Options

FLM 09 - 4.20 or there abouts.

Comments

• Options

Hi everyone,

Good to hear about the long runs.

Runsout... I suspect that whilst your speed isnt what you want it to be (intervals are a great way of dealing with this) it is all about "time on your feet" which should mean that VLM will be a much easier run this year - or at least that's the theory!

I plan to spend some time at the gym later this week on the bike.  I will feel much better once I start running again & manage a 16 mile run - like Aidrian. 

Keep up the good work.

When is cranleigh?

• Options
    Cranleigh is on 28th but I think it is full now
  • Options
    Hi,

How is everyone getting on? Runsout, how was your half at the weekend? hope it went well.

Adrian, what is your race plan for Sunday? I am a bit scared as the only long runs I have done so far have been 13.75 and 16.3! I'm not really sure how to run it. Think I need to take it more as a decent training run than a race. A bit like we did last year.

The kilomathon went well and I did the 16.3miles in 2.15.04. i was aiming to try and do about 8.15 miling and ended up doing about 8.18 I think so pleased with that. My legs were really hurting from about 1k though so it felt like a very long way! Was meant to do another long run at the weekend, but only ended up doing 8m image Oh dear!
  • Options
    Hi Sarah,

Great run in the kilomathon! I have managed an 18 (9:13 miling)the week before last and a 20 (9:10) on Sunday. I think the idea of a steady medium pace for Cranleigh sounds good.

How is everyone else doing?
  • Options
    Well done, that's great. I really need to get those long runs in. Do you want to meet before the start again?
  • Options

Sorry..I did reply earlier but for some reason it hasn`t appeared....grrrr!

Sarah...you really don`t need to worry...you will be fine and your times are fantastic...anything under 9 minute miling would be great for me so you are positively flying along.....just remember to enjoy it....good luck with Cranleigh to both you and Adrian, I`ll be with you in your pain as I am doing the Oakley 20 and will suffering my own personal agony at the same time!

Reading was great, one of my favourite races..just love running into the Madjeski stadium and I managed a steady 1.55 which I was happy with as I didn`t push myself and still felt i had miles in my legs at the end........roll on next year!

• Options
    Well done on your run runsout. It's positive that you felt you could happily continue at that pace. I have heard lots of good things about Reading. Maybe one for next year. Good luck for this weekend. Three races in three weekends. That's great going. Do you have a plan for it?

I think it's more the leg pain I am not looking forward to at the weekend, but I know running with Adrian (for as long as I can keep up!) will help a lot with that.

Did a 4 x 1200 on the track last night and boy am I tired today. Just want to put my head on my desk and sleep!
  • Options

Hi,

Well I can`t believe it is almost the end of the week and end of the month.....thank goodness! Just sunday and the dreaded Oakley 20...more than likely to be done in the rain looking at the forcast but that`s not such a bad thing as it has been too warm for me the last few days..... 

Am very tired this week..working til late most nights and still running, admittedly with less pace and milage than normal , and if truth be known I would probably have rested but new trainers to be run in so thought i should get out there and show willing! Having the next two days off in preparation for sunday although MAY go swimming tomorrow afternoon if I can muster the enthusiasm..........

Hope everyone is well and has enjoyed the warmer days.......if somewhat wet days....I got drenched today....new trainers too! Looking forward to tapering this year, found it hard going last year but think I will appreciate it this time round. My poor friend has been in the wars lately and has had an ankle injury and found out his new shoes are too big so he is not a happy bunny....no running for him til next friday when we are supposed to be running Grafam Water twice ( about 18 miles but a very hard 18....)

Well better get on, still an hour and a half of work to do......roll on 1am!

• Options
    Hi all,

Firstly thank you to Sarah for making a reasonably swift 21.2 miler seem like fun and considering it was wrapped up in 3:04 I think we should be very happy! Hope your legs aren't too bad, I am feeling surprisingly agile today image

How was your 20 runsout, hope it went well and to plan?

