Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Wow- I don't log on for a few days and there are about a million posts!

Saltpot and Spiced Apple well done on your respective 7 mile and 10k times - good work!! I know what you mean about feeling chilly Saltpot. I have found that wearing a base layer vest under a long sleeve thermal top and then a jacket, gloves , tights and hat on top makes all the difference. Feel so much more comfy running outside in my new gear. Always scoffed at people raving about "technical" gear but am deffo a convert now. No, it's not my first time in Paris. Just picked it cos it suited timing wise and my hubby can run it with me as part of his training for the Rotterdam marathon in April. Have persuaded my folks to mind the two terrorists for the weekend so felt a nice romantic night out in the city of lights might be a bit of an incentive to get me sprinting up that final stretch! Also the course is not meant to be hilly I believe.

Darren, how are your trainers going? I use Asics Gel Kayano 14s and find them brilliant. Combined with hilly twin socks, no blisters or discomfort so far - long may it continue! SApple, re your trainers avoid the radiators - have heard that wrecks them. I think newspaper and hot press combo is the only way forward - should work eventually

Foxy Lady, how are you feeling? My hubby and two kids are all dying with colds at the moment so just waiting for the inevitable to occur! Does anyone know if it's dangerous to run post taking paracetamol / sudafed etc? Think I read somewhere that you have to be careful about mixing drugs with running but could be wrong

Cazsoul - saw your quote in RW over the wend and pointed it out to my hubby (he's a subscriber). He thinks I am a complete saddo now!

How is everyone else this morning - Julia, Jen Jen, Suzie everyone else? Still freezing over here in Ireland. Did an 8 miler on Sat which is the longest I have ever run. Took it pretty slow (90 mins) but felt pretty good after it and no pains at all the next day so pretty pleased with that. Did a 4 miler on Mon and for some reason found it much harder than the 8 miler on Sat. Not sure why - wasn't exactly sprinting (did it in 40 mins) and the weather wasn't all that bad but for some reason just couldn't get into it and was dying for it to be over. Does anyone else ever sometimes feel that the short runs are sometimes harder? Going to do another 4 miler on the TM at lunchtime with speed intervals. Have to say I find running on the TM SO boring compared to outdoor running but just handier sometimes when I'm in work as close to the office and means I don't have to brave the miserable outdoors today!

Did everyone watch the inauguration yday? Inspiring stuff and he's a runner too so it's all good!

Have a good running week everyone!

Later

IE

• Options
    FL

Quick take some vitamin C! I take an effervesant Vit C tab 1000mg every morning-orange flavour and really very nice and touch wood no cold for TWO years!!Even though I work in nursing homes,do some voluntary work in the school and work night shifts so swear by them.Maybe yours just a passing sniffle?

Julia ..indeed GULP but sure you'll do fine!!What does the chip look like -do you attach it to your laces?Hope mine comes with instructions!! I love Will young too-he sang at my husbands work do about 4 or 5 years ago not long after he won Pop idol and was brilliant and very funny!

Darren,hows the injury?Hope alls well..My knee seems fine-no reaction from the two runs I've done since resuming my running but easing back very slowly but surely!

irisheyes,many congrats on your 8 miles.Great stuff!
  • Options

Hi all

hope all is well.

Foxy - what a time to catch a cold.  Since my kids started school two years ago,  colds always seem to be in the house.

Irisheyes - firstly well done on your 8 miler, I really struggle with the easy shorter runs probably the reason for being injured now.

JuliaT - I also think the hr rate of 97 - 99% is way to high I would try and get into 175- 185 (80% ish) range and you know whats happened to me.  A serious thought though, you are not injured and if you feel that you are improving you are doing the correct thing. (Must have a look at the replys in your other topic)

Spicedapple - Never clean trainers maybe because i'm a man.

Susiebe - Still a twinge and to busy to get to physio, purchassed some sports orthaheel in the meantime, done 1 mile very slowly 13 mins on treadmill last night (older trainers). this is my new training plan just to get me around the race 3 runs a week and hoping to add an extra mile at weekend so therefore 1 mile lastnight 1 mile thursday and 2 miles Saturday etc. just hope I don't rush things)   Can I ask you how long you stretch for after and if before i.e. cold. p.s arnicare cream seems to be working.

