Options

Nike+ Milton Keynes Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Tim.. is there a Lady who can talk to her?? Sometimes, you lovely men scare us, not intentionally at all. And the beginning of a race is a bit intimdating with all those skinny vested men doing their warm ups faster than us slow coaches run in the race itself. She obviously has all the credentials to do a good time, but it could be she hates that pre-race side of it. We all know she will be fine, but sometimes she needs a bit of woman-ly persuasion.

Is there a Lady at the gym who can help? 

• Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

It's a good idea, but I think that I'll 'back off' and leave her to train in peace.

I'm 'shredded' just now. Very dehydrated indeed.   Will have to be careful not to overdo it this week.   Must take plenty of fluids over the next few days,   coupled with early nights.    Also, stop training completely on Thursday at the latest. 

• Options

Bignosher of Leicester (1020)  -   2:15
    Geves (3241)   2:00
    Tim of MK (1879)  -  1:45 
    runner bean (2549) -  under 1:48 n im throwing a party
    mee meep (2548) anything under 1:33 would be great
    DeejP (1976) 1:35 - PB 1:39:52 at the Peterborough Great Eastern Run
    Cobblers Mark - 1:43 - hoping for a PB if it is flat.
    deedee24 - anything is a pb but would love to get 1.59.59!!

Alistair (1844) - 1.42. This would be a PB

If I have a really good day may go under 1.40 (which would be great)

Training has gone well, tapering nicely but seem to be getting quite edgey at the moment.

Good luck everyone!

• Options

toby_banana - 2:00 I hope!

• Options
    Will people who entered online on sunday get their number posted to them?
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

I was having a click through some running books while having a coffee/pastry in the Costas in Waterstones.    In particular, the half-marathon schedules and advice.

The schedules all included long runs up to 12 miles,  the supposed 'cornerstone' of half training.   The importance of training outside was also emphasised very strongly.

The clear inference was that a diet of short indoor runs on treadmills wouldn't be enough.    So, it would appear that I'll 'crash and burn' by the 7 mile marker at the very latest lol.     

Alistair  -  Good luck in your 1:42 PB attempt and with your 'dreamland' target of sub-1:40.   We might find ourselves running pretty close together if I'm 'sparky' on the day.

• Options
    Meldy (91) - if its under 2.10 I will be having a bigger party than Runner Bean.
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Mitten - 1.4#-something
    Meldy (91) - if its under 2.10 I will be having a bigger party than Runner Bean.
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭
    Tim of MK (1879)  -  1:42 
    Meldy (91) - if its under 2.10 I will be having a bigger party than Runner Bean.I'll be brave and set myself a really optimistic revised target.
  • Options

Rain and strong winds predicted for Sunday (I jest not). Coming in from the west, so the first 8 miles not too bad, but mile 8-10 may be a bit hairy.

Lets hope the forecaster have got it wrong.

• Options
    Sorry, its miles 8-11 that are run in a westerly direction. Last year it was very windy and those miles were my slowest. Mile 12 felt easier for me, presumably because of the wind.
  • Options

Just checked www.weather.com and it says cloudy with some sun on there. 

Mind you, the same website says snow and rain in Northampton today but looking out of my window I see glorious sunshine.  Who knows?

• Options

Mine was on the bbc website, and I also checked the met office. Oh and brekki tv wasnt too optimistic either. Maybe we should ditch those two and pick the weather from somewhere like metcheck who always seem to be wrong!!

I suppose we will all turn up whatever the weather! And have a brilliant excuse for not getting a PB!

• Options

I hope the weather is better than that. I went down with Labyrinthitis last Friday. Inner ear infection which meant the room was spinning round. Signed off by the doctor for a week and told not to drive. So should be fine by Sunday !!! image I'll see how I feel but must admit I crisp sunny day is more likely to tempt me out than driving rain !!

If you see anybody losing their balance and falling in the lake then please haul me out before continuing ......image

• Options

If it's windy tuck in behind a big chap image especially on that westerly bit, it's tough!

Not running this one this year, but may do some of the route on Sunday earlier if the weather ain't too bad!

