Great North Run 2009

Comments

• Well done to everyone,will be back on later to hopefully read some wonderful reports.Off to the pub now to celebrate a City,Blackburn and Tottenham trebleimage
  • Afternoon peeps image

Hot hot hot....in fact far too hot for me, I managed 1:43:44 - not too unhappy with that tbh

• Ready Steady Go...................................................
  • Some cracking times there from folks, just looking at the people who's names I can remember
  • Hi everyone personal worst for me today with cramp and nearly fainted at 7 miles but I think we all have crap runs somedays,I just chose today,Still be back next year.2.26 for me today,but I still enjoyed it.Cant believe how hot I felt.Off for a quick bath then my Mams for Sunday dinner.

It was nice to meet some of you this morning,Hope you all had a great day.

Keeny wear have you been hiding,did you run today

• Not a great run for me - all was going well to 10 miles ( which was a pb of 62:08) and around 50 seconds quicker than last year. The for some reason I started to feel unwell in mile 11 image and pace had to drop, before a quick stop off before the descent to Marsden, after which I was able to pick things up again. I finished with a time of 1 hour 24 mins and 42 seconds which is almost 90 seconds slower than last year and around 30 places worse off. Still don't feel that great now and have dropped almost 1/2 a stone weight image.

Whether is was the heat of today, someting I ate or not being used to powerade who knows. Ah well 363 days till the next one but have the 6 Stage Road relays in Leeds on Saturday to get this one out of the system.

• Not too bad for me, a little slower than last year, but still stayed comfortably on the right side of 90 minutes.

My favourite moment was seeing several women dropping wheelie suitcases of at the luggage bus, WTF ?!

• Another hot one? The weather gods seem far more interested in giving the spectators and TV viewers a good day. One day they may answer the runners' prayers.

Well done to all who finished.

Hope you feel better soon, Martin.

Where are you stalking results, Kelly?

• Just checked out my ex-student's time

Here's a tip for you folks, warm up for the GNR by cycling from Berlin to Calais (arriving in England two days before the run) - this will allow you to run a half marathon in 1:32:41 !!!

Wow

• afternoon all, not a great opne and not a bad one for me today.

was far far to hot and was ok upto 7 miles and was averaging 8 min miles and on for a sub 1:45 and then i hit the wall and my lack of training and fitness caught up with me big time, miles 8-12 were sooo hard and i really hard to fight with myself to not stop and walk, was determined that i would make it running all the way to the sea front and then i was basically home. crossed the line in 1:50:36 which is exactly 1 min slower than last year. im not dissapointed with it but equally not happy with it, well done to everyone and see you all later

• Still a decent effort, Mr sj - well done to you.

I think that's one of those results you'll look back on with increasing satisfaction after a couple of days

• thanks xl, strange feeling at the end when i wasnt happy or dissapointed, just crossed the line and went home and didnt think about it,
  • Just a quick hello for me - I'll read back properly tomorrow.

Well done Mr SJ and Vicki. I finished in 2hrs 23mins 8secs. I was hoping for 2hrs 20 but it was so warm I really struggled from mile 10 and had to slow down a bit. Never mind, I'm still chuffed with my time as its 27 mins quicker than last year image

I'm really looking forward to a Chinese tonight. And my lovely hubby has bought me a bottle of champagne to celebrate.image

• You've done well, can't all be PBs

27 minutes !!! Woohooo, CP - well done you. You deserve that bubbly. Enjoy

• XL-man wrote (see)

Go Shielsy !!!!

Thank you, XL. 

Feeling pretty image  image  image and a touch of image too this afternoon .... my dream of going sub 2 hours has finally been realised as I crossed the line in 1 hour 55 minutes and something - woo hoo!  Can't believe it, I really can't.  My pace was pretty close to my 10k pace and I just kept thinking "I'm going to blow up soon, I know I am".  Last 3 miles were really tough, and it was a case of hanging in there to the end.  That last mile along the coast gets longer every single year, I swear!  But what a view when you've finished!

Far too hot, and I saw more people than ever being tended to by medics - really hope they're ok.  But I ran through every shower, got water from every water station and took a few gulps and tipped the rest over my head .... that really really helped!

Bands and crowds were great as usual, and like last year, a huge thank you to whoever it was along the drag up the Nook who gave me an ice pop - it was the nicest thing ever at that moment.

Then got on my bike and I think I've cycled about 7 miles to get back home ... that was almost as hard going as the run! 

• Martin - sorry to hear you weren't feeling that great - I can imagine that must be a nightmare in that situation.  It's not like a training run where you can just call it a day, you've got to keep going regardless.

