Options

FLM 09 - 4.20 or there abouts.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Richard. Good to hear from you. I am doing Bramley but have dropped down to the 10m instead as I missed to much training in Dec and Jan. I could probably drag myself round but didn't want to demoralise myself after a good run last year. Well done for the 16m. I have gone up to 9.5 so far, so feeling a bit behind. Think I am fit enough to do further as was very comfortable but trying to build my mileage up slowly after so many months of inconsistent training. I am glad I have an extra month to those of you doing London.
  • Options
    Hi all, good to hear from you guys, and glad it is going well. I ran the Dartford 10 mile a couple of weeks ago, quite hilly and managed 79 mins so fairly happy with that. Did 12 miles on Sunday, slight pain in knee towards the end which is still lingering a little. I am doing a 10k on Sunday and then the Dover half the following weekend and Tunbridge Wells half on the 28th
    Have you had any more thoughts about Cranleigh Sarah?
  • Options
    I really want to do it to be honest. i think I need to do it, especially as I will only be doing 10 at Bramley now. My friends keep forgetting about entering the other race and I haven't entered it yet either. Think it will be full soon. of course this could back fire as Cranleigh might fill up image Better check the website out. Not sure i'd keep up with you this year though Adrian image Well done for your 10 miler. That's a great time. Recently ran a PB for my club time trial though so i am fitter than I thought. Just need to translate that over to the longer stuff.
  • Options
    I started to think I might do Bramley too, but it looks like it is on the 14th not the 20th and I am already doing Dartford half that day
  • Options
    Yeah it's the 14th Adrian. Which reminds me to check Cranleigh!
  • Options
    Just entered Cranleigh Adrian. Now just have to keep building on my training.
  • Options
    well done, I'll see you there image I have to hurry round it as it's my grandmothers 90th that day image
  • Options
    Ah wow, that's a great age. Good incentive for you to beat your time from last year so you can get home, although i have no doubt that you will image
  • Options

Hi,

glad to see some of you are getting on track....great time Adrian.....am jealous as I seem to be getting slower and slower!

So far I have managed 14 miles but have been keeping up my daily 10k monday to friday and have even been out twice on the odd occasion which is good. Haven`t much cross training this year tho although am staring a weekly swim session with my brother starting tonight as we have entered the great North Swim ( 1 mile accross Windermere) so that should help.

I`m doing the Stamford 30k on 14th....anyone else joining me? I really think I will struggle this year but it`s miles on legs and have to decided to treat it as a "get round on one peice" excercise and it`s better than doing it on my own in a training run. Am entering Oakley 20 at the end of March....have chickend out in previous years but am going for it this year...should be my last Long run before London....frightening thought...I really am not ready for it this year...maybe ok physically but mentally am really struggling......it`s the thought of those LSR`s...maybe the return of spring will help.....renewed life and all that!

Good running everyone....keep up the motivationX

• Options
    Hi Runs,

How's it going? I am doing the Great North Swim again this year as well. I really enjoyed it last year even though the swim was really tough and I got cramp. the lake and area are beautiful.

Yep am struggling with the long runs too. Did 13.75 on Sunday. So glad I am only doing 10 at bramley this Sunday instead of the 20. I'll get there but I just need to build things up again.

Adrian, how did your 10k go?
  • Options
    Erm 10k went without me image chesty cough has stopped me training since Thursday. I am hoping to get out tomorrow with club, fingers crossed. I have Dover half booked for Sunday so just hope I can get sorted for that. This is the first time I have had to stop training due to a cough/cold, not impressed!!
  • Options
    Oh no. Hope you feel better soon. You did the right thing though and the rest before the half will probably have helped rather than hindered. I have a cross-country relay thing on Sat and the Bramley 10 Sunday. Will use Bramley as a hard session. Think the x-country is about 2 miles so not too bad. Hips are a little sore after my long run on Sunday though so will have to keep an eye on that. Must do more stretching!
  • Options

Hi Sarah,

just the person I needed to speak to...I had no idea you did the Great North swim.....I am just starting to train for it...and thankfully finding it easier than the running! Just one question...did you donthe whole thing frontcrawl???? I am doing it with my brother and he feels we should aim to do it frontcrawl but I am happier doing breastroke and feel I will miss the scenery if I do the whole mile frontcrawl......what do you say?

