Great North Run 2009

Comments

• I've got to stop being a beer pig on race nights, it must've cost me a minute or two, and made it harder
  • morning vicki up bright and early eh!
  • On pasties, pies and beer-a-plenty

You'll never run a sub-one-twenty

Mind you, I couldn't run Andy's times on a diet of rocket fuel.

Glad you enjoyed the attractions of Whitley Bay, Andy.

Morning everyone

• Up early this morning, (well by my standards, not Vicki's) with a very excited camel calf.

8 years old today - it may be a bit of a cliché, but doesn't time fly?

• morning xl. Just read the note about camel calf and I thought do you work in a zoo. Then realised you must be on about the bairn.

It's early so early brain waking up LOL
  • Hi, Parmo

You're not far wrong, I actually work in a comprehensive zoo in Newcastle, teaching 11-18 year olds image

• damn I wanted 400 will 401 be ok
  • Mornin' XL and a big happy birthday to the bairnimageimageimage - nothing like kids to make you feel old eh.!!! 

I'm really glad that we managed to get down to the Quayside on Sunday night and It was great to see you again along with Mandie, Mick, Russell, Paul Cooper, Mum, WTS, Stoxy, Kenny and everybody else whom I didn't get a chance to speak to properly.  Shielsy well done for all your hard work in organising the night out - it was brilliant to see your friendly face in the Sanddancer after the finish  (hope you get shot of your lurgi soon).

Not having done nearly enough long miles beforehand, I had decided to try and take this easy and to enjoy the day and take everything in - including ice poles, juice, biscuits, chocolate etcimage!!!  I had a great run from the back of Zone D, managing to jog across the start line before getting a clear run all of the way round and finishing with a sprint from the 400m point!!!  Very pleased with 2:04 which was only two minutes slower than my last GNR in 2006 and, unlike the finish of my previous five GNRs, I didn't feel like projectile vomiting, never ever wanting to run again and generally wishing to end it all!!  I though that the crowds were absolutely fabulous and the encouragement I received when I tried to thank folks for their support was overwhelming.

Before we left we booked the hotel again for next year - all I have do now is get through the ballotimage.

• Blooming heck - just caught up from last night! image

Great blog Scottish Mike - I enjoyed reading it.  I would have been peeing myself if I'd been on my own in a place, and there was any hint of ghostly stuff going on there! image.  Well done on your sub 1:45 too - terrific!

Happy Birthday to little camel image.

Hiya RLTW!  Glad you're OK and you had a good day.  Pity I didn't meet you again, but I remember you saying last time that your hotel was close by, so you didn't need to arrive too early.  I was thinking about you on Sunday, that it must have been an emotional day for you.  Good on you - you did great.  Can't remember, but are you in FL* in 2009, as I think you had a deferred place?

Still waiting to find out if I'm in FL* - postie's not been yet, and today is the last day for ballot results image.

• Sorry, Parmo

(Lied XL - image)

Hi, Col and RtG - and thanks, the little one has a busy day ahead - I imagine she will be one tired girl by bedtime. Most of the time I find the pair of them make me feel young, Col - but as I'm sure you know, they have their moments. Wouldn't swap 'em though. It was great to see you on Sunday. So glad you enjoyed the run again. Thanks also for those kind words, I hope things work out for you at the new place. No doubt we'll catch up again in the Bridge in June if not before.

I hope the postie brings you the news you want, RtG

• Morning folks, and Happy Birthday to the little camel, hope she has a lovely day.

I may have missed it but does anyone know the date of next years GNR? I need to circle it in my diary as I need revenge on it for missing out this year.

Hi Wee Col, it was great to met you the other night, just think, next time could be in NYC!! That would make Shielsy jealous!! image

I still haven't caught up on all the reports and posts while I was away but I'll get there eventually, you lot didn't half gossip while I was internet-less! image

• Xl what did little camel get. Anything that you can play with. That's what I like best about my kids birthdays especially the cars

• Happy birthday little camel! image

For those that were asking (and bless you) , I'm back running! (a bit)! image

I did a 3 miler yesterday to see how I'd cope and I didn't fall over and I didn't throw up. The only obviously "wrong" thing was my ears blocked up, but I can live with the last remnants of labyrinthitis if it means I can do Dublin. As the scan for blood clots was clear, I can take the Warfarin and not have to worry about dropping dead with a P.E now!

Now terribly speedy at 28 mins, but my legs felt really fresh and strong! I'm going to do a 5 tonight and see how that goes!

Russell Nimbus wrote (see)

I'm hoping my chest will clear up so I can get a couple of long runs in for Dublin or I might have to defer.

(((Russell))) I do hope you're better soon matey. I know it's less than 3 weeks away now, but if you take it easy now and concentrate on getting well, hopefully you can still be there. You managed the GNR in a very respectable time considering you're not feeling good and that should give you hope that once the chest gets better you will be even stronger for the Dublin one! Keep us posted!

• Good news about the 3 miler there, well done, LB

Be sensible though, eh? Good luck tonight.

Hi, Parmo - no, she's only 8, and not really into gadgets yet, thankfully. She's crazy abouy animals, and has enough Playmobil figures to populat e a large zoo. Our lounge carpet currently has a North American woodland scene, complete with Log Cabin, in the middle of it.

I must be careful to make sure I don't have to miss my next training run because I've impaled my foot on a plastic chipmunk or something similar.

• Hi everyone!

Back in soggy dorset after a couple of days in the tropical North East! Lovely reading all the reports and congrats to everyone for their PBs and, for those carrying injuries or recovering from them or colds etc, some fantastic times.

