Calling all Flora London Marathon 2009 hopefuls...

1666768697072»

Comments

• hi janette

the edinbourgh marathon which is flat  and one of the fastest around

31 st may  its a good well organised marathon 

• It might also be an idea to tell the charity you can't do it, so they can offer the place to someone else.  They cost the charity several hundred pounds each...
  • I agree Rowan. Maybe somebody else could raise the cash? But it won't be me!

Many charities appear to have increased the amount of sponsorship they require as a minimum to £1900 now. That sounds like absolutely the right thing to do to me - so much easier to raise thousands of pounds from your friends when there's a recession......image

• Hi Janette, although Paris is sold out, get kids going  normally have places where you just pay for the entry.It's  a bit over the asking entry fee but at least you'll be guaranteed a place. When i entered with them 2 years ago there was no set sponsorship figure, just what you could raise.All the best.
  • By the way, Paris is a better run than London.
  • image There are being outted now chaps Faf face has one!
  • and you can keep your stick to yourself cake image
  • imageimage To many self defecating jokes and to little time. image
  • Jannette - use the Events tab from the home page and search on marathons - there are loads.  You can then pick one in the area of the country that you live and check out the reports from previous years - some maras are better run than others. If in doubt, RW always have a good showing at Beachy Head - not too hilly, rural setting, you will love it image 
  • Thanks everyone for the replies!!  I appreciate it.  My enthusiasm for training is getting worse at this stage because it's so cold, so, I HAVE to book an event this week.  Hopefully it will keep me motivated once I've booked it.

Just to confirm, I have told the charity that I wouldn't be running for them, I was worried about them keeping the place for me as well, but thanks for the gentle reminder!

I'm looking at the Edinburgh Marathon as a finalist. But since you've mentioned the one in Beachy Head, I'll look into that as well, because it's not too far from where I live.  Has anybody done the Rome marathon?

• Name: Silver Fox
    Brief running history:

I began running about 5 years ago at the ripe old age of 49. Originally this was to lose a bit of weight and to fill my evenings whilst working away from home. At that point I could run for no more than 15 minutes at a time at a decidedly leisurely pace.

Now I am a regular runner i.e. between 2 and 5 times a week and have gradually improved over time. My best Marathon time is 4:28 at the FLM 2008, best HM is 1:48 at Gosport 2009, best 5K 23:06 at Richmond ParkRun 3 weeks ago. I am doing the Henley HM very soon and the Amsterdam HM. 

Previously all I did was focus on running long and slow but now I'm trying to introduce a better pace and to that end am running parkrun 5Ks pretty much every week now and I have seen my time come down from over 26 mins to  23 mins and already feel that 22 is achievable over the next couple of months.

My feeling is that with the 5K/HM combination on a fairly regular basis a sub-4 hour marathon is achievable and I would love to do that at London because, having done it in the past, it is just a fantastic day.

Reason why we should train you:

I believe I can achieve sub 4 with the right advice and training and I know I have the discipline to follow the guidance and instructions provided. I am also of course a regular and dedicated believer in Lucozade sports drinks during races and for recovery (so a good advert). 

Having run before in teams I know how to provide support and encouragement to other team members when the going gets tough in the winter months.

Predicted marathon time: Sub 4:00 (maybe 3:50) with the right advice and programme

• SF, this is the thread for 2009.... If they do the same again this year (2010 marathon), hopefully they'll start a new thread.
  • Name: Laura Bugg

Running background I tend to run 3-4 times a week for about an hour to keep fit for my job as a tennis coach/ Talent & Performance Coordinator for the Lawn Tennis Association. I enjoy running but have only ever entered a couple of 10k races and 2 half marathons over a period of about 10years. I have never run a marathon before.  Current goals

I love training whatever sport it may be, but I now feel rather then running just for fitness that  I would really like to challenge myself to run my first ever marathon. Where better to start then the Flora London Marathon where the atmosphere and crowds seem to make it the one of the best marathon experiences in the world.

Why I deserve this elite package If I had the support from the Runner’s World Professional team, I feel I could complete the marathon in a good time as I hopefully would peak for the event with their top sport science advice and experience. Also I would achieve one of my life time goals which is to run the Flora London marathon. Time- 4hrs
  • Guys, you are nearly a year late applying for this.  It's for a marathon that's already been run.  Unless you have access to a time machine, wait till they announce this years competition (if they are going to...)
  • I dont think they are listening Rowan image