GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Just stopped by to say I've been out again this afternoon. Did 4.5mls at 10:16 m/m pace so was happy with that. I'm obviously a bit fitter than I was - checked back and the last two runs on the same route took me a few minutes longer and included some walk breaks image

B&T - just to let you know I have de-activated my Strava account. I wasn't getting anything out of it that I can't already do on Fetch and wasn't interested in paying for a premium account.

• Well done with upping the speed WtnMel.

Toby - know the feeling - I'm committed to raising money for Cancer Research for the Royal Parks half. It's been a real slog to raise the £400 they want - almost putting me off doing a charity run again. 

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Em - the interesting thing is I'm not pushing the pace along or anything. I'm mainly interested in building up my run mileage at the moment. With my weekend LSR's I start off slower than usual and keep things very easy and controlled and try to keep very relaxed. But with these shorter weekday runs I set off slow-ish for the first mile then 'switch off' and run at what feels like a natural 'easy' pace. So it's satisfying to see that my 'natural' pace appears to be improving. Having seen myself do a mile in '9' something when I'm not trying too hard I'm going to try my 3.25ml town loop sometime soon and will push the pace along a bit more than usual to see what I can do. 

• Afternoon all

had a week off the running this week back to it next image

• ooh, WtnMel 9 something is good. I'm dipping into 9 but averaging 10.20 or so on my shorter runs. It's fun to see an improvement. I like playing with Garmin segments, seeing if I can get up the leaderboard a bit. I think I need to lose weight to really get my speed up, but I've enjoyed the novelty of eating what I want and staying the same for a few months, so have plateaued since June. Time to knuckle down now, though.

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Toby - hope you enjoyed the rest - back to it next week eh?

Em - it's been a long time since I ran at 9-something average pace for more than a mile. B&T and I did a '5K River Run' race in 2012 where I PB'd at 28:26. Will be nice if I can get back to that level of fitness and speed. I have been losing weight recently (lost 6lbs when I walked the coast to coast path) so I'm sure not lugging around the extra weight is helping. I'm afraid I gave up with Garmin Connect as well as Strava - just use Fetch nowadays and my own spreadsheet.

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Forgot to say I went out on Saturday and did 7mls. The rain was torrential and afterwards, my Garmin was playing up - the display was scrolling round the three screens I have set up and it wasn't responding to any buttons. Then it died completely. I took it apart to check inside but it appears to be terminal. I've had it around 10 years so have had my money's worth. May see about getting a replacement longer term and use something on the phone in the meantime.

Been out again this morning. Used the stopwatch on my old HTC phone to check the time afterwards and worked out the mileage (7.5mls) by plotting the route on Fetch.

• Afternoon all

13 miles for me Saturday with Poohbear and another 10 today had to break out the long running tights and rain coat for the first time for a while must say i struggled a bit back on afternoons as from today so hopefully it won't take me long to get back to my usually running routine

Melwhen my Garmin went i got in touch with Garmin i then sent my old watch to them and they then sent me a refurbished one cost me £58 something cheaper than buying a new one

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Toby - I've been wearing my rain jacket with the recent wet weather. Having said that, I did overheat on yesterday's run and could have done without it. But it was useful for carrying my old phone in the pocket. I had wondered about checking on Garmin website to see what it said about repairs etc. So I may follow that route instead - I'm all for getting the cheapest alternative! image

*waves* to anyone else who pops by ..

• waves back at Mel and everyone else!

Back from 2 weeks holiday. Really busy time in London, Liverpool, Lake District and then a week on a canal boat near Nottingham (yes - it does sound like I need a rest now!) Unfortunataly I didn't manage to run at all whilst I was away (apart from up & down the tow path opening & closing locks) and with Chippenham HM less than 2 weeks away I don't think I have time to rest now! I've mentally downgraded Chippenham to just getting round, and have entered Cricklade in October as a race to really target.

Sounds like there's been some great running going on. Mel - getting all speedy - good work! Toby putting in the miles again. Poohbear also getting speedy. Em speeding up and being pushed by her Garmin (actually I like the sound of a Garmin that could physically push me - would make those hills much easier) CW busy running cycling and swimming, Yvonne wallowing in the mud - I feel a bit lazy now!

