Centre Parcs - which one?

Mrs M and I are looking at going to a Centre Parcs place for our holiday with mini M this year.  It will be in March-Aprilish and mini M will be 2 and a couple of months.  I am tending towards Sherwood Forest but I thought I'd throw it open to the forum for some thoughts..............

Comments

• I thought they were all the same?
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭

I've been to Sherwood and Elvedon and one in France near Evreux.  They were all pretty similar. 

I think the one in Elvedon had a bigger lake if you fancied sailing.  Sherwood had a little one that I kayaked round twice in about five minutes.  Sherwood also had a big slide that I hadn't seen at any others, but there was a half-hour wait so didn't bother.  Apart from that the attractions were all pretty similar. 

The one in France was much cheaper than the UK and had a nice golf course, so I was told.  There were some good runs round there too once you got out of the park itself and went into the country.

I've heard that the one in Longleat is hillier, which may be a consideration if you are cycling round with small kids.

Kind of enjoyed all of them but it always strikes me as a shockingly expensive way to go swimming.  I also find the food and service are pretty average in the restaurants, although Sherwood was better for that too.  The thing I like most is getting a little fire going in the chalet's fireplace; that was the best bit.

• I stayed in the Whinfell Forest one up in the lake district a couple of years ago, chose this one because on the site it said that it was the main centre parcs, therefore had the best facilities etc, i wasnt disapointed, went just the missus and me and it was great. completely covered by trees so if it was raining we didnt know, only a short drive to the nearest town Penrith and about 30 mins to an hours drive to Carlisle as well.

You can normally get discount codes on the centreparcs site as well for money off so always worth a look.

The swimming pool was great as well, a few slides as well for the kids in all of us

• Jay Snizzel wrote (see)

I stayed in the Whinfell Forest one up in the lake district a couple of years ago, chose this one because on the site it said that it was the main centre parcs, therefore had the best facilities etc, i wasnt disapointed

My sister stayed there last year. She quite enjoyed it but thought it was quite a long trek from her chalet to the nearest restaurant etc. I guess she was just unlucky as obviously others were much nearer.

Personally I'd begrudge paying fairly hefty prices and then being expected to find extra for just about any activity other than swimming.

• Longleat is a nice one
  • We used to go every year when the kids were small.  Started with Elveden when they were on trikes, and when they moved up on to bigger bikes we tried Longleat and liked it.

I find Centerparcs relaxing, but hubby thinks after our 10th time, he's done it enough.  Kids completley love it though, even the 15 year old, and we would take the dog.

It works out expensive for a week in the school holidays, and we had such bad weather last time, we promised ourselves we would consider Spain.  Prefer Centerparcs to Eurocamp in France though - Never again!

Take your bikes.  The price they charge for rental is huge.

• its as expensive as you want it to be, i mean you'll have all the facilities in your challet/appartment to cook your own tea everynight, i think we ate out 2 of the 4 nights we were there, the other nights we just cooked in the room.

it is nice and relaxing though, no cars allowed by the accomodation, unless its the few hours you're allowed when unpacking and packing.

Me and the missus and the 2 little'uns will be going again next year i reckon, though that will be outside school holidays, as someone mentioned above it is expensive during half terms etc.

• Out of the 'south' ones, I prefer Longleat.

Would like to try the one in Cumbria cause I think it's got more to offer.

• Cheers guys, all interesting stuff.  We've heard so much good stuff about Centre Parcs when you have a youngster that we are definitely going to give one of them a go - not in school holidays though.
  • We've been to Longleat and Sherwood Forest and I think they're both pretty good.  Its an expensive weekend, but the atmosphere is lovely, especially with small kids, so it makes it well worthwhile.

I'd definately second taking bikes, if you have them.  They are silly money to hire there.  Also be careful while out walking - though you'd have though that, with minimal traffic on site, it'd be really nice and safe, in reality it's full of people who haven't ridden a bike in 20 years.  Amazing how quickly you lose the ability to react safely.

• If you are actually a Manx muppet, then why not fly into Blackpool and go to Ribby Hall.

All the really fun stuff there is to do at Centre Parcs is really for older kids.  So all you really need is

a) soft play

b) swimming

c) Beaver Creek

http://www.ribbyhall.co.uk/

If you are a Manx in exile, then go to Longleat as you get the benefit of the safari park.

• Bloke at work goes every other  weekend.  Seriously he's stopped telling us now as we take the piss so much.  In all honesty he's been at least 6 times this year, sometimes for weekends, but also does a couple of week long trips.  I'll ask tomorrow.
  • To Ribby Hall D74?  It was ideal for us as its only 45 mins away so if my mum needed me or if Mr Farnie needed to go back to hospital (which was often an emergency) it was perfect.  And there are a couple of nice places for Mr Farnie to fish, as he is in an aircast, there is not much for him to do at Centre Parcs these days.

