Options

Great North Run 2009

Comments

• Options
    MicknPhil - Run it, you'd love it. It's a great run with super support all the way - not many half marathons have that. How many runs have free beer on the way?? image
  • Options

All I can say micknphil is give it a go.  If it turns out to be not what you expected, then at least you know.  But you might also find it to be fantasticimage

You'll find that nearly all of the people who have done it, would do it again.

• Options
    this year was my first and i'll be back next year image support along the way is great and particulary in south shields where everyone seems to be out cheering, a great day
  • Options
    SJ - It's great how the crowd is right on top of you.
  • Options

Flabby - thanks

Mick - Yes, stupidly enough - i had'nt seen it from that point of view -

trouble is - i'm finding HM's short and boring now-a-days - sorry, i don't mean to sound patronising to others who find it an effort

• Options
    flabby - yeah its a great atmosphere and they really carry you along on that final stretch along the front. just no stop support and enthusiasm.
  • Options
    half marathons short and boring - image ;)
  • Options

Flabby - Sorry friend  

I thought i might have put my big foot in it

My apologies to anyone i've offended

• Options
    Good evening from a weiry traveller. What a fantastic weekend , thanks to all. Met some really nice people and made some new friends and even enjoyed the run.
  • Options
    lol micknphil image dont worry no one will take offence, hardly suprising when you look at the number of races you've done over the years, unbelievable !!!!
  • Options
    haha not at all micknphil image good to have a famous name on the forum image
  • Options

MickNPhil - I dont find it all patronising. I think if I had done the number of marathons that you have done then I may think the same.

Without sounding ignorant, the last part of the race is on grass, would wheelchairs be able to go via this route, or would they allow them to use the elite finish route?

• Options

Just playing with the results now.

I was 2nd of 167 runners named Catherine.

I was 1st of the 24 runners with the surname Charlton (yay, beat all the men!)

I was 107th lady (out of 14811).image

I was 60th senior lady (out of 7741)

Overall I finished 1444th out of 37123 finishers.

• Options

good - i'm glad everythings ok

i hope all of you had a truely super run

as a matter of fact, for FUN, hoping it ,might inspire some of you - i'll paste yesterday's  blog up  

• Options

Today’s perfect Kenilworth HM

Today we clocked 2.12.40 approx at Kenilworth HM, we had gone looking for about 2.10 - 2.15 ish

It was wet, and wet, and wet, easing off somewhat towards the end - it made the run simply very refreshing and so tranquil ,

Knowing we have Abingdon marathon on October 19 - and after a fairly bad run at Robin Hood FM on September 14 - we’ve missed the last two weeks running because of personal problems

I have been thinking to myself, what’s left in this old dog,

I set about some old tactics , knowing Kenilworth to be severely undulating and October 12th at GER HM at Peterborough ( flat so I’m told, )-

So, we embarked on what I consider we do best - clinical, methodical , ignoring it all - gentle but positive running - Running for fun, the way it should be - not setting any pace, or set time for part distance, just getting to the finish when we get there,

Seeing the mile markers but just ignoring them, checking the watch, but only as a rough guide, laughing with people we knew, and talking to others who where first timers - just playing with it all quite effortlessly, - gliding along without a care in the world, what a perfect day and run it was -

The key to it all was physiological self control, and not trying to go do anything fancy and possibly burn out, and it worked just like the old days a treat

Next weeks HM, though flat, we will just play with - NO race pace at all, that will then leave me in perfect condition in every way for Abingdon

It really did make it all so, so enjoyable, another day to remember -

Though we have a HM left yet, it’s a formality really, I can now begin to set my mind relaxed but positively to Abingdon - though it’ll just be another event, as were running the following week

Will we get anywhere near 4 hours, don’t know, don’t really care much, but on the day we’ll sure see, I won’t be losing any sleep over anything

Overall, it’s perfect, fabulas, still enjoying it all as much as ever

• Options

just over 37,000 from 52,000 places

I wonder how many didn't make it to the start.

• Options

MicknPhil - Cracking report, puts mine to shame lol

• Options

These bloody e mail forum notifications

That's the third from XL- man - and he's posted once

loads of times the same name pops up on forums mail notifications and there's only one post there

bloddy annoys me

Rant over

• Options

An hour to read back and I was supposed to be getting an early night tonight. How is everyone?

blithburysloth wrote (see)
    The top of my thighs problem is the same problem I had after FLM 2005 if I remember.I went to physio who said it was due to not using m backside muscles enough when running. Does that make sense?

BBS - apparently my knee & hip probs are because of my weak (but rather large) @r$e image  Were you at the meeting point? Didn't see you image

blithburysloth wrote (see)
    A run? Today? Impossible.

I'd have loved to have gone for a little plod tonight, or to the club to get the sympathy vote, but sadly didn't leave the office until gone 8.30pm image

Jovi Runner wrote (see)

I didnt see the Rich Tea biscuits - did enjoy the orange segments at various points though - just the job. I was also temted by the ice pops but was worried the cold might upset my already delicate feeling stomach. the GNR is great for all the little extras like this. I must admit I ma not a fan of beer - now had it been a nice glass of iced cider then I could have been tempted!

