Nike+ Milton Keynes Half-Marathon

Comments

• m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

FunkyD - that's crap. Feel really imageimageimageimage for you

I know they say 'at your own risk, blah blah' but you think you can trust people at these running type events.

I think it's really poor that someone managed to go through so many bags without being noticed. Surely if they kept just 1 person looking after the bags it would deter people from doing such a thing.

• yeah, the bags are easy pickings if nobody's even watching them. i did the mayhill massacre last month and you had to attach a tag with your race number to your bag. and a chap who had been looking after the bags gave you your bag once he'd matched the number on the tag to the number on your shirt. i know it's probably a very boring job, especially for a volunteer but it's pretty important.

luckily,  the end of my credit card was already snapped off and i was due a free phone upgrade. but i will never get those boots advantage points back!!! image

• Hi all, just a big congratulations to you all for your impressive times and PBs!! (how?!!), particularly in the conditions.

It's disgusting about the thefts . . . surely one person could have guarded the bags or a rota set up?

Unfortunately I didn't make the start line . . . I've had a temperature, tickly cough and ear infection since last Thursday. I left it as late as 9am today to make the decision but felt I don't want my first race to be an ordeal. I tried a test run of half a mile but felt dizzy at no great pace.

Anyway, rather than spoil the weekend I travelled with family to view from the Willen Lake sports centre (mile 4). Such an impressive sight to see you all stream past.

Just feel gutted now I'm back . . . the mickey taking at work will add to that, along with the lost sponsorship (Rainbows Hospice, for a tribute fund set up in my nephew's memory . . . he was killed cycling to school in September 2006).

Anyway, I've realised I need to take things more seriously to get close to some of your times! Once again . . you are all an inspiration.

• McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭

Well done to all today, I was in amongst all the sub 1.30 hopefuls and could really sense  the urgency in the last mile or two to make the first 11 miles worth that extra bit of effort. Thankfully I did ,though had a bizarre stage at 12 miles for half a mile suddenly not being able to relax or breathe properly so thought I'd blown it.

Having started with a sense I would perhaps just eclipse my previous pb I was delighted to do that and do under 1.30 in to the bargain.

Well done to all the support, not least those who found themselves standing in a gale at a couple of points!

• Not sure until the chip times come through (little drama with a stopped watch) but definitely a pb by two or three minutes - the wind around miles 9-11 was a bit grim, and along the dual carriageway but the last mile I managed to pick it up.  Though thin on the ground, the support was lovely.  Will have to come back again as it's my second pb on this course!

Sorry to people who had things stolen.  That's really lousy.

• Enjoyed the race, set a new personal best of 1hr29mins.  While the course was mainly flat, there were plenty of dips and seemed to go under countless underpasses.  Running through the park was a nice touch, and that stretch of main road at 10miles was a killer, thankfully I managed to block out alot of the wind by running behind a tall guy! 

Shame about the traffic, I got to MK at 9.30 but spent 45mins stuck in traffic trying to get to the OU.  At 10:15 I left my car in a residential area, and ran towards the start line, I made it with 5mins to go, but had already run 1.5miles!

Could have done with a goodie bag at the end image

• That was hard - was OK till mile 6 then the wind really made it a struggle.  Overall I enjoyed it (apart from getting out of the car park!) but do not remember it being so 'undulating', however that was 4 years ago and I was 8 mins quicker then too...

Well done all.

Why was the baggage not 'guarded' - the system of matching race number and a tag on a bag works really well.

• HM PW for me today but I'm not too disappointed as I'd decided I wouldn't run due to a virus. Having crawled out of bed at 9am I saw the blue sky and sunshine and decided to give it a go anyway. I thought the conditions were pretty much identical to last years race with the strong headwind in the home straight.

I didn't feel to good jogging to the start line and by the time I got to Willen Lake my legs were mush. The course went past my house at about mile 8, if my front door key hadn't been in the car at the OU I would probably have called it a day and gone in and put the kettle on.  In the end I was 12 minutes slower than last year and finished in 1:52 ish.

Well done to everyone, I thought it was a great race again this year.  

• at least the weather was nice. the rain kept away for just long enough and it was good to get a few words of encouragement from the spectators. other than that, i felt the course was a little bit too narrow in places and it was a bit congested just after the finish line so had to queue up when i just wanted to collapse! nice shiny medal though image
  • Sorry not to see you Biggles. image

Have to make a special mention to the marshall at the bottom of that sneaky incline just before mile 12.  He said we all looked great (I only believed him for about two seconds but that was enough for me to make mile 13 one of the fastest!) Great words of encouragement.