It is a fab race with the best support - utterly brillant day out. I didn't have the greatest run (blew up at about 5 miles from having wrong breakfast at wrong time - thank heavens for lucozade!) but a big thank you to Yeti and Slow n Steady for helping me along the last mile - I'd have given up if it wasn't for you two!  So chuffed for you on your PBs!

My mum and her OH loved it too - they did it in just over three hours (mainly walking) in spite of a night in the Rex! She was ringing other hotels at midnight but managed to get some sleep in the end! she's already talking about next year.

Sorry I didn't meet up with anyone else - one of those usual frantic ones - but well done everyone! And thanks to all the lovely people along the way!

Also - Russell - were you staying in the New Northumbria on sunday night? Someone (and his OH) sat next to me and my OH for breakfast on monday morning and he looked familiar............but couldn't summon up the courage to ask! I did spend a couple of minutes trying to get the attention of someone I thought I knew during the run (apologies to anyone who had a manic womanrunning after them shouting Tom! Wormman!)

Marathon training has now started!

• You're training for LONDON in October???image Talk about dedication!

Christmas Eve is usually when Mr LB has begun his 16 week plan for FLM in the past.

I was planning on training my left arm in all things alcohol until then, had I got in......image

But I'm a sad reject and hapless loser.....image

• RunLikeTheWind(www.justgiving.com/again) wrote (see)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm" 

I think I'm going to have that sewn into my running tops  image, might make me feel a bit better about my 'training'.

Hi RLTW - I'm glad you had a safe trip home, and I'm really looking forward to seeing you again next year.  Best of luck with all your marathon training - you're a braver woman than I am. 

• Russell Nimbus wrote (see)

Firstly I have to thank Shielsy for organising such a wonderful night out. OH and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Thankyou Shielsy for all your hard work. You are the perfect hostess.

Aw shucks, thanks Russell ... it was my pleasure, it was brilliant seeing everyone again wasn't it?  Can't believe it was a year since we did this the last time.  Really sorry to hear about your chest and shall keep my fingers crossed that you don't have to defer Dublin, but your health is more important than a race so don't push it.

BS - sorry to hear about your running problems - what happened?  I'm glad your mum and her OH enjoyed themselves. 

Andy - you're going to behave yourself on October 3rd, 2009?  I'll believe it when I see it  image.

My voice has returned a little bit today though my chest is still a bit sore, and stairs are still a huge challenge, but ironically I'm dying to go out for a little bit of a plod - what's that all about, eh?  I think now that the pressure is off I feel happier about pulling on my trainers. 

• Seriously, I will, I made a promise to anyone who would listen when we were in the Marsden on Sunday afternoon...........till 18.30  image that I'll be good next year image and will leave the image till after running.
  • May have to get locked in my hotel room though  image
  • Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm" 

Loved that one too,

• "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm" 

Love that one. I could learn so much by repeating it to myself.

I am off work ill for the first time in 7 years today. I felt increasingly worse on the train back from Glasgee last night - banging head, achey and shivers. The my colleague who was with me said my lips were all dry and white and my mouth was dry. So when I got home I went straight to bed with some Anadin Extra. Woke up at 5 a.m. and couldn't lift head off pillow. Flashed into my mind that I might have had a stroke (probably because of my Grandadimage) but now feel like you do when you have a bug. No idea if it is to do with the GNR or maybe I had bug harbouring. Bad time not to be in work because it is mad busy but I would be useless anyway and as my OH said it won't hurt for me to realise I'm not indespensableimage

RLTW - sorry for confusing you and RTG yesterday. I found the race tough too - for some reason needed toilet just after starting (SM - I see you had the same vuild-up in the pen as me, but I knew I couldn't run my best until I went!), felt okay until about mile 9 or 10 and then legs were so heavy and "deaded" and I slowed to 9:30 miles from 7:50-8:20 before that. Congrats on the *Snickers* - go girl.

[I still don't understand XL's aversion to the M word - is it a secret?]

Anyway, bad news this morning. OH got a call from egg to say that someone has hacked into our account and has taken, wait for it, £9100 from our egg credit card and £5k from our savings accountimage Egg lady said that they have retrieved the £9100 this morning but OH is waiting for savings lady to ring about the £5k. I have heard about this happening but I am really careful with my anti-virus software etc.. Makes me think we should get our money out of the online accounts and stick to the old fashioned passbook. I see from surfing the net that we won't necessarily have our £5k refunded by egg - we will see about that!

• Morning Shielsy

Glad you are feeling a bit better today, and I'll second what Russell said, thanks for doing all the organising and yes, the perfect hostess. image

Enjoy your little plod  

Russell hope you recover soon, us marathon runners need to support each other (don't think we'll hear from XL on this subject though image)

• Got to 8.5 miles before running out of steam. Jog/walked the rest. Took advantage of the free beer at 10 miles (Thanks Newcastle Hash House Harriers). Finished in 2 hrs 2 mins 5 secs, 21 secs faster than my Bristol Half  time.Can't understand why Phoney Blair was on the Starter's rostrum, someone from Durham County Cricket Club would have been better after all we won Cricket's County Championship the previuos week.
  • Way Too Slow (www.justgiving.com/mikewhitehead) wrote (see)
    Morning folks, and Happy Birthday to the little camel, hope she has a lovely day.

I may have missed it but does anyone know the date of next years GNR? I need to circle it in my diary as I need revenge on it for missing out this year.

http://entry.greatrun.org/EventInformation.aspx?StreamId=125

I don't think they have said yet but I think the theory is that it will be first weekend in October and in 2009 I think this will be 3 October.

• Bloody hell! I was hoping to be able to read back this morning but you lot wont stop posting!!!

Re next years date I seem to remember it flashing up on the screen before I crossed the start line that next years is October 4th.

Anthony - I too got my free beer. Very happy image