Loft conversion is coming along - we now have stairs!!!! As the builders had to demolish a wall to get the staircase in we came back from holidays to an inch of fine dust covering the entire house - and that was after they'd covered everything with dust sheets and had swept / hoovered up. Repeat after me "it will all be worth it in the end!"

I staggered out for 3 miles on Sunday and ended up being chased by bulls. There was a thin wire of electric fence between us but I wasn't convinced it would stop them, so boy did I sprint. My Strava details have a very funny heart rate spike at just that point! 

• Good evening all,

Keep up the good work all and a sensible approach B&T about Chippenham half and yes it will be worth it. Well done to you all on some decent training and now the heat wave seems to be over it should all feel much more comfortable apart from the heavy rain.

So I know Crickaldee is popular amongst you all who is actually taking part and what date.

Been a busy few weeks had a few days in South Wales with friends, footy and a stay over at weekend, day out at Forest of Dean with an adventure on the go ape course so not much training but drum roll done my longest ever swim tonight still not a lot but huge improvement being made.
  • 6 miles yesterday off up to Newcastle for the GNR next Friday then a week off and then it's the Bristol H/M

i'm not doing Cricklade this year not shore of the date B&T  or Yvonne will Know

• Cricklade is 5th October, CW. Well done on the swim. I could do the running, with practice I could do the cycling but I don't think I'd ever manage more than about 100m swimming. 

Toby - didn'trealise GNR was so close - best of luck!

After a long day finally made it out for a run at 7.30 last night. The sun was already starting to set so it was race against the dusk. It felt much better than Sunday's run - 4.18 miles in 40:58 so I was very pleased with that - and I don't feel too bad this morning! I cracked and bought myself a new pair of shoes, I thought my current ones had a few more miles in them, but I think I wrecked them on the canal - I can't feel the support in my arches anymore. That will teach me to take my current pair 'just in case' I manage to go for a runimage

• Afternoon all

13 miles for me today banging in the mileage at the moment to try to lose some of the weight i put on last week

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

B&T - welcome back. Does sound like you need a holiday to get over the holiday. Glad to hear loft conversion is coming along. As for dust still there after they had 'cleaned up'. Well, if they were women builders .. Well done re 4ml run and hope you are able to 'wear in' new shoes quickly.

CW - glad to hear training is okay if a bit intermittent due to holiday. Well done re longest ever swim. 

Toby - good luck in advance for GNR

I would have entered Cricklade myself but my Ridgeway Run is the weekend after (12th Oct) and I'm not ready to try two races back to back. My recent training has been going well and with my LSR at 7.5ml last weekend, I'm going to try for 8 or 9 this coming weekend. 

I tried downloading Runtastic to use on my phone but found the Pro version is the one with the features you might want. Also, the adverts in the free version were irritating. Needless to say I wasn't prepared to pay for the pro version and have uninstalled it. I'll just stick to Fetch until I get a new Garmin.

I've entered the Bath Half 2015. I got a guaranteed entry at last year's price after having to cancel this year due to that calf injury. I've booked a room at the Premier Inn too .. hope that me and Mrs Wm can make a weekend of it like we have done in the past. Am hoping 2015 will be third time lucky for me - I'm sure the problems with cramp in 2010 & 2011 were linked to this year's calf problem. The Bath Half is unfinished business as far as I'm concerned and I want to see if I can do it justice and beat my previous times of around 2.5hrs

• I'm a little jealous of this cricklade half marathon talk, my own home towns run, and I can't do it this year cos I've got no holidays left to take and I'm working on that Sunday!!! I can't even cheer on as it starts after 10 o'clock !!! Gutted !! 

I'm having to save the last 4 days I do have for Christmas !! Still it will be a special Christmas (sorry for mentioning "that" word already) as I will have two beautiful grand children to coo over image 

Running is going well, training plan is being done today for sodbury slog , but I'm still doing a base week of 30 miles , and it's muddier now it's rained which I'm loving, my boys are in good shape.....I on the other hand have gone up to 9 stone 6lbs due to the boyfriend feeding my tummy full of chocolate, and ice cream !!! But hoping along with the base mileage of 30 miles plus extra three sessions of speed, hill and long run, I'll get down to running weight of 8 stone 12 lbs pretty quick , it's day two of reduce crap food intake, notice I didn't say total ban on crap food as I'll fail if I ban it , knowing I can have chocolate if I want makes me say no I don't want it !! 

