GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not posted for a few days - playing catch up.

Toby - see your hip was playing up a few days ago but sounds like it has sorted itself out. Sorry to read you got caught in a downpour and had to abandon run. BTW, I'm still in my shorts but the hi-viz jacket has begun to make an appearance.

CW - glad to hear multi (swim,bike,run) training still going well.

(Grandma) Yvonne - congrats on the birth of your grandson and sorry to hear about your daughter's troubles with the delivery. Glad everything worked out okay in the end.

B&T - glad to hear Cricklade HM went so well (had also seen FB update) and congrats on your new PB. Pleased to hear post-race soreness wasn't too bad.

*waves* to Em

Can't remember if I mentioned before but my replacement Forerunner 305 arrived only 5 days after posting off the broken one off to Garmin - great service.

Quick Fetchpoint update - caught my 5th and final Gore-rilla for October so can now relax knowing I am in the draw.

Did my last 10ml LSR last Saturday - was a bit wet and windy but hey, what's new? Got round in 1h 45m so was happy with that. Did my 3.25ml town loop route on Tue eve - may go out for another little jog-ette after work today but may not bother. Weather looks like it may be calming down for Sunday - may still get wet in a shower but fingers crossed it's stays dry (don't really fancy falling over in the mud again).

Talking of mud, mentioned to Mrs WM I was going to clean my running shoes as they were getting a bit grubby/niffy. She produced some trainer cleaner - you pop a sachet inside each shoe and put them in the washing machine. Was amazed to see them come out looking almost like new - and no lingering aroma either! image image

• I haven't been around for a while, work worries catching up with me.

Congrats to Yvonne on the birth of your grandson - glad mother and son are doing well after a difficult start

Well done on your new PB B&T. Times I can only dream of at the moment, I'm aiming at under 2:30 on Sunday if my ankles hold out.

*Waves* to WM and Toby image

I am in full putting my feet up and eating cake taper mode!

• Morning all

Did a gym session on Wednesday and 8 miles with Snowmaiden yesterday will do another 8 today as i have a sports massage booked for 1.30pm 

Poohbear bought me the gift vouchers for it as a birthday present back in June

And I’ve been saving it for when i felt i needed it and that time has come as legs feel really tight at the moment

• Well was going to do 8 today but I'ts not happing I've decided instead to do the Wii fit session i missed yesterday instead

so much for doing 18 to 22 on a Friday may wait now a couple of weeks until i don’t have something to do on a Friday and then start again

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Toby - enjoy (if that's the right word) your sports massage.

I had to pick up Mrs Wm from town yesterday so didn't run. So like Em I am in full "putting my feet up and eating cake while tapering" mode - except in my case it was fish & chips last night. I'm travelling up to Tring tomorrow afternoon and am having a meal with the family tomorrow evening (hellooooo rib-eye steak and chips). Probably not the best pre-race meal but then I'm not an aff-leet and it didn't seem to do any harm last year. I'll try and get on here on Sunday evening or Monday to let you know how I got on. The weather looks like it might stay dry and am secretly hoping to beat last year's time of 1h 48m and get myself a PB. Fingers crossed!! image

• ... mmm rib-eye steak... enjoy and good luck for your PB! image

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Thanks Em .. and good luck with your sub 2:30 quest on Sunday image

• Em and Mel -best of luck for tomorrow! Weather is looking okay so have a great run and enjoy! Em -my first half marathon took me around 2:37 image

Toby hope the massage went well and your legs feel looser.

Yvonne -if you get to read this I hope all is going well with your daughter and Grandson image

CW - hope all is going well with you. Cycling, swimming or running for you tomorrow? ( or a rest?!)

After last week's HM, I managed a very cold recovery run on Tuesday (creak creak creak!) But then I've not felt 100% so I've not been out again. I'll try and get out tomorrow, honest!
  • Morning all

no running for me for at least the next 3 days as we cleared the garage out yesterday and it’s going to take at least till Wednesday to get everything we’ve chucked out down to the tip it is amazing what you accumulate over the years and i have to say there was stuffing in there that we moved in with 11 years ago that’s never seen the light of day

• Toby - sounds like when we had to clear our loft out a few months ago so the building work could begin! I had stuff in boxes that had never been unpacked 9and we've been here 11 years now, like you) but more scarily I don't think it had ever been unpacked at our previous house either image Good luck with the tip trips - a good all body workout!