The big dissapointment in being injured is that I feel I ahve got bags of energy that I just can't get rid of.

Right back to work been doing 6 am untill 7pm last fortnight.

Take care all

• Options

Thanks for all the good wishes and advice- maybe working as no more sneezing so perhaps it was school dust.  For the last two years I have taken garlic capsules everyday, I also take zinc in the winter and echinacea in orange juice whenever I feel "at risk" of a lurgy and increase the dose if I suspect symptoms.  Touch wood (bear in mind I work in the medical room of a school!) this academic year I have only had 2 very slight short lived lurgies so perhaps all these things and our healthy organic high veg and fruit diet is actually working.  Apparently once you run over 16 miles/week you are at risk of imparing your immune function which is why I take the supplements.

Susiebe- glad to hear you are getting mobile again, slow and steady etc etc.  

The chip for my HM is part of the race number but usually I have had the ones your tie round your ankel ona velcro band.

Darren- are you able to do anything other than running- bike, swim etc?  Nightmare re your shifts but at least you are home in the daylight, are you used to sleeping during the day?  Glad arnicare is helping, you must be soooooo frustrated about it.  As for stretching, I try and hold stretches for a count of 20-30 depending how much of a rush I am in.  I have about 5-8 stretches I do and some leg strengthening I do which I try and do on my off days as well.  Finally my Xmas trainers are almost as comfy as my old ones, they always take about 25-30 miles to settle in so I try and limit new ones to shorter runs as they make my right foot ache on the bottom.

IE- sounds like your running is going great.  The 4 was probably hard because of the previous long run and sometimes we just have tired days.  Often for me it's when I do a shorter run, somehow I think the body isn't as psyched up as for a longer one. No problems with running and medicines such as paracetamol/ and so on.  The best advice is"if it's above the neck run but below then don't" ie if you have a bad chest cough don't run with it.  Hubby also used to scoff about technical running gear but now he has it (I ignored him and bought it for him) he loves it.

Paris sounds great, I tried to get Mr FL to enter the "Marathon du Medoc" with me but he said he'd only do it by bike- have a look at it!!!  We have an escape from cubs planned in March as my sister has been made redundant so we have roped her in for a 4 night stint, no idea of destination yet- somewhere cheap and not too far booked last minute.

Julia GULP, well done, you'll be great! That heart rate sounds too high, I just can't run fast enough to get mine to do that- legs just can't keep up with HR.

Good news= so many Mums helping with models I was allowed to listen to readers- phewimage

My Dad was going to the jewellers today to get a price on ring replacement so we can see if it's an insurance job or not.

Right tea time-prepare for riot, I have made a turkey breast casserole which includes chickpeas which cubs will moan about loudly.  However they lurve cabbage!image

• Options

Morning all, have just typed a super long post only to have my internet crash on me... Grrrr!!!

Sportsband is now recalibrated and I think I preferred it before... Went out for a run locally on Tuesday with my friend and really struggled (2.7miles), admittedly is was quite a hilly route and I hate hate hate hills... But you know what i hate even more than hills??? Icey hills...  Had to dodge quite a few ice patches and at one point had a very scarey slippy slidey moment... Good job I didnt have my HRM on as I think it would've exploded at that point lol.

Yes combat is a martial arts based aerobics class so lots of punching & kicking, it would be nicer to have something to kick & punch (oh I miss kickboxing) but a good scream at the appropriate moment gets rid of some pent up frustration.  It was a new routine on Monday which I think contributed to my slack ass run on Tuesday, lots of lunge type movements and leg work...  Have got an abs class tonight followed by a Jive social, so lots of dancing for me...  And a very sleepy/tired head tomorrow, seeing as how we dont normally get in until about 11 when we go to a social and I'm up at 6 tomorrow *yawn*

IrishEyes - Well done on your 8miles and 90mins is now slow hun, in fact is a very respectable speed.  You may have found the 4 mile a struggle because you'd done the 8miler just a few days before and it might've needed to be done at a slower pace maybe possibly...

