GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Foxy Lady wrote (see)
    Are you extremely happy or have you got wind?
  • if she has Edster, you'd better move....
  •  > Have you started the curry early Foxy?

Chicken Tikka or Tandoori chicken with plain boiled rice ? Definitely no onion bhajis!

Recipe looks lovely, me and Mr T would eat that ourselves, saves cooking 2 seperate dinners image

My Garmin is a 305, must admit it's pretty bulky but apart from that it works a treat. I'd like to beat the 30 min 5k barrier, best so far is 33 mins but i've trained a lot more since then so have a hunch i could beat that now.

My remark had to do with 2 steps and baggy shortsimage

Rest day today. Feels weird.

• Make the most of the rest days JT! Make yourself a curry. image
    I'm sure you'll break 30 mins on your next 5km. You'll have a pretty good idea by your times on the Garmin. image

Baggy shorts or lycra? Which do you women prefer?!
  • Did you get your guitar out then and sing songs for the children?
  • NO!  I tidied out cupboards and threw loads of junk out.  I am now very dusty and there are two totem poles in the back of my car which should burn quite nicely on my fire at home after judicious use of an axe.

However being Wednesday, when I finish here I do go and spend an hour reading with the little cherubs in Cub2's class which I hate and detest doing; then I get to spend 45 mins in the car with cub2 while cub1 runs round the field for his x-c club (i am hoping it may be rained off today as it hasn't stopped- surely some H&S nonsense wll kick in and I can go home early and NOT eat the flapjacks I made on Monday.image

• Why are there still flapjacks left if you made them TWO WHOLE DAYS ago?!! image
  • Hmmm, Curry! I fancy one of themimage

Managed my Intervals today, a day later than i wanted to, but just couldn't get out yesterday. Planning to do 4 miles tomorrow, then 5 miles Friday. I think we're (with JuliaT) heading out for a 10 miler on Sunday!

Wow, I never thought I'd be able to say that, & actually look forward to it!image

Jen-jen x

• Hmmm - men in lyrca just reminds me of 'Erasure' - not sure why!!! Baggy shorts but only if you've a decent pair of legs that are worth seeing...
  • Made banana and pecan cake this afternoon, kept cutting the slices wonky so of course i had to keep straightening them up image In the end i put it in the freezer so as not to eat any more.......

Which shorts do I prefer eh? Do you mean to wear or to look at?

Just lit the fire ourselves Foxy, chilly wet day here. What are the tiddlywinks going to dance round if you are burning their totems?

Did you get wet today jen-jen? Running for one minute was manageable don't you think, I could feel my quads starting to ache on sprint no 7 tho......

Fish for tea tonight , better go and cook it image

• Hi Saltpot, we visited together there.
  • Yes, towards the end, I could feel my legs beginning to ache! Yes, i did get wetimage

Felt weird being back from my run at just gone 6.30am this morning though.

Banana & pecan cake sounds lovely julia! Will there be any left after our run Sunday? Perhaps we could snack on it during our run! heheheimage

Right off to get my little girl to read to me, then going to play some board games before she has to go to bed!

Jen-jen x

• OK confession time, just HAD to eat one of the flapjacks, well it was a new recipe and wasn't fair to torment the rest if I hadn't checked them out!  Yum, with glace cherries.  There really is no such thing as a healthy flapkack, and Edster- plenty left- about 10 or 12 I think, depending how many Mr FL has eaten while I've been at work.  He is complainig about them and wants me to go back to making orange cake which he doesn't like so won't be tempted by.

Problem is I'm obsessed by the cubs having a snack after school that is not full of crap and additives and if I bake for them I know what's in it.

However if I make banana fruit cake, I'm fine as I don't really like bananas, so that's next on the list, just waiting for the bananas to overripen.

Well done for running today Jen-jen, so I relieved I didn't have to. Cub 1 was VERY wet after x-c and had to sit on a plastic bag on the way home.

Forgotten the Erasure look!

It was honey and lemon marinaded lamb steaks here tonight, yum and everyone was happy and scoffed it. No complaints tonight.

The totem poles were left over from when they used to study Native Americans which was a very long time ago as it is no longer part of the National Curriculum- instead they do the Rwandan Genocide which I find depressing- that's not history, I remembe it being the news.  They also do course work on the 60s inc. studying the Beatles, Rolling Stones and miniskirts!!

Just checked weather and looks as though it should have stopped raining for our run tomorrow, although knowing the saturation levels in the flood plain round here, we will still probably need snorkels and flippers!

Another meeting tonight, to keep me away from the flapjacksimage

Enjoy your runs tomorrow everyone.  May it be dry

• Oh god! was actually eating a flapjack as I read your message -  image
  • Hope it was homemade.

Hugh Grant is on telly (swoon)

• Of course!! Is there any other kind?
  • Tall halfling is studying rock (amongst other things) for her music Gcse. Why could i have not had that instead of a totally classical music education...................image

Jen-jen the cake is a bit crumbly. Probably be a bit bashed after a few miles. How are you with jelly sweets or do you need to watch the gelatine? Flying saucers maybe...?