Em & Mel - hope your races went well today - looking forwar to hearing all about them!

Didn't run today after all, but did go out for a cycle ride with Mr B&T and son. It was a lovely ride, included lunch in the middle, but I just WISH I could manage a ride without falling off the darned bike (Ow!) Even worse - once again it was whilst stationary stopping at a junction.

I should really stick to running - I fall over MUCH less!

• Well, I managed 2.32. A bit annoying - but I went off way too fast as the 2.20 pace maker was just ahead of me at the start and I kept up with him for the first 6 miles - and then I didn't even see the 2.30 pace maker - he/she didn't overtake me.

The Royal Parks Half really is a beautiful race - lots of lovely things to see, well worth it - I had a fab time image

• Well done EM, sub 2.30 next time I'm sure.

Soz Mel if it was your race today thought it was next week, good luck or hope you've done well.

Toby - nothing like a move to chuck out unwanted stuff.

Had a rest day today B&T just cause we had a christening, otherwise swimming biking and running going all right, finally wrote myself a training program for over the winter to get a good base and easily get into 1/2 ironman races with little notice. Particular pleased with the swimming done 3 lots of 50 mins - 1 hr continual swims last week, trying to get into adult swimming classes but everything clashes with other stuff.

B&T - you really must try cleats never fallen off, got them set so I can easily get me feet out.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

B&T - see you've not been 100% - hope you're feeling better soon. Oh .. just read on and saw you fell off your bike again - ow!!

Toby - yes, 'stuff' has a habit of building up and it's a shock when you come to clear it. Guess if some stuff hasn't been seen for 11 years it needs to head for the tip!

Em - well done re HM result - does sound a nice race. My best time for a HM is 2:35 but that was with getting cramp - hoping to better that time next Mar at the Bath Half.

CW - glad to hear swimming coming along well (remember you saying that was weakest discipline?).

Well .. I managed a PB at today's Ridgeway Run .. got round the 9.7ml course in 1:43:02 (Garmin time so quicker than 'official' time). That was 5.5 mins quicker than last year and I reckon I can improve further given a good spell of training and staying injury-free. Race report to follow in a day or two ..

• Mel well done on the PB

B&T hope you didn't hurt yourself to badly

EM glade you enjoyed it

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

As promised, here's my race report. I seem to have wittered on a bit so sorry it's so long!

Tring Ridgeway Run 2014 (Part One)

As I sat having my breakfast porridge at the hotel, the mists were slowly clearing and I could see Incombe Hole in the distance, part of the route I would be running a bit later. Breakfast over, I collected my gear and made my way to Tring Park Cricket Club where the race is based. Arriving early (8:50am) I nabbed a good parking spot. Wandered over to race control to pick up my number – a very efficient setup and I was on my way back to the car within a minute or two. The weather was warming up a bit and there was no rain forecast – so decided to go with shorts and t-shirt and hope I would be warm enough. Did a bit of stretching, pinned my number on, paid a call of nature (toilet queues weren’t too bad) then it was time to ditch the fleece and to walk to the start in Marshcroft Lane, jogging and jumping around a bit as I did so to try and warm up a bit.

I positioned myself towards the back of the group and at 10:00am on the dot the race started.  I settled in to my own rhythm and ignored various people running past me. The first mile is flat and my split was 10:45. You cross a road and follow some narrow footpaths through woods – there was a hold-up ahead and we had to walk. There’s also a small climb to negotiate - I passed a few people who were already walking who I had seen run past me at the start. Checked my watch – mile 2 split was 11:33. You emerge from the woods, run alongside a golf course, cross a road and run through a farmyard and then the track ahead begins the first big climb. I ran about halfway up but then (like everyone around me) when it got to the steep section, decided to walk. I started running again towards the top when it flattened out – saw my family here for the first time and waved for photos. Checked my watch again – mile 3 split was 12:20 and although I was breathing hard I felt fine. The 4th and 5th miles are on a broad track along the ridge through Ashridge  - I settled back into my rhythm and was passing a few people and my splits were 10:42 & 10:47.

