Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Just wait, WM, til you get it going and see what it an do.... these new ones are witchcraft, honest.....

It can not, however, make you run faster....

• Options

Afternoon all

Well 15 miles done today got out while the sun was out but it still didn’t stop it being cold though and all those that have to go out in the morning or evening to have my greatest respects

The whole run took me 2:36:00 with an Avg pace of 10:18 m/m so on the whole not a bad run

• Options
    Hey folks- some great running, well done water vole, glad you are back to it Toby, glad you are back Mel and fab shirt B&T!

Bit of a week here but running continuing pretty much to plan- easy 5 on Tuesday but cold so hard to keep slow; skipped cross training session on Weds image but did intervals Thursday in -3 conditions. Then had a sports massage and all in good shape so I'm pleased. This morning drove to a lovely lake and did my easy 6, again hard to keep the pace down, it's fairly hilly by my standards (undulating for AH!) and 9.25mm!!

Tomorrow I am marshalling parkrun; forecast is -6 so have got one piece skisuit from loft and channelling my inner overweight Wookie look and forecast looking interesting for the Grim in the evening- might yet get to use my snow trax although spikes are banned! Maybe Sunday morning.

Mileage creeping up nicely- think it's 136 ytd!

Waves to everyone else!
  • Options

Hi All,

Mel -what can one say bargains that colour co-ordinate.

Toby - Good run today and yes blooming cold.

Fl - Respect marshalling tomorrow & the grim.  Good mileage, Good luck with the Grim

After seeing the forecast for tomorrow - more than likely snow decided to do my LSR run tonight.  Two shirts - two jackets - Tights and 3/4 bottoms - gloves and still felt the cold.  Nice 12 miles done faster than thought 8:23 M/M so building back up nicely again. 

Have a good weekend all

• Options

-7 deg marshalling this morning, beautiful though, and wore my ski suit so only cold fdingers handing out the numbers. 216 finishers.

Waiting to find out if run will be cancelled tonight, team members are stressing over forecast........

• Options

Hi all

LSR today as probably snowing here laterimageAnyway 13 miles,not sure of overall pace as garmin battery stopped 3 miles from home but think going by kitchen clock done in 2.5 hrs.Didnt intend running that far as have run 20 miles since Mondayimage so took no drink,sweets etc with me therefore suffered a bit on the last couple of miles but very pleased to do have done 33 miles this weekimageNo work this week so was able to run Mon,Tues,Thurs,Fri and todayimage

FL,well done for marshalling in such cold weather.Easier for runners as today i felt quite warm after the first mile or soimage

AH,great pace.Understand now about telford being your first HM,I just read it wrongimage

toby,great run,so pleased your knee must be betterimage

mel,didnt know you used to lived in Swindon.my sister lives in Stratton-st-Margaret image

Think i must order a new Garmin battery.This one looses its charge so quickly,and it would really muck me up if it happened during a race imageunless they dont work as well in cold weatherimage

have a great day,hope not too much snow though HLS quite excited image

• Options

Even snottier today. Did a thread on RW re tapering, witha cold but got no reply. Can anyone help?

Wokingham is 2 weeks away. Was going to do 11 miles tmrw, 8 next Sunday, with 50% and then 25% mileage for mid week runs. I cant see me running before this coming Weds..... can anyone suggest a taper plan for me? Or should I should suck it and see (or should I see sneeze and see)

Surprisingly, my HR is really low at the moment, in fact hasnt gone up at all, which is a really good sign.

Hope All enjoy running in the snow....

• Options

Water Vole- the age old rule is, if it's above the neck carry on regardless (unless you have some underlying condition such as asthma etc in which case be a bit more cautious); if it's affecting your chest rest up and recover.

How about lots of Vit C and echinacea. I swear by it.  If your HR is low keep going, a raised RHR is sign things aren't right.

In the end listen to your body.

Anyway the weather might kibosh things for running tomorrow, although I am digging out my snow trax ready for action in case I can have an excuse to use them!

I love a nice snomble.

Susie- well done on the run, I'm due 10m steady this weekend but assuming 8 miles of mud/sand/water and snowy tank training ground will suffice. I can always add 2 onto tomorrow's recovery run if I feel OK and am not in the local hospital with hypothermia.

• Options

Righto. But I think I may skip tmrws LSR, its just too blumin' cold!

The sky has gone v grey over here, near Aylesbury, Watford, no snow yet... anyone else?

