FLM 09 - 4.20 or there abouts.

Comments

• Hi Ladyfe,

Yep it definitely was. It was funny in a way as that was the experience I expected at london in April. I prepared myself for hell, especially as I had done so little training due to injury, but it was fine. I was tired at the end but could have kept running, even sped up a little in the last 2 km, and didn't even feel I needed to walk. Think the difference was that I had done quite a few long runs including a 20 and 21 mile race. This time I had done more training overall but not the long runs and the course was not so forgiving on the legs. My time at London was 4.01.51 so not a lot slower than Dublin, but it's amazing how much more I hurt this time around! It was my quads and ITbs that were protesting. Thought I was going to cramp up at one point image Oh and the random pains in my foot.

Wow I couldn't do a race like that right now. well done. if you can do that you can definitely go faster at London.

Now for Riga I just have to get consistency and long runs and make sure i do lots of stretching, massage etc to try and prevent any narky injuries! yep i am looking forward to going for a run, but think I'll be needing a week or so off. Might try and swim towards the end of the week as don't really use my legs so should be ok.
  • Well done Sarah, fantastic to know that you made it round in one piece image and a new PB and still the incentive to get under 4 hrs image

Ladyfe by the sounds of things you are very well set to hit your targets. I used the runners world schedule and downloaded it to my Garmin. Each session is set out with target pace and heart rates. I may well use heart rate only this time round.

• Thanks Adrian. Good thing I was already thinking of another one image

Runsout, just remebered your comment about club ballot, Think each club does it differently. My friend's put the names in a hat and pick them out. One of my clubs choses three people based on what they have done for the club in the past year. Think it's an individual club thing.

• Hey runsout, just noticed your in the top 10 for activity on these forums image Good work!
  • well done Sarah! Fantastic time....proud of you..and you should be too!

Really tired tonight, done alot of miles this week...40 so far but having a weekend off...well probably..might escape for a few miles in Harrogate.....can`t resist the temptation to run in another county!.

Had a call from another charity last night inviting me to run london for them...don`t know how much they require fundraising wise but unless it is considerably less than the other charity I don`t suppose I will be able to take it up...cannot wait to hear about club places..it`s worse than waiting for christmas!

• Thanks Runsour, Can't believe you have done 40 miles this week. That must be 10 a day! Well done you image Have a great weekend away. I am off to Runcorn (Cheshire) with friends to see another friend and her baby, so no running for me. Think the rest will do me good anyway.
  • Well done Sarah - great time considering all the pain and the walking breaks; Just got back from Germany, but had a few days in the UK with my "commiserations...blah, blah, blah" mag and Virgin top on the mat image

Not sure if that is a blessing in disguse, as just not running with my shoulder injury and seem to have gained about 5 kg in weight since May. Went for a short -  less than 0.5 mile run last weekend to the supermarket image

I'm amazed how easily all the training in the rain, snow, wind of last year is now just a distant memory - my body is a wreck! My job here in Sweden will finish soon, so should be back in the UK next year sometime, so I will endeavour to get out on the road again.

Runsout - I also keep getting offers from Charities to run, but not sure I want to go thru all the hassle of rasing sponsorship again - cant I just run it for me?

For now I will start some light training and look for a 10k or half; although its 16:30 here now and almost dark....

Welcome aboard Ladyfe, and anyone heard from Wrexham Rob recently?

• Went out yesterday and ran 5km (3 miles) at just under 8.5 min mile rate; first 15mins was a battle to get cardio to work, but after this it was easier, so the long return to full race fitness is back underway...image

Some little movement in the shoulders, which doesn't affect my running too badly, but no where near the mobility I need to start upper body training; swimming seems to consist of unsyncronised drowning currently - at least I have stopped accupuncture.

• Well done Mystery, those first runs out after a break are the hardest by far so good on you for getting back out there.
    Harrogate was great , good to be alone with my husband without the constant harrassment from kids although I did miss them . I also did me good not to run for a couple of days too although I didn't forget it altogether as following advice from another RW thread I purchased a couple of M&S sports bras supposedlyade with long distance running in mind, tried them today and they were great, no chaffing and comfortable with the minimum of bounce ...all for £18!
    Not sure I'm keen on this running in the dark, went out at 5 today along our local cycle path and spent most of my time trying not to step on dead rabbits........have done it before and the sound and feel puts you right off your pace ....... Think I'll stick to street running x
  • Thanks Mystery. Great to hear from you again. That was a good run, well done. I couldn't run that fast after so long not running, that's for sure. And as Runsout says, the first few are always the hardest. Hope things improve with the shoulders.

Runsout, am glad you and your husband had a good weekend away. Dead rabbits, yuk! That sounds gross. yep I am not enjoying the dark either as early evening is when I love to run. Back to those cold, dark training runs image The benefit is that I like doing the park speed session with my club which they do in winter instead of track, so I will finally be doing some speed work!