Shortly after the 5 ml point you follow a footpath then make a sharp turn at the top of Incombe Hole – this is steep at the top but flattens out gradually. I let gravity take over and felt great as we approached the 6ml point. Another check of the watch – pleased to see 10:19 being displayed. We crossed the road and I prepared myself for the next climb. Saw my family again here and waved for more photos. I was walking up Pitstone Hill when I saw my sister at the top taking photos – felt duty bound to start running again. By now we were running on the Ridgeway Path itself and there are rabbit holes, tree roots, steps and ramblers to keep an eye out for. My mile 7 split was 11:40 because of the earlier walk break and the terrain. I still felt good as we emerged from the woods, and followed the paths down to cross the road and start re-tracing our steps back along Marshcroft Lane. A group of 3 or 4 women behind me had thanked me for towing them along the last two miles through the woods and overtook me at this point –cheeky buggers! I tried to stay with them – checked my watch at mile 8 and the split was 10:20 so was pleased with that.

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Tring Ridgeway Run 2014 (Part Two)

I was starting to feel tired but knew I had the chance to post a good time so kept pushing along and trying to keep up with the ‘cheeky girls’ who by now were disappearing into the distance. In the last mile I found myself running along with two other guys and we were swapping places all the time. I had started trying to speed up but they were doing the same and overtaking me. So I stayed behind them as we approached the finish together and readied myself. Crossing the road with 50yds to go, the marshal said “There’s a finish line just through that gate – come on, let’s see you go for it!”. We were running abreast by now and I was in the middle. As we ran through the gate I took my chance and set off between them hoping to catch them unawares. One guy fell behind but the other came alongside me. I pushed again and he did the same and I sensed him coming past me again. With a final effort I got ahead of him and beat him to the line. We were all smiles afterwards and agreed there’s nothing quite like a sprint finish. I had remembered to stop my Garmin as I crossed the line and was delighted to see a new PB of 1:43:02 (5.5 mins quicker than last year). Checking afterwards my split for the 9th mile was 09:55 and 09:15 for the last 0.7 of a mile.

I collected my technical t-shirt – this year it’s bright yellow and will be great for Winter training – then met up with my family to re-live the race and be told I had been looking good at 3mls, 6mls and especially in my sprint finish. Some more photos and they wanted to know if I’ll be back again next year. I certainly plan to be there - I think I can improve some more, especially on the hilly sections. And if I can get faster on the flat sections there’s less chance of being held up in the first few miles. 

• Great race report Mel! (I've only just written up mine for Cricklade image) Loved your sprint finish (I remember being passd by you at Corsham within sight of the line!)  

What I think is so important, and that comes with doing races, is the ability to run to your own pace and ignore people dashing past you at the start. The joy of catching these people up and overtaking them isn't to be underestimated!

Em - really well done on your race. So close to 2;30, but now you know what a HM feels like and can build on that time for next time image I bet it was a busy race - you'd certainly get a better time on a less crowded course. Glad you enjoyed it though.

CW well done on the swimming! I've realised the problem with faling off the bike is when I come to a stop (at a junction for instance). My left foot comes out of the straps okay, ready to put on the ground, but as my saddle is now higher I have to get my backside off the saddle in order to put my foot on the floor. As I'm putting my weight onto my right foot to push myself up, I'mover balancing just a fraction to the right, which is enough to make me topple over that side. Now I've worked out what's causing it hopefully i can do something different!

Toby - not too badly hurt at all - just matching bumps on my hip, elbow and knee and a huge dent to my pride image

My son had to do cross country running at school this morning, so to encourage him I said I'd run as well (not at school, obviously!). So, 6 wet and windy miles were done this morning by me - I've not heard how he got on yet!

• Great report Mel good determination at the end.

Hopefully no more falling off B&T, how did your son get on?