Susebe... get your battery now! Or think about a new HRM? Or is it the one that sits in the strap? I always keep spare, because they go just when you dont want them to... 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

WV - I wouldn't stress too much about tapering - if you try to run too soon it won't help. Maybe fit in another LSR towards the end of this coming week if possible but stick to shorter runs as you get closer to race day.

Toby - am v. impressed with those run stats .. well done.

Foxy - pleased to see your running is going according to plan. I think a skisuit is a good idea for the cold weather, let alone for the snowy conditions which have now moved in. Good luck with the Grim (if it happens).

Ah - nice running from you too .. great mileage and pace.

Susie - re kitchen clock .. I remember using my car clock once when my Garmin battery ran out. Am very impressed with this week's mileage missus! I was in Swindon 79-84, then moved to Wootton Bassett. Was there until late 2010 when Mrs Wm invited me to move in with her in Cirencester.

I got out for a run earlier - glad I did as I managed to do it before the snow arrived. I did my 3.25ml route around town in 33.48 (10.21 mm pace). That included giving a lost driver some directions as I ran through town (30secs) and walking at the top of the hill out of town (90secs) so plenty of scope for improvement there. Looking out of the window a while ago we've had snow, but not too much so will see what tomorrow brings (hopefully rain to wash it away!) but the treadmill is waiting in the garage if needed.

PS: As it's been snowing I've been beavering away setting up the lappy - have Office 2010 installed on it now and Skype set up so all ready to go. Am impressed with the way it automatically logs onto our wi-fi network and was interested to find out the touchpad includes stuff like zooming which I've seen ipad/iphone users doing.

• Options
    Evening all
    Bailed out of parkrun t.his morning as parents here/ cold/ 4 glasses of wine last night and daughter didn't want to go. Feeble I know. Really regret it now as began snowing at lunchtime and so couldn't go as planned this afternoon. When will i learn?!
    Not much snow here, just enough to make it too slippy to run- grrr
    Great mileage Susie, you must be really pleased
    Good luck foxy and v impressed at marshalling
    I'd play it by ear WV, maybe set out for a short one and if you feel ok keep going?
  • Options

Morning All.

Grim Night Terror d&d.  Shorter than exppected (not sure if that was weather related) and a nice little bimble in the snow. All the big nasty cold muddy puddles iced up so not the usual mudbath we had anticipated although was suitably mudsplattered and soggy footed by the end.  RP and I then went on to our running club annual dinner and had a nice meal.

This morning I attached the snowtrax and did a nice 9miler- as The Grim was shorter than expected I did more than my planned 4m easy.

So over 150m for the year and about to sort this week's plan out.  Slightly worried about a sore throat so time to hit the achinacea......could be just running a lot in the cold.

• Options

Hi - just realised I've not posted in a while. I have been reading, but have been posting on a VLM Virgins thread - full of similarly neurotic & tired first timers just like me!

Toby - so sorry to hear about the car. But well done on the stretching and the run. Having to run home for some  money sounds like an incentive to go faster!

Susie - yes, I'd recommend Bath HM as well - that's why I paid £39 (eek!) to do it again this year! It does help that I was a student in the city, we still go there regularly and the route actually goes past one of our student houses - twice!

AH - good intervals

WV & Mel - new laptop? Mmmmmm image Enjoy - nothing quite so nice as a new super speedy laptop. Enjoy!

Mel - Ones-ies are sounding particulary attractive with this weather - although nothing can make them *look* attractive image 

WV - hope you feel better soon. Miserable when you're following a plan / trainig / tapering and then feel grotty. Mr B&T has a pouring nose today, so am keeping well clear!

Fl - well done on the Grim, and then doing 9M because it was shorter than expected??? Wonder Woman indeed!

Sal - hope you enjoyed your wine, and your parents being there as well!

I got out in the freezing -5C cold on Friday for my planned 10M LSR. It felt long, and slow - still felt tired from last Sunday's race. After about a mile i was in Chippenham town centre, going past a public loo, so I popped in 'just in case' - I never normally mind about popping behind a bush in the middle of nowhere, but in those temperatures I really didn't fancy getting exposure so thought I'd go whilst I could! Warmed up after a couple of miles, so dumped jacket and after another few miles removed gloves and fleecy handband-ear-warmer thing as well. Had to stop and adjust my laces in Lacock , and even just stopping for a couple of minutes was enough to make me feel cold, and I had to put my gloves and headband back on.