• Only just managed to find this forum, so despite the fact the race is now over this is my first post here. Congrats to everyone who got around, and especially to the people who managed to PB - no idea how you managed that in the wind. (Was it just my imagination or was there a headwind the whole way round - I kept waiting for a tailwind but it never came!) And I can't believe people had stuff stolen - that's crazy, and you have my massive sympathies. I've always left stuff at unmanned tents without a second thought, but not sure I will now. Incidentally, does anyone have any tips for running in the wind? I'm trying to go under 3.30 in London, but only managed 1.37 today - four minutes slower than my previous half. I'm guessing people's advice will be grin and bear it, but if anyone has any secrets I'd be very grateful. If there's a wind like that skidding off the Thames in April I'm done for!
  • Sorry to miss you too Geves. I waited for you in the car park until about 10.15, but then had to leave the phone in the car and jog down to the start. Obviously you were directed to a different car park after we spoke.  I was hoping I'd catch you at some point on the way round but you were obviously to quick for me. Well done on your pb! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

seems everyone smashed a pb..which would normally ahve me wondering if it was undermeasured..but not for this one!

managed to sneak almost 3mins off my pb..down to around 1hr 22 52 now depending on chip time confirmation and felt reasonably comfortable doing so, although 5mins 53 was a little swift for mile 1!

Well done to "Miguesl Sanchez" my running partner, managing to smash his pb and get under that magic 1hr 30 target..as per all the running calcualtors saying was possible, despite his playing down of  such an event before hand!

Unlike Silverstone, this race you can get in the right starting type position per your pace right up to the start, normally at Silverstone I have to start at the 1hr 45 area even though I'll do 20 mins quicker, as waiting non moving in the cold for 30mins doesn't appeal, and it quickly gets chocka block. So full marks for that MK!

Some people will arrogantly start in the wrong pen whatever anyone says. Although I was surprised that the people around me at 1hr 22-3 pace didn't exactly look like fast types, a lot of the ones who started near me ie 7 rows back at the start, definitely weren't! So if you were one of them shame on you for blocking no doubt loads of way faster runners than yourselves.

Odd course...bizarrely not as flat as I had envisaged, not tough by any means, but quite a  few small ups and downs

Straight out of the OU and right into a road with traffic snarled up! That was an odd start and some people slalomed in and out of cars til stewards said not to! Then some fairly windy stretches, not sa much by the lake as you'd imagine, but the windiest bit being a stretch by some main roads with about 2miles to go!

Always so much sweeter to finish a half marathon though compared to my usual fare of 10ks 5k, 5milers and cross countries. And looking forward to a good year of pbs as from the times at the various distances within this race, should deffo break 5m, 10k and 10miler pbs at the next decent flat course go!!

Well done to all.

Come on MK..get the results up today..can't wait for tomorrow! It's chip timing! Just load them in! lol

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

just one other thing i forgot..it is truly despicable stealing off runners. I ttruly hope this was just opportunistic thieves, rather than actual runners doing this..or maybe even honest mistaking of people thinking it's their stuff..but I can't see it!

I can commiserate to all those who had things stolen who came on public transport..not much else you can do but leave it in the baggage...you can't exactly carry bulky stuff with you...but the woman who had the sat nav stolen!! Why would you leave that in a baggage area when you've obviously driven and have a much safer and more subtle car boot?! Why would anyone choose your car amongst 1000s?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ps Hi David,

You're not a gentlemen in his 40s wearing red club kit today were you?

I had this one guy who seemed to stay about 1cm behind me for about 5miles, using me as a wind break..the cheeky dastard! Threw him off in the end, and not sure what time he came home in...a good few mins behind I think after he'd lost his windbreak and had to actually face the conditions like the rest of us!lol

• Feck me that wind was evil!!
  • m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Was wondering when you'd show up image
  • Barlos kept us entertained over lunch ....

and I have to go to work in a bit !!

Did you get yer pb?
  • m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

I bet he did image

pb achieved..... 1:44:14. shot off home quickly after as I was rather done in!

Enjoy work image I'm going for a curry image

• The results are now up on the Marshall Milton Keynes AC website

See http://mcs.open.ac.uk/mkac/09mkhalf.htm

I'll sort by categories later this evening. If you want to compare with last year look at

http://mcs.open.ac.uk/mkac/08mkhalf.htm

Mick

• Enjoyed this - the course was better than I expected but at least I finished before the weather turned truly shocking.

PB at 1-47-09 so very pleased.

Mick-B - thanks for the early look at the results.