Julia - That HRM target sounds way too high to me, I dont think I could run more than 30secs at that pace before my legs/lungs went NO, STOP!!!!  Might be an idea to bring it down to 80-85% maybe, especially if you've got to maintain it for any distance.

Foxy - So glad you sneezing fit amounted to nothing *phew* and way to go girl on side stepping the model making lol.  Hope you get some good news today about your ring.

The champion chip we're getting for the River Ness 10k says that it fastens onto your shoe lace, not exactly sure how that works but I guess we'll figure it out nearer the time.  Dont know about the others as there isnt any information, or rather I cant find the information on the websites.

Happy running all. x

• Options

Hi All, I ventured out first thing yesterday morning for a 4 mile run, i even ran quicker up the hills, so felt really pleased. I really enjoyed yesterday's run, its funny how some runs feel really good & others you feel awful!

I'll be on my ski machine in a little while, then a 3 mile (maybe 4) run tomorrow. Hoping to meet up with JuliaT on Sunday for a long runimage

Happy running!

Jen-jen x

• Options
    Je-jen and everyone

I also did 4 miles yesterday and felt fine.Went slowly, took 52 mins but so pleased to be back running after my knee troubles!
    Will be running again tomorrow(3 miles) then planning 5 miles on Sunday.
    Met a friend for coffee this morning and found out that her hubby is doing the Reading Half-I have a feeling he'll be a lot quicker than me so told her that she doesn't have to wait to see me finish!!

• Options

Yes, my time was slow yesterday aswell about 52 minutes aswell. But i really enjoyed it, I wonder if tomorrows run will be as pleasingimage

Glad your knees are holding up, good luck with your 3 miles tomorrow!

Jen-jenx

• Options

Yup, chip goes round ankle. OH MY GOODNESS HELP a man came in to work today to drop off a collecting tin and t-shirt for Little Havens Childrens Hospice, my nominated charity and ended up taking photos for the local paper for a press release. HELP What have i done image

Quick in and out tonight, I'll catch up properly tomorrow image < wave wave to you all >

• Options

Hi All

I'm really feeling envious of you girls now.

Well done susiebe in getting back out really hope your knee holds up.

Jen-Jen - Glad you enjoyed your run - Hills hey one day I might even meet you.  Times are not important.

Foxy - I really struggle to swim and I think rather spending more money on a bike may need to spend it on physios etc. 

Julia - Haven't been on to your thread yet about Heart rates, how's the intervals going.

Myself - long shifts have finished for a while day off tomorrow.  Booked into see GP who is usually very good.  My pain now seems to be right under my heal and I suspect the dreaded PF at least now it seems in a more continious area and same pain really hot as well.  On the positive side of all this had a heart to heart with my wife (I'm feeling guilty with all the money I seem to be spending on my hobby at moment) She doesn't mind if I have to have Biomechanics done and orthotics made, She can actually see how much happier I am in myself when jogging. I have read somewhere that injuries can be linked to back pain well when I was younger had a really nasty back injury playing rugby (very high level) told by Dr then that I may never play sport again,  which I haven't so could be linked?

I seem to be rambling on now.

Take care all

• Options

Hi all!

Jen, glad you enjoyed your hill run!

Foxy, good to hear you managed to avoid both the cold and the model-making! Hope there wasn't too much of a riot - I love chickpeas.

Julia, yay for getting the race number and chip, and on doing so well with your fundraising! Let us know when your photos have appeared in the local paper. image I was expecting to fall down a lot on the ice-rink, too, but somehow I only fell once in the very end. Must have been my skateboarding "technique" (i.e. not having to balance on one leg) that kept me on my legs.

Susie, glad to hear your knee is getting better! Hope it stays that way.

Caz, I had a chip that got tied to the shoelaces once. It was a rectangular plate with four holes in it, and one had to tread the laces through and then tie them normally. They had a shoe on display with a chip tied onto it, but still I felt like I was in an engineeering assignment or something. Managed in the end though. image

Darren, hope your GP will be able to help you wuickly. Good your long shifts are finished for the time being. I'm so tired after only one week of leaving home at 7.15am and getting back at 10pm, but I suppose I will have to get used to it again. As for stretching, I do dynamic stretches for the legs before a run (about 5 mins), and then lots of static ones afterwards (about 15 mins if I have the same).