• He doesn't have a favourite, he moves between all of them.  Allegedly he likes the variety???????image

I get my cast off tomorrow and I assume an aircast in it's place.  Hope Mr Farnie is on the mend too.

• Cheers Farnie, I've just requested a brochure.  We are indeed coming from the good ol' Isle of Man.
  • Elvenden has High Lodge forest centre, great for running and cycling (GoApe too!), Snetterton race circuit just up the A11 and then Norwich ............. just don't use your sat nav to get there from the south, at least if you do take notice at Fiveways (Barton Mills) ............ the number of people we get pulling into RAF Lakenheath asking if it's Center Parcs is unreal! ............ they're asking armed guards with F15's screaming overhead!!! image
  • Tee hee - security at cp is clearly higher than it used to be ! I have been to them all apart from elveden and there really isnt much to choose between them - go to the cheapest one ? Nice relaxing time there - unload the car and its nice to walk or bike everywhere.
  • Right, the man that knows, he says - whichever is cheaper.  They are all the same.  The only thing he suggested was that if you have little kids and are likely to be cycling, then the lakes one is a bit hillier, and so may be a bit of a struggle.  Mansfield (ahem, sorry, Sherwood Pines) is flatter and so easier. 

The Mansfield is a bit more 'village' like, the lakes is more of a single complex with everything in the bubble. 

• I said that too !

Oh Longleat - thats really hilly - there are some hills that you arent allowed to ride. Like I paid attention.

Have got some great video footage of bike chases round CP - video camera wrapped in a towel and strapped onto the luggage rack on the bike - who needs fancy technology ?
  • I've been to Sherwood twice now and it's a great holiday - there me and the wife, our kids (5 and 3), and my brother and sister and their spouses (spice?!) in an 8-berth chalet.

We'll be going to Elveden next year, as it works a little better for everyone to travel to.

My wife and sister have been to Longleat and reckon the rapids there are better, but it's more spread out (although there is a little road train to get you around).

And I think Longleat is more covered in the centre than Sherwood.

But they're all probably equal unless there's one specific feature you value.

• Oh if theres any activity that you really want to do - its prob best to book in advance - you can do it online - if you wait til you get there - then its probably full.
  • billukbilluk ✭✭✭

Check the CenterParcs web site for offers. We booked for Longleat in May (to go in June) last year and got 20% the accommodation price.

First time and really enjoyed it. It was a bit hilly but they do run a land train as well.

• and have your swimming gear handy when you arrive, so you've got something to do before you're allowed in to the chalet.
  • Oh and you can stay in the pool on the day you go as well - give you a bit extra time if you're in no rush to get home.
  • D74 wrote (see)

Right, the man that knows, he says - whichever is cheaper.  They are all the same.  The only thing he suggested was that if you have little kids and are likely to be cycling, then the lakes one is a bit hillier, and so may be a bit of a struggle.  Mansfield (ahem, sorry, Sherwood Pines) is flatter and so easier. 

The Mansfield is a bit more 'village' like, the lakes is more of a single complex with everything in the bubble. 

If you listen to Mr 74 and come to Mansfield you are about 8 miles out, Sherwood Pines is about 2 miles away by car, I think you can access it directly on the bike though. Edwinstowe is a similar distance.

I've lost count of the number of times I get asked for directions to the place, do they not provide directions ??

If you do go to Sherwood Park, please don't arrive between 2 and 3pm as you will be getting in my way on the A614 and my boss will have to pay overtime (which he doesn't like).

Ta !! imageimageimage

• cougie - yup, agree with that as well.

Maybe we should set up 'CP Consulting' to help first-timers...

• ooh that could be a nice lil' earner eh ?

Apparently quite a high proportion of first timers think that the Dome goes all over the forest too.

I'd be quite happy to live in a CP stylee community. Quiet roads for walking/cycling - and everyone parks on the outside. It'd be like living in the 50s again ! Quiet roads.
  • I'm a Center Parcs addict as well, been 4 times in the last 5 years (every December as work is quiet then).  Personally, I didn't enjoy the Whinfell one as much as I found less to do there, and the massive journey didn't help.

Been to Elveden 3 times, and really enjoyed it, but will try one of the others next time.....

• It certainly seems as if we are doing the right thing heading for our first CP holiday.  Just need to get the darn thing booked now.  Fortunately we are fully flexible with times of year.
  • I've thought about what it would be like to live in a Center Parc when retired. Pretty good lifestyle, I reckon (but I'd leave to do my grocery shopping).