GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Mrs Wm texted earlier to say the replacement BT home hub has arrived. I asked if she wanted to plug it in to see if it works. She said she would rather get on with the ironing! image

Jess - glad the Fetchpoint info was useful. With no running at the moment I expect my bugs are breeding and my points total is dropping dramatically.

B&T - sounds like you are addicted to Fetchpoint image BTW - enforced 'rest' days do get a little tiresome. I am currently itching to get my running shoes back on. Naturally, being a bloke, I sometimes use a t-shirt a second time before it goes in the wash! image Well done for keeping going up those hills.

Foxy - glad to hear new kit is all okay. Will look out for piccy on FB .. if I ever get broadband again   image

AH - would imagine healthy appetite lately is part of the body's recovery process?

Sal - sorry to hear you had a bad 'on call' day .. these days ours are mostly quiet and you forget about the phone.

Toby - when I try starting running again (weekend?) I will be doing it on the treadmill .. just in case.

*waves* to everyone else

• Hi all

Quick post and tea before Brownies image

B+T,you're good tackling some hills,and really good luck for SundayimageSure you'll do fine!My new shoes are still looking too new and pink,might have to find myself some mud tooimage

FL,meant to ask you about your diet,did you ban certain foods or just keep everything in moderation?Want to lose half a stone but probably need to lose a stoneimagecertainly a great incentive if it makes running quicker and easierimage

SS,sorry about your bad on call shift.Some shifts certainly better than othersimage

mel,glad your BT thingy arrived.hope all up and working soonimage

AH,sure you need to replace those cals(about 2500 used doing a marathon?)image

Off to Brownies.My youngest did her promise last week so says she feels like a proper Brownie nowimage

• Susiebe- no banned foods just strict calories in and out. And if I had a bad day one day (don't ask about yesterday) I'd make up over the next couple of days. It expects you to eat a minimum amount and tells you off if you don't and then you can choose how many calories earned through exercise to eat up. It graphs everything over a week which is quite good. So at the moment I do no exercise on a Monday and get a bare 1200 which I can struggle with, Wednesdays I do a little exercise so that can be difficult but today I did a long intervals session and some time in the gym and paid back a little of the post baking scoff which occurred last night. it also makes you realise just how bad some "healthy things" are. Sultanas are evil and one of my vices. Fruit init?! But 100g = about 4 small handfuls) = about 300 cals! And I can eat dried fruit for England. 4 squares of Bourneille= 125 cals. Yesterday was a disaster but overall for the week I should be fine even though it's a low mileage week (24)
    Anyway I am well over the 100 (106) for the month and the year so yay to that!
    The evil intervals session went better than expected although not all reps quite as fast as they should be and we had to walk the recoveries but overall really pleased as was dreading it and 800m reps- well nearly a km!

Lovely about little HL being a proper brownie.
    Mel- hope that hub is OK and take care on the tready, always does my calves in.
    I am always cautious of dogs, even the friendly ones can do a lot of damage.

And yet another YAY to the new kit, very pleased with it. Tried top and bottoms on together today, very smart. Might need some pink crackle glaze on top of the black nail varnish to match! (That's one for the girls to appreciate).

Might do my easy four tomorrow as weather looks great but cold and may be a tad bleurgh on Saturday as Burnsing tomorrow night and I am in the zone to have a drink. So far this year have had one glass of wine as it was handed to me without asking. Hardly drank at Xmas- 4 glasses of fizz overall- so the last session was a Xmas meal at the start of December at the same place as tomorrow.....so a couple of glasses and I'll be anyone's!

heh ho.
  • Evening

Have fun tomorrow night Foxy. I also was shocked when I started using myfitnesspal to see calorie values of some things.
    Just a quick 25min run tonight and off to tackle the ironing pile. Planning parkrun and then hopefully a longish run on Sunday
    Susie- I certainly think being a stone lighter has made me quicker with fairly similar training

49.09/70
  • Evening all.   Sorry not posted for a bit, tend to forget about this thread.   Well did the marathon at 4 hrs and 35 secs.   Got to work on my aerobic endurance so long slow miles for me.
  • well  was going to try and stay around my area to do my LSR run today but that went out the window  as i have to take the car up the garage this morning so i may ware my running kit and just set of and see how far i get  i am thinking of doing the run walk again

Rest day yesterday but i made shore i still did the stretching and strengthening exercises

• Well done toby, very important.

Lovely easy 4m recovery run along the the frosty sunny towpath this morning, SO enjoyed it. And in daylight.  One of those "I remember why I do it" mornings.