Swam tonight around 70 - 80 lengths, could of kept on. Would like to shave around 5 secs off a length that will come though with more practice.
  • well may be able to get out for a run tomorrow after all it took 3 trips but i managed to clear all the rubbish yesterday mind you i think the wet weather help as there wasn’t the usual  3 mile queue  of cars i was expecting  waiting to get in to the tip

mind you It’s going to depend what time as to whether i get it in as i have a dentist appointment 12.30

Mel loved the reportimage

• CW - son was very pleased - he came 32nd out of 70. It was disgusting weather when they ran (worse than when I went out) but he said he only walked for a little bit and even managed a sprint finish. Several of the kids who've bullied him in the past cut some corners and got disqualified - so he was delighted to have done so much better than them! Great swim stamina BTW!

Toby - well done on clearing the rubbish. Not much fun in the rain, but as you say at least the tip would be empty!

Mel & Em - how are you both feeling after your races?

I trotted out for a really wet 3 miles this morning. It's the first time for months I've actually stepped out in such heavy rain - it's much worse than it starting to rain when you're already out there. My new trainers are now officially not clean any more after I underestimated quite how muddy the bottom path would be (ankle deep!) Still, should be good practice for the series of races I've entered around Bath - all around 10K but off road hilly & muddy. The Bath 'Skyline' races http://www.relishrunningraces.com/bath-skyline-10km.php  Great medals though! 

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

B&T - I remember sprinting the last 1k at Corsham - think I have a "both feet off the ground" photo from there. Well done to son for cross country result. Sounds like you may have worked out the cause of the falling off your bike (not the wine then?)image

CW - 70-80 lengths is good going, especially if you felt you could do more.

Toby - glad to hear you've worked your way through the rubbish and it's all been taken to the tip.

*waves* to Em

Glad you enjoyed my race report. I've done a 3ml treadmill run at 10:50mm pace tonight and pleased to report legs still seem to work! image In races I always seem to start steadily and gradually speed up - normally end up doing a negative split and passing people (which is a great feeling).

• must get out for run today i could of got out yesterday but over slept but could have still fitted a small run in before dentist appointment but took one look out the window at all that rain and chickened out

• Hi all,

B&T - great that your lad had a giggle at the expense of bullies I absolutely hate that behaviour.

Well done on the run and legs being ok Mel.

Toby - don't blame you having a chicken day.

After Mondays swim did an hour bike ride followed by a 5 mile run Tuesday, around a mile swim tonight. Been watching all the YouTube videos about swimming, it seems so technical but I'm learning. Gives me enough to think about so boredom of the pool doesn't kick in.
  • morning all

well got out for a run yesterday did 10 miles rain was very kind and held of so a nice dry run for meimage

• Hello everyone

Thanks for the encouragement B&T - I've learned some lessons for half marathon preparation, hopefully will be better next time.

Sounds like the swimming is going well CW. It can get a little dull without technique to think about or targets to beat.

Well done for missing the rain Toby, it chucked it down here all day and night, in fact for most of the week  - I had to get my OH to walk the dog anyway because my legs just would not work and have only just done a recovery run today - it was terrible, both legs like lead, just hope it does some good and I can do a proper run on Saturday.

Great race report Mel - liking the cheeky photo opportunities! Jon trotted back and forth across Hyde Park trying to see and wave at me, but missed me by a minute or two each time!

• haven't run since last Wednesday as my hip was playing up and i decided to rest it must start again tomorrow though having said that i may well have to tone down my ambitious training regime as things at work have now got busier and were working long hours

and the 3:30 targets now looking doubtful  i seem to have lost my running mojo at the moment oh well it’s not the first time this has happened and dare say it won’t be the last

• morning all

10 miles for me this morning going to bulid the mile back up slowly over the next couple of weeks

• How's your hip., now Toby? Hopefully okay if you did 10 miles!

Em & Mel - hope you're all well recovered now

Waves to CW & Yvonne and anyone else popping in.

I made it out for a 4.5 mile muddy and hilly loop today. It was wondeful (but very hard work!). I came home with the first muddy legs of the seaon!