Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options
    WV- you're a great addition to this thread and keep making me giggle!

You guessed it, I live near Reading and don't have to travel far for lots of good races. Hence doing WHM twice (my nearest HM) and my fifth RHM this year.

It is a bit nippy out there- was -1 when I ran 7miles this morning; was due to be 1m w/up 5m fartlek and 1m w/down but RP needed a shorter run so we did just over 5k in my trail shoes taking him the route of my 5K race. Being off road it was still snowy and very icy in places so we took it carefully; then home, put my road shoes on and did some lamppost fartlek to make up the distance. Overall pace 9.14mm which I am pleased about, but the cold does motivate one somewhat as we've all noticed, and make the nose drip for the rest of the day!!

I'm having a slightly mad moment and wondering, if I feel OK after my 10m race, whether to do the second lap to keep RP company on Sunday. Haven't done anything longer than 10m since Henley HM in October, however done lots of miles so might cut tomorrow's easy 8 back to 4, and I'm stuck in waiting for an oven man on Saturday so could taper then.......

And on a more sane note; B&T take it easy with that injury.
    Toby: not sure what's worse- dreadmill or dragon's den!!
    Susiebe- well done on the diet. I just made some peanut butter fudge- 200cals for a small piece; I love peanut butter and this would be why we don't keep it in the house I suspect!! Sending it skiing with the boys in the interest of my size 8 skinnies!
    SS- fingers crossed on the house.

Waves to the others......
  • Options

.......... a slightly mad moment..... wondering whether to do 10 miles or 20 miles on Sunday when it blumin' freezing, nose turned to an ice cube......  hhhmmmm.... now let me see.....

Seriously, difficult call, only you can decide. Problem is that if you go for the 20, you wont get a 10 finishing time... mind you, you will get a 20 time instead...... 

.....you could always run the 10, get a finishing time and then run the course in reverse, so meeting Mr Fox at say mile 17 (or whatever, you can work it out on pace/ time left etc where approx you would meet), that would probably really buck him up! Run say 2.50 miles with him, let him go over the line...... and he will love you forever, you will get bundles of brownie points, as well as having a even-more brilliant day.

Black and Moggy.... have you tried putting on an ibuprofen gel before you go to bed.. Ive done that many a time when I have had a niggle, it gives that extra bit of help. I found it made a difference. Use in moderation, though, and not as a mask to hide pain.

• Options

Water Vole- yet again I am ROFL at you.

I should say at this point my running partner (RP) is not Mr FL!! He is a neighbour who occasionally pops on here, posts randomly and is called JohnFol!!  He is a complete star who usually runs at sill o'clock with me so saving me from oncoming cars etc.....

I was planning to run and finish the 10m properly and then kind of sneak back on the course and join him if we can time it right........ Of course 10m pace should be different to 20m pace, but (hoping he's not lurking), he will be quite tired and I can probably keep going with him, well hopefully....

Lots of lucozade jelly beans may be involved.........plus will actually need to eat properly on Saturday....

• Options

..... we all know abou neighbours who pop in ........imageimage

I think it s a brilliant idea, if you can do some of the race with him in the latter stages. Im guessing he may be fatigued by the end ("No, WV, you are mistaken he will be full of the joys of Spring, all bushy tailed ready to do a third lap") so juts to be there for him will really good, unless hes Mr Grumpy.

Yep, loads of Lucozade jelly beans... are they actually any better than say normal jelly beans?? I havent really thought about that for my Half yet.

• Options

Dunno, but my brother in law gets them cheap so I have flipping loads of them stashed here.

Not so sickly and I like them.

Not sure if they'd be enough for a marathon tho'

• Options

....... can't stand the gels, like frog spawn...... < WV pulls face> 

• Options

Yup, like Cliff bars but think they're a bit indigestible for mid run, so will likely be rattling my way round possibly drinking flat coke!  Sounds like a plan?

Sorting nutrition aspect is one thing that has put me off so far.,

• Options

< WV pulls another face >

Why dont they make nice things for when you are ready to drop down like a brick wall on the side of the road..... SURELY they can invent something which is actually edible.....

I usually end up fantasising about what I am going to eat when Ive finished the event. Its usually flapjack or doughnuts.... anyone else... what do you eat after a tough race??

• Options

Hi All,

After a marathon Steak with all the trimmings, Medium rare Hmmmmmmmm.

FL - You can ignore this if you wantimage,  If your training for a half 8 miles steady 4 miles at race pace - If your training for a MARATHON? - All steady or last few miles at race pace.  I really believe I have left good performances on a training run.  Maybe I'm reading between the lines but are you considering a marathon.

Susie - Meant to have said before well done on the weight loss.

