in the guardian a few weeks ago. image Might just be spin?

Grumpy cow?

• The success of 2012 will depend on how well team GB does. 20+ gold medals and all logistical and organisational shortcomings will be swept away in a tide of national euphoria. A poor showing and every problem will be nit picked with Seb Coe et al slaughtered at every opportunity. We live in a fickle world. image

• I need to spell quicker no was to kk asking if I was joking about the red arrows. image