Happy weekend folks!

• Afternoon all

Well i ended up doing the 18 miles in the end got up at 6.30 and after taking the car to the garage headed off with no fixed route in mined

The run took me 3:08:51 with an average pace of 10:26 m/m i ran the first 13 miles and run/walked the last 5 i have to say i did struggle over the last 2 and really badly over the last mile as the paced dropped right down to over the 13m/m mark

But my excuse is i only had an hour sleep as i did not get to bed until 5.30 after finishing work last night or it may be i am getting to old for this running lark i have to say looking at the weather now i am glad i did the run this morning it may have been i little cold but at least the sun was out and it was dry making it a beautiful morning

• Blimey Toby..... I did see your comment that you work late rather than get up early, but you appear to have done both today... respect!

Thanks Black and Tabby re the comment re getting tired when doing tempo runs... yep, I got that straight away when you said it. I just find speedwork so painful, and the tempo runs seem to benefit me menatlly in that they make me tougher on the Big Day.

I had swim today, rest tomorrow, and then LSR on Sunday. Last Biggie, as next week is only a fortnight til The Big Day.

Will look at Gtr Manchester and Hadd... just hope it matches what Im basically doing. Which, sometimes, is a bit of a disaster..

• My goodness Toby, can't believe you even attempted that run after an hours sleep. Well done image
    Well done Spen
    Tough parkrun this morning- ice, mud and couldn't be bothered so over 2 mins slower than last week! But at least it's done and 1 closer to 50

52.27/70
  • Bailed parkrun....one too many champagne cocktails apparently.image
  • Hi all

SS,well done on doing parkrunimagemuddy for mine too,no ice though

FL,thanks so much for diet advice.Funny you mentioned sultanas.i have a bag of them next to OH's stash of peanuts so i wouldnt be tempted by his peanuts but really didnt realise the calorie contentimage.Like you I just thought they were ok cause of being 'fruit'image.thanks to your post I wil find another food to satisfy my nibbles.I quite like wasabi beans(so hot and spicy that can only eat about 5 but quite yummy)

Peanuts are the worst though ,sometimes i've been tempted and had a few sultanas AND a few of his nutsimage

I weighed out 50g of peanuts(a small handful) and wow theres 300 cals goneimageinteresting that Bourneville isnt too bad and it feels more like a treat than some sultanas.i like the really high cocoa content dark choc so they are probably even less cals as i do find even Bourneville quite sweet.Anyway i've told OH to hide his nuts so i'm not temptedimageimage

Glad you could treat yourself to some champagne after that really tough interval session you did

toby,wow all those miles on an hours sleepimagei cant run after a nightshift even if I've had a few hours sleep in the day as just dont feel refreshed enough so much respect to you.Just think of what you can do after a 6 hour sleepimage

Water Vole,I'm doing the Manchester plan too,its imagereally easy to follow

Parkrun this am 33.1,really muddy in parts but at least my shoes not looking as new now.imageOver 100 runners for the first time

Ran 10 miles yesterday.Drove to a local town for a change and ran basically around the ring road which has a nice cycle pathimageenjoying my new shoesimage

have a good weekend all

• Hi All,

B&T  - good luck tomorrow, enjoy the hills.

FL - nice to have one glass to many now & again.

Susiebe -Try not  to get to temted by O/H nuts, do you know where he's hidden them.  Good 10 miler done.

Had a real non running week - feeling fully recovered and ready to start training again.

• Evening all

Well the legs aren’t too bad now coming down stairs this morning was fun as was more than a little stiff no running for me till Monday but i have done the stretching and strengthening excises again today

i have to say i am getting rather fond of the running tights i bought i used to wear thick track suit bottoms which in the rain used to get quite heavy but the tights are so much lighter and do keep your legs cooler weather if it was colder it would be a different story I’m not shore

• On iPod so apologies as I can't easily read back.

Foxy - sounds like you had a good night if you missed parkrun image but well done to Sal & Susie for braving the ice. Susie - sounds like a good run .

Toby - running so far after 1 hours sleep? I'd be lucky if I could make a cup of tea. Hope you've caught up now.

Spen - well done!

Mel - are you receiving us yet??!

AH well done on the recovery plod. How's the legs feeling?

Watervole - hope your LLSR (last long slow run!) goes well tomorrow.

Waves hello to everyone else.

I'm trying not to watch the weather forecast too closely tonight. If its snowing tomorrow I may well cry. Car already has frost on - eek! Need to decide what to wear tomorrow - nothing I mind getting muddy!

