Nike+ Milton Keynes Half-Marathon

Comments

• Hi again bignosher  !! glad tosee you have set yourself a ... REALISTIC !! time ....2.15 !!....   NO PREASURE THEN !      image         STEADY TEN MINUTE MILES IS WHAT I SET MYSELF FOR MY FIRST HALF AND WAS PLEASENTLY SURPRISED AT THE END !! GOOD LUCK MATE .....I'LL FOLLOW YOU ROUND THEN !

• Bignosher of Leicester (1020)  -   2:15

Geves   2:00

Tim of MK (1879)  -  1:45 

runner bean (2549) -  under 1;48 n im throwing a party

mee meep (2548) anything under 1:33 would be great

DeejP (1976) 1:35 - PB 1:39:52 at the Peterborough Great Eastern Run

Getting a little excited now, using this as a baraometer for Paris Marathon 4 weeks later.

Cobblers Mark - 1:43 - hoping for a PB if it is flat.

My PB is 1:43:31 so if I can beat that then that would be great.  If not, there is always Silverstone a week later.  Beating 1:45 would be great all the same though.

deedee24 - anything is a pb but would love to get 1.59.59!!

Wine Man - 1:49 for a PB would be great.

Just entered online for my 3rd running of this. Have to balance current unhealthiness with general improved fitness since last year so who knows what will happen!

• Getting a little excited now, using this as a baraometer for Paris Marathon 4 weeks later.

Ditto the above. Want to try and go sub 1:37 but who knows, current training going fairly well especially last 4 runs so all down to how i feel on the day i suppose. Be nice doing a race instead of the much longer mileage runs i have done over the last couple of weekends.

• Yeah, I prefer doing a race to break up long training runs each week.  I've got Cross Country this Sunday then two half marathons the next two weeks.  Bring it on.
  • I'm doing the MK Half and then the Silverstone Half the week after.  

Last year,  I did the same double.   1:42.44 (PB) at MK.   Then,  1:41.06 (PB) at Silvo.    But I'm nowhere near in the same shape as last year.    Two sub-1:45s would be brill!

•  Did a  5-miler on the gym treadmill tonight in 39.53 mins.   Went through 5kms in a very decent 24.10,  then deliberately jogged the whole of the 6th km so as not to overdo it,  before upping the pace again for the remainder.   Given the jogging segment,  it was pleasing to come in sub-40. 

I've got the raw power,  my head cold's fading away, and my mindset's much improved  (although not there yet).   The question is have I the stamina for 13.1 miles?    I pretty confident that the answer's yes,  but not certain.

I think that my approach on 8th March will be to 'trail blaze' from the start,  so that even if I fade away I still won't clock a bad time.      Must remember not to overdo it on my birthday on the Friday too.

• My game plan will be to try and not to rush off with everyone at the start and hit my goal pace and stick with it, sounds easy when I say it like that image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

hi all,

looking forward to this one now. have upped the mileage severly since my last half..but perhaps not enough runs in the 8+ zone..most of th 12 sessions a week are 4-6.5m!

Therefore, not sure if my 1hr 25 46 of 3 years ago will be smashed, matched or not matched at all!

Although that was at Silverstone...they are similarly flat I hear

will be interesting!

• McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭

Got a feeling general lack of speedwork could be my downfall. Before last pb there were 5 5k's and a couple of 10ks in the months before but the last 2 months have had 3 xc and a series of weekly hill efforts with club so it'll be interesting to see how it compares come the 8th March.

Geves (3241)   2:00
    runner bean (2549) -  under 1:48 n im throwing a party

Got my number now....

• Dee dee.... I got 2.00.02 last year, so watch out for those precious few seconds that get stolen away by the Second-Stealing Fairy.

Seriously, you are not personally alone in your quest!!!

• I did a 6-miler on the gym treadie today.   Was somewhat 'weary',  so literally jogged the first five miles.  But I couldn't resist a bit of 'showboating' over the last mile,  so upped the tempo somewhat and clocking 7.24.     Good practice for my sprint finish on 8th lol.

Bignosher - I hoped you're impressed with all these massively long training runs that I'm doing (not),  especially in the warm on a nice yielding rubber-belt. 

• Me again.  Oh, exciting times.   Went into town today and bought my race-day running top (which I'll wear for both MK and Silvo).    It's currently being printed up with  "Tim of MK" on the front and back.  No excuse not to say hello as I fly past you on race-day lol.

No running for me today.    Tomorrow,   the intention (for now at least) is to do a decent distance at full race-pace.    This isn't something that I'd ever recommend anyone doing so close to race-day.   But my 'mindset' isn't 100% yet and I need a confidence boosting hard run. 

