Falling in love with a treadmill

2»

Comments

• Ah ... poor choice of words. My bad. I enjoy my running and I'm certainly passionate about it. I could sit here and argue semantics but that would be a waste of my running time.
  • I too enjoy speedwork/hills on the treadmill

500m @ 10% incline, brisk walk 5.5- 6kph

500m @ 5% incline run 9-10kph

500m @ 12% incline brisk walk 5-5,5kph

500m @ 1% incline run 12kph

or

5k tempo run

or a pyramid session

• Or you could look up the meaning of it first... then come back and use it correctly.
  • Paul Farquharson wrote (see)
    Or you could look up the meaning of it first... then come back and use it correctly.
    what side of the bed did you get out of today? image
  • Just not a huge fan of antagonistic/sarcastic posts that combine attacks on other peoples comments with a "non-commital" attitude. You either want a fight or you don't. If you don't want a fight, don't make stupid comments.

Anyone who makes them should be prepare to be challenged.

And no, nothing so far has been directed your way, you're one of the people on here I regularly read and respect.

• TheraThera ✭✭✭
    Merry Valley Runner - the speedwork/hills info that you posted looks good. I too have a treadmill and need to make better use of it.
  • You are all making me miss the gym.  I generally don't go to the gym for many reasons but when i'm there i find it hard not to spend all my time on the treadie - I can easily do an hour - i love it.

Having said that I run outside 4 - 5 times a week in all weathers.

To get back to the initial question I'm not at all surprised about good results from treadmill training.  I like hills but outside it is all too easy to slow up on a tough one BUT on the treadmill unless you hit the stop button you have to keep going.  I like setting it on random and getting a mixed bag, varying the hills and the speed.

Also as I am quite 'aged' I never do speed work when i am pottering around the lanes but on a treadie I set myself bursts of sprinting with short recovery times inbetween.

I would really love to have a treadie at home but a) where to put it - sitting room next to the sofa (my partner would love that - heavy sarcasm here) and b) presumably one worth having must cost a fair bit.

SOOO I must go back to the gym - thanks for posting this thread Dodge.

p.s.  I am very serious about my running - it occupies some thought every day of my life and I wouldn't be without it

• I find it far to easy to hit the sto buttin on a tread mill, or i find myself staring at the clock and wondering how I've only been going for 3 mins. I only really use them form speed work (and from reading this think I will use the TM more for hill work too) but I can't bring myself to do a long run on it. That said when I was purely running in gyms my times were better so perhaps I need to get back on it more. I guess it all dpends what you run for and what works for you.
  • TheraThera ✭✭✭
    I did 10 miles on my treadie on Monday and used the time to think about what I still need to do to get ready for Christmas. I know I need to do more work on the hills, which I will start tomorrow as I am doing a tempo run today.
  • I like it for speedwork too  because I know i'm holding the fast pace consistently during the sprints, whereas outside I find im tempted to slow down a bit more because there's nothing to stop me. So I'll do those treadmill speedwork sessions 2-3 times a month and other than that, i only resort to treadmill runs if its cold, dark, AND raining outside. two out of three of those conditions and i'll still go out just to avoid clockwatching on the treadmill!
  • ive only used a TM once and i found it a bit odd. didnt feel at all comfortable.

any idea how long on average it takes to become accustomed to them as i quite fancy the odd session given that i walk passed them everytime i go for a run during work hours (i use my gym as a large and glorified changing facility)

would quite like to watch tv whilst doing a quick 10k.

• TheraThera ✭✭✭
    It does take imte to get used to a treadmill as it feels very different to run on. If you start doing a few treadie sessions on a regular basis you'll get used to it quickly. I find it easier on the knees than running on a road.
  • thanks Thera,

i will definitely give it a go as cant see me being able to run 5x per week without getting some soreness in the knees.

will also break the monotony a bit and offer a good excuse to run inside when winter arrives (jan/feb)

cheers

• TheraThera ✭✭✭
    good luck Genzo...
  • interesting thread. I run 3 of my sessions a week on the treadmill (up to about an hour) and  do my long runs outdoors. I also find I run naturally faster outside than on the treadmill. I have had periods where I have done only one or the other but overall have found  that doing both and controlling my speed on the treadmill is the only way i seem to improve my times overall outside so it works for me.

One big plus for me is mentallly I think, it it tempting at times to give in on the treadmill if all it takes is to step off it and I agree it can be so damn boring at times but this is where I find it beneficial. I think of each time I am tempted to stop as a little mental war that I must win and this definately helps develop mental strength for the marathon when the mind games begin. image

• I went to the gym on sunday on the strength of this thread and did  8miles on the treadmill - loved it.  I also worked so much harder than I ever do outside.

I want one at home but two problems - where on earth would I put it and I read the runners world review which states that basically any worth having start at £1000.  hmm - I don't think so somehow.

sigh

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

I use a treadmill for a couple of reasons, firstly because I am a member of a gym, secondly when the weather is awful and thirdly to have a slightly less stessful run on my joints! It is also a way to monitor progress.

