Great North Run 2009

Comments

• I was one of the last lucky few to get into my pen (F) before the barriers were shut. A load of people had been queueing and were there on time but got sent to the back. As I was making my way to the start line though I noticed that someone had lifted the barrier for people to crawl under and it was teetering rather precariously - looked quite dangerous as it could have fallen onto the runners. I think they should consider stating that the barriers to the pens close earlier to allow contingency time for that overflow. Also there were a lot of runners from pens further ahead that were running with friends in pens further back which probably didn't help, although nice for them to all run together. Next time I really must buddy up with someone ahead of time!

All in all though the organization was very good, especially considering the number of people there. The queues for the metro afterwards were inevitable I think. Short of finding some miraculous way of making me a faster runner so I finish in about 1:30, I think I will always be caught in those! image At least the weather was good for it!

• lfc runner wrote (see)
    Anch - I was in pen E as well. I don't think that common sence was used in some instances.

Especially considering they openned the gates again as soon as the gun went off! It must be difficult coping with that many people and in the whole I think the organisers did a fine job, but not letting people into there correct pens was my only gripe, there was plenty of room and I was in plenty of time!!!

Can't wait for next year, will definatley be better prepared next year as I now have an officail PB to beat!

• GNR - I just wanted to remind all that there is a really cool race simulator website to view your progress as your ran the race by inputting your split times.  www.racemyrace.com - Its FREE
  • me and slow'n'steady got into our pen around 10:15 and it was fairly empty at that point, by about 10:30 it was pretty full and we watched with some amusement as runner after runner launched themselves over the barriers, one guy got caught and went a full 360 over and landed on his back and by now the barrier was really bent over and dangerous, then a big guy tried to get over and couldnt much to the enjoyment of everyone in teh pen and lots of laughing, this was soon followed by him wrenching the barrier out of its block and strolling in, at that point we didnt laugh anymore as he was pretty big image
  • Back home about 1pm, 5 mile recovery run in the bank. Still buzzing from yesterday, and was good to see a few of you on Sat night and after the run. I'll move on to the 2010 thread and tell the tales of yesterdays celebrations !!  image
  • Afternoon Folksimage

Got back from the North East a couple of hours ago; once again I had a top weekendimage

Didn't managed to get to the start until quite late (not helped by not being able to get out of Haymarket station for 15 minutes); as a result didn't get to see anybody wearing green ribbon image.

As for the race itself I managed to set a Personal Worst of 2:06:39 (a PW by over five minutesimage!) but ironically I enjoyed this one the most as I knew my fitness wasn't up to much so took it easy and enjoyed soaking up the atmopshere around the course. I also managed to be crossing the Tyne Bridge as the Red Arrows crossedimage.

I stopped around in sunny South Shields drinking ice-cold cider until about 10pm then it was a curry then bed. Not sure that's textbook recovery nutrition but what the hellimage

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Am back now...

Had a real blast this weekend - reports to follow

Have read back but forgotten so much but I think on the whole everyone depsite their times had a great weekend.

kaysdee - The outfit I was wearing was <------------- (but if you cannot wait there is a picture of myself & yeti, along with Excitabubble, Corona (from `my` parkrun) & many other Fetchies. This is where I was when I wasn`t under the footbridge - I did think I would only be about 10 mins but it sadly wasn`t the case - sorry again to those I missed saying `hellos` to beforehand. I will choose one or the other next time. 

Just seen something on Fetch....that it`s a Wee Col`s birthday - I`m thinking there cannot be two `Wee Col`s - so Happy Birthday. image 

• Afternoon folks

I'm at my sisters where I can get onto the Internet for the first time since last Friday morning, so there are way too many posts to even think of trying to catch up on!

Huge congratulations to everyone who ran yesterday, whatever time you achieved, but I have to say a special congratulations to Shielsy for her blistering 1:55. What a fantastic time, I bet you are still on cloud nine, even though you've had to go to work today (what a bummer - they should have given you the day off in honour of your achievement!)

I managed a time of 2:07:18, a GNR PB by 12 seconds, although 8 mins slower than my proper PB. I started off way too fast with my first two miles at 8:10 and 8:30 pace when I should really have been doing about 9:00 pace, and I really suffered for it later when my hamstrings tightened and I got a stitch going up the John Reid Road. I'm still reasonably happy with the time though.

Looking forward to next year already!

I'm off to find the new thread now as I haven't even looked at that yet.

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Hello again WTS image

Just looked my details;

Overall Pos - 4,926
    Age Pos - 651
    Gender Pos - 4,384
    Age & Gender Pos - 589
    5 Km - 25.08
    10 Km - 50.36
    15 Km - 1.16.15
    Finish Time - 1.48.03

Finished within the top 5,000th - I think I will take that all things considered image

• I got in my pen by the skin of my teeth - and ignoring the guy who was trying to tell us all to go to the back! - I really didn't need an extra 1K on the course.

