GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Hi all

SS,'Bitterly cold parkrun this morning -32.40'   For a second I thought that was the temperatureimage

Really well done for getting out there and have a great time in Angleseyimage

toby,fantastic run in such cold conditionsimage

Water Vole,I'll be watching the rugby too.Planning on running today but will see what the conditions are like,might have to make it a shorter one today and run again tomorrowimage

• Well done on parkrun SS, have a good break, and B&T.

Too cold for my lungs out there although it looks gorgeous, anyway, am "tapering". Had a long sleep last night and everything seems to have seized up, so popped up the gym for 10mins row/10mins elliptical/core and arms and lots of stretches. Possibly should head for neighbours' hot tub but supposed to me spring cleaning as Mr FL and HLs are away....

As for tomorrow: still unsure, obviously the 10, then if OK will carry on. May stop and turn back or push through which would I admit, be insane, but as not worried about the time, can have some walk breaks if necessary.

I shall enjoy not watching the rugby!
  • I thought she DID mean -32.40 too!!!

Difficult call on the running, as Monday is even milder, but I get a bit fidgety if I dont run longer on a Sunday, its sort of hallowed tradition isnt it. I was saying to Mr Vole this am, its going to be so nice to be able to go out more when we get better weather. At the moment, going out means running/ swimming/ choir, and thats it. In Spring...... go into London, into Oxford, around gardens (public ones not trepassing!)... not to mention hols!!

And here we all are, in the cold, all huddled up.... bring on Spring!

• It's warmer tomorrow I think WV. I was planning crop top and shorts image
    On that note time to clear the grate, refil the log basket and coal bucket and relay the fire for tonight.
  • ............ shorts............. took 10 seconds to put on, sport bra, vest, socks shoes, out the door.... Takes about 5 minutes now.

The thing that really pisses me off is that I get all my gear on (pants, cycle shorts, running tights, jogging pants), tuck everything in, then realise I need to go to the loo.

Then when you try and put everything back in one go, it all ravels up into 1 big mess and wont unravel.....

Or is that just me.......

• You wear too much, just run faster!!!!
  • Yeah, to be fair, I do this weather. Normally (ie above 1 degree) I run to let heat out rather than keep it in,and Im useless in the heat. HR goes through the ceiling when its anything above 15 degrees....

Jut been out for an hrs walk with Mr Vole, face feels like its been sandblasted...

• I'm just looking out the window at it, should really go for a potter but the hoover is calling me....and still in gym gear....
  • ... go for a potter... need to stretch or has gym session done that?

It was lovely out......image.... hoover will be still there when you get back........image

• Christ..... trying to sort out a Spring break in Paris..... zillions of hotelsimage..... Tripadvisor/ Expedia...... its all too much... just want a decent hotel........does anyone know of a jolly good hotel... central, quiet, clean, nice.... please help.....
  • RACE REPORT ALERT (I know I don't usually bother but this time...)
    Bramley 10/20m (I'd entered the 10m officially....)

Race went brilliantly. Ran the 10m lap I was entered for in a PB by about 5 minutes!
    Then a quick stop to move my bag to the 20m tent and wait for RP to catch up and ran on and did the second lap with him. Have to confess to abandoning him about Mile 17 as he was struggling I was feeling good.
    Overall time 3.01 for the 20, average pace 9.05mm. Slowed it down when running with him which may have been a good thing. Last half mile was a bit tired but felt I could have carried on.
    Fuel-wise, had a good carbload of cake and lasagne last night, 4 weetabix for breakfast, a banana before the start and 2 packs of lucozade jelly beans and a few jelly beans round the course. Didn't fuel after about 15 miles as was fed up of them and felt OK.

So looks like a yes to Brighton then! Limb wise, all a bit tight, would have liked a massage but queues were long and have one booked for Tuesday. Have stretched and had a hot tub plus off to local spa tomorrow evening so intend to swim and see what else I feel like doing to get moving and then an easy run on Tuesday if I can move!!