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Chip time  confirms a 1:40.54 PB.    Seeminly,  I was also 660th  out of of 3038 finishers (this event just gets bigger and bigger)

For the record,  my splits were:-

Mile 1 - 7.17

Mile 2 - 7.18 

Mile 3 - 7.25

Mile 4 - 7.37 

Mile 5 - 7.28 

Mile 6 - 7.36

Mile 7 - 7.47

Mile 8 - 7.35

Mile 9 - 7.48

Mile 10 - 7.46 

Mile 11 - 8.28  - Crashing

Mile 12 - 8.42   - Burning

Mile 13 - 7.22 

Last 0.1 miles - 0.45

• Chip results confirmed 2 and a half mins off pb, hooray, thank you for posting them Mick.

Biggles, the queuing was horrendous (much worse than 2 years ago image) and we were directed to a car park miles away.  We weren't at the start till about 10.15 - time enough to discover there were no Lucozade pacing bands.... 

Still, really happy with my pb. image

• Well done everyone! I watched a bit at Woughton and there did seem to be an awful lot of people this year. So a great turn out.

Baggage handling is a weakness of this particular HM and I think everyone should make a comment on the RW page for the race. Especially anyone who had something taken.

• Well done to everyone.

This was the first time I'd done this HM.  Being local (I live in Aylesbury) it seemd like a good idea.  Traffic was ok if you arrived earlier (I got to the OU at about 9.15).

I picked up an ITB injury about 2 months ago which had disrupted my training.  Approx 4 weeks ago I had a steroid injection which I hoped would clear it up.  I managed a few training runs after that including one 10 miler so today I was hoping that my previous training before the injury would carry me through.

I found the going tough from about mile 6 as the injury flared up and and any slight incline or decline from then on sent shooting pains down my leg.  However I soldiered on and managed to get a PB of 1 47 57 (almost 4 minutes off my  PB - which was set on a hilly course though). image

I think it'll be back for another injection and I need to spend some time strengthening the glutes.  If anyone has any tips for strengthening exercises could they let me know as it wasn't much fun although the end time was!

Cheers

•  First half marathon, first time to Milton Keyens,and a certain PB I had a great time! Sun was shinning (mostly) a little windy in places, plenty of like minded happy people, how better to spend a sunny Sunday!!

Marshall's were great especially those in the windy positions and I thought a generally well organised race. That was until I heard about the thefts from the baggage area. Really sorry to hear about those that  had stuff stolen!

Many thanks to Deedee24 for the lift and the company!!

• Much more twisty, and not what i would call a fast course, not helped by the wind but PB none the less (first road Half Mara). Sorry to hear about the thefts from the baggage area.
  • Well done everyone

not too bad for me was hoping for a 1.40 - 1.45 but ended up with a 1.51 I think a combination of the wind and starting too fast (as always) didnt help. Enjoyed the day up until the heavens opened and had to run/hobble back to the car.

Will have to try for my 1.40 at the July half

• Sorry to do this on here - but this was one of the worst organised events I am ever run in.  I feel bad saying it as I am a massive supporter of those that volunteer on days like these to help get it organised, and it is a pretty thankless task.  However we do all pay money - and I think therefore expect some organisation.

I arrived just out of the venue at 9.25, and was then directed back and forth until we were eventually parked at 10.15.  Once I had found the (unmanned) baggage area, and navigated the queue for the two loo cubicles (why no signs or marshalls or anyone telling us there were another 25 at the start or in another building) - I had missed the start by 5 minutes.  Apologies to those I had to try to navigate my way past on the way.  Arrived back at the end - to find my bag had been rifled through (why no one watching or a manned baggage area) - (only lost 10 quid luckily) - and the it took me 45 minutes to get our of car park ,and nearly 2 hours to get back to M1. 

I will never do this race again - and will not recommend to anyone to do it. 

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

We arrived about 9.40am.   Straight into car park near to the Campus entrance.   We stripped down at the car,   shoved our valuables (not that we'd brought much) in the car boot,  and mooched on down. 

No problems with loos,  although to be fair we did know that there'd be a block of them at the Start.  

The Start itself would really have benefitted from 'anticipated time' divisions,  although often first-timers don't really understand the significance of these.     I think that we were late off too.

Marshalls around the course were excellent.   Smiling faces,  encouragement, etc.

The finish was well organised.   In next to no time, I was through the funnel clutching a medal and three bottles of Lucozade.

The only real problems that we had were post-finish.    Got somewhat lost trying to get back to the car (finish in different place to start).    Then,  a long time getting out of the car park.   But the car was warm and we had nibbles to keep us going.

The only two improvements that I'd make would be (a) sending out a map of the campus with race-packs and (b)  providing some form of secured baggage storage.

But generally,  a really big 'thumbs up' to Mick and all his volunteers.