Great North Run 2009

Comments

• Well done all!
    Will post properly tomorrow as very tired (just got back from my aunties were we went for tea pretty much straight after I got back!)
    Anyway, finished in 1:58:53 so pretty happy considering it was so hot and my knee was playing up after about 8 miles. Had to keep stopping tostretch hamstring after that but managed to keep running! PB of 47 minutes!! Ok, so my only other half was five years ago and I didn't take it seriously but a PB is a PB!!
  • Well done everyone who ran in the Great North Run this year! I hope you're all out celebrating!

• 17 year old newcomer to the great north here.

Well, what a day. Simply speechless.

2 hours 19 and 31 seconds.. which i was very pleased with for my first half marathon.
    I'll see you all again next year.

• Well done, Shielsy.

Your second terrific effort of the day.

Many thanks.

• what an amazing day, first GNR of many hopefully. bit hotter than the weatherman said with not much shade just when i needed it. Struggled at 10 mile and gutted at having to walk for a bit but got round in 1:56:06 so chuffed to bits with that. Was upsetting seeing some of the casualties in the last couple of miles, hope there all ok.

Well done to everyone else.

• Just wanted to come back on and say a big thank you to those forum members (you know who you are!) who've been so supportive of me this past year.

It's not been the best of years, personally speaking, and there was a time at the start of the year when I was very close to throwing in the towel completely (running-wise, amongst other things, to be honest).

The support and kind words from people on here really made a difference, I dusted down my trainers, and with some determination got a result today I'm really really pleased with.

I don't want to sound too naff, but in all honesty, I'm sure I wouldn't have done it without the support I've recieved from people on here.

A big thank you from the bottom of my heart.

XXXXX
  • times were up last night! really efficient work, a brilliant event this year but so many people..........

I was slightly slower than last year coming in at 1.57.45 but didn't have tat worn out feeling at miles 8 to 11

This was my 3rd HM in 3 weeks I am taking a rest now till Birmingam on 11th October.

Well done to all who took part.

• Wow! What an event! It was hot (hadn't expected that) and that was my first half marathon, and I had underestimated how much dodging about people and Powerade bottles I would have to do, AND how cheeky the hills were! Support was bloody amazing - high point was on the last hill where a little old lady was out giving plastic cups of water and choccie biccies to those that needed it!

Pleased with a 2:22 (nice number for runner number 47474). Not sure I could do a marathon though (and I am in the ballot for next years London...)

Thought of today: Why do they give out such big bottles of Powerade out when people only seem to have a couple of swigs and chuck it?

• Sally ,

well done on completing it is amazing support up there, you are right about the powerade bottles they were everywhere! half the size or smaller would have been ideal. And what about the jelly baby covering as you went through the Bupa Power Zone at mile 10,thousands of them.

One slight hiccup was at the end there was a small dealy in crossing the finishing line I think owing tto people taking their chips off too early, it doesn't excuse for people shoving to cross the line though.

Apart from that  a great day.

• I was aiming for 2:15-2:20 and finished in 2:23. If I do it again next year I'll definitely get more hill training in! Considering the conditions, I'm more than happy with that result, especially considering all the poor souls I saw collapsed in the last mile. I have to say I was very glad I'd bought a Camelbak the day before (primarily to carry my phone in) as the water stations felt too far apart and most of that water had to go over my head to cool me down.

The crowds were fantastic - lots of high fives and people (including Tanni Grey-Thompson at one water station) shouting my name to get me through it. I was also very grateful for the ice pop at about 10 miles - genius idea! It was precisely what I needed at that point. Also thanks to the Red Arrows for an awesome display at the end. Given that I only took up running because of a RAF officer it seemed pretty appropriate.

Well done to everyone who completed the race.

PS: Does anyone know what the BBC's Great North Run theme tune is?
  • I really enjoyed yesterday. Saw myself on the highlights on BBC 1 last night. I was stood behind some people that Jonathon Edwards was interviewing, and waved to the cameara. image

The weather was very hotimage for running, but the atmosphere was absolutely amazing!image

I got a bit of a twinge in my left knee at about 11.5 miles, but managed to make it to the finish line in 2:19:51.

Can't wait to do it again!

• The theme tune is called Local Hero. It's the theme music from the film of the same name.
  • Well done to everybody who completed the GNR. It was warmish but conditions were not bad. Started behind in zone B. Started off well. Despite two nasty injuries, still finished in 1.26 only 15 seconds faster than last year. Don`t know how but ran the second half faster than the first so might be coming back to form. Bit surprised that I got to the finish before the baggage buses. Didn`t have much time to celebrate as I had to get on the A1 back down south before getting stuck in traffic. Left Newcastle 2.30 got back home after 7. All in all, a good weekend. Looking forward to next year.
  • Well done Shielsy - sub 2 hours is a cracking time but to beat it by almost 5 minutes is some going, especially in that heat.