It was a really fantastic atmosphere- and I was helped enormously by lovely Geordies handing out ice pops! - perfect.

Does anyone know if the "Push me Pull me" finished - one of them was running backwards for goodness sake!!

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Just looking up other results - my jaw has just dropped at some of the results

Race data 

JoanneS - I was standing outside the Marsden Inn when they were just about to go down the final hill - the guy at the back looked a bit concerned to say the least. Unsure of their time. Hats off to them - great idea.

• Just tried booking a travel lodge for next year, already fully booked!!image

• Went past the "push me pull you" fairly early on, wished them "good luck" I think they needed it!!
  • Hi guys and girls just catching up on you all. How are you feeling today? Very well done to all of you. image

BunnyPhobia wrote (see)

Just heard an "exclusive" on Metro radio. Next year's race will be the 19th September...

image That is the day of my sister's wedding so looks like deffering did no good.
    lfc runner wrote (see)
    Richard - Laughing stock of the office? What did they achieve at the weekend??

Agree sounds like they are just a butch of t*ssers and not worthy of the time of day.

Far to many stuff on hear to go though each one as a lazy rubbish man so best to give you all a (((big hug))) and big sloopy kisses xxxx

LB a PW in a packed race like that after the problems you've had last few months is nothing to worry about. But annoying because a couple of weeks ago I could have beat you and laid Liverpool to rest. Going to have to give alan some cash now and beat you next year assuming able.image

• Hi all, pretty much a newbie on here....

Not done much training, if any since 2007 GNR...due to work commitments...image, but got accepted in general ballot for this years. So rather than flog it on ebay, decided i,d run it ....easy peasy i thought, take it steady...(done it twice before 06/07).

AAARRGGGHHHHHH.....image, good job i,ve booked 2 days holiday from work.  Knees hips elbows groins...walking like a zombie.image

Felt pretty good up to around 6 miles then it started taking it,s toll,.. not able to get out of way quick enough of him that stands on top of bus shelter, with hose pipe....Got soaked. Sure he got me in spite.....lol.

But overall another top day out, massive thanks to people with bananas/sweets/orange slicesimage, looking forwards to next year....Training starting now.image

• Just back home from another brilliant weekend.  Not a good run for me but hey ho - you only get out what you put in and I knew I hadn't done nearly enough to do this race justice!  That apart, it was great being back in the north east and especially to meet up with so many of you yesterday.

Shiesly  your time was absolutely fantastic - when are you planning on coming back down to earthimage

Mr K
    thanks for the birthday wishes - I felt every one of those years this morning!

XL-man wrote (see)

I now have an image of you and Wee Col in a crowded pub looking for each other, with step ladders image

Oi - watch it mate. It's just your height that saves you image.

• joanne s...i checked their results and one finished 2 hours ahead of the other according to that!
  • Evening all.
    First chance to message on here as got back from Newcastle and 11.20 last night and been at work all day.

Congratulations to everyone on their results, some fantastic times in there.

I was chuffed with mine, 2.33.15, my previous GNR best was 3.01.00 so I was elated!!  Only 4 mins outside my all time PB aswell.  image

Hope all those who were receiving treatment were OK.

Well done all!!!  image

• mr sj wrote (see)
    ... then a big guy tried to get over and couldnt much to the enjoyment of everyone in teh pen and lots of laughing, this was soon followed by him wrenching the barrier out of its block and strolling in, at that point we didnt laugh anymore as he was pretty big image
    Lol!
  • emma - were you in Orange C??  I was supposed to be in zone B but as my brother was in C i decided to stay with him.  When we walked down there was no problem for people getting into B but as we got to zone C at 10:15 (bearing in mind you need to be in by 10:30) there was a queue - no problem we thought as the gate was open though he wasn't letting anyone in.  5 mins before the start (10:35) he SHUT the gate and REFUSED to let people in!!  We could blatantly see in that there was room and to just shut it after waiting for 20 mins was a JOKE!....  the people started moving forward and a couple mins later a guy lifted a fence and we got in with some others probably in Zone D by that time, then the guy opened the gate again anyway!  I was LIVID!  this is my 6th GNR and i've never had problems getting into a starting pen but this year was extremely badly organized in that regard!

Would have been really disappointed if i had to wait till the back, but i calmed down once we got in - i was almost stomping my feet with my arms folded.....image

Run went ok, not a quick time 1hr 49min but i found it really hot going and i ont did three training runs really over a 5 weeks before so i will take that image

Shielsy -  I seen you!!  My brother and I passed you on the start of the Tyne Bridge - i recognised you because it looked like your profile picture and you had 'Shielsy' on the back of your top!  Wanted to say Hello but you wouldn't have had a clue who i was! image so Hello!  You were looking strong and congratulations on that PB! image

mr sj - which pen was that with the big guy, i was outside my pen when some guy was furiously trying to scramble over to no avail!