Wtnmel go you with your speedy running, hoping your keeping up with your stretches to 

Toby, what can I say, super star runner as always enjoy gnr oh and can you put your link up for sponsorship please 

B&T good luck with your halfs, dead jealous me, and yes loft conversion will be worth it on the end ...

Still I'm on the lookout for runs that are close and on my Sundays off, have found one on Saturday 25th October in Swindon in a wood at 7 pm in the dark it's a 5 km but sounds fun, so I've pencilled that in and Toby and poohbear are joining me which will be nice, hopefully back to normal with the half marathons next year!!

Although I did enter London again so ballot results out soon I don't hold out hope but cos I said I wouldn't train over winter cos of impending grandchildren I'm betting I'm in , fingers crossed ....

Waves to every one else 

• Hi all,

Unfortunately can't do the 5th October, family stuff going on it was the day of a bike race that I was interested in.

Didn't realise that I'm not to far from your home town Yvonne..

Ran last two nights and things are settling down again for training just got my lads birthday on Monday to get through lots of things organised for the weekend. He becomes a teenager - wish me luck for the fun times ahead????
  • CW enjoy son's 13th birthday celebrations, I've just had last weekend full of my daughter's 18th birthday celebrations, I organised a surprise meal, there were 15 of us and she didn't have a clue, boy was it hard not to drop myself in it though, then on the Saturday she enjoyed the new series of Dr who ....

That makes 3 of us in the same area then as Wtnmel isn't too far from me either ...

• CW my son turned 13 in March, and despite much playing of the famous 'Kevin the teenager' sketch he has stayed mostly the same. A little less keen to get out of bed in the morning, maybe, but compared to his big sister he's still positively an early riser! Enjoy the day all of you image

Yvonne - I found that 5K 'spooky' race as well when I was searching through the events this week. I couldn't work out if the idea was that the runners were in fancy dress, or if there were going to be people hiding in the woods in fancy dress? If it was the latter I didn't fancy it (scardey pants here). Sounds like you all had a good time for your daughter's birthday, and I think this Christmas will be one to remember for a long time for your family image

Mel - glad your Ridgeway training is going well, and good that you're giving Bath another go. I did enjoy it, bu not sure if I'm ready to shell out again for it

3 miles in 30:04 minutes last night - I put a loaf of bread in the oven, set the timer for 30 minutes then set off on my 3 mile loop. Certainly helps you keep your pace going when you know you'll burn the bread if you slow down! Fortunately all went well and I got back to a lovely smell throughout the house ! Sadly my left knee is a little sore this morning, so I think I was right to believe I've ruined the support in my current trainers and I was right to get a new pair ordered!!

• Afternoon all

8 miles for me today with Snowmaiden took us 1hr 27mins so her trainings coming along nicely

Mel great to hear you’ve entered Bath next year I’m thinking about it but it will have to wait until next month to enter as have just had to pay out on the car and the surveyors

Yvonne some great mileage here’s the link

CW good luck with the party my son turns 21 this year and is off to Uni in a couple of week’s so our food bills going to come down quite a bit

B&T what a novel way of keeping yourself focused  mind you if it was apple pie in the oven i’d be running at double the pace

• Hi all went out Friday with Snowmaiden and did 8 miles we now need to increase her mileage up to 10 miles by the end of September and 13 by the end of October and 15 by the end of November

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Yvonne - shame you'll be working and can't do your hometown half image Glad to hear training is going well for Sodbury Slog. Nothing wrong with chocolate and 'crap' .. just not every day and not too much!

CW - didn't realise you were reasonably close to Cricklade. I'm just up the road (Cirencester) and B&T although not local, isn't too far away either. We (Yvonne, me, B&T, Toby) met up at the Swindon 10K last November - Toby drove up from Bristol. Yes, good luck with son becoming a teenager - although tbh, the problems don't go away - they just change. I remember back in the early days of this thread he would be referred to as HL1 (halfling a la LOTR and referring to thread title).