Mr sj - again, sorry your run was a bit 'meh', but still pretty good going in my book.

Chunky Plodder - image  image  image.  Tremendous pb, that's a cracking chunk to take off last year's time.  Enjoy the Chinese and Champers (come to think of it, I haven't had any booze yet - a coke at the Marsden Inn, and 2 cups of tea back home (rock and roll!)

I shall rectify that this evening  image ........................... image

• Hi, there.

Sub-2 in style - what a way to realise a dream. image

Reckon you could break 1:50 in a less crowded run, with better weather condtions.

• Shielsy - fantastic PB!! You must be feeling very pleased image I would love to think I could get under 2 hours one day.  I also saw a lot of people being treated by medics - some looked quite bad so I hope no-one was seriously injured. I saw one girl in front of me at the Nook who looked like she was about to collapse. Fortunately she had someone running with her. I found the whole run very crowded this year and it was difficult to get past people in some places.

Martin - sorry I missed you off my previous post. Sorry you had a bit of a disappointing run. Your time still looks pretty impressive to me though.

• fanbloodytastic shielsey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well done !!!!!!!!!

have to say i was also shocked and a bit shaken by the number of people who had collapsed on the final stretch, some people did not look good and i hope they're ok

• XL-man wrote (see)

Hi, there.

Sub-2 in style - what a way to realise a dream. image

Reckon you could break 1:50 in a less crowded run, with better weather condtions.

Oi!  None of that talk mister, it was bad enough people telling me beforehand that I'd break 2 hours, without  this new 'goal'  image.

To be fair, I don't think I was hampered at all the whole way, since I started in D so I was with faster people than in previous years, so that probably made a difference.

Cycled back to the Marsden Inn afterwards for a quick drink with Mick the Mackem, Mr K, Andy Sly and his entourage, before my cycle home. Looked for Wee Col and his gang when I'd finished in The Sanddancer, but unfortunately couldn't see them anywhere, so left.

Spongecake - sorry to hear you had a bad run too.  It was nice to meet you at the start though, and I hope your dinner was lovely. 

• Sorry, Shielsy - a little bit naughty there. image

Enjoy this one for as long as you can.

I'm sure being in a better pen helped a lot. It's still a tough course though

• Being very cheeky (Maybe you were right Vicki)

I now have an image of you and Wee Col in a crowded pub looking for each other, with step ladders image

• XL-man wrote (see)

Being very cheeky (Maybe you were right Vicki)

I now have an image of you and Wee Col in a crowded pub looking for each other, with step ladders image

LOL!  Awww - Wee Col and I are cute though!
  • Just about to leave for a meal with some old friends, but just dropping in here first. It was way too hot today, especially in the dress and capri tights combo. I started far too quickly and paid the price when we turned left at 7 ish miles and there was no more shade to be found on the course. Much slower than I would have wanted at 1.36.29, but I was never looking for a PB anyway.

ITBs were niggly from 8 onwards but only the one little twang just after 10 miles.

Managed to blag a massage in the Nike Recovery Cube and the fella reckons I should see a sports physio rather than just my sports masseur, so will have to investigate the possiblities of that in Nottingham.

• Glad to see some great times today,

My Mams Sunday dinner of mince and dumplings with loads of veg has gone down really well

I had a feeling I would struggle today with my lack of long runs,I actually fell over with cramp with about 400 metres to go but managed hobbled to the end,glad its over.

Shieldsy,I dont know how you managed to cycle,that heat wiped me out. your right about the ice pops,I had a few at different points on the course.The spectators were great this year,they give you a boost when you are feeling like hell

• Well done today everybody image

Was great to meet a few of you before the race.

Shielsy...bliddy well done, sub 2.00 is fantastic image

All things considered I had a canny run. I wasnt expecting it to be quite so hot and it sure was congested at times. Had a really rough patch at about 11.75 miles so walked for a few minutes and managed to 'get a grip' by just after 12. Finished in 2:13:44 which although not a pb at this distance, is the fastest I have done this race (last GNR was 2006 in 2hrs39) so I am pleased.

I do however, need to go and see a physio to sort my 'niggle' that I've been 'in denial' about since Windermere.

Roll on next year.

Once again, well done everybody image 

• An old forumite just popping in to spy on results. Well done to everybody particularly Shielsy on breaking the 2 hour mark - congratulations. Don't listen to XL ..... sub 1:30 next year!!!!

A bit hot today wasn't it. Last mile was agony.