Cross posted there. Keep stretching Toby, and thanks AH - I'll think of you on the hills!
  • B+T,good luck for tomorrowimageAt least if its icy the mud will be frozenimageSure you'll do fineimage
  • hope it went well B&T image
    Glad you're recovered AH
    LOL at Foxy
    Finally managed a LSR this morning - a mere 7.19 m but felt plenty far enough. Daughter came with me for the 1st 3 miles which was nice although felt like stopping when I dropped her home!

59.46/70- should get to just under 65 by Tues which isn't too disappointing
  • Morning all

Well not good news about the car one of the spark plugs was broken up by something in the engine the result was parts of it have got into the engine coursing some really damage

so were talking a lot of money one way one the other could even mean i have to look for a new car so will have to take the bike to work this week if we do go head and have it repaired it’s not going to be ready before next Friday

The wife’s going to have to sort something out as she works right across the other side of Bristol fortunately she car shares and it the other ladies turn to take her this week

We may have to offer to pay the petrol and see if she will take the wife next week just encase we haven’t got the car back

at the moment as Brighton and the GNR are going to cost quite a bit what with train fares and hotels I’ve decided not to enter any more races this year so Bath, Brighton and GNR will be my lot this year

and i am again at the moment if the frame of mind that this will be my last year at Brighton as well i have had terrible trouble this year getting motivated to get out and do the training and the cost of the hotels has risen although there no were near as bad as for the GNR we just booked a hotel in Newcastle for the Saturday and Sunday and the cheapest we could find was just under £300 pounds for the 2 nights

Talk about a p** take (sorry for the language)

• I survived! Took 1:47:24 and it was hard, but I wasn't last! 11 people behind me. The final hill was nearly hands and knees, I even had to stop to catch my breath walking up! The running-through-the-stream was FREEZING! I'm not good with cold water anyway (takes hours getting into a swimming pool or the sea) and I was gasping by the time I got out and my feet had gone completely numb.

I was so nervous about this race I was awake at 6am, not good when I didn't have to be up until 8. I now feel very proud of myself, haven't seen the photos yet, and think my legs and ankles are going to be feeling it tomorrow.
  • Well done B&T. Superb!

Sorry about the car Toby, we seem to be going from one electrical drama to the next, the oven is still not fixed and no news on our replacement spare part, the kitchen electrics have been rewired (£) and a new induction hob last weekend (££).  Now my hair dryer is on the blink.

Hopefully that's the 3 for this year!.

Steady 8m for me today: 8and a half mm but did have a couple of stops. Rest day tomorrow. Not that I moved much yesterday!image

• Bad luck about the car Toby and that's an expensive stay for the GNR
    Well done B&T, you're mad/amazing!!
  • Hi All,

Excellent  B&T.

Toby shame about the car.  no cheap hotels like travelodge, premier inn.

FL- Good run and nice pace.

Sal - Good run and nice company.

Very easy 4 miles today

• Thank you all. Sal - definitely mad. Glass of something medicinal going down well now,-)

Toby - bad news about the car. Hope it's not too expensive. Know what you mean about accommodation at races. I've struggled to find somewhere for London- wanted it to. E as hassle-free as possible, but of course everywhere is getting booked up fast. Finally took the plunge and booked somewhere central, quite dear, but can't imagine I'll ever get the chance to do London again, so thought we'd do it properly image

FL Hangover gone now by the sound of it? image

• Yes thanks. Took a while!  It's so rare I hit the booze that it is generally quite disastrous. Plus I didn't really eat much.....

Reading HM sobriety has kicked in. Phew. Body returns to temple modeimage

• Morning all

Well just 5 to do today i my well do them on the treadmill if the snow they forecast comes to anything just before i left work to night are North Devon driver phone to say that it was snowing down there and as i was cycling home it was just beginning fortunately at the moment it still very light and as it’s so wet it’s not pitching

no we look at all of them the only way the prices drop is if you’re at least 6 miles outside the city and i don’t really fancy driving all the way up there as i would need the car to get to the race

This is defiantly one of those one of race you do for the experience i shan’t ever be doing it again

Should find out more about the car today fingers cross but i am not holding my breath that it’s going to be cheap

• Toby - definitely snowing here! Hasn't stuck to the roads, but is on cars and grass so looked very pretty on my 4M recovery run this morning. Felt rather creaky out there, especially on the return journey and I really fancy some compression socks right now - that feeling of my calfs being 'hugged' would be most welcome!