Off to dye mine and TH's hair    image

• Curry & Cake hmmmm & good bots!

Few miles on the dreadmill today and ankle still good.  Don't know why but i'm more nervous of injury again than the actual race.

JuliaT - re: Garmin training, I think I khow how to download the intervals, But just trying to build some mileage up at moment I'm not doing intervals or hill training for a while. Our halfling are starting recorders what a racket this evening.

Foxy - I haven't heard an excuse me yet!! 

Jen-Jen - Mrs C is a veggie and one halfling has a severe dairy allergy grocery shopping is an absolute nightmare. 

Take care all

• Yeh! Halflings has taken off!! I take all credit  image
  • It's cute, but quite long to type, they could shortly be shortened to HLsimage
  • FL

I saw your recipe and as I'm trying to convert my lot to healthier eating which on the whole is working, will put that in next weeks menu.Actually we have always eaten ok,occasional treats etc but at least now the children are recognising lentils and chickpeas etc and preferring jacket pots to chips!
    Anyway today bought some tinned lentils(never tried them tinned),cherry toms and some chickpeas and will give it a try.Hubby and children not keen on spicy food so will have to use the cumin and curry powder sparingly!!
    My Muzunos (Wave Inspire 4) have only done about 250 miles,not a lot of miles but definatly on their way out.There is quite a big dip where the ball of my foot sits/lands and a lot of wear on the sole especially the left shoe.I've heard that Muzunos ,although a lovely shoe, do tend to wear quite quickly.
    Take Care all,glad to hear all well with your foot/ankle Darren.
  • Foxy Lady wrote (see)

Hugh Grant is on telly (swoon)

Forget Hugh Grant - Christine Bleakley is fine!!
    Julia T wrote (see)

Tall halfling is studying rock (amongst other things) for her music Gcse. Why could i have not had that instead of a totally classical music education...................image

Has she got Guitar Hero for the Wii? Plenty of rock on there for her to 'study'. image

Flapjack with cherries in is the nuts! Is it wrong that you've made me really hungry at this time of the morning? It's still just over an hour til brekkie time. image

• Oh, and if anyone can explain how to set up intervals on my Garmin 405 then please do! I've never done intervals before and think it's about time I started so I can get more speed. image
  • Might have to rename this the cookery thread!image

Assuming 405 is similar to 305 it's time consuing but quite simple, it's easier to do on the computer and then upload it. I'll try and remember how and write some hints after the school run/ 6 mile run!

Susiebe- hope the halflings like the recipe, I mushed up the chickpeas for HL no2 and he was fine when he couldn't see them!

• Well, if it's going to turn into the cookery thread then give me some fairly simple recipes that I can practice that will impress any potential new Mrs Edster. image

I'd never cooked at all until late last year (microwave meals! image ) but did try a few things out and I didn't die so that was a good start.

• Morning all, hmmm simple recipes eh???  Most of mine involve mince as its quite cheap & I can stretch it to 3 portions + some left for my lunch when my friend stops for tea after combat.

Dont know if this is gonna sound mean/ungrateful or not but it really isnt meant that way so here goes...  My friend is training for a 10k which she is doing with me and after our run last night she was booking in other training sessions, most of which would have to fall at the weekend which is when I do my long run...  Her ultimate goals are considerably shorter than mine so I'm gonna have to alter my training plan to reduce the mileage on the weeks that she's coming out with me.    And I think I actually prefer running my LSR on my own as I get lost in my own little MP3 induced world and can alter my pace according to how I'm feeling.  She does seem to be getting better than me on the shorter local street runs, this could be to do with the fact that I am starting to really dislike them as I cant seem to find a "nice" route if you get what I mean.

Edster, will have to wander over to the other thread to see what all the palarver is about... *wiggles bottom at Ed as I stroll off the thread* imageimage

• CazSoul wrote (see)

Edster, will have to wander over to the other thread to see what all the palarver is about... *wiggles bottom at Ed as I stroll off the thread* imageimage

*faints*

I guess you just have to be honest with your friend and stick to your private LSRs. image

• *picks Ed up off the floor and offers him a nice cup of tea* 

Ed, I'm British hunny and therefore far too polite to risk offending/upsetting my friend...  Maybe Mr CS can throw a strop that I'm spending too much time with other people and then I can use him as an excuse... *hatches evil plan* image

• Thanks for the cuppa. Just what I needed! image

Using other people as an excuse is the typical British way of getting around our politeness. It's tried and tested! Go for it. image

• This thread is very pleasure / pain for me! Out of bounds lycra clad bottoms (look but don't touch) and constant talk about cakes and flapjacks (making me salivate over my laptop keyboard).

On the subject of your friend Caz, why don't you do the mustering thing? I'd never heard of it until I joined the running club 3 weeks ago. That way you can run alot further than your friend but still kind of run together. Assuming that she's slower than you of course. Just a thought. image