I am going to slowly take it down each Sunday now image

Happy running all
  • Options
    And thanks to you Adrian for keeping me going those last few miles and getting me up that hill. Oh and also for providing timing feedback after i accidentally stopped my watch doh! Yep am pleased with that considering my lack of other long runs and in theory we should be a lot more comfortable on a flat course! Ooh it seemed a lot more undulating that last year! My legs were hurting all yesterday, but are a lot better than i thought they would be today. My left side is a little sore, but can go down stairs ok. Weird!

Yep hope your race well went Runsout. We were thinking about you as we ran round.

I checked the date for Abingdon Adrian and it is a weekend earlier this year, so the same day as the Cardiff half image
  • Options
    Sounds as though everyone is flying at the moment.  Not for me though - I have had another set back with my calf injury so I have decided to defer.  Good luck with the long runs this weekend - the taper can then start!
  • Options
    Ah no, sorry to here that Richard. Hope your calf improves soon. I've still got a few more week till Riga, but go on holiday in just over that, so my taper will sort of start then.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Richard, hope it settles soon!
  • Options
    So sorry to hear your news Richard, bad luck on that but at least you have next year .

Well done Sarah and Adrian, sounds like you had a good race Sunday........21 +miles???? I thought it was a 20 miler ? Great time tho.......

My race was ok, 2nd lap was a struggle as the wind direction seemed to change and not in our favour , still I ran my own race and finished with a sprint against another runner at the end and still had miles in my legs, my time was 3.07 but it wasn't chipped and I started at the back so hoping it was more like 3.05 . The best news is I can still walk without pain and have been kind to myself and had two days off......mainly due to sick kids but if I really tried I could go out. Running tomorrow just a gentle 6 and then Friday supposed to be doing Grafam twice which is a hilly 19 around a rather blowy lake and guaranteed rainy conditions( I have yet to run round it without it raining!)

Enjoy the Easter break everyone, looking forward to tapering this year......didn't really like it last year but a little experience goes a long way and can't wait this year!
  • Options
    Runsout, well done on your run. It sounds like you're in great shape, especially with your legs recovering so well. I reckon you'll run a good time at London. Yeah Cranleigh is 21.1 miles. A strange distance, but took care of one of my long runs. How was Grafam? Is it really hilly round there then? I thought about going sometime to bike. I went to Pitsford reservoir on Sunday with a friend and cycled 2 laps (about 14miles I think). I'd have been up for further, but she was tired and wanted to stop. My knee was sore afterwards so probably a good thing. Have you started your taper now?
  • Options

Hi All,

School holidays and Easter have kept me from the forum lately but rest assured I am still here...hobbling a little with my dodgy leg but determined to get through london! I have  seen physio and am told it is due to weak gluteous medeus ( or something like that ) and been given exercises to do which I hope are helping. The good thing was it`s not a real injury as such and I can carry on and of course tapering helps and other than being advised not to run hills ( thank goodness ! ) I am ok to keep going!

Wow...what about this wonderful weather....isn`t it great! Have to say I am a little worried about just how warm it will be 2 weeks tomorrow....I know it was warm last year and would really rather have it a little cooler if possible.....still it`s good for the specatators and we all need them to be happy because for me it was the support from them that got me through and made the race what it is!

Now for my real news....I have booked New York! I didn`t get in on the ballot ( no surprise there) but husband has decided that we deserve a break away together and if I want to run a marathon during that time...so be it! I am excited and feel sick! It takes the pressure off London as I can now enjoy the day and run with my running partner rather than aim at beating last years time as I have New York to run in my own time ( if you see what I mean). We booked through 2:09 events.....anyone else been ....advice and tips most welcome! And if anyone else is thinking of coming along.......

right better go...working ....yuck....enjoy the weekedn everyone, speak again before London x

• Options
    Good luck to everyone running this weekend, last years run was one of the best days of my life! Hopefully the weather will calm down a bit and won't be as hot as last year!
  • Options
    Yes good luck to you all. let us know how you get on. Also hope it cools down for you. I can't come and watch as I am hopefully flying to Mexico for my holiday image

Runsout, that's great news about New York. It's great also that you are going to get a weekend away with your hubby without the kids. You deserve it.