B&T - see you mentioned the 'spooky' Swindon 5k too. Tried finding it without success - can you let me know details please? I'll look after you and defend you from any demons or ghosts hiding in the trees!image Am liking this new motivational running technique of leaving something cooking in the oven before you set off. Though am sorry to hear it was bread - based on previous posts in this thread it should be cake! image

Toby - glad to hear training is going well and Snowmaiden's too. Hope car/surveyors aren't too expensive and you can afford to enter Bath Half too if you want to.

Been out and done 8.5mls this morning so distance still building nicely ready for the 10ml race in mid-October. Feeling really good about my running just lately - am back running regularly 3 times a week and when I think back to earlier this year when I couldn't run at all for three months, feel like I've come a long way. To put things into persepective, this month's total (55 miles) is more than I managed in the first 6 months of this year. Also - weighed myself this morning and have lost another pound this week. Have now reached the psychological milestone of 14st and haven't been this sort of weight since 2003!!

• Hi all.

Mel - good mileage and weight loss yes you should be feeling pleased, I see I'm 25 miles from Cirencester and 30 ish from Yvonne's.

Toby - as always good running from yourself and family are doing really well good luck to you for the great north next Sunday.

B&T - loving the idea of your speed sessions. If I can learn to swim I'm sure you can.

Bike ride yesterday and swam today didn't feel as good as the other day but managed an extra 4 lengths without a stop, so from only being able to a length at the start I'm well into double figures. Well chuffed with that and getting itchy about signing up for a half or a full next year. The original plan was half next year and full in 2016. Maybe be sensible for once.
  • Mel - 5K Run of terror here

• Hi all

The spooky 5k looks like fun - I wish I was a bit closer! Everyone seems to be getting on well with distance and speed - good luck Toby for the Great North Run

I'm feeling odd about not running today. I finally decided to take some time off and give my niggly (but more often than not painful) achilles a chance to heal. Not a clue how long it'll take, so I'll have to try a bit of cross training or cycling for a little while to see how it goes. I think it's a case of too much distance too soon.

• CW - yep, pleased with both. Strange feeling to have trousers feeling loose and needing to tighten belt!image Well done re increased swim lengths.

B&T - thanks for the link

Em - shame about achilles. You may remember my calf injury at the start of the year - was relieved to find out from physio it was my calf and not my achilles as I had thought. Still trying to remember to do stretches regularly including the one for the calf I didn't know about.

• So who is up for doing the spooky 5km in Swindon on the 25th October??? Any takers for the disco afterwards , could be our gulp annual night out image

• Been a long time since I've been asked to go to a disco yvonne????,

Stretching here as well.

First run tonight with insoles took it steady did a loop with many cut off points to make it shorter if needed but felt ok so ended up doing 7 1/2 miles. Pretty warm again.

Looking to upgrade wheels on bike, bloody to much choice and I've read and confused myself again????
  • Yvonne - Oooh - annual Gulp social event! With a disco!!! Probably just as well I'd have to drive myself home afterwards so couldn't partake at the bar image I'll check in my diary but I think I xcould be persuaded...

CW - way too much choice with cycling stuff. I thought running kit was bad, but cycling's in a whole different league. Well done on the run

Em - sensible decision to have a rest, but frustrating. I did it in January when a niggly pain didn't seem to be clearing up (it was, quite literally a pain in the backside). I took nearly 4 weeks off and it felt sooo  much better afterwards.

Mel - your running is brilliant at the moment - you'll be well ready for the race at this rate!

After wrecking my running shoes on holiday I could feel my shins and knees hurting after my first couple of runs back. I swiftly ordered some new shoes (old ones just felt like I'd broken the cushioning in the arches - just where I need it) and my 2 runs in them have been fantastic - no aches or pains at all. Unfortunately it means I've now missed the chance to do any long runs before Chippenham Half on Sunday, so I've decided not to run it. I may be being overly risk averse but it's just not worth injuring myself image Sigh!

• Very wise B&T I ran a half in cricklade in 2009 on minimal training and after the first mile, started to regret it it was only cos I was sponsored I carried on but it nearly wrecked my running career, scans on knee and tears in miniscus and a few months rest later, I learnt my lesson,      ALWAYS train!!!! Don't try and be clever!!