Great North Run 2009

Hi folks, Just wanted to kick start the new thread before a certain camel beat me to it image

Comments

• Oooh, can I be second?  I'm going to try for this again next year. Did the very first one, and then last year.
  • fourth !! Damit !! Fifth!!
  • Great day today! I'll be there in 09! Ran 2 hours and 6 seconds, so need to knock those 6 seconds off somehow!
  • Just wanted to say a big well done to everyone who has checked in so far - sounds like we've had some storming results!

My (short-ish) race report image

Got there super early, but I wasn't the first to arrive from the forumites - Mandie & her brother Steve beat me to it (shock horror image).  We had a bimble along to the info desk to see Melanie from Nova - Hi melanie!!, and then a shortish walk down to the @balloon point' to meet up with the rest of the gang.  It was bloody freezing and I was glad I'd decided to take a blanket (hard geordie I'm not).  Got to catch up with plenty of the regulars, and a few new faces who have joined us over the last couple of months.

I kinda had a plan in mind for today which was just to get in my pen early and not get too stressed out.  The weather was perfect and before we knew it the gun went off and so did we.  I was determined not to take off like a whippet (as per usual) and try and be sensible.  I've no idea if I did or not, as I forgot to start my watch lol <<muppet>>.

After realising this I thought 'sod-it' I'm just gonna run how I feel, ignore the times and mile markers and try and make the best of the day.  And what a cracking run I had.  Chatted to folks all over the place who knew me from here, and realbuzz, and fetch, and to local club runners - had a whale of a time.  Spotted a lad from my running group, and stayed with him till mile 7, then he stopped to see his family so I was off again.

The highlight of my run (and infact my whole year) was the two guys who came past me at the start of the John Reid road, who said - "I could stay here running looking at your arse all day, what a great view" - fabulous image

Over the moon here, and I think it spurred me right on up the road, got ice-pops off the kids by boldon lane roundabout, then chatted to more folks going up the nook.  Even the wind on the seafront wasn't enough to stop me now, and I ran through the finish and into a new pb of 1:42:06 - over 2 mins off my previous pb

Happy Days!! image 

• Here we go again image

XL's 4 run plan

Run 1 - 5 miles. (DON'T think about anything further) Huge crowds, great atmosphere, bands. Take it steady, not too fast, you've run five miles or further loads of times. Enjoy the spectacle, and remember you are part of it. Those inspirational pictures of thousands running across the Tyne Bridge? You're in them this year. Yes, you're in the Great North Run, the world's biggest half marathon. Enjoy!

Run 2 - 3 miles. Forget the 5 behind you, they're done. Think only of the next three. Three miles? Piece of cake, you've done 9, 10, 11 .. much more in training. These three are all downhill, wheeeeeee !! Great news for those of you after PBs for the event, or even if it's your first time and you have a target. Go for it here, within reason. Unfortnately, the road narrows, so you may notice it feeling a little more congested. Be careful.

Run 3 - 3 miles. SLOW DOWN. This is where you need your mental toughness and/or your MP3 player. It's a bit of a slog up the John Reid Road etc and there's not much to enjoy, but hey, if it was easy, the medal wouldn't be as important to you would it? If you're a run/walk person this is where you may want to be taking extra walks, and psych yourself up, but don't start thinking about the finish yet. Just get to 11 miles

Run4 - 2.1 miles That's nowt! Of course you're tired but you're nearly there. Now, start to tell yourself that you've done it (almost) the goody bag is waiting for you, go and get it. The last mile and a bit up the sea front is fantastic. Huge crowds yelling at you, the end is nigh. Let your spirits fly, even if you're knackered. You can stop soon. If you're after a time, push, you know you are fit, you have prepared well, and as knackered as you will feel when you cross the line, the elation will speed your recovery. Well done, you've finished the GREAT NORTH RUN 2009

• great day today, my first GNR and at 10 mile poitn there was no way on earth i was ever doing it again.

then i finished and i'll be abck next year, nice to meet everyone at the start and sub 1:45 for me next year, just got to make sure the OH doesnt have any more babies !!!

