Options

Chrissie wellington for BBC sports personality of the year

2»

Comments

• Options
    How can anyone have faith in a system, when LA passed every drug test he took??? When every rider who was close to him was smacked off their head, even his greatest domestiques where juiced up to the gills.
  • Options
    I understand what you mean. I don't think the 'leaps and bounds' ahead is indicative of itself as there are plenty of dopers that aren't way out in front.
  • Options
    Would have thought the way the BBC were so firmly rammed up his @rse during the coverage that Mr Phelps may win (no, not the man from mission impossible)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
  • Options
    perhaps there's not yet the depth of talent in the women's field that there is in the mens.  hence a very little easier to win by a country mile.
  • Options
    Flo Jo won by a country mile too! Remind me where is she nowimage
  • Options
    Vote coach barlos. More personality (and mass) in his little finger than all the yawny bike geeks in the world, put together
  • Options

Innocent until proven guilty but if someone offered me evens on Bolt testing positive some time before he retires I'd take it.   The Ethiopian distance runners and their team training camps in remote areas would raise a few eyebrows if that happened in cycling too but against that they do seem to have a culture of distance running there and the lifestyle is probably more conducive to it (ie they aren't all fat) than over here.

• Options
    I cant see that Chrissie is the type to dope.From what I can see she's not interested in the money - she's just having a blast racing. I doubt she's even got the money that you need to dope, I really think she's just one in a million.
  • Options

Sounds like a deal popsider, i'll take those odds. Shall we say a grand? Do you want me to email you my bank details?

nice idea an everything, but doesn't your average under sevens, inter school football match in some cousin fcking village in East Anglia with only 17 inhabitants, get more spectator interest than Ironman?

• Options
    Only cos the other 15 cousins are in line waiting their turn ...
  • Options
    Chrissie is special, how many other IM winners do you see at 17 hours after the start, greeting the last finishers coming in? She's made a habit of doing that. And I don't agree there's a lack of talent in the women's racing.
  • Options
    Ultra-Ironwolf wrote (see)
    Chrissie is special, how many other IM winners do you see at 17 hours after the start, greeting the last finishers coming in?

With respect, then all the male winners of the all 5 Ironmen races I've been to have.

I think the more telling thing from this thread is the general scepticism that has arisen in sport due to the drug cheats.  I'm not implying anything about Chrissie, in fact I couldn't as i don't really give a monkeys about the pros and wouldn't recognise her. The only sportsmen (and women) that I have faith in are the Track cycling team who are all tested so much and the very high profile anti-doping stance they take (ie the 100% Me team).  Having said that, Pendleton especially is in a different league to the rest of the world, so I believe it can happen.

• Options

From what i've seen and read of CW her attitude towards tri and other non sports related issues is fantastic. She's just a woman who loves what she's doing and is a class above the competition at the moment. I dont think (i hope)and would never expect her to consider Performancing Enh' Drugs.

and back on the subject the general pop is never going to vote for her in SPOTY. If hoy gets it it'll be summat rather than Lewis H or some footie blinger.

I didnt use PED unless we end up like tripetalkimage

• Options

I think Rebecca will have it for her swimming performance. I think she got into the publics heart with how genuine she seemed and how pleased she was. it got so much press coverage over the olympics.

I'm not sure that she should get it but i think she will.

• Options

IMO it's nothing to do with personality (Steve Davis and Nigel Mansell?) - it's more to do with really grabbing the public's imagination.  That's harder for minority sports but does happen for example cycling (such as Chris Hoy) or swimming (Becky Adlington).  They'd be my two top picks.

As far as the international one goes, I'd say it's between Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt, with Rafa Nadal in the top three.  I favour Bolt to shade it.

• Options
    But on return to the UK Adlington has dissapeared, but Hoy's been in the press at least once a week since, and will get hte vote form all the skirt wearers.
  • Options

It's got to be Ickle Shane.  The Williams boy set the rugby world on fire with his good little un can whip the big uns performances.  This is the IRB thread isn't it?

How about Paula.  She did show guts and determination to finish a race.

or how about A. Cole showing how a playaway multimillionaire traitor can face up to a few boos.

• Options

Sure that Walcott and Gerrard will be in the final 10 because there needs to be at least 2 in the list.  Add in some boxer, Adlingon, Hoy, Ohoragu, Ben Ainslie, Hamilton assuming he wins the Championship, possibly Nicole Cooke, and perhaps that leaves Shane.  No golfers?  Actually, the little 13 year old swimmer is possibly in with a shout if she's in the main list. 

On a serious note, then I really hope that Phil 'Charlie' Brown may get in there for a shout of Manager/coach of the year for taking the Tigers up to 3rd place in the wendyball top league.  However, I'd guess it would go to one of the olympic coaches, and rightly so.

• Options
    Ms Adlington has done a fair bit of press, and she "helped" start the GNR the other day....
  • Options

I reckon save your votes for 3 years time when Chrissie becomes the first lady to win 5 back to back Kona's.

This year the Olympics have offered up too many good alternative candidates - Hoy, Addlington, Cooke, Ainsley, Pendleton, Beckham...

I suspect the track cycling team have quite a good chance of winning team of the year - as should the rowers and the sailors too (please don't let the team prize go to Manchester Utd...)

• Options

Talking about drugs it was only a couple of years ago you'd get your head bitten off on here for suggesting that a multiple TdF winner might be cheating.   He wasn't the type, he wouldn't do that after having cancer etc etc.  

Oxy - as far as Bolt goes he's destroyed the world records that were set by a host of known dope cheats.   He comes from a country which has very little in the way of a drug testing programme.   So as Carl Lewis says "for someone to run 10.03 one year and 9.69 the next, if you don't question that in a sport that has the reputation it has right now, you're a fool. Period."   

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭

D74 you take that back!

I NEVER wear skirts!

[pads out in a spoty sort of way]

[geddit?]

• Options

How about Danny Ciprani as he's always in the papers and he's done well for himself after (allegedly) sleeping with a woman who was formerly a man, hence his Wasps nickname, to now be paired with Kelly Brooke.

• Options
    What about BtS for his storming GNR effort, or Barlos for just being Barlos ?
  • Options
    popsider wrote (see)

Talking about drugs it was only a couple of years ago you'd get your head bitten off on here for suggesting that a multiple TdF winner might be cheating.   He wasn't the type, he wouldn't do that after having cancer etc etc.  

Oxy - as far as Bolt goes he's destroyed the world records that were set by a host of known dope cheats.   He comes from a country which has very little in the way of a drug testing programme.   So as Carl Lewis says "for someone to run 10.03 one year and 9.69 the next, if you don't question that in a sport that has the reputation it has right now, you're a fool. Period."   

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just happily accepting your proposed bet, either you're up for it or your not, don't be afraid to say you've wimped out if that's what you've done!
  • Options
    interesting to read today that Ms Wellington and 2 of her training partners (Belinda Granger and Hillary Biscay) have split with Brent Sutton and his TBB team and gone with Cliff English in the US

wonder if all the kerfuffle over Sutton's unsavoury past life had anything to do with the decision as Chrissie has come in for some criticism for joining him in the 1st place....
  • Options
    Seems an odd decision as English is coach and husband of one of Chrissies closest rivals Samantha McGlone.

(well close in a relative sense)
  • Options

Sam McG should´ve married Barlos, the kids would glow in the dark !

& be great afferletes of course.