Adrian, how are you getting on?
  • Hi

My first time of posting in this thread. Got a place in 2010 and will start my training in the next couple of weeks. I ran Edinburgh this year (not a great experience) coming in 4:51 so will be hoping to shave 30mins of my time. Anything more will be a bonus image 

• Hi Alan,

Welcome to the thread. This is for last year's marathon but some of us still check in and you are very welcome to join us. Am sure there will also be a thread somewhere for next year. Well done on Edinburgh. What was the race like? I was thinking of Edinburgh next year but am going to go to Riga instead.

sar
  • Hi Sarah

Couldn't find a new thread for 2010 so thought I'll camp here for now. There are threads for next year but are for much quicker times, one day I might be able to post there image. Edinburgh was a race of two halves. I had a very enjoyable first 15 miles, then water ran out, and limped home on the right side of 5hr. Regrettable really as it was a pleasant race, but just when you come up to the boring bits 17-22 miles, you need the lift to take you through and running out of fluid really messes with your mind.

I was thinking running Halstead, although might be too close to VLM, and have signed up to ballot for NYC next year. Will see what happens.

• They ran out of water? That's really bad. yes that would mess my head up too. That won't happen at London, I'm sure. You're very welcome to camp out here image You could start a thread for this kind of time for VLM. Am sure there will be lots of people aiming for it again.
  • Welcome Alam , I had heard Edinburgh was somewhat of a nightmare unless you were one of the fastest! Good luck with NY ballot, i enetered too so fingers crossed although I will consider one of those guaranteed places you book with travel companies ....I`ll be 45 next year so would really like to do it in celebration of that and 10 years running! Saying that i`m not sure i`d be up to doing two marathons in one year.......could be a real tester!

Busy week so far, have run 10k daily...not the 10 miles of last week...that was madness! My main problem is variation......I do try to add speed work but that can be hazardous along counrty tracks in the dusk and we don`t have many hills so have to resort to the local flyover but that`s too dangerous in the dark so it has to be done early afternoon which tends to be busy.....still perseverence......

Quiet weekend planned, fireworks friday night , work sat am and hopefully an LSR with my running friend although he is suffering with a cold at the moment so that may be postponed or I`ll have to go it alone..again! Day off sunday...family visiting so no running but that isn`t a bad thing. HOpe everyone has a good weekend and enjoys the weekend weather...not too rainy I don`t think x

• Sarah - think I'll stay here until I outstay my welcome. Anyway, I'm starting to feel comfy here so no plans to start anything new, and there's plenty of info for me to take on board.

Runsout - cheers for the welcome. Unfortunately, I was not one of the faster runners so I suffered. They blamed it on theft but I have my reservations. I read somewhere that if you don't get into NYC after 3 year then you get in on the 4th. I'm not sure how accurate this is so will wait and see. I'm not hopeful of getting a place, it was my a hopeful punt to see if I will get in. If I do..great..if not..then it's not the end of the world. I will run it one day!

• People never outstay their welcome on here Alan image

Runs, I know what you mean. I try to vary my running and end up doing the same kind of pace. I have started doing the speed sessions in Tuesday though when I can. My legs didn't know what had hit them!

Good luck on NY entry both.
  • Hi Alan, and welcome aboard image

Things are going well thanks Sarah image back is sorted and building up the miles again now. I have the grim challenge at the beginning of December and I am going to try and do a few of my local club cross countries image

Sounds like you are turbo charged at the moment runsout, just mind that road kill. Rabbits are better than hedge hogs !!

Mystery, great to hear you are back on track image

• Good to hear your back is ok Adrian. When do you start your marathon training? Yep I am going to be doing a few x-countries as well. They are good training.

My hamstring is now playing it. Get a twinge every now and again at the back of my knee so am back to no running again. Is probably a good thing, but just a bit frustrating as I feel fine and training was fine on Tuesday. Went swimming last night but not sure it helped. Got to be careful though as am going out to Lanzarote for a training holiday in a couple of weeks and want to be able to train! Think I might have tweaked it a little the week before the marathon, although it wasn't bothering me. I'll get there though. Must do more stretching this time round. (though I always say that!)
  • Thanks everyone for the well wishes; Adrian - good to hear your back has recovered; and runsout it sounds like you are doing too much! At nearly 45 you need to calm down a bit image ( but you're still a youngster compared to me)

Welcome aboard Alan - here is is good a place as any! Some of the other contributors seem to have disappeared unless they are now targetting faster times.

No running this week; just drinking - although did walk 7 miles yesterday as it was sunny and fresh, but my feet are sore now as shoes were a bit suspect.
  • Morning all, hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Started running again after taking a couple of weeks off, never realised how much i miss it. Only ran 15 miles over the weekend but felt it was a good base to work to. Now to build it up slowly and incorporate some hill training, which i hate! 

• Morning.....take care of those feet Mystery......it`s funny how great care is taken by us all with running shoes but walking..well  for me it`s usually whatever i`m wearing at the time as long it`s not heels! ( saying that wellies are the worst...boy can they rub!

Not much running this weekend...my running partner is recovering from a heavy cold so rather than the planned 10 on sat afternoon we settled for a gently 5 which was pleasant although i felt I should have gone on and done more after we split but hey ho...there are plenty more weekends for LSR`s. Very misty here today but not too cold.....hopefully the mist will have lifted before I venture out at 1.15.