• Just about to go for a 10 Miler at marathon pace, see what happens with that and I guess I will have to use that to try and work out a pace for next weekend.

This running stuff is far to much like hard work image

• Hey All,

Sounds like plans are for the most part going well!

Deedee I'm with you on the time of sub 2hr, still recovering from some kinda germs, struggled on my 17 mile last Sunday and haven't the energy to do such a long one this week so have decided to rest.

Tim-  I will happily cheer you on as you as you dash past me in your super fast "Race Vest" where did you get it from, maybe we all need racy vests! hahaha 

Almost only a week to go Good Luck everyone and see you there!!

• Hi all - not running, but I pretty much live on the course. The marker arrows have just been painted on the footpaths around Broughton. If you see any with tyre marks trailing off from them it's Mrs SVT's fault - she's a hooligan when cycling. image
  • Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

It's March now.  Time for me to really start thinking about the MK Half (8th) and the Silverstone Half (15th).

Kit-wise, a new running top's already been purchased and duly printed-up front and back with "Tim of MK". Hopefully, the odd person will see the name and say hello. That'd be really nice.

Health-wise, I'm completely over my head cold and my left hamstring's loosened out.   No excuses - damn.

Pace-wise, I've certainly the capacity to run several fast (by my standard) miles. For example, today's first 5kms was at 7.45 per mile pace and the second 5kms was at 7.42 per mile pace   (NB I needed a long break after the first effort,  to better digest the morning's English brekkie).

Stamina-wise, I've absolutely no idea whether I've got what it takes to run ' hard hard' over 13.1 miles. I've trained at pace up to half-distance, but not really beyond. May flag. May not. Who knows.

Mental attitude-wise, I've now fairly 'perky' about training again. Maybe not fully there, but nearly.

So, what are my aims for both race-days. First and foremost to enjoy the events (especially as I've not enjoyed my last few races). Secondly, to meet old friends again. As to times, I'm aiming for two sub-1:45 efforts. May run faster, may run slower. Ce sera sera

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

My one real major disappointment is that a certain lady from my gym won't be taking part in her home town half.  

She's never entered a race,  but is nevertheless an absolutely  terrific runner.    She runs 10kms in the gym routinely in sub-50.    Just today,  she ran over 16kms at tempo in the heat of the gym.  

My guess is that she'd clock close to 1:40 if she ran the MK Half.   Maybe better  She's fit,  clearly enjoys running, has the pace,  and certainly has the endurance.     She's also used to running outdoors in MK.

There's part of her that I know really wants to enter next Sunday.    But something's holding her back and she clearly doesn't want to talk about it.    I've given up trying to change her mind.  

It saddens me, as I know that once she got there she'd love the day and go home proud of her achievement.   

Certainly,  several less able gym runners who I've persuaded to enter races have had a great time.

• Hey Tim of MK

as I said in my earlier post I will happily say hi as you speed past in your racy vest, sounds like your all set health, pace, stamina and mental attitude now you sound prepared!

I hope the certain lady reads these threads ...............and maybe she could change her mind! Lots of luck 

• Yes, I agree, Tim, get her to read this thread!!!
  • Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

If the lady concerned hated running,  I could understand.   But she regularly runs,  so presumably likes it.     

If she wasn't competitive,  I could understand.   But she's always testing herself and takes a keen interest in other runners.

If she was likely to finish last or not finish at all,  I could understand.   But she'd be in the top 1/5th of the field for sure.

If she wasn't fussed about racing,  I could understand.  But I know that a big part of her would like to give it a try.   And I know that a big part of her will regret not doing so come Sunday. 

• So print ,and post the thread in the gym or email her the link, or just beg??
  • Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Justruns

I'd love this lady to run.    I think that she'd really enjoy the whole experience.   But she's one of my regular gym-buddies and I don't want to risk losing that day-to-day contact but pressing the issue.  Perhaps,  she's got a very good reason for not wanting to race. 

• I personally think she is probably a good piece of     'EYE CANDY '    for tim of mk .........and at her pace will give him the something to aim for to get a PB ! NEXT WEEK !     image    

SEE YOU ALL NEXT WEEK

AND MAY YOU ALL GET A  PB !!

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Fit for Fourty

Cheap shot.    I'm a very, very happily married man and don't either train or race to ogle women.   For once,  my interest was genuinely selfless and best-intentioned.

Tim  

• Is there a closing date for entries on this?
  • Tim,,,, Can you not ask or persuade the lady to come and watch. That normally makes people think" blimey I could do that" and then she can be moved to take part in another event like the Bedford Half later in the year.  ..... Just an idea... See you at the weekend... Oh and best of luck both with the race and getting the lady to take part....