Really sore throat and head today so took an extra rest day hopefully be alright for tomorrow.  With WV weather forecast not so hopeful.

• Options
    WV- what have you done? It is snowing!!

AH- it's all a bit mad; wondering whether to take JT's Brighton mara place after all, so Sunday could be a distance test to see if I could do it....

I've just had a play with my HM training plan which currently has me running 5x a week and by amalgamating the LSR and one other, mileage is almost unchanged throughout but I get the required LSRs in.

Deciding this late in the day means I can't go for a silly time target but just aim to get round OK. And can keep RP company....

All a bit mad......
  • Options

Evening all!

You see FL - its infectious! You've been running such good mileage lately anyway, that if you can tweak your plan so you get an extra rest day it sounds like a good 'un to me! I was thinking that in January you'd already done a higher mileage then me, and I *was* on a marathon training plan! Good luck if you do decide to go for it..... and good luck on Sunday whichever race you go for!

Post race treat??? I don't know, but I really enjoyed my Wagamamas after Reading - and the place was full of other sweaty medal-bedecked racwers as well, so I wasn't the only one enjoying it!

AH - hope you feel better tomorrow. Maybe  the cold weather will kill the germs?

Water Vole - so agree about the gels - although I've never eaten frog spawn, so I can only guess they're the same. I always scoff Shot Bloks - like cube of undissolved jelly - all natural stuff in them - yum!

Calf Compression sleeves arrived today. Don't know if they're working like they should, but have to say my right leg is lovely and toasty, which is no bad thing. Hope to pop out for a little plod-ette tomorrow....

• Options

..... wasnt me.... wasnt me..... wasnt me.....

Snowing here too. Mr V out tonight so I had pizza and beans for tea AND bannoffee ice cream AND a chocolate mini roll...... OMG....... whats happened to me.... been  watching too much Biggest Loser..... not a fresh thing in sight.

Will look up Shot Bloks, Black and Tabby..... I love sweeties.

Foxy..... accept the Wind of Good Fortune and grab the ticket with both arms....... Bramley is there waiting to thrust you towards Brighton...........

• Options

Hi Again,

FL - if you do decide to do the marathon ( which you are more than capable of doing) I would really recommend not racing 10 miles just take the 20 mile option and run it steady.  Target Marathon Pace + 10% or a minute.  Go for it in the last few miles if your feeling good.  Wish you all the best for your marathon.  How is JT send her our best wishes.

Gels - Are awful but really help me not burning out.

B&T - Good luck with the compression gear - I'm wrapped up like an Egyptian mummy last few weeks of Marathon training.

• Options
    ............... how many shot bloks for a Half..... one packet? Take each piece at what intervals?
  • Options
    Evening
    House clean and tidy for tomorrow, 2.5m tempo done in the sleet, ready for my bath image
    Great speedy running Susie and WV
    OMG Foxy, I'm sure you once said never to a marathon. Go for it....bet you'll do fine. Listen to AH- he's wise
    How's Julia?
    Sounds like a lovely tea WV

16.44/70
  • Options
    JT is fine, just not running at the moment, but painting instead!!

Shotblocks are nice, had forgotten them, yum.

And yes SS, I have always said no way.....
  • Options

Should be in bed!

WV I'm sure I've read 1 packet of shot bloks (6 pieces in each) is like a gel, so  to have 3 - 6 pieces per hour. Pretty sure after 1 hour, I've tried to have 1 piece every hour, so 'drip feeding' sugar rather than 'mainlining' it in one big hit.

• Options

Thanks for that, Black and Tabby.... will try and get some in the week.

All white here this am, only about 2", so should be fine for a run and a swim today. Its sunny, which feels quite strange.... maybe we havent seen the sun for a while, or it may be a bit higher. 8 miles on Sunday.... luxury after the 12.50 I had been doing!!

• Options

Hi All,

FL - Regarding your 20/10 mile race - It would probably be better to do a 4 - 5 mile warm up then 10 @ TMP.  Advantages - easy to recover from - Not jumping up the miles in one hit - ready to build up the long runs for the Marathon - A good MP workout toimage.

• Options

Knew I was posting too late last night! Think its actually 1/2 a packet of Shot Bloks = 1 gel, but the packet does say 3 - 6 'bloks' per hour. You can but them 1 packet at a time on ebay, think its £2.20 ish for 1, so you can try different flavours before buying a whole box!

Foxy - lots of good advice from those in the know for you!

Watervole - enjoy  your snowy run today.

Can I ask a quick question (which I think I know the answer to, really, in my heart of hearts!).