Mr SJ - you time shows how far you have come to be only a minute slower than last year with so little training recently. Fingers crossed that you can stay injury free to smash your times over the coming months.

CP- 27 mins - wow. Sub 2:20 definitely on the cards for next year.

CC2- I think anyone who ran in fancy dress yesterday is mighty brave so well done, especially with your recent injury issues. When I had tight ITBs saw a sports physio and since the I have had no issues - touch wood.

Vicki GW- well done - saw your time on fb - here's hoping for more favorable conditions for next year.

Andy Sly - a cracking time - wow!!!

Apologies for not meeting up with everyone at the nights out or at the start - would have been good to put faces to names, next year instead.......

• WD all!!

Well Sponge i did do it and was very rubbish  for starters i don't do heat at all!!  And secondly after getting to start with no real injury and being late i tried to lob over a barrier (stupid!) and put my hip out of joint and was in agony from mile 7!!image

Saw loads of people collapsed and a man having CPR on coast road (checked news and said no real casualties so that's good) finished in a time of 2hrs 49 20mins longer than i wanted grrrr just hope next year is alot better image

• Hi guys, just checking in!

Wow, some great times out there even without taking the weather into consideration. Not a fab time from me, only managed 2:15. I've seen a number of comments here that sound familiar though...even up to 15k my times were OK, still probably wouldn't have been a PB but I would have been happy with it. I was really horrified by the poor souls struggling at the side of the course, so many people taken ill. I hope they are all recovering well. Actually I had the unfortunate incident of dodging a stream of projectile vomit at about 10.5 miles image ...god I hope the runner is OK but it really made me feel ill for the rest of the race. I slowed right down and I have to admit I walked in places. Still, I made it to the end safe and sound so it's all good.

The locals are so friendly though, and all the runners are hugely supportive and kept me going when I really could have easily backed out after that incident above! Thank you to the girl running for Breast Cancer Campaign (same as me) who kept me going to the finish, you were fab! Jo I think she said her name was; couldn't have done it without her.

Also, how amazing to be sitting right on the seafront after the race, in gorgeous sunshine, watching the red arrows dance and prance. They were so close I felt I could reach out and touch them. That made my day and helped ease the disappointment with my time.

Anyway, well done to one and all. I will be back, if not next year then one year, and I will get the better of this course! It will not be my nemesis! image Training starts...well, perhaps next week heh?

• Hey - I ran the GNR yesterday - it was awesome!

Does anyone know the name of the tune they played (amongst others) at the beginning of the race? It has saxophone in it - and their are no words.

I'm sure it used to be played at football grounds in the 1990's?

To echo the sentiments above - I hope all of those people who were having oxygen and such at the side of the track are okay today! Apart from those guys falling ill it was a fantastic experience - and one I hope to have again next year - but perhaps running a fast time. I ran all the way and felt great at the finish - I did 2h19m which I would have taken at the beginning! image

Let's be honest - I only did it for the high five from Sting and all the free Powerade! (oh - and for Kidney Research!). image

• Hey folks,

Some great race reports, really sums up the atmosphere of the GNR and the accompanying highs and lows. Was great to meet some people before the race, and apologies that I couldn't stick round afterwards to meet any more.

My race was pretty unpleasant - not as bad as yours Martin, by the sounds - but it was never comfortable and I never really relaxed and enjoyed the atmosphere (as I have in previous years). Felt absolutely wiped when I finished, and spent the rest of the day on the sofa image It was officially a pb by 15 seconds...but I wanted much more than that (and know I'm capable) so a bit disappointed. Can't have em all, I suppose.

Still, it's humbling enough just to get round. When I was in the last mile, people were already dropping and needing treatment - and you can assume these were the more fit and trained end of the competitors. At least no fatalities have been reported.

Shielsy - Sorry I didn't get to say hi, but a fantastic WELL DONE on your sub-2 hours. You'll be winning it next year, then? image  Very pleased you've come back to the running malarky. Hopefully see you at another race soon.

MrSJ - I think you'll be very pleased with your performance in a couple of days times. Your fitness must be so much higher than last year, given all the nightmare injuries you've had. How are your legs today? Be very proud of yourself. And was nice to meet you!

Mr K - Was it hot in that costume???

Morgs - Was lovely to meet you too. Hope the treatment for the 'niggle' is successful!