I tried running on a treadmill for the first time yesterday. Thought it would be nice to try the hill programme, seeing that there are no natural hills where I live, but didn't quite figure out how to do it properly. Firstly, it only gave me 1-2 minutes of inclines each time, and then went back to zero incline. And secondly, I had no clue which level to set it to as the inclinesvaried from one time to the next. I had it at level 2 first, but felt literally nothing, so then set it to 4, where I could feel the greatest inclines (3.9, I think). But it didn't feel like proper hills, especially since most hills would take longer then 1 minute to tackle...Any advice on this from you hill conquerors?

• Options

SpicedApple - The treadmills at our gym have a selection of programs and one of them is hill which starts off relatively flat and gradually builds up over the time that you've set to run so you are constantly running uphill.    So the profile screen looks something like this...  (sorry am not very good at drawing)

____
                       ____¦         ¦
             ____¦                   ¦___
     ___¦                                     ¦___

Might be worth messing about with the profiles to see if you can find one that looks something like what you want to do.

Mr CS has now decided that he's gonna wait until February 1st to start his training so if I'm feeling brave I might venture out on my own for a figure 8 loop round by us tonight when I get home from work failing that I'll do a lap of the island on Wii Fit (hee hee), but I will deffo get out for a long run over the weekend sometime, preferably Saturday as we are having friends over for Burns Supper Saturday night so there is a good chance I'll be fit for nothing on Sunday. image

Happy running everyone. x

• Options

Thanks, CS! Why is Mr CS set on only starting on Feb 1 - anything special happening that day? Nope, it was a different profile screen when I set the treadmill to the hills programme - separate free-standing columns of different heights, each dropping back to zero (and I have no clue how to even start drawing!).

Bad news is that I might not need to figure out how to do hills or whatever for the time being anymore. Something else coming up two weeks before the Edinburgh HM, which would mean taking two weekends off- which is probably a very bad idea. I might have to just forget about the HM.image

• Options

Spicedapple- do not fear, 3 weeks b4 I did RHM I could hardly walk with a calf injury, 2 weeks before RHM I took a week off running to go skiing/ picked up , several sleepless nights and lost nearly half a stone, 1 week before RHM still had rotavirus and could hardly walk let alone run. 2 days b4 RHM finally clear of rotavirus; Day of RHM, armed with bag of jelly babies and bottle of flat fat coke I did it.

Any help?

• Options

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dont give up hope Spicedapple, the Edinburgh one is meant to be a nice beginner friendly one (so I've been told).  So what if you have to walk parts of it, I'm sure if you keep up the training between now and the 2 week before you'll be able to manage it no bother.  The profile you've described sounds like the interval one on our treadmills, I've messed about flicking backwards and forwards between screens loads on the treadmills at the gym to find one that I fancy doing.  Just keep messing about and you'll find one more suited to your needs, either that or follow the plan on here for hill training on the treadmill (there's a section on the homepage).

Erm, Mr CS said something about the pishy weather and that he really doesnt want to start his training when its icey/cold/raining and yes he accepts that its probably gonna be pishy weather at Inverness in October when he does his very 1st race but he might be better prepared kit-wise by then.  I dont actually understand the significance of 1st February other than its a definate point to start at if you get what I mean, 1st February rather than 22nd March or something...   Have bought him a garmin 50 + footpod for his birthday, limited funds before someone mentions the GPS versions and you seem to be able to buy a sensor thing for the bike too which will come in handy considering he prefers biking to running if truth be told. image

• Options

CS, that's why I was wondering - why Feb 1st as opposed to Feb 5th. But then, that's men for you. image

Unfortunately, it's not the training I'm worried about, but taking two weekends off work. I'll be down in London for 3 months at that time. Going to Germany for my niece's christening AND home to Edinburgh two weeks later for a long-ish weekend each seems just a bit much, seeing that I'm meant to get as much work done in those 3 months as humanly possible (most of which would have to happen on the weekends).So, I might have to forget about the HM. image

• Options

How about doing one "down south".  Just had a look at events at there are quite a few within easy reach of London.  When are you down here?  There's one in Marlow on 22nd March I might be doing- could give you a lift to/from a station.  Don't give up............Oh I just saw the bit about you working weekends, surely you could get a Sunday morning off?>..