• And, as promised last year, this certain camel has been waiting graciously, cheeky whippet image
  • Mr SJ - that hill at the nook is a killer really, and it's not the steepest on the course either, it's just that by the time you get there you're so knackered it feels like a mountain
  • was feeling ok til that point but i carried on through it and all my mile splits were ok and all around the same, so im really pleased. next year not only will i break the 1:50 barrier but im going for under 1:45 image
  • good on you!

I will get 1:40 at some point, but I think I'd prolly have to do some specific half training, rather than all the 10k training I do.

Though at least I was able to pace myself so I didn't break my 5 & 10k pb's (unlike last year lol image)

• a little spurt of sprinting and i would have sneaked under 1:50 , but i dont care. at least now ive got something to aim for next year.

• yeah, it's good to have a target (though mine has been evading me for the last two years now lol)
  • lol posted on the wrong thread image

to be fair it did have exactly the same name image

just a quickie to add - I got 46th L35, so I'm over the moon with that image 

• I thought you ladies didn't like giving away your age?

• hehehe  I'm not bothered in the slightest - looking forward to 40 when I hit the next category image
  • I know what you mean - I'm 60 on the 15th. Still no chance of winning anything in my age category though. Too many really quick old'uns. I only just missed best over-60 in the Kielder 10k by being a few weeks too young recently though. A field of only 80-ish helped! Well done for today.
  • Cheers image

Kielder is a bit of a killer - 9k straight up then 1k stright down at breakneck speed - you were lucky to survive never mind win anything image 

Yeah though, lots of really good local vets about these days  

• Evening- quick check in before I get ready for the pub.

Well done on the results Vicki, Shielsy, Tino, SJ and anyone I have forgotten. Just read my GNR times and I was on for 1:50 up to mile 10 I think and then really slowed down. Think it was Shielsy who says her legs went to jelly or it was like treacle or summink - same for me which will be my lack of LSRs. Mentally I felt okay, breathing wise no bother but aches in legs and especially the bad pain in these damn toes and feet was unbearable towards the end.

Am so glad I did it. Thanks to all of you for the encouragement. Roll on 2009 GNR! (not forgetting all those races - including Midnight Sun Marathon - eek! in between).

Today made me realise how far away I must be from where I was when I was running 1:39 and did the marathon. I expect the extra weight (and less specific training) is a big part of that so I'm not gonna be fussed - just pleased with my time - see, PMT - I found it! Good news is I have just been on scales and am my GNR target weight (okay, after the run, but you can let me off that one!).

Enjoy your night out those who are going and have a bevvy or two on me.

See you all later and am looking forward to hearing from the travellers how they got on.

• Richmond 10k fortnight today and Brampton (10k?) in November to look forward to - bring em on!
  • Hello! Well done on today, just posted in 2008, but glad to see 09 up here already! x
  • will we be seeing you in 2009 anson ???
  • Well done everyone !!!   (espesh my daughter image.......I am well proud of you ! )

Count me in (hopefully....) for next year image

I done my bit on the sidelines at Heworth roundabout shouting encouragement to all the 'names on the t-shirts' I could find (it's truly amazing how many folk don't put their name on)

It was just like a huge street party !  image

Vixx, it was lovely to meet you at last !  imageimageimage

• The crowds were fantastic along the way. They really helped. Very impressed by the support. The final mile was amazing, I was just too knackered to appreciate it at the time. Looking back, it was phenomenal.

Edit, meant last mile, not finishing line.

• Well done to you all, I run half marathons but always thought this one looked to be littered with a lot of organisational issues. But watched a bit on tv this morning and was inspired for next year-how do I plan the accomodation etc and is there a lot of faff to deal with?

Cheers

Rabbit