Off to go hunt through the Diabetes UK photos from before the start - I managed to leap in the back of about ten of them!!

Hope everyone's having a good rest today image

• Ran my first GNR yesterday....and it was fantastic!!!!

Like i have posted before, i suffered with my knee in the build up and had only done one proper run in 3 weeks befoer yesterday and i was pleased with a finish time of approx 2hrs 6min.

After reading posts last week about not using the power aid stations unless you have trained with using it, i decided to miss the 1st station out but come the second station i was flagging a bit and grabed a bottle of the red one and necked half of it and thought it was ok.  When i finished the race and got my bag with medal for completing it i eat the oat bar inside it and when walking to the metro i felt rough and decided to pay £30 for a taxi to my hotel!! Half way on route i had to ask the taxi driver to pull over so i could be sick!!! For a good five mins i was sitting on the floor with my head against a lamp post puking up this red stuff..outside a church gate of all places!!!

Loved the expeirence of the GNR and wish i could do it next year but i will be on honeymoon though, so its 2011 for me now!

PS

Hope every one who took ill during the race is ok.

• Well done everyone, you all did great.

Mr K, what was your costume?? Sorry I didn't see you, you weren't there by the time I had to go and meet some club mates.

Anyone hear from RLTW or Stringy?

Have my next massage tomorrow image. I asked if I could do a short run, like a mile, to see if it has improved but he said no, wait until he checks tomorrow. I'll be too sore after that for a few days if last week is anything to go by. Hopefully he'll say I can swim now or cycle - I know I cycled home yesterday (naughty), but it was only 2 miles and downhill. Even if I make the start line for Loch Ness, I've got no fitness left with more or less 6 weeks off!

VLM verdicts soon?

See you on the 2010 thread.

• Oops - the theme music is "Local Hero" by Mark Knopfler - sorry - I should have read the thread!image
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all, Just a quick post as a nightmare to read back on this thing. Currently at airport. Firstly sorry for missing seeing some folks before the start - Vixx and kaysdee to mention just a couple. Saw Mandie, Tracey, Steve and WTS at breakfast and just saw RlTW - all fine. Pleased with my time of 1.48.03 esp in the outfit and heat...I made use of the showers. Well run everyone - cannot wait for the photos image
  • Hope everyone is feeling better today.

Well done to everybody. Some really impressive PB's flying round.

Managed to get a PB myself.
    Last HM - 2.25.32
    Yesterday - 2.16.58

Got to shake Stings hand at the beginning. I think he had had enough high fiving so by the time I got to him, he was shaking more hands.
    Got a blister from the timing chip at about 7 miles. Struggled with the last 3 miles and got cramp just into the last mile.
    I bumped into Liverbird after getting out chips removed. Nice to put a face to a name.
    A good, but hot day.
  • HI LFC runner!

Good to meet you too! I did 2.17.26 which IS a PW! image Didn't care a bit! image Found it really tough going at 11 miles and if I hadn't taken a short walk break, I'd have gone well inside my time so I'll live with that!

Back later to read back - got too much to do today!

The North East still rocks guys - friendliest bunch of people on the planet.image

• Finished my first GNR. Longest run I've had for...over 2 years? I think. Injured a loooong time and went from barely able to walk 2-3 km to do GNR in 3 months. Not a fantastic time but 2:26 is acceptable.

I can't describe how fantastic the race and the spectators were. It's just one of the experiences that cannot be described. I was exhausted up the hill before running down to the seaside but watching all the people struggelig, giving each other a clap on the back and cheering each other even if they were near death them seves gave me energy.

Thanks everyone and I'll DEFINATELY do it next year if I get an entry.

• LB - did you make it to the wedding? I was stuck in the car park for just on 3 hours.
  • This was my first ever Half Marathon or any race in-fact. Really struggled from the off with back/kidney pain (i think from standing around for 3hrs b4) but managed to get home in 2:24. Pleasing for a first timer but really thinking about trying again and getting closer to if not under 2hrs as I really enjoyed the day.

A Great Day Out   image

• It took us FIVE HOURS to get home LFC! But yes - I did go to the wedding....image

I'm convinced they thought we wouldn't make it, because when I walked in there were a few gasps of "she ran the Great North Run this morning and now she's here"image

And I felt dead smug.....image

• Hi all, Hope your day went well?

This was my second HM and my garmin watch give me a time of 2.08 and by checking the times on the clocks that was correct, but when my offical time has come out on the net it is 2.26 im gutted as this is my PB, anyone else had problems like this before? What should i do? is it worth ringing them?

Regards,

Matt.