Splits: Lap 1 9.11/8.37/8.31/8.24/8.32/8.40/8.31/8.32/8.23/7.56
    Lap 2: 9.25/9.47/9.41/9.48/10.01/10.19/10.20/9.35/8.59 and a little SFTL: 250ft at 7.15!!

Really really pleased image

Have now scoffed more leftover lasagne/jacket potato and hummus and a kitkat! And 2 pints of diet coke.

Hope everyone else had good runs.....
  • Hi everyone

So sorry for my absence recently. We had our album launch in Manchester, then got the new single played on Soccer AM yesterday, BBC 6 Music today, and booked in a support tour with the Inspiral Carpets so have been mad busy. All sorted now though.

Really sorry - not had a chance to have a proper catch up on all the posts. I saw and read quite a few but then i've managed to forget who said what. I do remember though : AH - thanks so much for the advice. Really appreciate it as always.

Toby - not sure if you have accommodation sorted yet for GNR. I provisionally booked a room at Morpeth (as there is a race day transfer from Morpeth) which I thought was quite a good deal. I got a double room through booking.com for £59.95. Here is the hotel if it helps : http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/waterford-lodge-morpeth.en-gb.html?sid=53825ce3ceee431c44957884dee21908;dcid=2

I've reposted the race list, but I haven't added anything so if I've missed anything, would you let me know please and I'll add it. Thanks :

GULP RACE LIST :

12 Feb 2012 _____ FoxyLady - Bramley 10 miler

4 March 2012 _____SusieB - Bideford HM

11 March 2012 __ Toby3 / B&T - Bath Half Marathon / Claireruns - Addidas Half Marathon / JessL - Salisbury 10 miles / Sal - Trafford 10K

25 March 2012 ___ JessL - Wilmslow Half Marathon / FoxyLady - Water of Life HM

1st April 2012 ___ FoxyLady - Reading Half Marathon

6th April 2012 ___ Maidenhead Easter 10 miler

15 April 2012 ___ Toby3 - Brighton Marathon

22 April 2012 ____ B&T - London Marathon

29th April 2012 ___ JessL / Susiebe1 - Manchester Marathon / FoxyLady - Bracknell HM

20th May 2012 ___ JessL - Great Manchester 10K Run

9th June 2012 ____ JessL - 10K Trailblazer Sherwood Forest

8th July 2012 ____ JessL - New Forest 10 Mile

16 Sept 2012 _____ Toby - Great North Run

30 Sept 2012 _____ JessL - Loch Ness Marathon

27 Oct 2012 ______ Another Hill - Snowdonia Marathon

Thanks. Hope you're all well xx
  • Hi Jess, could you add me to ....Brighton Mara on 15th April with Toby, GULP!

And Bracknell HM on April 29th, nice recovery run. Yikes I am racing 5 out of 6 weekends!!
    Thanks
  • Hi Foxy

Absolutely. I'm possibly thinking of still doing Brighton Marathon as I have my last long run of 20 miles that day, and thinking that if I took it a bit easy and treat it as a training run, I'd like to give it a go. I'll see nearer the time though Just want to see Brighton to be honest - ha ha

Here's the list of races (Sal - I've taken your Olympic one off - that's sad. )

29th Jan 2012 ___ B&T - Slaughterford 9

4 Feb 2012 _______FoxyLady - Grim Night Terror

12 Feb 2012 _____ FoxyLady - Bramley 10 miler

4 March 2012 _____SusieB - Bideford HM

11 March 2012 __ Toby3 / B&T - Bath Half Marathon / Claireruns - Addidas Half Marathon / JessL - Salisbury 10 miles / Sal - Trafford 10K

25 March 2012 ___ JessL - Wilmslow Half Marathon / FoxyLady - Water of Life HM

1st April 2012 ___ FoxyLady - Reading Half Marathon

6th April 2012 ___ Maidenhead Easter 10 miler

15 April 2012 ___ Toby3 / Foxy Lady / JessL (possibly) - Brighton Marathon

22 April 2012 ____ B&T - London Marathon

29th April 2012 ___ JessL / Susiebe1 - Manchester Marathon / FoxyLady - Bracknell HM

20th May 2012 ___ JessL - Great Manchester 10K Run

9th June 2012 ____ JessL - 10K Trailblazer Sherwood Forest

8th July 2012 ____ JessL - New Forest 10 Mile

16 Sept 2012 _____ Toby - Great North Run

30 Sept 2012 _____ JessL - Loch Ness Marathon

27 Oct 2012 ______ Another Hill - Snowdonia Marathon

Thanks. Hope you're all well xx
  • Well done FL.  Nice one.  So you have booked up now.