Mr FL has just agreed to run a 10K- something very odd going on here (another man who prefers his bike).  He ran about 5 miles today and I said it was almost 10K so he said he could do that...... Now I've just found him looking at Training Plans. At  this rate I may no longer be able to subtitle him "The Reluctant Runner".  Only problem is I now need to find someone to nurture the cubs while we run it. UMMHimage

OMG- school run time again, if I don't dash I'll miss my car park slot.

• Options

Darren,you seriously could not out ramble us girls, sometimes i'm scared to come on here because i know i'm going to ramble on and on and then things don't get done and i get sore fingers from typing, or it crashes  at the end of a particularly long post -doesn;t it Caz - and blah blah blah ...........!

And you are right about feeling much happier as a runner, if I don't go out now it really bothers me! Self esteem and all that. Good luck with it all. High level rugby player eh? Did you play for a big team like Harlequins or anyone? Bit ignorant but love watching on telly, much better than that nancy football - ooooaaahhh may have set the cat among the pidgeons there -. I was there shouting  'go johnny go' when we won the world cup!image

Hi Irish eyes, I can't run in cotton t's now and am a big technical fan too.Well done on your long run, I often find shorter runs much harder, i think you mentally prepare for longer ones but short one you say 'oh it's only 3 miles won't take long' but then it's worse because somehow you expect it to be easier OH i'm talking rubbish and it's not coming out right! After a few miles i find running easier coz i sort of get into a groove and then my legs won't stop moving.

Apple, you have to start easing up on the running leading up to the race believe it's called 'tapering?' .......any help? What about Brentwood Essex on the 15th March if they let you have a morning offimage

Hmm Mr T mentioned something about starting to run when the weather warms up too! He hasn't given a definite date tho................image

Glad you seen to have avoided the cold Foxy, -said with everything crossed in case i jinx you - . Had a long chat with a man who knows all about training plans and he has said I should not be doing intervals of that length and intensity HURRAH not that I could do them. He has tweaked the schedule to give intervals in time rather than distance and says 8 x 1 min of fast running with 90 sec recovery between each, next week. Then same but 80 sec recovery, then week after 60 recovery. Then 1.5 mins fast....you get the picture. Also made 2 of the long runs longer, the ones with 4 weeks to go and 3 weeks to go are now upped to 12 miles with a hard effort for last 4 or 5 miles. This is to give confidence when standing on the start line on race day. Very happy with all his help and it was so kind of him, one hour he spent!.

Blimey, better get something done, been on here ages!

• Options

Hi all

Had a busy couple of running days.  Yesterday was the big intervals session- the 10 sets of 800m (half miles).  Total for run should have been 9.5 miles but I threw in an extra mile warm down for various reasons (like needing to get home).  I was planning to run them in the water meadows/ country park near the river but recent deluges meant that was going to be very hard going so I was going to stick to the paths there which would have been a bit dull.  When I got there, even they were soaking so I decided to go on an adventure and just keep running upstream up the towpath which is mostly tarmac or well gritted in this area.  Anyway half way through, I'm the other side of Reading (where I have only been by boat before!) and feeling great so decided to keep going for the 6th set.  Oops so that was another half mile out so by the time I had come back it was an extra mile.  Anyway I had forgotten how nice it is to run a new route, as a large amount of the run was new to me from a running perspective. Lots of swans and geese to avoid; the weather wasn't great but I did it so you can too Julia. Altho' sounds like you have got a good new perspective on your intervals and I certainly couldn't do them on the HR plan, speed is much easier.

Pretty knackered by it, lots of stretches and was out for 1hour 50- this training is seriously time consuming!

Today I was due an easy 3 miler, Mr FL abandonned me half way through was I wasn't going far enough (!)and I did 3 miles very slowly and again lots more stretching.