By yesterday though, my shin was feeling sore, and getting sorer, and after some googling it sounds like I now have posterior shin splints in my right leg image Was very sore when walking, so have been icing it, keeping my leg up (as much as possible, in between plumbing disasters!) and for compression I have a crepe bandage wrapped around it. Feeling a little better this morning, but was feeling very gloomy last night.

Thinking about it, because of following my schedule by 'week', I've actually managed to do 2 long runs in  6 days, and actually ran about 27 miles last week - ooops. I also ran in my new shoes on Friday, maybe 10 miles was too far in new shoes? Anyway, have learny my lesson and will consider what to do this week over a pub lunch

• Options

The bet thing that this new laptop did was work out - for itself - that there was a printer in the very next room to where it sits, so it worked out - for itself - how to get the printer accessed onto the laptop WITHOUT HUMAN INTERVENTION. And now I can print off stuff from that printer without even loading any printer installation programme onto the laptop myself.

Now that is Witchcraft....... it should get dunked into a pond to see if it floats................

Morning all!! After another night awake, I got up this am feeling tons better tahn yesterday. I went for a walk with Mr Vole, went in my running kit, and was able to do 3 lots of half miles at a jog/ run pace. Mega pleased or what. I also got your responses and a response to the thread I started, and its been v comforting to know that the damage to my Half prospects are too bad..... with a bit of luck I should be out on Tues, for a medium run, methinks.

Nice to see everyone out and about....

Im doing my Half in two weeks time.... I can still drop in here cant I, after.... have a 10k and a 10 miler in March and April!!

Black and Tabby.... the 27 miles, was that a big increase on the week, or was it just because you did the LSRs over 6 days instead of 7, methinks the latter. Not sure of the shoes is a red herring, I would just ease back and then get back into it. Lordy, theres me giving advice when Im sat here full of snot......

• Options

Water Vole, I joined this thread having already done my first HM, many years ago, of course you can stay; and well done on feeling better.

I've done WHM twice, both times a PB. The first year (when I joined this thread) it was cancelled in Feb due to snow and rerun in May on a blazing hot day. Last year it was my first sub 2 hour HM, my PB course is now Maidenhead HM at 1:54 (one for you to think about, lovely flat race- September).

WHM is fast and flat- bar a couple of motorway bridges; support wanes in the country bits but a nice finish (except my OH and HLs were late and missed my moment of triumph last year!).  Lots of nice restaurants in Wokers full of sweaty runners afterwards.

I did think about doing it this year as I wanted to do 5 HMs over the Autumn-Spring season but decided I was a bit bored with it so did Maidenhead (new), Henley (evil hill) and still to come Water of Life HM at Marlow (gorgeous), RHM (boring but heho) and Bracknell which is a new one to me. So avoided WHM this year.

Loving the IT witchcraft, wish it would happen here sometimes.

B&T- nice to have you back!

Training plan for week sorted:

Tuesday: intervals, Weds x-t, Thursday 7m fartlek, Friday 8m easy, Sat x-t or 4m steady depending on oven man! and Bramley 10m race on Sunday. And then I must start getting the mileage up on the LSRs.

8 weeks to go!

• Options
    Watervole - mileage over the last few weeks has been 19, 21, then 19 again last week as I skipped a run this week as I was tired ( ah diddums!) However because I do my LSR on Fridays, and races are usually on Sundays then from race last Sunday to LSR this Friday, came out as 26 miles. Good job I missed a run! And yes - please stay even after your HM - my first was in 2010 and I'm still here image glad you're feeling a bit better, and that you got out for a little 'jogette'.

Foxy your weekly schedule is making my leg ache just reading about it!

Pub lunch was good, walk did leg some good as feeling better again, so now feet up watching rugby with ice applied.
  • Options

Hmmmm, sounds as if its the "weeks" that have gone askew?

Nie to be made welcome here! x

• Options

Hi All,

Well done FL on the Grim and indeed the 9 Miler.

B&T - Hope the shin splints are O.K.  While the mileage is going up and feeling tired make sure your eating for it - you might just need more fuel?

WV - Yes stick around - I came on this thread once I started  running and had the nerve to post, been given a a lot of good advice.  Always thankful for that.  Dont worry about a few missed sessions may just help you but try not to catch up.

Glad I had a rest day yesterday, horrendous conditions.  Nice 6+ miles done tonight at MP well HR - club run tomorrow.

• Options

Hi - just realised I've not posted in a while. I have been reading, but have been posting on a VLM Virgins thread - full of similarly neurotic & tired first timers just like me!