Jess - seems like the band are doing well.

Nice 14 miles out in the hills today.  Not at Fl pace though

• I will be Julia T for the day! Have booked a weekend Mara training camp next weekend that my club are organising, staying at my sister's near Brighton the night before so just need to sort the park and ride out!
    And possibly buy a new garmin as my battery seems useless.
  • Has there been some sweepstake I was unaware of?? imageimage
  • Yes - but we all went for same answer.  FL will never do oneimageimage
  • I only have 5 to do today an those will be on the treadmill in front of the televisiong old age is creepin on fast now image

• I appear to have full use of limbs and lungs despite yesterday's exploits, wondering whether to pop out for about 3 easy recovery miles as it looks lovely and the other option is ironing!

Any thoughts, those of you with long run experience?
  • Good morning all, and a special cheer for our Top Lady <huuurraahhhh>

Well done Gal. That was a fantastic effort, and to PB your 10, and then carry on.... really was awesome. <Water Vole takes off hat and waves it in Immense Respect> Well done you!! xx

Good morning Jess.... Im a newbie on here and Im very shy and quiet. Could you put me down for Wokingham Half this Sunday (image), Maidenhead April 6th and MK 10K on 4th March. Everyone is a miles longer runner than me, but I dont mind as long as you guys dont either! I have to say everyones efforts are fantastic, and a real inspiration to me.

I have Wokingham Half this Sunday. Of course every limb aches and groans at the minute, and Im all snotty still.... think its more sinus-y type thingy lingering fromthe other week. Thats all means I should have an OK time of sub 2.10. Cant see it being sub 2.05, but as long a sI finish, I will be delighted!

Toby... old age.. you are a slip of a Boy!!......

• Another hill.... am I to gather from your litle picture thingy that you are in mourning htis am after yesterdays match???? (Man City fan here, born in Manchester, of course)
  • Were I not away WV, would have popped over to WHM to cheer you on. It's a fast course, you'll do fine.
    And thanks image
  • Thanks, Foxy, am getting a bit nervous now.... always do before a race, looking forward to MK 10K though... will be a doddle in comparison.

Am seriously looking at upping mileage after these races. But I can quite categorically state that I will NEVER enter a full marathon........

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Sorry .. flying visit for now and will have a proper read back later ..

*waves* to everyone

I've been a busy boy this weekend. Did a 3ml run on my treadmill on Sat morning. Then after lunch, removed a load more branches from a conifer we've been demolishing bit by bit and filled up the green bin. Yesterday I decided what was left looked ugly so I took the rest of the branches off and sawed off the trunk at 6' (same level as fence). I was warmed up by the time I had finished that so I went out and cleared the snow off the paths and drive.

Will be off for a run with the club later - we'll be doing loops around town with three different return routes to choose from so no telling what distance I'll end up doing.

• WV Hahaha, as my mother used to say: "Never say Never!" image
  • .............................................. no, seriously, I think my poor old body would complain too much.....but yes, never say never.....
  • Afternoon all

W/V good luck with the race on Sunday  of course no one mines it not how far you run it just some of us are madder than others hope you get better soon you seem to have a nasty little b***er that seems determined to hang in there

Mel sounds like you been a busy boy next door had a conifer tree the thing must have been 30ft high the branches came almost half way across our garden they had that taken down it was surprising as to how much lighter the garden feels

Foxy Lady i don’t think 3 miles will do any harm at a nice slow place although with the way i rig my training by doing the LSR on a Friday i do get a 2 day rest before i go out again it’s great that you’re doing Brighton this year if it’s anything like the last 2 your really enjoy it

Jess great news about the band looks like there keeping you busy

Waves to everyone else

Must stop posting now or will never get that run done