Good luck everyone, I hope you all do well image

• Options

It will be fine, there will be clouds to keep the sun of you and a nice breeze to keep the tempreture down.

What more could you ask for? image

• Options

Good luck on Sunday everyone.

Some of you have posted your numbers along with your estimated times. If you haven't posted your numbers please do so and then I will do my best to give you a shout as you cross the finish line. I will have your names alongside your numbers but not with your forum names.. Any idea where you would all like to meet either before or after the event.

• Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Tiring day in London today.   Got back too late to go to the gym.    So,  despite being weary and having a sore tum (too much diet Coke),   decided to go for a rare outdoor training run (shock, gasp, horror) to 'blow away the cobwebs'.

I ran 4 miles in 30.26  ie an average pace of 7.36 per mile average pace.     (1.1 miles from home to lake - 1.1 miles - 7.30 per mile pace;    0.9 mile lap of lake - 7.35 per mile pace;    0.9 mile lap of lake - 7.40 per mile pace;   1.1 miles from lake to home - 7.41 per mile pace.)

As you can see,  I went a bit crazy 'early doors'.   So, slowed down a bit on the way back,  especially as my stomach was sore.

On the plus side,  tonight gave me real confidence that I can run at the same speed (if not better)  outdoors 'in the real world' as on the gym's treadies.    I also know that my legs are strong.  On the down side,  I've still real question marks over my endurance.   .

• Options
    I've got a football match on Saturday so will have to take it easy over the 90 minutes.
  • Options
    Doing this mini taper (training for Paris Mara) is quite nice but as usual have the 'don't feel great' feeling, which i always get before a race. Hope the weather is kind as defo want to go for a PB, once i get home will post race No and Predicted Time on the list. Just 4to6miles this evening and then thats it till Sunday, hope everyone is feeling good and raring to go.
  • Options

Hey All, I did 7 miles and a bit with my club last night, am new to all this, should I run today and rest tomorrow?? I saw somewhere above that someone ran yesterday but said thats it until sun, I am always worried I will over train so any advice please guys??

• Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Justruns

That's enough.  Rest today,  rest tomorrow,  run hard Sunday.

• Options

Hey thanks Tim, though i don't do well with out exercise ( start to eat) so is there something else I can do , gym or swim or something?

• Options
    a bit of a swim would keep you ticking over and you'd be less likely to pick up any last minute injuries or niggles.
  • Options
    Eating is good, top up the old glycogen stores before Sunday, as Tim of MK rightly said, rest up, nothing you can do between now and sunday to increase finess levels.
  • Options
    Resting today and tomorrow, and raring.... ear infection seems to have gone thankfully.  No more running till next week now!
  • Options
    Ok thats great guys thanks, now what to eat the night before?????
  • Options

Been stocking up on provisions for Sunday:

Wine gums

Sultana and dried cranberries 

Sainsburys chocolate caramel shortcakes, the ones you only can buy in packs of 22 in a massive box. Brilliant for when you want to cram your face with sugar. Ive had to start eating them now so that I wont have tons left after the race.

Feel fat now. My knee is strapped up, had a few probs in the week, nice lovely physio zapped in, and Im just waiting for it to do whatever it does when the ultrasound makes it better. Ideal preparation for a race. Given up on the weather, al; the websites say different, except that its going to be mighty blow-y.

(Sigh.)

(Has another shortcake....)

• Options

Ian also of Leicester(1482) : PB 2:10:52 in my only other half last year, hoping for 2:00 - to 2:05, under 2 would be a right result!

Plan to set out at 2 hour pace and try to keep that up for the first 8, drop off a bit for 8-11 as it looks like they will be into the teeth of the wind, then grit my teeth and push as hard as I can for the last 2 and see what happens.

• Options

Good luck with that Ian.  My half pb was at MK (2:06) - its a good course to do it on, if the wind holds off.

Justruns - Pasta, pasta, pasta.... but nothing new or untested!  Porridge for breakfast, but also only if you're used to it. image

Watervole - what no flapjacks??!

Ooh, want to get to the start line now..