Girls only ... Period

2»

Comments

• Sounds exactly the kind of thing which could be good for me. It is so hard to basically be told by an old fat male G.P that I have to just put up with it.
  • You certainly shouldn't have too, go back and discuss it with a different GP
  • wiener dog-have you had all the family you want then

Mirena coil does have progeterone i in it

agree dont put up with it

• Yes Hippo no more babies.

I will go get this sorted and see a woman this time. I don't know how I've put up with it so long.

• so many women do-it amazes me does that

stamp yer foot wiener dog

• Liverbird re Mooncup

In public if there is a disabled cubical I use that as alot of them have sinks in there - otherwise its empty wipe any stringy bits off with loo paper then reinsert 

• hi, i have suffered REALLY heavy periods for the past 4-5 years and irregular ones for the whole of my adult life i even had HRT when i was 35.  sometimes its so bad that i couldnt leave the bathroom for an hour let alone think of leaving the house.  well, a colleague of mine had the mirena coil fitted and told me about it. i went to my doctor and discusssed it and had it fitted last year.  i can say that i havent looked back since.  ive not had a period since june and that only lasted for about 6 hours and was so light it hardly mattered.  it has really turned my life around and would recommend anyone to discuss it with their dr.

if you do have it fitted, make sure you take some paracetamol or similar first as it can be quite painful when its inserted

• WD, I take Tranexamic Acid tablets just during my period, and they definitely help.  I still have heavy loss, but it no longer means I have to get up once or twice a night certain times of the month, or wake in a pool of blood.  (You lurking guys don't know what you're missing........) There is also medication  you can take for really bad menstrual cramps.  I can't remember the name, because thank goodness, I have had much less pain since I had my babies. 
    Now that I definitely don't want more kids, I may go in for the microwave option.  It was suggested a long time ago , but tranexemic seemed the best option back then.
    I need those red blood cells to carry oxygen for my running!!!!!
    Two of my four daughters now have periods, and are really heavy too.image

• Marymoo, I'm not sure if you've had children, but as I haven't I couldn't have the mirina coil.  It's physically bigger than a normal coil, and if you haven't had kids, having it put in it hurts like hell.  The doctor had a go at fitting it, I'd taken so many heavy duty painkillers I was rattling, but he still gave up saying something impenetrable about risking perforation.

Anyway, there's an implant you can get put in your arm called Implanon which is exactly the same as the mini-pill, just much more reliable as you don't need to remember to take it at exactly the same time each day.  As far as I know it just delivers the same dosage as taking the mini-pill daily, so if you have it taken out of your arm it's no different from coming off the pill. If the mini-pill works for you I'd really recommend it, I haven't had a period for two years, or PMT, or anything.

I don't have an excuse for being an unreasonable bitch any more thoughimage

• Hashette - go back to your dr - I have a mirena and don't have kids. Can't comment on whether it hurt having it put in though as I was under GA at the time!
  • i had mirena coil for severe period pain, used to cry an take to bed , took brufen by the bucket load every month, i can honestly say the coil has changed my life am pain free and my periods much lighter -bliss
  • *puts hand up for being microwaved* image

It sounds PERFECT for me. My doctor is 106 years old and can only cope with scripts for Amoxycillin and Aspirin. If I tell him I want someone to microwave my fanny he might faint......image

I have two lovely kids who are all the blessing I'll ever want or need. As I only have two knees, I see no reason to produce another one I don't have room for on my lap!

(And Mr LB has been neutered)image

• I too have the mirena coil. No periods... brilliant.

It almost killed me when it was inserted. pain +++, I don't think that's the norm though. Many ladies experience a mild discomfort. I have always had terrible period pains and more recently fibroids and endometriosis. The mirena has all but stopped the bleeding and spotting.

Ever since childhood running has alway made my periods worse and I nearly alway spotted or bled when I ran hard. Now I can push and although I spot a little, I don't have to worry about spillage!

I hope the race was great and everything ran smoothly.

• I am lucky that my periods are not that heavy. I use tampons and a panty liner. I had all the heavy period in the first few years when I was a kid. I do remember the painful cramps etc. Use to go to bed with the 2 thickest towels stuck together.