Tomorrow is The Big 14 miler with a couple of friends leavin at 8am so I can fit everything else in I need to and then a couple of rest days.

3 days like this are the price you pay for B***ering around with your training plan as in theory the intevals should have been next Tuesday and the long run on Sunday but w have a life as well as running (occasionally!!) so my knees are going to have to like it or lumpt it.

Anyway the exciting thing is, hopefully I should get my monthly mileage into triple figures for the first time ever.  Next week Mr FL is doing my 6 miler with me- his furthest ever, he might have earnt a new pair of trainers by his b'day.

Darren- know what you mean about swimming, I'm crap at it, and unlike running, I don;t have a pool just outside my front door.

Julia- will you give us a link to your paper when they put the pics in?!

Cold update- if I m honest I think I have it very mildly and am fighting it off, but it's always a sniffy time of year, but now it's warmed up I've done the last couple of runs without pufffers.  Oh and my piano teacher was happy with me and gave me two more pieces to learn!

I'm pretty snobby about running kit now, if you get a t-shirt at the end of a race I sulk, get a big one and sleep in it, or get a small one and give it to a cub.  Got to be techy fabric to run in.

imageDon't tell anyone but when the cubs are in bed we are heading for a trip to the chippy, no wonder I haven't lost the Xmas lbs and my knees ache and a weeks skiing and chees fondu and hot chocolate won't help eitherimage

• Options

Foxy I am in total awe that you did those intervals!   <stands back and gazes in admiration>

WELL DONE I was too wimpy to try to run that hard but will still get a hard workout on mine, Gerry said only an elite would consider HR's that high for that long and he's been running for 40 years so guess he's one experienced dude!

How lovely to try a different route, and to hear you talking as though you're really enjoying your running.I did a steady 4 today in 43.15 so REALLY chuffed to have sustained sub 11 min miles for that distance. woohoo.  And during the last mile a particularly good song came on so i upped the pace and had a whopping whoosh of happiness and uplifting hormones buzzing through me for quite a distance. Think the intervals have helped me to do that. Awesome feeling! image

Good luck with the 14 miler, I have that on the 1st March. or around then. hopefully Jen-Jen will want to accompany me! We are meeting up sunday for an easy 9.

I am on red alert every time i see a free newspaper now and will do my best to link to it when i see it!

The t-shirt from Little Havens which I think they would like me to run in is Fruit of the Loom cotton so I said to Mr T 'i cannot run in that, i'll have to put it on before the race then take it off then you'll have to hand it to me at the finish line, just in case they send a photographer. I'm really really not snobby but know it'll be no good for the race. Hey-ho.

image Did you say CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS FOXY???????? YUM YUM .oooops sorry if cubs heard that but many miles seperate us so i think i got away with it..image

• Options

Hi All

Foxy - well done on your intervals excellent effort and good luck with the 14 miler.  I can see you entering a marathon soon. I also had fish & chips tonight.

Spiced - hope you can find a race somewhere soon.

Well woke up this morning after threatening my injury with a visit to Dr. and guess what first time I haven't limped for a fortnight still a niggle there but again it had moved from under foot back to my ankle.  Well still took the bloomin thing to Dr. who told me it was just a pulled tendon and everything should be o.k soon just take Ibuprofen.  She took my foot pulse and did quite a few pushing and probbing she couldn't believe that I have been running up some of the hills around here. So hopefully I will make it to the half I have entered in reasonable condition.

Then went to nearest Shopping centre (faceless little places hate them) and wow wasn't it quiet.  living in the sticks you don't see things changing so quickly but I guess the recession is getting hard.  My word some things are really cheap as well now.  I only came back with ibuprofen gel though (highly recommended) but carried a lot of bags for Mrs C.

Take care all enjoy the weekend.

• Options
    Darren,

That sounds great news.Did the doc give you any indication when you can resume or she leave that up to you to pick the right time?
    Rest,brufen and arnica are a great combination and seem to work well for most injuries!I know what you mean about shopping centres,I don't like them either(and I'm female!) but do have a Next,JJB and Boots vouchers to spend which i'll enjoy doing at some point!

