Calling all Flora London Marathon 2009 hopefuls...

Comments

• name

Jacqueline evans 41

I started running about twelve years ago. I did the great South Run as my first race and have raced many locals  as well as not so local.. i always feel that i could run better than I do. Never seem to get to my best.

I have done the marathon once for charity place and once own place. I  ran with my husband th e marathon once and he found it tough, we did many races together. He always had stiff ness in his side and cramps and other pains. We found out later why this was . He had to givve up running but hopes to run again one day soon despite his predicament. 

reasons why RW should train. me.

As a mother of three and never having time much to myself to  really get myself in order and need the extra shove to achieve true potential. i don't always beleive age defeats you.I ran whilst pregnant and did some good trail runs and swam right up to the birth of the third child this April .

Nowadays I f eel that I can achieve more than i have done over the  last fewyears. I would love to get to do the marathon under 3.45 , i have managed 4.20 twice. I would love to see my children and others who know me see me race at my real potential.I feel like  subconsiously   i just jog too much throgh inhibition and worry about hurting myself instead of real proper running. I feel like i have become a bit flat.

.i would love to have the expertise of the Runner's World  coaching me. Also guiiding me on nutrition too as a priority along with helping with mind training to guide me on difficult parts of racing.

predicted marathon time. ideally under  hours.if possible 3.50 .

• Name: Lisa Freeman (Age 30)

Brief running history:  I've been running since I was about 15 when I was unwittingly entered into a race and subsequently won!  Decided I must be not bad at this lark and took it up as a life-long hobby.  But I've since also taken up smoking and drinking which are both having adverse effects on my running!  I've completed the GNR twice, the MK Half Mar twice, numerous 10k's, and my personal favourite, a gruelling half mar during a terrible sandstorm whilst I was out in Basrah.  I've done numerous events for charity including a 46 mile jog(!), and traithlon-style events whilst I was in the RAF. 

Reason why we should train you:  I seem to have a natural ability to run, but I never seem to reach my potential, always just ok times in my races.  As much as I love to run, I'm a very on-off runner, and with no-one to train with, my determination to stick to a training program always seems to lapse.  I'm currently on a training break due to a bad cough I developed after my last race and this has made me decide to give up smoking.  I've cut down drastically from my 20-a-day habit and would love to reward myself for giving up by winning a competition like this to compete in the ultimate race.  I feel this would give me the willpower and determination to finally kick the habit for good.  Completely selfish reasons, I know...

Predicted marathon time:  4:15 as a smoker, 4:00 as a non-smoker!

• Hi Catherine,

hope you enjoy reading through all these posts! And here is mine - another hopeful...

Name: Ursula

Brief running history: Been running for the past 9 years - quite leisurely initially, then did my first marathon (Edinburgh) in 2005 and have been running more regularly since then, with my marathon PB around 3:30-ish. This year has been going really well, and the absolute highlight was the Berlin Marathon, where I managed to finish in 3:13. So here I am with a championship entry for the London Marathon and frankly, a bit stunned.

Reason why we should train you: So far, I am self trained. Well, not quite, I have been following the Runners' World schedules, so they seem to be working. But with the prospect of the women's championship start and the opportunity to run in such a select field, I really want to give it my best - and having your elite package would certainly help with that:

Predicted marathon time: Definitely under 3:15 again - and as close to 3 hours as I can get.

• Name: Ludovic

Brief running history: I started running about four years ago, initially because martial arts became impracticale schedule-wise with a small family and with a Nike 10k as a goal. The start was hard, I could not run 3K but I kept progressing having joined a running club. I entered the London Marathon last year, bought a training book and followed the RW schedule step by step with a 3:30 target. The training went well, despite a house move -I even enjoyed my 4-a-week sessions. On the day it was very warm and I was over eager for the first 10 miles, which mean I hit the wall at 18 and ended up at 3:59 -gutted.

Reason why we should train you: I did not get a place for this year's marathon, yet I am determined not to stay on this first experience, and having learnt from my mistakes run a great race! I could really do with some advice, coaching and support and in return I'm happy to blog about the training after each session. I hope in turn this will motivate others to join in and get running.

Predicted marathon time: has to be 3:29!

• Name Sean (Age: 41)

Brief Runing History  A mixed bag of running through the ages; from 400 metres to full marathons. Experienced true pain when I tried to complete a second marathon in 3 weeks when I went from Chicago to the NYM. I paid the price in NY and clocked my worst effort at 5 hours. It was emotional to say the least and I learnt a substancial amount and I 'm still learning; trying not to make the same mistakes. My last marathon was in 2006 and that was clocked at 3:35. 

