Nike+ Milton Keynes Half-Marathon

Comments

• 25 mph winds?? image  Right that's it.  I'm staying in bed Sunday morning.
  • look on the bright side Geves, if we were running on Monday it would be thru horizontal hail!

I take the view that the worse the weather, the better that first beer is gonna taste afterwards imagehttp://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/00020285.gif

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
  • That is true Ian, though I'm supposed to be abstaining from the sauce till after April 26th.  And I say that with the resolve of a woman who is holding a glass of red wine firmly in the non-typing hand....image

....that is one scary smiley you put up there...

• well the weather forecast has improved somewhat ... if you are finished by 12 you will be ok

If its like it is at the moment it will be perfect
  • Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

I've had a really tough week at work.  Very demanding.   Was looking forward to doing nothing but 'vegging' on Friday night and through Saturday.   But my lovely wife - she's just too gorgeous - had organised a theatre trip to London.     So,  yesterday evening we went to "Stomp",  then stayed over at the fabulous City Inn 4-star hotel in Westminster.    Mooched around London today.   Just back.   Tired, but so, so happy.  A wonderful birthday.   Best yet !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll play tomorrow by ear.   If I wake up sparky,  I might go for sub-1.45.    However,  if I'm tired,  I'll probably just trot around as a training run and 'keep my powder dry' for Silverstone.  

See you tomorrow.    "Tim of MK" on front and back of shirt.    Say hello please.

• Did you enjoy Stomp Tim?  I took my son at new year and we both loved it. 

Good luck tomorrow to all.  I'm really looking forward to it!  image

• m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Sounds like you had a good day Tim. Tomorrow is just another poxy half marathon, better to have a nice birthday. You only get one of them a year image

I'm not feeling very engeric this afternoon. Reasonably pants week for me too. Just had a nice couple of hours sleep tucked up on the sofa with OH.

Don't even know where we're starting tomorrow or at what time. Spose I'd better look image

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Mitten/Geves

"Stomp" was brilliant.   Now those guys and gals really did have cardio. endurance.  Wow, what a workout!

It is indeed just another half-marathon.   Actually,  it'll be my 25th since taking up running in 2002.   Back then,  I was a youthful 41 year old running 2:12.    Now,  I'm an old (og God, how old do I feel) 48 year old running  ?:?? 

See ya tomorrow

Tim

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ahh this is tomorrow!!

Which means saturday spent at home and early night! But you know it's sensible when you are fresh the next day!

Half marathon number 14 but first for a year and only my 5th different venue...so a pleasing change!

In terms of aims for tomorrow..i've gone with the acceptable/ good/ best case scenario approach and in that order the targets are

acceptable         just finish!

good                  beat my pb of 1hr 25 46 set 3 years ago off way less mileage

excellent          anything around 1hr 22-24 would batter a large chunk off the pb which would put the icing on the cake!

good luck all

my fellow running partner has a current pb of 1hr 33 ish..but this I'm sure will be obliterated...i can see a sub 1hr 30 as much as he'll deny it!!

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

I quite like that 'three tier' approach.    Well,  here goes:-

acceptable -  Anywhere between 1:45 and 1:50

good  -   come close for my best of 1:42.44 over this course

excellent  (aka fantasy land)   -  beat my 1:41.09 half PB,   ideally dipping under 1:40   

• on the same theme....

unacceptable

• not finishing
    • finishing slower than my pb of 2:10:52.
    • being overtaken by anyone in a gorilla costume in the sprint for the line!!

acceptable 2:05 - 2:10

good 2:00 -  2:05

icing on the cake sub 2

sprinkles on top of the icing do it all without getting rained on or blown away!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well good luck fellas..hope we all get our excellent scenarios!

I'm off to bed now..hopefully to get some..and not to lay there with nerves!

hopefully the weather will be perfect running conditions...little cold...no real wind...and only sprinkles of rain if any.

looking forward to this now.