Julia and Foxy lady-you both are doing so well.Sounds like you'll both get great times in your HM's.Do you have times to aim for?

I'm just really enjoying my running again.Being injured has made me really appreciate my ability to run now and did 4.6 miles today.Calves a bit tight and had to stop for a stretch after a mile but then ok. Will do 5 miles on Sunday.

Have a good weekend all.
  • Options

14.33 miles done and dusted. Shower time. Food time etc etc. 6 runs to HM. 28+ miles in last 3 days.

Legs tired.  Susie I have several times I am aiming for- dream time, possible time  and realisitic time (2.10).

Darren- great news re foot. and Chips were great weren't they!image  Great carbo-load and then had some choklit for pudding.  Just as well I ran 1533 cals today.image

Great weather altho' cold, we were lucky.

BTW- Don't like shopping much either, unless it's for running stuff.

Tired nowimagebut happyimage

• Options

Well done foxy again. (I'm not running of the calories)

Susiebe - The doc has really left it upto me, I would like to start training again by next weekend but not going to rush into things.

JuliaT - Rugby I played county,  then had trials with a decent rugby team in the midlands but I don't think I was quite good enough,  I played hooker in the scrum and at county level, two brothers played behind me  one went on and finished 3rd in the final of  British strongest man competition, always nice when in a tangle you knew they were behind helping out.

• Options

ooooooooo are you all mad? I LOVE shopping, especially when Mr T meets me towards the end to carry the bags! Us ladies love that Darren image

Good news on your injury, we'll all be keeping our fingers crossed. I got some Arnica from the health food shop, they were tiny tiny tablets which you put on your tongue and were not supposed to touch with your fingers (don't know why). At the time I had painful knee joints and they seemed to clear up really quickly but could have just been a coincedence.

Susiebe good to hear you are still running ok. I have only done the distance once (although training plan has 2 12's and a 14 before 'the big day' ) and it took 2.45 . So anything quicker would be wonderful. If I could do a sub 2.30 I would be over the moon...........just have to see what happens I guess. I'd be worried about having vouchers in the current economic climate, that record shop that used to be Virgin - Sabbie is it called - they have stopped honouring vouchers and what with Woolworths etc. image Not that I'm trying to be gloom and doom.

Well done for completing the 14 miler Foxy, guess you now start to wind it down a little in preparation for the race. Am I right in thinking it's 2 weeks tomorrow? Funny enough we had fish and chips last night too but i did 'healthy' chips in the oven. Mind you i did batter and fry the fish mmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy. And ice cream with choccy sauce for pud image luckily I still seem to be losing weight. Guess because the training intensity is going up and up!

Out tonight, Mr T and I have a date image Dinner then to the pictures to see Defiance with Daniel Craigimage

• Options

HI Julia- yeah HM is 2 weeks tomorrow- will I be officially evicted from the thread once I have done it? Or if I enter another will that count?!

6 runs left to go.  Last run will be the Wednesday before and then a sports massage on the Thursday and a big rest.  Today I was tired at about 11 miles, but have had a busy couple of days image.

I like making chips in the oven like that and it's what I usually do, but just occasionally, for a treat, I get lazy.

Cub1's godfather is friends with the guy in charge of Sabbie- not a happy bunny methinks.  We took about 2.35 today and averaged 11.0 mi/miles but did have gates to open, ice to slide along, puddles and flooding to dodge so it would have been a lot easier, altho'less scenic on the road.  I can't decided whether to drive the HM route in advance or go for the susprise approach, sometimes ignorance is bliss!

Re the arnica tabs- it's a homepathic thing which means you reduce the potentcy if you touch them but as I struggle with the principals behind homeopathy (while not disputing its usefulness sometimes) I just don't get it, especially as it's OK to touch arnica cream!

Darren- my cubs play rugby for a local club and cub1 has just started contact- scares me witless esp. as someone (on his team) picked him up and them threw him to the ground last week and he still has a sore cocyx, just hope it'sonly bruised.  No rugby tomorrow as we are out so hopefully that will help. He likes playing hooker but is the wrong shape for it (tall and skinny) apparently so we need to get him somewhere safer.