For the other stattos amongst us, image hopefully you can see my Garmin data in the link below. Of most interest is the 'Elevation' section, especially the hill before mile 8. I swear it looks vertical on the chart, and it felt it in real life! 

Slaughterford 9 Garmin stats

Just found out last night may have to go to a family wedding on the same day as the Bath Half. Really cross -  its not definite that we're going but I suspect we will (one of these complicated family things I don't want to go into on here!) Just checked and its way too late for me to withdraw and get any money back. So quite aside from the fact I was looking forward to all these long runs greatly improving my stamina and so greatly improving my times, that will be £39 down the drain. Pah!!!  Or to use the best ever French expression my daughter taught me "Bof!"

Sorry for the moan. Hope everyone else is having a happier and less creaky morning, and Toby I have my fingers crossed for a cheap outcome for your car ....

• Hi all

B+T really well done yesterdayimageI was reading some of the reviews and it sounded really tough so much respectimageand for getting out on a recovery run this am aswellimage

Sorry to hear about Bath HM,can you sell to someone else?Sure there would be some interest as I suspect its sold out now.I did have a quick look at the date 11th March, so thats a week after Bideford HM so doable image

just checked out your Garmin stats,GULP,thats mountainousimage

are there any HMs you could enter maybe a week or two later?

toby sorry about the car,andimage to hotel prices.i'm in ballot for GNR so will have same problem if I get a place.Grr my aunt used to live in Durham but now lives in sunny Spainimage

Just 3 miles for me this am.Am meeting a friend for tea and cake this pm so ran extra fast.image

• B&T sorry to hear about bath much respect on the race had a lok at the data and that was a peach of a hill

• B&T- were it not HL1's birthday, i would offer to have the place as I've always fancied that one having spent a lot of my childhood there.

Amazing hill! I echo- you can probably do an illegal sell on, I did it with RHM one year, try finding a Bath Half thread on here......

I feel I should share that I have been on hold to the tax office about my tax code for 10 minutes now.....

Easy 5 in the morning, will need to wrap up warm. No snow here though. Thanks goodness, but my snowtrax are ready and waiting!

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Still without broadband at home and found trying to read the RW website on the phone an impossibility image I spoke to BT again yesterday and an engineer is calling at the house on Tuesday afternoon. He should be able to confirm the hub is plugged in correctly and the problem is somewhere on the line between the local exchange and the house. S'funny that - because I could have sworn that was what we established over a week ago. I managed to keep my cool and not get angry and said if BT were as good at fixing problems as they are at saying sorry we wouldn't still be speaking. I won't bore you with the rest of this sorry tale of corporate inefficiency .. suffice to say I'm looking forward to discussing compensation if and when it's been fixed.

My calf was feeling better by the end of last week so I tried a run yesterday with the idea I could head home if there were any problems. I mentioned I might use the treadie - I had forgotten the garage is cluttered with loft insulation and there's no room at the moment. So I headed outside and the calf felt a bit tight for the first half mile or so but was okay after that. I managed to do just under 3 miles (didn't notice any after-effects yesterday or today). I am working 'lates' this week so won't be able to make it back home in time to run with the club. That probably means I ought to go running in the mornings before work (yikes!). The bad news is, with this enforced rest lately and lack of exercise I have gained 3lbs and am back up to 15st (grrr..). Annoying to think it was only at the end of October when I was down to 14st 7lbs and was looking forward to going lower.

Sorry if I've not done a personal reply to everyone's news ..

Foxy - chuckled at you being anyone's after a couple of glasses of fizz - getting tiddly quicker is one advantage of not drinking much.

Sal (and Foxy) - I'll be taking another look at myfitnesspal (once I have broadband again!).

Spen - well done re the marathon time.

Toby - well done re the 18 miler (though 13 miles at 10:26mm pace isn't a bad run in my book). Sorry to hear about your car problems. We always try and use Premier Inn's wherever we travel - perfectly adequate for our needs.

Susie - had a good snigger at you asking OH to hide his nuts (fnar fnar) image Well done re parkrun and for mud-ifying your too-clean trainers.

B&T - well done for surviving your race and today's recovery run. Just read on (and thinking of what I mentioned to Toby) there is a Premier Inn in the old County Hall building in London (just round the corner from the London Eye). We use it when we visit London. My geography is rubbish so I have no idea how that would fit in re the marathon. But if not, there might be be other PI's that might suit? Even more impressed re Slaughterford now I've seen the Garmin data. Hope you will be able to sell on your Bath HM place .. and no, before you ask, I'm not interested! image

*waves* to anyone I've missed