Did you share a room with a sibling when you were growing up?

Well, the three of us are very close in age. Early on, all three of us shared, sometimes I shared with my sister, and sometimes I had my own room. Sharing was mostly a good experience, except I ruined my eyesight by reading under the bedcover with a torch.image

Comments

• I shared with my younger sister - was great fun! I used to tell her (and the younger two) that I was an alien sent down to do research on Planet Earth and the human race. I built up a whole planetary system, language and everything that I supposedly came from - such a shame I can't remember it! I had to tell them the truth eventually tho!

My sister used to leave me bluebird toffees on my pillow too. Bless! I miss those days - life was so easy then.

Mind you - we're all still close today so I guess the bond was created in those early years.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I did that too, moomoo!  Glasses like bottle-bottoms these days image

I only had to share with my older sister for a while, which was all her own doing.

She used to tell me stories about vampires and so on, until I was so scared of the dark that I had to share her room!

• Min, They weren't your sisters, they were aliens sent down to do research on Planet Earth and the human race, doofie.
  • Ironmin & Wilkie- I also used to tell them stories, it was great fun and later it enabled me to get zillions of ideas for novels and short stories which I have yet to write!image I finally got my own room because my sister threw a shoe at me in the dark which hit me between the eyesimage
  • Oh no! I've been duped! image
  • I used to share a room with my older sister.  She was great to start with and (like the rest of you guys!) used to tell me stories....but then we came into conflict because I was reader and she wasn't.  She was a sleeper!  We had bunk beds and one time she was annoying me so I kicked the top bed so hard she fell out! 

She hit me with a hot water bottle once and also an alarm clock and broke an indestructible tonka toy over my head!!....Mum and dad converted our second living room into a bedroom for me after that!!

She used to hit me because I was clever and sarcastic and she couldn't think of a quick answer!!  All in all it was a bit inflammable!  We're great friends now like!

• I used to share with my brother, but no real mental scars to talk of.

My wife shared with her 3 sisters, with two bunkbeds in the room (they were still doing this when I met her - couldn't afford a bigger house).  They used to tie the youngest up and leave her in the wardrobe - they said she enjoyed it.

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

I shared with my brother.

His farts were really bad...image

• I shared with my twin sister until the age of 13 and we moved to a bigger house with an extra bedroom.

At times we got on really well but at others we argued like hell and got on each others nerves. I remember slamming her fingers in the bedroom door once (it really was an accident), and she once threw a plastic ornament at me which whacked me on the forehead. The thing which upset me the most was when she cut the tail off my Cindy horse in some fit of revenge!

We were no more friendly with each other when we had separate rooms, but the rivalry between us seemed to disappear overnight when one then the other of us moved out of our parents' house.

• I have a rather active imagination, but we never had to share rooms

I was all on my own

So, when I got scared, I would drag my duvet out of my bedroom, find my little sleeping bag and when my brother woke up to go to the loo....BAM - tripped over the thing what is lying next to his bed.

I didn't mind not sharing a room.  But I liked knowing he was there

• We didn't share either PO....image

But there are positives to be taken from it. My brother had a formal introduction to the bath when he was about 14. Before that he thought it was for peeing in when someone else was on the loo....image

Boys are smelly....

• I shared with my brother till my teens he was 12yrs older and used to hide his mags, but I still found them image

The girl over the street used to leave her curtains open to undress, he could see her cos the nets didn't work with lights on image

• LOL, Nicko, you sicko! imageimage

I bet she knew you could see her.....image

• I shared with my brother for many years. Sad to say, we aren't that close nowadays, but I wish we were. We are two very different people, different interests, and live miles apart. Perhaps I should make more of an effort...
  • Your real name isn't Peter is it? image

*wonders why her brother doesn't make more effort* (possibly because she tells the forum he stinks) image

• Course she new LB, the tease. She was about my brothers age too so there were no training bra's if you see what I mean image

Cos my brother was 12yrs older we had nothing in common and I have'n't seen him or spoken to him for about 5yrs.

• Speaking of sibling brutality, when I was 6 and my sister was 5, she bashed out both my front teeth with a doll's leg. She never got punished for it because "she didn't know any better". Hah! As if!image
  • I had to share with two elder brothers the eldest of which would have taken silver at the snoring olympics only second to my Dad, most nights i would end up taking my quilt downstairs and sleeping on the settee, this went on until he married and at 18 i finally had a room to myself. I vowed never to share a room again but now my wife has taken up the mantle and snores albeit in a much quieter fashion.
  • *Adopts thick Yorkshire accent*

When I were a nipper we were dirt poor and lived in a two up two down back to back terrace.

I had 2 sisters, one older and one younger.

We only had one double bed with a potty underneath it.

It was hell (and no dodgy jokes please i was 6).

• Spent nearly three years living in a static caravan with the wife and our three kids while I built my house.

Walls were paper thin and our bed was about 3' 6" wide. Cosy you could call it!

• I should mention that I got along fine with my siblings in adult life! image
    Also: our Mum believed in putting us all together to get all the childhood diseases like mumps, measles, chicken pox, etc. at the same time so they'd be over and done with.image
  • I had to share a bedroom for years with my sister 3 years older than me. i hated very minute of it. the only time she was ever nice was when i had sweets. then she used to play doctors and patient with me and I had to feed her all my sweets as tablets. after the sweets had gone the game stopped. it took me years to suss her out.

I converted the attic in my house so my boys could each have their own bedroom.

I get on ok with my sister now but thats probably becasue we live 200 miles apartimage

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Before she got lumbered with having to share with me, my sister, who is 5 years older, used to be quite cruel.

She knew I was scared of the dark, and would creep up the stairs, making just enough noise so that I'd know someon (or something.....) was coming. 

I'd lie terrified in bed calling out "Mum, Dad, Anne, is that you??"  She would say nothing....

Once, she even hid under my bed before I went to bed, then lay there and started making scratching noises once the light was off.

We do get on now, though.  I see her maybe three or four times a year image

• Seren Nis- likewise, she's several hundred years away!

Wilkie- once, when my sister and I shared and my borther had his own room, we suddenly heard a very loud "boo" noise just when we had dropped off to sleep, it scared the life out of us. Turned out he had recorded the noise on a cassette somewhere towards the end of the tape, and put the recorder under my sister's bed...

What I hated most about growing up: I had to be in bed by 8pm until I was 15, even when I had my own roomimage

• moomoo wrote (see)

Seren Nis- likewise, she's several hundred years away!

You got a time machine Moomoo? image

Could I borrow it to go back to the 80's?image

• Liverbird- the event in question happened in the 70's! You're welcome to borrow my time machineimage
    I still use cassettes and proud of it!image
  • My goodness - I don't even use CD's now.......image
  • I have in the meantime made the switch to CDs- at this rate, I'll switch to downloading in 2020image
  • slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    I shared with my sister right up until I left home.  I didn't mind much when we were older, but I hated it when she was little because she had a bad habit of chucking up in her bed.  Mum would then put her in my bed to breathe sick breath all over me while Mum changed the sheets. image
  • That's revolting, slo sho!image