Reasons why we should train you: I was planning to run a marathon in 08 but I rolled a vehicle in black ice. Luckily all I received was whiplash but I had to rethink my training plans. I then changed my job due to a good opportunity and my training plans were dented due to a hectic travelling schedule. I'm now ramping up my training and the potential of a tailored program appealed (you'd have to be silly not to think I wonder what I can do under proper tuition); so I thought its worth a shot as you cannot hide on a program of this nature.

Predicted Marathon Time: 3:20 with the wind behind me.

• I vote Coops... I hope you suffer you barst*dimage
  • Coops for FLM - now that will give RW a much-needed livening upimage

• http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/gallery/4/2008/04/medium_2405713688_10aedac125_o.jpg

another vote for Coops!!! image

• Name: Jason Edwards (age 37). Brief running history: I have been running ever since I was 12 years old, I competed at county level during my school days (Yeovil, Somerset) and for the Combined Services when I joined the RAF (junior). From those early days I dreamed of following in the foot steps of my running heroes Steve Jones and Charlie Speading. I took part in the US Marine Washington Marathon back in 1994 with little very training. Although, my time was a respectable 3 hours 6 mins, I lost the hunger to compete. I have taken part in ultra distances for charity but always stopped short of entering another marathon. Predicted time: 3 hours. Reasons for deserving one of the Lucozade Flora Marathon Team: After a 15 year hiatus, I feel it is now time to grasp the nettle and go the distance. There is no better place for me to do this than in the London Marathon. This would be an opportunity for me to be a role model to my children, get my running hunger back and generate some money for a well deserving cause.
  • Hello!  When this e-mail came in I just couldn't resist applying.  I absolutely love running and, as it is about time I bought a new pair of trainers and some cold weather gear, this would be the perfect opportunity to satisfy both my love of running and shopping, ha!

Brief running history: I moved to spain in 2005 having never run in my life.  The little seaside down I called home was blessed with a fabulous stretch of beach that was perfect for running so I bought some trainers and got cracking.  The spanish thought I was truly insane and watched me with an air of amusement from their cafes as I ran past every morning sweating like crazy under the sun (no danger of that in the UK!).  After a particularly good session where I managed to run for 45 whole minutes (including a hill and a particularly punishing staircase), I announced to my friends and family that I was going to run the London marathon one day.  They laughed and went about their business.  They stopped laughing when I asked them for sponsorship money for the 2008 London Marathon which I ran in 4hr37 minutes (with two toilet breaks; god that was hell on earth watching everybody run by as you stand in a massive line for a wee after being soaked to the skin by a downpour - love it!).  My first marathon was one of the best experiences of my life and I loved every minute of it (except when I got to the 25 mile mark and realised that I was actually expected to run around St James Park to the finish line - unreasonable!). 

Why you should train me:  I'm one of these mad people who runs for fun and actually enjoys it.  It keeps me sane when I've had a rubbish day, is a great way of getting rid of any unwanted aggression (what can I say?  it keeps me off the streets) and it also keeps me healthy!  Also, I know that I am only getting better.  Even though I'm not training for anything in particular at the moment; I still run a few times a week and my times get better and better.  I'm positive, I love a challenge and I know that I won't let the training team down.  I may not always speak much if I have to run first thing in the morning but my grumpiness will disappear after a short while, I promise. 

My predicted time would be around 4:15, I think.  As close as I can get to the 4 hour mark, the better!

• ROFL Nam!

Coops Coops Coopsimage

• Hi there,

After listening to me complain about my ever present thigh fat for our entire relationship my husband finally cracked.  He told me to shut up and get out running!  

So off I went - mainly to prove him wrong!  On Jan the 8th this year I ran my first mile.  It took 17 mins and was finished off with a discreet vomit in the dustbin near my car and a Marlboro light!  On Mother's day my first half marathon - 2.13 I felt like a hero despite there being not one pound of fat less on those thighs! - clearly I must go faster.

Last week I managed the Cardiff half in 2.01 - the entirety of the last 3 miles spent in tears as I watched the RW pacer slipping away from me and my goal of sub 2 disappearing.  I would point out I am still no thinner!!