Not looking forward to Stamford on sunday...really not ready for that distance which is an appalling confession for me to make but there you go.....I am running it with my friend who is slower than me so I have decided to use his pace and do it for time on legs .....the longer it takes the better! Well that`s the theory anyway! I have entered the Oakley 20....something I have avoided for the last two years as I find the thought a little scary...lots of hills and if I am honest a local runner who is very experienced has put me off  as he always says it is the hardest run he does and if I can do it then I can do London.

sorry to hear about your cough Adrian, I hate having to pull out of anything...training run or race but sometimes you just have to and it`s better to rest early by choice than push it and become so unwell you have to take weeks out when a few days would have done!

Good luck with the weekend races....catch up with you soon,

• Options
    This damned cough just wont go away, any of you ever just run through it? I haven't had this problem before and don't want to set myself back too much but also don't want to miss too much training. Any advice please image
  • Options
    I have run through lots of times, but that's because I cough a lot anyway. If you're coughing anything up, might be best to avoid training. Maybe go and get your chest checked at the docs to make sure you don't have an infection. Hope it goes soon. I go by general feel as well. if I am not feeling too good and I am coughing I don't run, but if I feel otherwise ok and am just coughing every so often i will run.

Good luck for Sunday Runsout. Am sure you will be fine. Just take it steady as you say. Re the Great North Swim, I wanted to do it all front crawl as I can't do breaststroke very easily in my wetsuit, but I really struggled with my breathing and got cramp, so by the end I was doing breaststroke. Lots of people just did breaststroke all the way round, so if you want to do that it really won't matter at all. I made my friends laugh after mine. I heard a women say that she found it easier than the great north run and I commented that she was obviously a swimmer and that the great north run was way easier, maybe even the marathon!
  • Options

Just thought I would pop in and say hello and see what everyone has been doing - a lot by the look of things and making me feel guilty!

The good news is my shoulders are starting to thaw - well at least they click when I move them; not sure that's good news but at last I can pull my trousers up now image

The bad news is I have done NO running since the last time I posted - not long after Stockholm half around September. One of my excuses other than being damn lazy, is someone seems to have relocated the arctic circle in Goteborg, as we have had snow and ice since early Dec. It was -16oC day before yesterday and there seems to be no sign of a thaw. Its impossible to run here at the moment unless on a running machine.

I am going to start swimming and running again soon as need to build upper arm strength and get fit again. Fortunately my work here in Sweden has just finished and am just waiting for visa for my next destination, Brazil (warm weather hurrah!). i wont be training for a marathon; just 10k or a half at most.

Well enough ofmy ramblings; good luck everyone with your runs and swims; hope all the coughs and sniffles clear up soon!

• Options

Hi all.

Good to catch up on everyone.

Just checked this time last year I was knocking of 16m no problem. Good job Edinborough is 6 weeks later than london or I would be in trouble. like Adrain I had a cold which stopped me for 10 days. still not flying but getting through 10 miles on a sunday. Trying to get ready for Silverstone in 4 weeks time.  

• Options
    Sorry about the typos. Never post straight after a run while your garmin is uploading!!
  • Options
    Hey Darren good to hear you are going well. My half in Dover was cancelled because of snow so it was a v slow 14 run for me on Sunday which was hard and cold!!

Hope all went well for everyone running on Sunday
  • Options

I braved the Bramley 20 yesterday.  Managed it in 2 hrs 44 mins.  Quite pleased with the time but struggling to walk today!

only 10 weeks to VLM....

• Options
    Hi Richard fantastic time for the 20 there. Should be looking for a solid 3:45?

My cough has turned out to be a small area of infection on the left lung image so 2 weeks of antibiotics for me. Not sure where that puts me really. Dr said as soon as I feel like they have kicked it into touch I can start training again. hey ho
  • Options

Sorry to hear about the infection Adrian..rotten luck but at least it`s being treated so you should be on the road to recovery.

Wow Richard, great run! I did the Valentines 30k on sunday with my friend who is diabetic...I had a ball I have to say, loved it, but mainly because I had to run with my friend who pretty much died at 15 k and had to be dragged round by myself and anyone else we could jolly along and banter with....time wise it was rubbish ...3.15 compared to last year at 3.02 but i wasn`t in it for a time, miles on legs and to help my friend.....but I really had a good race and it was topped off by the chocolates we were given for entering as a couple ( my friend took them home for his wife). The good thing was that I felt fine, could have carried on for a few more miles and was able to run without problem the next day, and my friend had recovered from various aches by wednesday and we are running together tomorrow...weather permitting!