Adidas compression calf guards arrived yesterday. They are certainly nice and toasty! I have no idea if they're helping or not, but I guess when I get back out to run, then keeping muscles / tendons nice & toasty will be a good thing? Spot on my shin is still achy today - not sure if its because all that blood has been rushing to the area to heal it. I was planning on going out for a little plod today and see how I feel, however we had snow overnight, and although its not deep, it is very slushy and slippy in places.

So - question - bearing in mind I won't be running at all next week for various reasons, is it worth pushing myself out the door for a plod today? Will I be doing any good at all, or would it only be a confidence boost that I made it out after a week of not running? Bearing in mind the possibilty of making shin hurt more, am I better just forgetting about running today, and hoping that an extra weeks rest will ensure shin is shiny & painfree? I will be exercising next week, just not running.

Honest opinions please - I was determined to get out today, but am now veering towards not pushing it. Or have I just got lazy after a week of not running????

• Options
    Rest B&T- it's what you need. And don't risk slipping and injuring.

I did a nice 4m snomble at 6am this morning with my snowtrax on my trail shoes. Took it nice and easy, average just over 10mm. SO seem to have moved on to my new plan as it should have been 8 easy, but I'm tapering for Sunday.

Thanks for the advice AH! Will take the first 10 easier than planned, and see how I feel and hopefully rejoin the field and carry on with RP;n it's a 2 lap course, so other option is to run some of lap 2 with him and then reverse...Just going to see how I feel on the day. Looked at the Brighton Mara site at sill o'clock this morning and now feel sick....
  • Options

Hi all

imageWow I never thought I'd see FL and marathon in the same sentenceimageBrighton is a great event and you are a great runner so thats brilliantimagebet your RP will like having your support too

B+T,I wanted to run today too but footpaths slippy and lots of slush by side of road so no option but to stay in and prepare for HL1 sleepover tonightimage.Extra rest will do a lot more good than risking a run today.Can you go swimming instead at the moment?is there a chance of getting some childcare for run next week or children ride on bikes??

Well I think i have a race to addimage GNR on Sept 16th though I havent had a confirmation email but when i type my refenece number in to GNR site it says I've been successful in the ballot and I see some money(£48image)has come out of my bank account.Trying to phone wasnt successful as put on hold for ages but guess they are very busy but need to get on and book some accomodation.One of my ambitions has always been GNR so image 54,000 runnersimagecan safely say I wont be lastimage

• Options
    Yay, well done Susiebe!

I know, but still on about 90% decided.....still think that way madness lies but the idea of only 8 weeks "training" sounds better than 16!
  • Options

REST B&T - Get completely fixed - you have enough time afterwards.

Susiebe - Well done but how much.

FL - Only you know what you want but 8 weeks is enough from a good base like yours.

I'm going for another rest night tonight roads are lethall and freezing drizzle at the moment - I have 11 weeks after this weekend so hoping this is the last of the bad weather.

• Options

Evening all

Well  that’s second of my 20 mile runs done i had to kick myself out the door today and when i left it was snowing but fortunately it stop after about 2.5 miles the whole run took me 3:31:37 with an Avg pace of 10:49 m/m

Which i am pleased with as i set out to keep the pace slow and the good thing is i managed to run the whole 20 miles this time with no walk breaks

• Options
    Toby, well done!! Especially in this weather.
    Watching Run Fatboy Run for inspiration!
  • Options

Too late now B&T but I would have advised rest as well...learnt that lesson the tough way last year

Great news Susie

That sounds like a fab run Toby, especially being out for so long in this cold weather

Last day of work today then off for half term - Hooray. Viewing seemed to go wellish but now we wait...

parkrun in the morning

• Options

Evening all! Thanks for the advice all - took it & didn't run image

Susie - woo hoo !!!! Exciting stuffimage

Toby - great run - well done

Gotta dash now - off for a little while so see you soon - happy running - hope the snow goes soon!

• Options
    Morning
    Bitterly cold parkrun this morning -32.40, bit disappointed. Apparently I was nominated for parkrunner of the month last week when I wasn't there image
    Getting packed now and off to Anglesey after lunch.
    Have a good week everyone
    19.54/70
  • Options

Great time Toby, hats off to you... no way I would go out go out for 3hr+ in this weather. (no way I would go out for 3hr+ in any weather, if the truth be told).  I bet everything was freezing cold when you got back! At least you didnt do it in the middle of the night (you didnt did you?)

And blimey... a Parkrun......  it was -7 here this am, could not have imagined what it was like to run at those temps.... my nose would be solid. Did it hurt more, with it being cold... being serious here.... did you find it harder to run? Sometimes this weather I get blinding pains up my nose when its this cold (God, I sound a right wimp!)

Good luck for tomorrow, Foxy, have you finally decided what you are doing..... let us all know.I shall keep fingers crossed.

Rest day for me, so a short walk, then its wall-to-wall sport with the footie and rugby....