Why should you train me?  I believe I'm improving at a reasonable rate.  Obviously the coaching would be a massive bonus - It would likely improve both my language and attitude to be coached by someone other than my husband.  I would really like the nutritional help as well.  Having increased my CV fitness so much in 10 months without losing any weight surely means I'm eating all wrong?  But mostly I would like to run with my husband and not hold him back.  To be able to go out together and motivate and push each other.  I would also like to ditch those Marlboro lights - they're very uncomfy in the pocket of running tights!

I have absolutely no idea what time I could achieve but I reckon 4hours should be attainable??

Yours hopefully 

Vickie

• Coops!!image

Another vote for Coops!!

Whoop whoop!!

• Heya... what a fantastic opportunity!!

I started running eight years ago (I'm now 30) and I could not run 2 miles without stopping for a little breather!! I had some weird determination to run around a local reservoir (3miles) without stopping and ... well, it grew from there until 2002 when I decided to enter the London Marathon. My family and friends thought I was mad!. I was successful in my application and having never even attempted a half marathon I squeezed on the train that morning looking at everyone in admiration. I queued for the 'chemical loo's' ...wow... that was an experience in itself... I began my first ever marathon at the back of the pack, but I had the most fantastic time and bounded home with so much energy left in 4hrs 25mins..

October 2002, having loved the marathon experience I went to Dublin and ran a 3.35hrs hmm.... I was really loving this marathon 'stuff' and so New York came, Dublin came again and then Amsterdam, where I ran 3hrs 16mins and not a second more!!. I had already sent my London marathon application form but, delighted with my time I wanted to have a fair shout on the ballot, so I called and asked if I could change my time and from there I ended up having an elite start position. I was so excited!

London again, this time, not at the back, but at the front yipee!... no 'chemical loo' queue and I was a nervous wreck, determined to prove that I should be there I wanted to break that 3hr 15min elite target time. I did, I ran 3hrs 14mins. But, the bug and determination never died and in 2007 I entered another marathon, but was forced to withdraw after developing a stress fracture, which sent me swimming and cycling for four months (boy I was grumpy...bless my family). Eight months later (this October) I ran the Jersey marathon in 3hrs 18mins. Whilst I enjoyed it, I regretted not pushing on earlier in the marathon, what was holding me back?? the dreaded thought that I will never be able to run a marathon as quick as I did before my stress fracture image

Why me for this amazing opportunity? Well, there are so many deserving people out there, but for me, I know there is a fab marathon in me yet, it just requires a more developed and structured training programme and the one thing stripped by injury .. 'confidence and self belief'. I would love the opportunity to benefit from a professional, focused approach to my running and help me achieve that goal of a PB!

I do admire anyone who runs a marathon, it requires a strong mind and real dedication and some people run for longer than I have ever run. We all have a dream image
  • VOTE COOPS

Its no more than he deserves.

• Hi I have been long distance running for about 5 years now, did the London Marathon in 2007 and finished in 4hrs 30.  I have got a ballot place for next year and would love to get under four hours may be ambitious but I feel with a little extra help it would be achievable.  I have just joined a running club to help motivate me more and have already seen an improvement.  I would love to have this opportunity to train with you guys as am currently looking possible I am get redundant so need to focus on something positive in my life and hopefully everything will fall into place.  My parents and children came and cheered me on last year and I would love to make them proud of me and see me achieve a good time and finish in 2009 and maybe they might follow in my footsteps in years to come.
  • I thought nobody read anything other than Clubhouse, I wanted to do it in secret!!

• Name: Flame83

Brief running history: Zip. Im on week one day one. Ran abit at school (many many moons ago).

Reason why we should train you: I am the ultimate blank canvas, no bad habits (yet). To make people believe that the marathon can be done even if your a newbie and that training programmes actually work for those who are cynical.

Predicted marathon time: 4 and a half hours.

• Hi, I am John Steele, I am 53, I live and work in Cumbria.

I have run for fun for a number of years mainly to keep my weight down and to keep fit, I did the London Marathon back in 92 I think.

More recently I have been a little more serious and focused, mainly because my two sons are heavily involved in sport, number one son is an accomplished fell runner and number two is trying his very best to get on the GB rowing team.

I completed this years Edinburgh Marathon in 3' 51'' and have a recent half marathon time of 1' 42''.

My job involves mainly sitting at a desk,my employers are a World Championship winning motorsport team, I am lucky enough to be Director, for this I need to fit and motivated.

Two good reasons then for you to choose me for your Team, One to keep me motivated and fit and second to challenge me to show my son's and workforce that I can also go that extra yard if required.

Thank you for considering me.

• I'd like to nominate Coops and also Farnie please.