• Mirena coil is  the tops.  Yes melmar as you say BLiss

When I hit my  forties     image   my periods started getting gradually heavier and more and more painful.  Yep  - having to get up in the night and race to the bathroom.  Not funny!

Having had my family this was a good option and did have it inserted under GA as had polyps removed at same time.    Try and go for it,  my doc was pretty good at the time.   Now I only have a bit of spotting for a day or two and best of all no heavy pressure/painful cramps.

Only started running at the start of this year  and  apart from everything else to think about I  have sympathy for you ladies if that first painful day approaches before a organised race. image 

BTW Mooncups are to be recommended  used them for a while to take a break from tampon and towel use, but unfortunatley could not cope certainly ofr first few days.

• Will the doc just let you have a mirena coil then? I am really seriously considering it!
  • Please think very carefully before having the mirana. It has a five year life. That is not to say that you can't have it removed before that time. For me it is a boon. For others the devil incarnate. The side effects are the same as those for the mini pill. I have spots, big spots, constant spots Yuck Yuck Yuck. But spots are better than having a period 24/7! I guess what I am saying is, take as much care over this decision as you would about going on the pill.

http://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.asp

Mine was fitted privately. It was the best route for me to go. the only other option was to do nothing until I couyldn't cope. Then surgery.

• I have spots anyway.....image

I have been going through puberty for 25 years! image 

• I agree with bikermouse on every point.  For me it has worked well - in three years time I will have it replace.  All I can say is do not put up with being fobbed off by unsympathetic docs.  Try and get referred to your gynae dept. they are the experts and so are you!!

Why  put up with it?   I have never thought about it like this before - but  lets say the first worst 3xdays of utter misery and inconvenience every month,  thats 13 periods a year = 39 days  

Hated hated hated most of all arriving for work with a bag bursting with towels, super tampons and pain killers, and trying to fit in trips to the loo around the day.  Had a fire drill once - yep you guessed it   image

*sorry rant over*

• I have seen these 'mooncups' but they looked abit scary.  does it hurt putting it in tho?  thought about it cos it's good for money and environment.  did have a cap thing when I was young that the doc gave me but never got on with it.  is it the same sort of thing?  not meaning to sound crude but is it one size fits all sort of thing?
  • Mooncups!

I still haven't plucked up the courage to use it!

I find it funny that there are two different sizes, one for people who've had kids and one for people who haven't. Fair enough? I thought so.

Then there's an age thing (if I remember right), where you need the bigger one even if you HAVEN'T had sprogs, as if your vagina suddenly enlarges from all the overuse they imagine it must have had by the time you reach a certain age! image

So glad I've had kids. It saves me the indignity of admitting that I might have bought the wrong one.....image

• lol gravity gets everywhere!

im 28 and have had one kid properly, but probably the bigger size image  

• How many have you had IMPROPERLY Chickpea? image
  • lol poor boypea got all confused and was the wrong way up.....nothings changed!!  so he got out the sunroof image
  • hmm I glanced through this thread yesterday.

I thought I was through with all this stuff - I am 56 so should be past periods but I'm not, I had a D&C last February. T

hen this weekend a nightmare weekend of flood. Today I went to the doctor for a repeat presecription of tranexamic acid, she immediately said 'have you considered mirena'?

So now I have a leaflet, a prescription  adn a decision to make.

• Beanz, do not know if any of the otehrs had this problerm - Mirena stopped me wanting to have sex but I am very sensitive to hormones. And i did not get a period but all the symptoms of.

Now Mr S. has been neutered but with 2 small kids roaming around the house  it still ain't that sex on tap I had envisaged...

I have heard about the mooncup - I thought it sounded a bit knit your own tofu kind of thing, but after your reviews ladies I am going to try it, I am fed up filling the world with tampons. 

• Stellina wrote (see)

I am fed up filling the world with tampons. 

That's conjuring up a really BAD mental image...... image
  • LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

*puts hand up for being microwaved* image

If I tell him I want someone to microwave my fanny he might faint......image

lol Liverbird

seriously it is well worth having done 

• Mooncups are amazing.

It takes a bit of getting used to but they are perfect for running. Not sure of the actual science but tampons aren't supposed to be very good for you as they absorb all you natural bacteria fighting stuff as well as the manky blood. My period pains have almost dissapeared since i started using it. too. Fab stuff.