Hi Lasger. Hope you're well... and still running.
  • Options
    just a quick hi to my FLM 2009 pals , and good luck to anyone running VLM - i'm running Stratford Mara on Suday - as a change from London - i'm still going for the beating of 4:20  either Sunday or at Chester or Berlin. Happy running folks R
  • Options

it is a bit like groundhog day after last year... I am hoping the experience last time around will help me tomorrow.

gonna be another scorcher though.

all the best to every one else running. 

• Options
    Hi all, I hope everyone taking part had a great run yesterday. I am sitting in the happy glow of completing VLM in 3:52 really rather pleased with myself!! image
    How did you get on Runsout?
    The rain at the start was very welcome!!

Happy Running

A
  • Options

wow Adrian well done

i ran a pb at Stratford - finally after 25 years breaking the 4:20 ; well pleased at 4:19 in the heat - anybody doing Chester soon ? places still available

• Options
    Thanks Rob and fantastic news on your PB it was a good day all round then image
  • Options
    Superb runs Rob & Adrian well done.Have you applied for next years marathon yet?
  • Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭
    Not applied for London - giving it a rest unless my local hospice has a place. I'm varying it a bit - if my back recovers on time then Chester on 31-5-10 Berlin in September then re set goals
  • Options
    I'm in the pot for London next year, but wont be fussed if i dont get in. I will do a spring mara some where i think though.
  • Options
    Well done to you both. Great efforts. It must have been really tough in the heat.

Am slightly scared for Riga now as haven't done much in the last month or so. KNow I am meant to be tapering, but haven't done much at all. Just hoping they don't have a heatwave there!

Yep have gone into the ballot for next year. Not getting my hopes up for a place though.
  • Options

Hi,

sorry guys.....taken me a long time to get around to posting after VLM...fantastic news you lot...really pleased for you. I had a nightmare....sorry to let the side down...ran with my friend who was struggling at ten miles...we stuck together and ran walk a fair amount but I eventually did the unchivalrous thing and left him at 17 miles as my legs were beginning to cease up with all the stop starting so the rest of the run for me was hisdeous and guilt ridden. We had arranged to meet at the 600m mark and I duly waited 10 minutes for him ( I was just under 4.30 at that point ) but was ushered to the finish by stewards ( I think they thought I may collapse or at least stiffen up ) and I finished with Lee Evans at 4.42....very disappointed for my freind who had been aiming at 4.30 and frustrated for myself. My friend eventually finished at 5.20 after stopping twice for back messages.....very upset for a few days but he has got over it and we are both entering again!...he is determined to break the 4.30.....HOwever..even after all that it is a great race and I had a great day and it certainly hasn`t put me off.....bring on New York!

Don`t worry about Riga....you`ll be fine Sarah...you`ll at least get round but looking at your times for other races you will fly.

Anyone doing Kelmarsh this year...really disappointed they have dropped the 15 miler and was tempted to boycott the race altogether but have always enjoyed it and the kids love the fun run so we are booked in and ready to go....

Keep running folks and will make an effort to keep in touch more regularly

• Options
    Well done Runsout. Good to hear you have entered again and not letting the experience affect you. You both did well to finish. It sounds like you have recovered well.

Yeah I know I will get round Riga ok. Just having a crisis of confidence when I think about how little mileage I have done and the fact that I have only a few long runs. At least it is flat though, although have recently discovered it is 3 laps and not 2 and that the temps are hitting 24 this week. Argh!

When's Kelmarsh runsout?

Adrian, are you going to do Abindgon? That would have been perfect for me if not for the Cardiff half image
  • Options
    Hi Runsout, good to hear you made it image sorry it didnt go quite to plan, but at least you still enjoyed it!

Sarah, Abingdon was fully booked, doh! so wont be doing that. Not sure Nadine was very keen on me training through summer either so it will be another spring mara for me next year.

You will be fine in Riga. You were flying at Cranleigh and hour mile times were quicker in that than I ran at London!!

Happy running all