Options

Calling Dentists!!

Eating breakfast!

One of the molars, top right. It had been filled for years, and now half the front portion is sitting on my desk. Any ideas how much I'll be looking at to get it fixed? If I can't afford it, would the be any problems getting the tooth taken out in the chair? (I've had a wisdom tooth out before)

Just like to prepare myself before visiting the surgery this morning! And what's the likelihood of getting it fixed before next Tuesday?

Comments

• Options
    Chew some gum and then stick it back in with it Kwilter
  • Options
    B did suggest superglue!
  • Options

Hard luck Kwilter - from my experience my dentist costs £70 just to walk through the door image!!  Unfortunately though, because I live quite remotely there are only 2 practise's within a 70 mile radius and they are both private so I have no choice!

As to getting it removed - generally dentists will do anything to save a tooth but about 2 years ago I had a hole in my tooth which the dentist identified.  Apparently, it needed "bridging" - I didn't know there was a hole (no pain, infection etc) let alone that it needing "bridging" - at a cost of over £200.  It would cost £80 to remove it so as it was right at the back and I didn't feel I'd miss it I decided to have it removed. It wasn't painful but was traumatic.........after about 20mins of dentist virtually with his foot on my chest trying to lever the offending tooth out he stopped........then disappeared out of the room muttering "I'll just go and get the big man from downstairs......."  It wasn't a pleasant experience and quite funny on reflection - the dentist was the skinnyest most weak looking bloke I've ever seen and I never knew how long molars roots are! 

My dentist does allow you to pay monthly - but you're not kidding - it ain't cheap!!

• Options

A few months back I chewed a nice chewy mint and had half a tooth come off. Lower jaw molar, more filling than tooth. Not in pain but the tooth needed fixing. Dentist saw me next morning, did some drilling and fitted a temporary crown. Properly crowned tooth a couple of weeks later. Can't remember the exact cost but somewhere between £350 and £400. I couldn't help thinking what would happen if I couldn't afford that kind of money. And where NHS dentistry went.

Anyway, hope this helps. I'm in Reading, probs a bit pricier than Plymouth.

• Options
    I fell on the pavement after a few bottles of wine and broke my tooth in half (don't ask!).  I managed to get into the dentist for a consultation then had to wait a few weeks for the actual 'fixing'.  That said I was amazed by the fixing, relatively simple and cheap in the end for what was almost half a tooth.  Not sure what he used but it's lasted for a few years and was around 30GBP.  I guess it depends how much of the tooth is missing and how serious.  Good luck!  Before next tuesday though..... ;-0
  • Options

Oh poor you!

NHS treatment falls into 3 bands - £12 for check -up x-rays and scale, £39 for any fillings or extractions whether you need 1 or 10! and £177 for any crown bridge work or dentures, again regardless of how many you need.

If your dentist is private, prices can vary quite a bit.

Upper wisdom teeth are usually easier to extract than lowers, however it depends how broken down the tooth is.

Hope you get on ok. Good luck!!

• Options
    How much do dentists charge?  Just take a look at Crashie's 14 bedroom mansion with swimming pool, gym, stables and servant's quarters.  That should tell you everything you need to know.
  • Options
    Thanks all. I was at the surgery before the dentist arrived (very nice car BTW) They can see me on Thurday, but can't give me much idea on costs until he's assessed it image
  • Options

Sounds like root canal work to remove the tooth! 

I was 'in the chair' for two and 1/2 hours.  New crown fitted after having a tempoary one for 3 weeks and  £250.00 later!  image  And that was on the NHS!!!  Bliddy good dentist though!  Didn't feel a thing, apart from when the cheque book was opened!  image

• Options

No it wasn't, Prince S!

(a dentist writes from his 14 bedroom mansion etc etc image)

NHS prices are currently as follows (give or take pence)

Band 1 (check up, scale and polish, x rays) £16.20
    Band 2 (fillings, root fillings, extractions) £44.60
    Band 3 (crowns, bridges, dentures) £198

You pay for the highest band only (ie band 3 includes any band 1 or 2 treatments)

teeth often break, usually as a result of mechanical failure where they've been weakened by a filling in the past.

Minor breaks can be filled. More serious breaks need crowns. Sometimes the break has occurred because the nerve has died and the tooth is brittle or the break is severe enough to involve the nerve chamber. these need a root filling before a crown. Rarely, the tooth may split straight down the middle and need to be extracted.

Hope  that helps a bit image

• Options
    (private crowns...about £250-500, depending on your dentist...)
  • Options
    I had a repair done a couple of years ago NHS in Reading [Crockhamwell rd Muttley] £40. Lasted about a month. Got it done again in Spain for €70 [£50] Not a problem since and only sat in waiting room for 10min. Pity I didn't have insurance image  He would have got me part of my money back.
  • Options
    Clearly NHS derntal treatment is cheaper in Wales than in England!
  • Options

Yep, I think it might be...

English Parliament, anyone? image

• Options

Sorry to sort of hijack the thread, but I've got to have my first ever filling on Thursday.

Basically it's on a wisdom tooth, I can pay £30 extra to have it white instead of silver, is it worth paying the extra? Will it be noticeable?

• Options
    Well if you have teeth like a hippo then I would deffo go for white cos metal will show up a mile away.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

It will depend on where the filling is on the tooth, and how large, as to how noticable it will be.   

I gradually getting my metal fillings replaced with white ones, as they need doing. 

• Options

Jimo, get the dentist to show you where the filling is while you look in a mirror, then assess whether or not it'll show.

• Options

Well I would say I have teeth like a gopher rather than a hippo.

I don't think it'll be that big, the dentist says he won't fully know until he starts.

That's a good idea Crash Hamster, the dentist actually did advise that a silver should be fine.

Cheers peeps!

• Options
    Thanks for the extra info Crashie. Do dentists takle small children in part exchange?
  • Options

Sorry if this has been mentioned before...but did you do it eating a perticular product?  The firm I work for frequently pay dental fees for people who claim to have broken a tooth/filling while eating one of our products- no quibbles

• Options
    AH Damned fine point Mr Puffy. Could well be worth a phone call to the cereal manufacturer concerned.
  • Options
    email sent. Wait to hear their reply now.
  • Options
    OK went to the dentist, had to have a new filling, plus 1 1/2 hours off work to get to and from the appointment. Total cost around £55. Cereal company have credited me 5000 card points = about £25. Do I take it or should I hold out for more?
  • Options

Claims direct K

Heheheheeeheheh

• Options
    Was it really their fault your dodgey tooth gave out?  imageimageimageimage 
  • Options
    OI PS! I was eating their dodgy cereal when it broke. The 500g of sugared almonds I scoffed during the weekend had nothing to do with it image
  • Options

Take the deal...I'm always surprised that they pay out for teeth broken on cereal (lumps of rock in it is a different story)...the damage is often done to a tooth days or weeks before the actual break; it's the 'straws and camels backs' principle.

If I'd broken a tooth, I'd blame the cereal it snapped on; if I was a cereal manufacturer, I'd claim it failed due to years of wear and tear and that our cereal just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...

...impossible to prove either way... image

• Options
    So I shouldn't ask for some flowers as well is what you're saying Crashie? image
  • Options
    Rearrange that post until it becomes English and grammatical. Think of it as an extra Zahada level