I do find it tedious, sweaty and do not like the physiological running experience on a treadmill. The enjoyment of running is about getting outside and also the solitude of it, not sweating in a gym in front of loads of other people! But it is a necessary evil. I find it a touch harder on a treadmill and cannot get on with any speedwork,  I normally run one paced, it seems too dificult to switch speeds, plus the treadmill I use is too slow for speed sessions.

• TheraThera ✭✭✭

Marty B: Wow...'too slow for speed sessions'...? What speed do you run at? My treadmill goes up to 20kph. My speed sessions don't take me anywhere near that...impossible for me!

Does your gym have different ypes of treadmill so that maybe you could use a different one for your speed sessions? It may be boring but at least it is a handy alternative when you can't get outdoors.

Flipperjane: I have my treadie in the garage, which works well as it does not get too hot or cold. I can't even hear the phone...bliss! There shoudl be plenty of second hand treadies out there that will cost a lot less than £1000.

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

No Thera, ours stop at 16.5kph, probably for health and safety reasons. I run single paced starting at 13.5 up to 15 kph most times, so there is not much chance to speed up for intervals. It is fine for single paced running, but it probably can get a bit risky running on empty at full speed!

I am trying to get my 10K times down and need to do intervals outside, I think treadmill running alone will lead to stagnation.

• Hi all

Flipperjane - I read that review and thought it wrong really. I bought a Horizon Treadmill 6 years ago for £600. I have constantly done 20 mile per week on it with my remainding milage done outside. The motor has a lifetime guarentee and so does the frame. It's never given me any trouble at all. The latest ones all have advanced programmes and are still selling new for around £600. I know it's a lot of money but to me it's the best sports equipment I have ever bought. Best in the garage though if you have one as they are seriousley heavy.

• Thanks for that mobthePlod.  Absolutely no room in the garage, wonky floor too, very rough and uneven.  I so much want to get one but just can't figure out where to fit it.
  • TheraThera ✭✭✭

Marty B - impressive speed! I guess the running outside will also help with the racing as they are outside too. You're right...treadmill training can get monotonous. As soon as the weather gets better (and my asthma improves) I will be running outside more as well.

mobThePlod - I agree...I have had my treadmill for two years (Lifefitness) and bought it when it was about 9months old

• TheraThera ✭✭✭
    Have you got a shed in the garden? It may work...
  • Hi Thera, Lifefitness are really good - I was trying to justify getting a new treddie as I would like one with programs etc - mines fairly basic in that I have to press buttons for the incline. Next time I would definitely look at second hand as I think there are so many bought that are never used (like most sports equipment), me thinks there could be real bargains to be had. I noticed you've done 2 hours on yours in one stint, most I've done is 1.5 hours, it's no problem to me as I find it very medatative, sometimes listen to a footy game whilst I plod and time just goes so quickly. Mind you I tend to do more runs outside now as I find the tready far easier - need to balance the two up.

Flipperjane - sorry about your wonkey floor, I guess getting it screed would just add to the cost. 

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Thera, thanks, I feel guilty for exagerating now since I did a 10K jog at 13.4 kph last night, less than my usual speed. I am getting over man flu and the treadmill is a safe way of getting back into running after an illness, it helps your monitor progress. Actually it was one of me better runs indoors, I was so relieved to be running after a week off. I think the biggest turn off for me is the heat factor when using a treadmill, I will be in a right state after 10k indoors but will be fine outdoors, well at this time of the year anyway!
  • ive just used a tm properly for the 1st time and i found it ok. am assuming injury will take its toll at some point in my flm training so thought it best to get my bearings.

i am pro treadmill but not yet in love with one.

i have to say that a 45min 10k is not a jog Marty. 7.5 min/miles arent jogging for anyone. it is hot though, i'll grant you that.

• My treaddie is in the sitting room. The running surface lifts up and is cliipped into place so it takes up hardly any room at all. Lots of them fold up. it is motorized and all so it is a fine one , and didn't cost more than €700 . watch out for the sales after xmas
  • Interesting thread. I've just started running on the treadmill again, after about a year off. I use it for speedwork and intervals, despite also going to my club's speedwork night. There's something exhilarating about cranking up the speed on a treadmill. It's more rewarding than running outside, in that sense, because the display tells you your exact speed.

Also, I've found that I've lost the ability to 'sense' my pace in races; thinking this might be because I've stopped using the treadmill, so also trying to rectify this.

Would never use it for a long run though (I'd go cycling insteadimage). I'd fall asleep!

Currently undecided whether to do a 4 mile recovery run on the tm this avo. On the plus side, as a poster above mentioned, it'll allow me to monitor my speed and keep it slow. However, that may also induce severe boredom. Although I would quite like to use the bikes in the gym as well....

They definitely have their uses (although I'm not yet in love...)