Anyone know when club places for London are announced or does it vary from club to club? Still anxious to get a place although having entering  Brathay is some consolation and of course Ny would be good but really my heart is in London at the moment....to do London and NY would be amazing although not sure my body would agree...at least there are a few months between them...Sarah, how did you find it doing two in one year?

• Runs, apart from my injuries I found it fine, but I have lots of underlying issues so I'm not a good example. I didn't do lots of mileage either, but think you would be fine to do two. I had about a month off between them which helps a lot I think. I'd consider doing it again.

Alan, I feel the same. Am really missing the running at the mo. Can't wait to get back to it properly, but know I need to be careful. My hips were both a bit sore after diving yesterday and my hamstring, but seem ok today. It's really hard manoeuvering in a dry suit. 15 miles over the weekend is good.

Yep I need to incorporate some hill work too and more speed work. My problem is that i like to run nice and easy.

Mystery, hope the feet are ok. I love walking but my feet don't always agree.
  • Hi Folks- do you mind if I join you? Not run a marathon before & thinking 4.20 is a bit ambitious but I'll try!!  I think I've got a club place for VLM but won't know until xmas week. Did a half in Sept & Oct so have a good base to start & hope to get a decent long run in at least once a month in prep for 'serious' training in Jan.  

Runsout- our club puts anyone with a valid rejection slip in a hat & makes a draw for the 2 places at the xmas dinner.As far as I know there are only 2 of us going for the 2 places so I'm kinda opptamistic !? 

Cheers Camlo x

• Welcome Camlo........what a cool idea! Here's hoping there are no late entries then!

Took advantage of the weather today and took a 10 mile LSR , the temp was perfect, no wind and I felt good which was just as well as I then had to go out in the dark with my running friend which was not so inspiring..... thankfully my earlier run had included the cycle track we ran on so I had made a mental note of the rabbit corpses along the way....... it would have been carnage without prior knowledge ..... We must have suicidal rabbits ! Still it was an experience and I have notched up 14 miles today... A good start to the week ( especially as rain is forcast ) well must go.... Quiz night in the local!
  • Hi Camlo. Welcome to the gang. They do say to aim for a goal that you think is slightly ambitious. Good luck with getting a place. Sounds like you are going to get one. It also sounds like you have got a good base for starting your training. i had done a similar thing last year.

Runsout, how's it going this week? I ran 5 miles on Tuesday, but it was really, really hard work. Was going to run this lunchtime but am tired so will give it a miss. Am meant to be doing x-country Sat and think I am on the verge of getting a cold, so rest seems the best idea.

off to Lanzarote next week. not sure about doing the running challenge as don't think I have recovered enough, but will see how i feel when I get out there. There will be plenty other things to keep me occupied while I am there!
  • Sarah, how do you find the time to run during the day? I always say to myself to go for a run during lunchtime but never quite doing so. Also, working in town doesn't give you much scope in terms of open space.

Done quite well this week in terms of mileage building. Have ran 20 miles so far and will go for another run tonight on the treadmill tonight and out for a long run on saturday. Hopeful of topping 35 miles for the week.

• I am so jealous Sarah.....Lanzarotte whether running or not has got to be better than here at the moment .....wind and rain together.....mmmm!

I`m doing ok so far..have run everyday as usual and managed to dodge the rabbits! I`m tired today as yesterday was a long long day...finished work late tuesday so didn`t get away til 00.45 , was woken by my 5 year old at 6 and then had a funeral to attend midday, fitted in a run early evening and then had yet another quiz to go to  ( couldn`t pull out as hubby was running it!) so another late night! Working til midnight again tonight so this afternoons run will be easy....slow and easy! Hopeing to fit in a long run saturday afternoon although feeling a bit of a wimp so if it`s raining and blowing as hard as they say may cut it short...but at least i`ll still go!

Would love to chat more but need to mop the floor and do those other boring household chores before whisking my daughter off to school and heading out! If I don`t make it back to the forum befoer the weekend, have a good one everyone...

• Have a good one too Runs and speak soon. Yes I can't wait. I need some sun image Sounds like you are running loads. How did the race your husband was organising go?

Alan, I am lucky in that I am often not as busy as everyone else in my company so can pop out for a while. I am only about 1200m away from battersea park so I can run down there and do a circuit of the park or a smaller out and back run in my lunch break. We have showers at work too which is great. Sounds like you are doing great in terms of building mileage. make sure you do it slowly though to avoid injury. I say this because I am very bad at building it up slowly!
  • You're lucky to have a park, and more importantly showers at work, that you can take advantage of. I've always wanted to run to work (approx 10 miles) but the lack of shower facilities scuppered me. There's no point of me going out for a run here because i will have tourists, bikes, taxis, buses to contend with, not my idea of fun!

I'm thinking in terms of sticking to approx 35 miles per week on the run up to Christmas and NY then push on from there. Been going to the gym to build up my strength, and hopefully drop a few pounds too, to increase endurance. At least I won'e feel as guilty when stuffing myself for the Christmas dinner image