Toby - so sorry to hear about the car. But well done on the stretching and the run. Having to run home for some  money sounds like an incentive to go faster!

Susie - yes, I'd recommend Bath HM as well - that's why I paid £39 (eek!) to do it again this year! It does help that I was a student in the city, we still go there regularly and the route actually goes past one of our student houses - twice!

AH - good intervals

WV & Mel - new laptop? Mmmmmm image Enjoy - nothing quite so nice as a new super speedy laptop. Enjoy!

Mel - Ones-ies are sounding particulary attractive with this weather - although nothing can make them *look* attractive image 

WV - hope you feel better soon. Miserable when you're following a plan / trainig / tapering and then feel grotty. Mr B&T has a pouring nose today, so am keeping well clear!

Fl - well done on the Grim, and then doing 9M because it was shorter than expected??? Wonder Woman indeed!

Sal - hope you enjoyed your wine, and your parents being there as well!

I got out in the freezing -5C cold on Friday for my planned 10M LSR. It felt long, and slow - still felt tired from last Sunday's race. After about a mile i was in Chippenham town centre, going past a public loo, so I popped in 'just in case' - I never normally mind about popping behind a bush in the middle of nowhere, but in those temperatures I really didn't fancy getting exposure so thought I'd go whilst I could! Warmed up after a couple of miles, so dumped jacket and after another few miles removed gloves and fleecy handband-ear-warmer thing as well. Had to stop and adjust my laces in Lacock , and even just stopping for a couple of minutes was enough to make me feel cold, and I had to put my gloves and headband back on.

By yesterday though, my shin was feeling sore, and getting sorer, and after some googling it sounds like I now have posterior shin splints in my right leg image Was very sore when walking, so have been icing it, keeping my leg up (as much as possible, in between plumbing disasters!) and for compression I have a crepe bandage wrapped around it. Feeling a little better this morning, but was feeling very gloomy last night.

Thinking about it, because of following my schedule by 'week', I've actually managed to do 2 long runs in  6 days, and actually ran about 27 miles last week - ooops. I also ran in my new shoes on Friday, maybe 10 miles was too far in new shoes? Anyway, have learny my lesson and will consider what to do this week over a pub lunch

• Options
    Evening all

Well done Foxy, hope you got changed before the dinner!
    Hope your shin holds out B&T, it's hard not to worry
    Glad you're better WV. I'm still here even tho don't have time to train for HMs and am sticking to 10ks at the mo
    Just 2.44m in the slush between sledging and Secret Garden (which was lovely)
    Another fairly hectic week so will squeeze in what I can then off to Anglesey for half term the week after to embrace the hills!

9.65/70
  • Options
    Whoops - now how did I manage to post the same post I did earlier?????? Have no idea - please ignore that second post!
  • Options

SlowSal- we were very organised- it was like packing for a weekend not a race!

We arrived in our running kit and grim T-shirts looking suitably mud-spalttered, damp and chilly and dived into the restaurant loos where a superman style transformation took place.

Not sure they are used to people stripping in Strada!

There's a race pic on FB- I look far too happy!  For those of you without FB, Grimpics  race no 200. That finds the best one although there are a couple of others.

Enjoy the hills SS.

• Options

Thought you were making up for lost time B&T!!

• Options

Blimey, Foxy, you look all glam and happy.... Im usually about to expire on the side of the road when a photographer is around, or in the middle of clearing my nose.......

Feeling a lot better today. Off some of the medicines, but sticking to the snorting of drops for the time being. Even considering going out today, quite bizarre after how I felt at weekend.

Hope All well? Good snow running.....

• Options

Afternoon all

Well i took Sunday night of work this week to give us the whole weekend to look for a new car so we went out Saturday to have a look in the locale garages and if there was nothing we were going to ask my sister to take us over to Kingswood and have all look in the garage where she gets hers from

And after walking around all morning we found 3 that would do the job the wife originally wanted a Ford Ka but after looking at a couple we decided that they just weren’t big enough for what we needed

So we stop in one of the cafe for a cup of tea and bacon butty and to discuss which one we would go for but mainly to warm up

Out of the 3 in the end we went for a 4 door ford fiesta but only if they could come down on the price as it was about £300 pound more than we had so we went back to the garage and asked

they were a bit reluctant but in the end they drop the price through in a new MOT and 6 months warranty the only thing is it’s a diesel so i little apprehensive as i have never had on before on the other hand it’s only £30 year for the road tax so i suppose it like anything it’s going to be swings and roundabouts

Hopefully pick it up on Wednesday

Have 4 to do today with 10 tomorrow and 5 Thursday and my second 20 mile run on Friday

• Options
    Well done Toby, hate car shopping; happy to keep mine until it can't transport me to races any more.