• Still in newcastle and first chance I've had to get Internet access... how sad that I've been eager to read the GNR thread... lurker not poster but eager all the same!

First half marathon and managed it in 2hrs 36mins bang on the nose. Ran over 10 miles before I stopped for a little walk break so a personal achievement for me.

Re: the pens - I was in my pen by 9.50am (Green H) and it started to fill pretty quickly - I found the closing the pens when it was obvious that people were still stuck in toilet queues etc thing odd... people in our pen just kept climbing over the barriers to get in.

All in all fantastic day! Definitely thinking about trying for it again next year. Never thought I'd say that spending my Sunday cover 13.1 miles on a hot sunny day (I seem to be more tanned on the right hand side of my face than the left), running through two shopping trolley type showers, under two hoses (thanks to the guy on top of the bus stop at around mile 6/7), and eating some orange from an old man at around mile 11.5.... was the BEST way to spend a day!

Ah my knee is still sore and I tried to run earlier... not a chance... but I'm still on cloud 9 image

• Well done on the PB Shielsy! Fantastic!
  • RichardB wrote (see)

Saying that loved the experience it was fantastic and I got to wish Liverbird a Happy Birthday. image

lfc runner wrote (see)
    LB - sorry, didn't realise that it had been your birthday. Happy belated birthday and glad you showed them at the wedding.

It's actually next week! image I will be 21.....image

And I expect a thread with lots of people wishing me a great day or I shall feel very unloved....image I share it with the great non-sleeper known as little Miss SJ!

• Well done to all those who finished.  What a great day it was!

Can anyone help me with what may be a dumb question?  Because I am a bit sad, I record my finishing position in my races if poss (i.e. coming 200th out of 250 runners is not as good as coming 200th out of 1000 runners, if that makes sense.)

So, I have got my finishing position from the website, but the last runner (on page 1880 of the results list) has been recorded as finishing in 37540th position.  Yet apparently 54000 runners took part.  Where are all the other results?

Cheers in advance.

• Jon Carr 2 wrote (see)

emma - were you in Orange C??  I was supposed to be in zone B but as my brother was in C i decided to stay with him.  When we walked down there was no problem for people getting into B but as we got to zone C at 10:15 (bearing in mind you need to be in by 10:30) there was a queue - no problem we thought as the gate was open though he wasn't letting anyone in.  5 mins before the start (10:35) he SHUT the gate and REFUSED to let people in!!  We could blatantly see in that there was room and to just shut it after waiting for 20 mins was a JOKE!....  the people started moving forward and a couple mins later a guy lifted a fence and we got in with some others probably in Zone D by that time, then the guy opened the gate again anyway!  I was LIVID!  this is my 6th GNR and i've never had problems getting into a starting pen but this year was extremely badly organized in that regard!

Would have been really disappointed if i had to wait till the back, but i calmed down once we got in - i was almost stomping my feet with my arms folded.....image

Yes, I was in 'C' Was wearing a purple headband, and trying to 'reason' with the guy at the gate (and I am usually such a quiet / shy person!!)
  • Well done everyone who ran yesterday.  It was my first half marathon....wow!  I loved it......obviously got a PB!  But was really chuffed to get in under 2 and a half hours and make it round in 2.28.....without stopping to walk!!! 

I'm still on a high, want to do it all again......well i would if my legs weren't holding me hostage!! image

• well i was the only one wearing a nike running hat if you seen me - it was really annoying as if they said they would not let us in that  would have been 25 mins to get sorted out somewhere!!  Not sure why it was so bad this year? too many people?  pens not the right sizes as there seems to have been a few pens affected.... saying that i seen white numbers in the Orange zones.....
  • jon  - i was in pen c when the guy was trying to get over, it was bloody funny just seeing his head popping up and then crashing back down again, it as even funnier when he wrenched the fence up and strolled in and the laughter vanished and the nervous look of everyone trying to pretend they weren't laughing at him imageimage
  • I was there then! I seen that!  Yeah he started to climb like on a mission but the fence defeated him lol  I was tempted to climb it but i thought i'd end up loking like a fool! 
  • Evening everybody - I am finally home - Yeah !!! Stuck in traffic most of the day.

On a possitive - WOW WOW WOW - What a day - I will be looking for a way to book for next year first thing tommorow - does anyone know how or where ?

It was great to meet up under the bridge Sunday morning and to meet a few of yous - that's my bit of Geordie ! My time was a PW at 2 hrs 35 but I can live with that. I hadnt reconed on having to wave my club at nearly everybody and yell "yaba daba do" 50,000 times at the kids - lost my voice at the end !

Considering the heat / crowds etc for me this was the best one yet - the crowd support was exceptional & who ever the kids were giving chocolate around the 10 / 11 mile stage saved me - I was starving due to heat in my costume - if anyone knows them please say a huge thank you for "Fred Flintstone"

And those urinals for us fellas - great idea but I still needed the bushes during the race !

Well done everybody - what's next ???