Anyway, they need feeding AGAIN (still stuffed from huge lunch so no more food until lunch tomorrow (don't tell your daughter Julia, she'll yell at me).

Darren, take it really easy when you start again, Susiebe- glad you are getting out there again and knee is OK, lots of time yet, and Julia- make sure you get company on that run, hard to keep going without it- that's how I know I don't think I could do a marathon; enjoy your run with JenJen.

Everyone else- HI, and what happened to MTP- will I see him at Wokingham? or did our chitchat scare him off!

• Options

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you can't leave us Foxy, although when we've all done our HM's we could have a 'we did it' thread I guess!

I am very tempted to drive the race route myself, in fact someone did say it was quite a good idea to run just the last couple of miles so you are prepared, all the more so for me and Jen-jen as I gather the last 2 miles of Brentwood are uphill image

Did the 9 miler with Jen-jen this morning, I had Gumpy Garmin on but I didn't tell her our distance until 8.5 miles had been done. Because we nattered all the way it went really quick so fantastic. I feel a bit achy now, although shoulder hurts the most where I laid funny in the night! Rest day tomorrow, just a gentle walk to work and back but may give the machine workout a miss. See how I feel. Our long runs now go 10, 10, 12, 12, 14, 8 then..............the race.

Step daughter coming over for lunch in a while so off to roast a chicken and then a nice snooze! And I shall carry on knitting my jumper too.

Have a good day everyone image

• Options

Thanks Julia!image

Well done on your run, company makes so much difference on a long run which was I was so grateful to my companions yesterday.  It's also why I don't think I could train for the FullM unless I had someone who wanted to do it with me.

Legs feel fine today, not sure what would have happened if I had tried to run......

Was over your way today Julia for another Roast dinner, very wet, did you and Jen wear trainers or flippers? 

Have decided NOT to drive the route, ignorance is bliss and all that.  Just will make sure I have more than one pack of jelly tots with me on the day!

I'm sewing 2nite- nothing exciting, swim badges onto towels, namestapes and unpicking cub1's Beavers badges from his sweatshite so Cub2 can be invested on Friday night.  What are you knitting?

BTW- did I mention I bought some M&S running socks? Fitted ones with L&R feet. 2 pairs for £5 (foot size 4-8) and I can highly recommend them, almost as good as my Nike £9/pair altho' time will tell how they wear.

Time to prep for another week ahead. image

• Options
    Hello all

Ran 6 miles today and feel great as longest run by almost two miles since knee problems.Felt like I could've ran further too but still time to build up gradually!Plus I'm slightly paranoid of picking up an injury.

While running today I was thinking about my shoes. I've run in them since August and think that by the time of the HM they will be worn out so think I will have to get some new ones soon so that I can wear them in and get used to them before the HM.I run in Muzuno Wave Inspire 4 at the mo but feel like they've started to loose some of their cushioning-I also wonder after coming back from an injury whether your gait can slightly change so for those reasons I'll be off to my running shop this week to get checked out.

FL I'll look out for the M+S socks as great price and M+S normally good quality.Today though pinched a pair of my husbands Wilson sports socks as I'd forgotten that my Nike ones were in the wash!
  • Options

Fab news Susie.  Very sensible to keep it slow.  Socks are white with a minimal blue trim.

New trainers- good idea but wear in well b4 HM.  I only had mine a couple of weeks, in panic tied them too tight and was in agony for much of Reading HM but unsure whether it was the running or the lacing; hindsight says the lacing was to blame. Oh yeah could hardly walk for about 3 days afterwards. Better to double bow rather than tie too tight, especially if it's wet.

Also good idea to get gait rechecked, last time I did the girl actually laughed image, said I had the weirdest gait she had ever seem but if I was happy with my trainers to carry on with the same style.  However I do seem to get all my niggles on the same side so am thinking (in the interest of my long-term mobility!) of getting proper gait analysis and seeing if anything gets picked up. As a child I had odd length legs by about 1/4 of an inch and wonder if this is still a problem?

Gait analysis would make for an interesting birthday presentimage