For those that don't know them I'd like Farnie to do it because she has been very good in her last few races prepares well, always has a plan and I think it would be interesting to see how she copes with this distance.

I'd like coops because as well as being a good and interesting beginner for a marathon he's one of the few folks I know who can give both a funny and informative thread.

He is clearly the peoples choice.image

p.s. plus the vision of him being accosted by Minky on the way round amuses me. Dirty boysimage

• Name: Nigel Lloyd 

Brief running history: In 2009 it will be th 25th anniversary of me completing my first half marathon, and it will also be the 10th anniversary of running my first marathon. Over the years I have competed in many events such as half marathon and 10km's etc and also have 14 marathons under my belt. Running just gets better as I get older, with the running folk I meet, those I have helped inprove the quality of life through the charity I support and my crowning glory in the 2002 London marathon when I made the headlines aiding an injured runner to the finish. To win a prize like can only reward the years of effort and a being just a number in the pack.

Reason why we should train you: Although I have run 14 of them, I have still to get a marathon right. With the compoients of this prize could 2009 be the year I run that elusive perfect marathon...?

Predicted marathon time - sub 4 hours

• Name:  Cheryl Age 43 ( 44 )   7th November image

Brief running history:

I started running in January 2006 to train for the Sheffield Half Marathon. I trained as much as I could fitting it in around working, looking after the kids, the husband, the dogs etc. The Saturday night before the race I sat biting my nails worrying that I would end up on the sweep bus. The run went well and I finished in 2 hours 20 mins, not the fastest but the feeling was awesome. Since then I have done the GNR 3 times, Nottingham three times, many many 10K's and 2 further Sheffield half, finally getting under 2 hours this year.

Before I started running I had suffered for over 20 years with depression but since taking up running I have never suffered with it since.

Why Should you train me !

I usually train alone and I desperately need some one to point me in the right direction I want to improve my times further. My dream is to run the London Marathon  before I get to old !! I would love to run it under 4 Hours 30mins.

• Name: Hannah

Running history: run to keep myself sane and vaguely relaxed and try to do a couple of half marathons every year. Completed my first marathon last year but found it difficult to find the time to train for another and memories of the pain don't help.

I've just trained up for another half marathon only for it to be cancelled a week before the event and so I'm looking for a new challenge, which this would definitely be. I've never managed lots of warm up events etc so I'd find it a really good approach. I've also just move to the south and so it would be a great way to get to know the area and its runners

I'd really like to beat the time of 3:47 that I set last year, but don't quite know how I'd manage that using my current methods of downloading a training schedule and just going along with it. I'm also finding that just starting a graduate job is making it much harder to keep in shape so this added motivation would definitely help me get on with things.

• Dear Catherine,

As much as I wouldn't mind doing this, it would be far more entertaining for Coops to be selected. Please select forum favourite Coops.

And isn't it amazing how many people have suddenly posted for the first time on this thread?

VOTE COOPS

• Brief running history:

Just turned 28. I started running at university in 2000 mainly to keep active and fit but also because of the social aspect where I competed in Cross-Country races. After leaving university, I have participated in four 10k races (with a PB of 44.16) and just completed my first half marathon in London (Royal Parks) in a time of 1.44.20.

Reason why we should train you:

In the last 2 years, I have taken up running more seriously and find it a great form of escapism from the stresses of the day job. Furthermore watching the London Marathon each year is always an inspiration and which is something I want to be part of.

I would really like to go that extra mile (well 13!) and challenge myself by completing a full marathon. To do this in London would be a dream come true and having the benefit of a structured training package would give me renewed focus and improve my mental strength during races which is probably my weak point.

Predicted marathon time: 3.30.00
  • Natalie Millman

Brief running history:
    I started running five years ago after having my foot in plaster for a couple of months and being told I couldn't do any exercise - being told I couldn't exercise strangely really made me want to do it, even though I've never been particularly sporty. I started off with small targets - running for a whole minute was a great achievement – and built up to running 10k fairly regularly. Three years ago I joined my work running club and last year ran my first, and only, marathon.

Reason why you should train me:
    I want to overcome my London Marathon demons! Last year, I broke my foot at mile 21-22 and although I still completed the race in a time I was proud of (4hrs 27 mins), I didn't really enjoy it. I want to run round knowing I can achieve my target and actually enjoy every minute of it. I am really motivated and will stick to any schedule you give me (I'm a production editor so wouldn't dare defy a schedule).

Predicted marathon time: with a whole foot, am aiming for 3 hours 55 minutes!