Feeling a bit better about London now...have been very negative recently, not so much on the physical front but more mentally....am struggling with the thought of trying to better last year as I really don`t feel I will be able to impropve on 4.06.....will be disappointed not to so should I look at it from another angle and maybe go for an increased time to prove my endurance! ALso feel I should run with my training partner who as you will know is slower than me so really rules out a fast time...or do I go all out and try to better last year...........help! All that aside , at least Valentines has showed me I can physically make the miles.....

Loads of races booked for march...MK half, Kilomathon, Reading half and Oakley 20! Busy but has to be better than those lonely LSR`s....will anyone else be about at any of them?

• Options
    Hi everyone,

Meant to reply ages ago, but things have been a bit manic.

Richard, well done for your Bramley time. That's a really good time and a lot faster than last time wasn't it? You must have been pleased.

Adrian, hope you have recovered now and are back in training. That sounds really bad.

Runsouts, well done on your run and good luck for MK half. Wanted to do that one but couldn't in the end. I am also doing the Kilomathon. Do you know anything about the course?

I did the Bramley 10 in just under 1.19 so i was really pleased with that as was a PB by about 3 mins I think. I also felt strong still at the end. Ran consistently throughout and then did the last mile about 20 secs faster. My legs didn't either and I had done a short x-country race the day before. Not done much training since though. I need to start increasing my long runs now. Only got as far as 13.75 so far and May is creeping up now!

Hope everyone is doing ok.
  • Options

Hi Sarah,

That was a great 10 miles exactly the same time I did at Dartford a few weeks back. I have started training again this week, the chest x-ray didn't show up any scarring so the Dr was happy for me to start back. So fingers crossed I might be able to keep up with you at Cranleigh. I am going to try 16 miles on Sunday with a get out at 14 if it doesn't go so well !

Runsout, hope your training is going  well. I think you should try to better your time from last year and push to go under 4, I know I still am even though I have missed 3 weeks image

Happy Running All

• Options

Hi 4.20'ers... been a while since I was here.  7 weeks to go and it now feels awfully close!

I think my training is going better than last year so hopefully will improve on 4.53 come the day.  That said, I guess this whole time thing is not really the point.  In some ways I prefer the training to the event itself - although I don't suppose I'd bother as much if I didn't have anything to aim for.

When will the weather pick up though?  It was lovely and sunny today in London for my 17m but it was windy - feels a long way from the glorious sunshine we had last year.

Happy running all!

• Options

Injured my calf on Sat 26th Feb.  Feels better now & am planning to start running again at the end of the week.  Training was going well & was hoping to improve my time at VLM this year.  So frustrating!

How is everyone else getting on?

• Options
    Adrian, good to hear you are on the mend. How did your long run go? I am using the kilomathon this Sunday coming as an idea of how to run Cranleigh. I think doing like what we did last year would be a good idea as I haven't done my long runs yet. A fairly hard run, but not totally flat out. I am so glad my marathon is a month later than London.

Roundandround, great to hear from you and good to hear your training is going well.

Richard, how frustrating. Hope it is ok again soon.

I am doing ok, but just not getting much training in at the mo, especially long runs. need to start doing longer now, but at least the kilomathon will be a good start and a hardish effort too. Am hoping to use that as a gauge of my fitness and to start getting an idea of what marathon time to aim for.
  • Options
    Hi Richard,

bad news about your calf. I have just started back after 3 weeks off with chest infection. Thought about throwing in the towel as I only really wanted to run if I had a real chance of improving time. But after Sunday's sunny 16 in 2:20 I feel back on track and happy that I can still do it!! Just got to build on that now image

So back on with Cranleigh as my next check point. I was fairly flat out last year Sarah!! image
  • Options
    Haha, so was I actually by the end... but we were talking a lot for the first 16 or so miles image There's still time for you to build and the rest will have helped your legs. 16miles in 2.20 is great. I wouldn't do that in training. In fact not even sure I will do that on Sunday in a race, so well done.
  • Options

Hi people,

there have been some very good times out there.....well done all of you....I can`t see me catching any of you...I`m turning into a real plodder these days, admittedly I have spent alot of time running at a slower pace with my friend but even if left to my own deivices I think I have slowed down....a bit of speed work is the answer maybe????

Sorry to hear about your calf  Richard....be careful not to do too much too soon, Adrian, the rest seems to have done you no end of good....that or the sunshine spurred you on...well done.

Sarah, I am doing the Kilomathon sunday....are you staying in Nottingham,/Derby or travelling on the day??