I also enjoyed running through the various impromptu water hoses - not to mention the kids squirting water bottles at you. I was actually a bit warm at the start of the race so it was appreciated - not sure how I owuld have felt on a colder day thoughimage

There was just so much on offer from the side, I ended up 'limiting myself' to the water & lucozade at official stops image  One woman in front of me really shouted when a couple of kids were squirting water into the crowd, saying something like: "you stupid little ****, that went right in my eye!" - I was appalled! Personally I love the way the kids get involved, and IT WAS ONLY WATER!!!!  As SlowNSteady will bear witness, I didn't like seeing the kids shouting their Oggy Oggies and not getting any response from runners, so tried whenever I could to shout back to them - sometimes it worked and other runners joined in, sometimes it didn't. But being from Cornwall, Oggy-Oggies cannot be ignored...

As for the temperature, I started off with my normal running vest and my charity one over the top, but within the first couple of miles I found myself attempting some bizarre striptease to get the lower layer off without removing the top one image  Ended up throwing away a decent £20+ top, but couldn't face running any further with it on!  (Think I managed to do it without revealing too much image )

• Options

Oops, bit long there. Has everyone gone to bed?

Off to find Vicki's "list" now...

• Options
    Mick n Phil - there was a  youngish guy (about 20ish) passed me yesterday just before the 12 mile marker pushing an older gent in a wheelchair - he was flying along, - the runner was wearing a spinal injuries vest I think - did anyone else see them go flying past? They must have started with the masses and he was certainly motoring at 12 miles. So, even if you start in with the crowds I think you will still get a decent race. Are you doing the Leciester marathon again this year? If so, I may see you there.
  • Options

Evening all image

Jo - I am from Halesowen. Feel free to email me if you want to know anything and I'll do my best to help

• Options

(hope I picked up the most recent one!) 

PS. SnS - somehow I recorded 1 second faster than you hahahaha image

A
    Andy Sly - 01:22:01

B
    craig_d60 – 01:57:38
    Vicki: GW - 01:42:06
    jovirunner - 01:55:41
    spesh - 01:28:28
    CC2 Speedygoth - 01:35:23
    Tino - 01:25:25
    flabby - 01:33:34

C
    Scottish Mike - 01:44:25
    Blithburysloth - 01:55:56
    Running Beard - 01:48:53
    Kenny - 01:50:20
    Captain Haddock - 01:33:54
    Andy Morton - 01:48:31
    Keith L -
    Mum on the Run! - 02:22:02
    David Wallace -

D
    Paul Cooper - 01:37:39
    Mick the Mackem - 01:47:07
    ymh - 01:41:35
    Zed -

E
    Mandie R - 01:58:44
    Just Another Mile -
    Slow n Steady - 02:13:53
    mr sj - 01:51:57
    Ang12 - 01:56:00
    dog runner - 01:49:38
    Mr K. - 01:57:19

F
    Blister Sister -
    Steve (mandies brother) -
    vixx76 - 02:37:51
    paul o'reilly -
    WTS - Deferred
    Yeti - 2:13:52
    Penkhull Puffer (Dave) - 02:14:50                                                                                                                                     Xan - 02.04:28

G
    shielsy - 02:03:17
    shielsys friend - 01:58:40
    mick string - 02:24:39
    Russell Nimbus -
    Roslyn - 02:09:28
    Stoxy - 02:17:03
    SlowlyButShirley -

H
    Raring to go -
    johnc - 02:19:28
    Liverbird - Deferred
    jaylo - 02:19:12
    RunLikeTheWind - 02:45:19

I
    motherhood - 38662 - Deferred
    hannah smith 13 - 02:00:48
    James1986 - 02:33:11
    Yeti's Friend - DNS
    Megs Mum - 02:22:46

J
    Michelle Sly - 02:57:01
    Hayley Moore - 02:57:01

K

Princess Purple Bubbles -
    Keep Going Lass -
    Anson N7 (Justine) - 03:16:04
  • Options
    Jo - I'm in Moseley, Electric Ocean, Vixx and Keep Going Lass are all also in the Midlands
  • Options
    Oops, crossed posts!  Evening Vixx, how's you?
  • Options
    Am good thanx Yeti - how r u feeling today?
  • Options

EIGHTEEN BLOODY PAGES BEFORE I GET TO SAY HELLO??????

What are you lot like? image

I missed you all yesterday but I wanted to say WELL DONE guys! You're all lovely peeps and I am already looking forward to next years race!

I WILL be there this time......image

• Options
    bond is for three years and they usually email you a week or so after the event if they have your mail

Off to bed night all

• Options

Hi LB - how are you doing?

• Options
    Hello Liverbird - you were missed yesterday.

Hope you're feeling better.

XL - I sent you an email as requested ... not sure if you got it or not?