Thanks Water Vole, that was just before the finish so I'd managed an en route strip and to move my race number onto my shirt not jacket. I'm looking a bit ninja-esque in the others!

At one point was so warm I was tempted to go to crop top level!!

Had an email from the organisers apologising for the course being short 6.8 rather than 8miles, as health and safety issues meant a change of route. At least they didn't cancel so fair play to them but did work out as £3.67/mile!! Interesting take on it!

Intervals tomorrow (bleurgh) so running partner can use our Thursday run as his pre race taper for Sunday- we're doing the same one except I'm NOT mara training so am doing the 10m option while he does the 20m.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Sal - those excuses for not doing the parkrun sound perfectly fine to me - here's your non-running 'chitty' image

Foxy - well done re the Grim Night Terror and Sunday's 9 miler. Hope the sore throat doesn't amount to anything. Having read on, despite the race name and it snowing, you still managed to look very glam in that photo.

B&T - am enjoying the new laptop - shame it will eventually slow down if we fill it with crud! image Well done re Friday's 10miler - don't blame you stopping in Chippenham centre 'just in case' (better than having an even more frozen butt later!). Shame your right shin was sore afterwards but think your analysis could be right re new shoes and/or higher mileage. Sorry to hear about plumbing disaster too (saw update on FB).

WV - Mrs Wm had already decided she needed a new printer before I got the new laptop .. now we have the new BT hub up and running we can think of getting a printer that is wireless-enabled. Ideally I can find one that can also be directly plugged in to Mrs Wm's pc or maybe I can set up a home network? Needless to say I will need to do the necessary research and come up with the best solution! image Glad to hear you were able to have a little 'jogette' at the weekend. Some of us have been chatting on here for years so yes, you can drop in here after your HM. In fact, having found us, it would be a shame if you DID drift away.

Toby - I remember when I was car-hunting I was surprised how the new Ford models looked like old-style ones that had been on steroids. I found the new Fiesta was plenty big enough for my needs and like you, had to wheel and deal to get the price down to what I wanted. I don't think you'll have any problems with it being a diesel.

** I assumed B&T posted twice in case we had skipped over her posting earlier and hadn't read it properly first time **  imageimage

I managed to get out for a 3ml run on Saturday before the snow arrived. Which when it did was a bit of an anti-climax, as we only had 1" and it's mostly thawed and gone now. All being well (and traffic permitting) I will be home in time to run with the club tonight (general run) and again on Wednesday (hills/intervals).

A little story for you ... for his 30th birthday my 'ex' and I treated my son to a laptop. He received a bequest and decided to treat himself to a new MacBook ... so he gave his Mum the laptop. She uses it daily but has never offered to repay me my half of the cost (grrrr..). And because I had previously installed Norton 360 on this laptop (the same copy and licence I use) she has been getting 'free' Norton protection ever since.  I got a new copy of Norton 360 with my new laptop - so will be installing the software on that and our two desktop pc's. I went onto the Norton website at the weekend and made sure the old copy doesn't automatically renew. So my 'ex' will probably get a bit of a surprise when 'her' copy of Norton expires and she finds she will have to fork out for her own copy. Evil? Moi?? imageimage

• Options

RTM..... sometimes Devils works is necessary to avenge the wicked............image

Never ask me anything about computers..... its all a mystery............ I thought a MacBook was something from McDonalds!

Car hunting is marginally worse than carpet/ curtain shopping, insurance shopping, going to the dentist, filling in tax forms. Actually I could go on and on. Dont we have loads of horrible tasks in our Lives we have to do? It would be so nice to not have to do them, and have them done by someone else.

Its so nice though, that we run... how I would miss that if I eve rhad to give it up. Sometimes I read the threads about injuries, and some folk are out for months/ years, it would drive me mad. I would probably have to give it up and do something else <coils in horror at prospect>

Got my numer this am for Wokingham.... ohhheeeee.... excitement. Actually feel quite fit now, so there must be something wrong.

• Options

Evening

Fab photo Foxy - can't believe you don't have gloves onimage

Snow's goneimage

Great bargaining Toby - you must be pleased

Governors meeting straight from work today so missed core class but hoping to run Tues Thurs