• OK then, this will be my 7th half but first for 18 months or so... tomorrow's scenario...

acceptable 2:07 - 2:15

good 2:00 - 2:06

icing on the cake ... any faster

• Following the same theme as above -

Acceptable: 1:37 - 1:39

Good: 1:35 - 1:36

Icing on the Cake: 1:34:59 or less

Strange just realised this will be my first ever Half Mara road race, which considering i've done a fair few races over the years is strange. Do like my trail / off raod events though so thats probably why.

Good luck to all for tomorrow, i am race no 1181.

• Well I'm in dreamland.  A PB and almost 3 minutes quicker. 

1h40m49s on my watch.  I am in dreamland indeed.

Great course as well, really nice scenery around the lakes and parks and great to see some support along the way.

Bring on Silverstone next week.  image

Hope you all had a great race too.

• m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Well done Mark.

I'm also well chuffed - pb of 4 minutes imageimageimageimage

Race report from my tri website:

Race number 3 of the year and pb number 3 of the year.

Race plan was to set off and not look at my watch until half way - that way I didn't need to worry about what pace I was going or what my heart rate was doing.

Looked at mile 7 & I was averaging 7.36 minute miles & my HR was 190

I tried to hang on but started to struggle around mile 9 and had a horrible mile 10-11 as we turned into a head wind

During the last mile I was hoping for under 1:44 but misjudged the distance left & couldn't sprint for long enough. Felt sick.

One thing I must learn is that I always get hot running - started with my arm warmers on but by mile 2 they were down my shorts

Chatted to [some club mates] at the start but didn't see them at the end as I didn't hang around to wait for the rain.

Stats here http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7753551

Mitts

• Yeah, great race.  I got a PB but not quite what I was aiming for, still happy though. 

I came in in 1:36:07 (ish).

Wind was interestin around parts of the lake and around mile 10 image

Only complaint I would say is that there were no pens at the begning for estimnated finish times and I think that caused alot of congestion at the start which could have been reduced.

Marshalling was great and crowd support was good too.

Hope you all enjoyed yourselves.

• m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Mile 10-11 was horrible image
  • Massive head wind from Willen Lake onwards, certainly made it more challenging anyway.

Well done Mitten too, great PB.

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

This was my 25th half-marathon,  so I've had plenty of opportunities to learn what to do and, more importantly, what not to do.   But today,  for whatever reason,  logic went 'out of the window' and I went totally insane.   I didn't respect the distance.

Rather,  I set off liked a 'badged' lunatic and ran the first two miles at 5-mile PB pace  (ie 7.17 per mile).   I did ease off a little after that,  but nowhere, nowhere near enough.   My time through 10kms was faster than all except one of my actual 10kms race times!    The craziness continued,  with my 10-mile split shattering my personal best over that distance in 10-mile races.  

Of course,  the inevitable happened.  The 'wheels came off'.   Not mentally, but physically.   As a result,  I had to take perhaps half a dozen (can't remember exactly) walk breaks during Miles 11 and 12.   I reconciled myself to a 'coping strategy' to nurse me home.

However,  just before the Mile 12 marker,  everything just clicked back into place.   Maybe the walk breaks helped,   I don't know.     I ended with a very 'sparky' last mile or so.     The last 200 metres,  I was at full pelt.

I think that I might have PB'd today,  although I was too 'befuddled' to care much about my stop-watch.   I'll await the chip time.   

If I did PB,  I can have no complaints whatsoever.    Especially, given my wholly inappropriate training regime of mainly short treadmill efforts and the fact that I came to the start line pretty tired.

But I can't help thinking what might have been had I held it together.   Perhaps,  my 'holy grail' of a sub-100 minute half?

But I live to fight another day.   The Silverstone Half next Sunday,  to be exact.    That's if I can face doing it all again in just 8 days - groan.       

Thanks go to Nick for the lifts there and back and for his excellent company!  

• I predicted 1.42 and that was the result - 1.42.30 - a PB as well! image

Felt pretty good to mile 9 but the wind really took it's toll and by mile 12 I was shattered.

I only enter a race year (family and work commitments come first) so I'm quite happy to keep improving - slowly! One day I'll do sub 1.40.

Well done everyone - sounds like most people are happy with their times!

See you next year!

• well it seems like a lot of successful runs, despite the best efforts of the weather.  I did 2:02:47, which beats my pb by about 8 mins!! image

was on course for sub 2 hours all the way through to mile 10, then the wind just killed me for the next 2 miles, so it wasn't to be.  Just about threw up after finishing though, so don't think I missed out due to lack of effort!

still chuffed with the time though, only downside of the day was getting caught in the driving icy rain while waiting for friends to finish.  Thankfully they weren't too far behind me!

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

It seems like a lot of us had a hard time through Miles 11 and 12!

• tell me about it!  there was a bit more uphill than i was expecting in that phase of the race, and the 2 bridges near the end were both killers.  both going up, and coming down the other side!
  • well done every one !! i got a pb by about 3 mins  !!! tim of mk !! im local - do you think it helps knowing the route or hinders your mind games !!! i wasnt prepaired for 10-11 marker and i live here !!           anyone know how bignosher got on in his first half !! ( earlier in forum ! )  great run though and will be back again !!      THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT GUYS , AND GIRLS !!!!!  INEEDEDIT !!!!  

ROB image!!

• FFF - i've done 2 halfs, my home town one in Leicester, and the MK one today.  I definately preferred knowing the route in Leicester, so was prepared for every little up, down, bend etc in the route.  Knowing where the mile markers would be also helped me, as I always knew how far away each one was, and helped me with the mind games as I ticked each one off.

• The sunshine & organization I thought was superb, plus a really decent medal at the finish rather than some of the tat ones you get, (yes I know they all count, but...).

Interesting comment about the pens as I thought this was one of the bigger races I've done where it was OK without them. I strolled over to the start at about 10:20 and you could simply walk up the pavement and use the access points to join the mass start where you felt comftable.  Once in the mass start there was still plenty of room to get a bit closer to the actual start line without barging your way through if thats where you wanted to be. The issue I saw even starting about 25m from the start line was the usual idiots who ignored both common sense and the PAs many announcments to start at the front despite the fact they where clearly ill advised to do so. One idiot was in a full wardrobe of trainers, tights, shorts. t-shitys and open/flapping windjacket - he was nearly walking and getting in everyones way.

Converse to this are the idiots who tried to barge there way through. Some fool in all black Nike regalia was weaving like an idiot & underpassing at tight corners to pass as many people as possible in the first 2 miles. Needless to say I had a wry smile when I passed him again at about the 5 mile mark and he had alreday dropped anchor for the day. I'm watching the European Indoors and the 800m runners have better ettiquette.

Only other gripes where the wind, defo felt strong & against from about mile 8 to 12, by the time I got to 10 I was knackered; but no matter where you run the weather is always in the lap of the Gods.

But the real issue was the seemingly constand rise & falls as you navigated the underpasses.  Yes, this is a flat course on the map, but not a flat one to run as they effect your rhythm. Personally a good professional race, but if you want a PB I'd stick to Wokingham or Silverstone.

• Just got back from the run. Had my wallet, phone and camera stolen from my bag while i was running. I had left it in the baggage area, which apparently wasn't actually manned. they just locked the doors for a bit. spoke to a few other people and one guy had his sat nav stolen and a woman had her phone stolen.

i know bags are left at your own risk but didn't have anywhere else to put it. pretty rotten that people can be so low. thankfully a very kind person gave me a lift to the train station and i was lucky i suppose to find my train ticket at the bottom of my bag! had quite a nice day otherwise.

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

There were a fair few 'bargers' today,  which is sad.  I got shoved quite hard in the back at one drinks station,  despite observing race etiquette.   Also,  got elbowed by some prat who'd turned up late and was intent on shoving his way through regardless.

Tragic about those who lost stuff as well.   This is fast becoming a big race and has many, many organisational positives.   However,  I think that safe storage for those who've come by public transport is a must.