Barcelona Marathon 2009

Comments

• 10 km race yesterday in 40:41 so happy with that, will have a rest day today and pick up the training from Monday.image
  • I'll be joining you in Barcelona - flights booked (£48 return he says smugly !). Looking forward to what will hopefully be some sunshine after this winter

• 6 miles this morning and no ice to be seenimage.

Copwood welcome what time are you aiming for!!!!!!!

• time ? Good question - this is all part of building up for Comrades in may - probably around 3.20

• 10 miles on the dreadmill at work todayimage Total for this week so far 16. should be able to do 10 miles on the road tomorrow.

3:20 would be a good time, I am still unsure how to run this due to running another marathon in May. So this might be just a training run.

• 10.21 miles on the road today, total for the week so far 26.
  •  No Pain,

You should be ok with 2 months in between , I will race hard at Barcelona & see how I feel 2-3 weeks after as in London .

Got slight ITB problem on the knee at monment so physio says no running for 2-3 weeks...

• Hi all Just catching up with what every one is up too.

Saddler- hope the rest help your knee problem. Looks like we are on the same flight see you at the airport.

No Pain- Your getting the miles in, keep it up. How can you run 10 miles on the dreadmill without boredom setting in? 

Copwood- Good to have an other member to team RW.

DT2- Keep up the training, think of the sunshine and keep smiling.

LiL- there's always making New years resolution to start the serious training.

As for me I did 10k saturday, a 10k race on sunday 46:36 and 6k on the dreadmill. No way near what I should be doing. may up the mille when off at chrismas( christmas day morning sound a idea to go for a run to blow the cobwebs off).

• Was unable to run yesterday or today Fires to put outimage.

Will get back out on the road tomorrow and run 13 or 14 miles.

Saddler- I am looking forward to running 2 close together but will still use Barselona as a training run.

Dog- Due to work I have to put a lot of miles in on the dreadmill, but if you mix it up a little with diffrent elevations and speed it helps to make it a little less boring, also music helps a lot. Well done on the 10k race a run is a runimage.

• Hi guys, just checking in.

what a horrible frustrating week ive had! workload has gone through the roof and ive only managed a couple of really short runs image ive been finding myself gazing out of the window on my daily commute, imagining that im out there plodding along! think im actually going cold turkey!

so hows everyone else getting on?

dog & saddler, yep thats my flight aswell, looks like there may be a few of us image

copwood....£48....nice!  

no pain think im gonna have to join the dreadmill club over christmas!

• Well my plans have now changed ! Did hastings marathon on Sunday, target of 3.40 as this would get me the required seeding for Comrades in May, but due to bad pacing ended up coming in in 3.19, so have got a better seeding for comrades (and a PB !!). Will now treat Barcelona as another long training run, so will expect around 3.50 as this is my target pace for Comrades. Well thats the theory anyway !

Avoid the dreadmil, get out in the mud and off road, so much better !

Copwood

• hi all

Just checking how every one is going on.

Looks like the saturday flight will be full of runner reading Runners World and whats the chance of the on flight film being Run Fat Boy Run?

I'm only getting two 5 to 6 mile runs and a bit of swimming each week until the christmas break.

• Have had a week of due to man flu second bout since Octoberimage all being well will get out on the road tomorrowimage
  • Hiya,

Hope everyone's having a great xmas! Run was great this morning! So quiet!

• Lil- I went out on Christmas Day and had good head clearing 8 miles run around the streets and it was quiet where Ilive too. Only a few people delivering presents that santa ( just in case any kids are reading this or you still don't know) had delivered to the wrong house.

No Pain - Hope the man flu had gone by chistmas day and you are back into your running.

Copwood- just read you time for Hastings, 21 mins of your target time. You must have been feeling good that day. Well Done.

• Well Happy Christmas everyone, was out on Boxing day 5miles and 6 miles this morning, Flu has now gone, legs feel ok but HR is up about 15bpm on runs before the cold. Will now need to start building the miles up over the next 3 weeks or so.

Copwood well done on your PB.

• 8 miles today starting to feel my self againimage
  • No Pain- Glad you're feeling a bit better.

Did a 10K yesterday and PB'd by about 1 min 16 secs so nice finish to racing year. Out on LSR tomorrow. Need to build these miles up!! Especially as I'm away ski ing for a week next month! What distance are you guys on for LSR's at mo? Worked out I do longest run on 8th Feb.

• No pain - hope the recovery continues, I've managed to avoid everything so far, so expecting something bad in the new year !  Training going well - first time I've ever really done this properly as running isnt my main thing, so in past only ran twice a week before marathons. However, running 4 times a week for the last few months has made a big difference.

Lil'R - you ask what lengh for LSRs - probably not a good guide (!) but I did 30 miles yesterday, met my wife in a pub for a recovery pint - just great, best recovery drink I know !

• 5.73 miles off road legs feel fine, HR still a little high but getting back to normalimage My plan is now to run in or around 4hrs in Barcelona and use it as a training run.

Copwood 30 milesimage a little on the long side for me, but if you are planning on running Comrades you need to do a few of them.

• Hi Guys,

Hope everyone had a goood Christmas? well despite my best intentions my training has well and truly gone out of the window during the festive period! damn my friends and family for living in every corner of the country &  trying there hardest to 'fatten' me up (they succeded!) im actually really looking foward to Nyrs Eve now.......more for the fact that once its been and gone i can really get stuck into some solid training without any interuptions, just hope its not a case of to little to late!

copewood....30 miles! phew i only got up to 20miles LSR before my last marathon.

pain....glad your feeling better now, been feeling th 'man flu' coming on a couple of times over the past few weeks, but touch wood, lots of meds, vits & early nights have kept it at bay!

lil.....im hoping to get in 3 x20miles LSRS before we go, did that for Paris earlier this year and i found it was fine for me.

dog.....you can guarentee it'll be run fatboy! my 2 favourite quotes whilst running, 'run fatboy, run! & 'run forest!' oh you never get tired of hearing those witty film quotes from the local youths!

• 6 miles on the road avg 7:37 paceimage HR still a little high but feeling my old self again.

Darren any extra ponds will soon drop away when you start the LSR's

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    14 miles today at an avg of 7:43 happy with thatimage
  • hi all

Well its not strictly true by saying All, as i have just been on the Barcelona marathon web site and had a look at the list of entrants 504 from the UK so far.

DT2- If you pass me on the day i will shout 'Run Fat Boy Run' just to make you feel at home.image Hope you will do the same.

Keep on running everyone.

•  Hi people, wont be saying all after reading theres 504 of us from blighty! (i wonder where the other 490 somthing are!?)

8 miles steady lastnight, back out tonight for the first back to back runs that ive been able to get together in ages!  feel like ive got a whole lot of catching up to do, any advice on which areas to concentrate on whilst playing catchup? i.e more focus on distance runs as opposed to hills/speed/intervals? any advice readily accepted!

been pencilling out 2009 over the past couple of days, anyone else got any other runs in mind already

Pain.. i am actually attempting to stop myself dropping any ponds, i'd imagine it'd be a bit cold at this time of year imageimage hope your right about the pounds though! 

Dog, oh yes, that'll  be spot on, im sure i could muster up a few shouts in return! image 

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

3 miles easy on the treadmill todayimage

DT2 Just watch after the LSR's.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    DT2 I would stick to puttin g in the miles and building a base, speed will come in your 2+ weeks of taper. During the taper aim to run every run faster in the second half this will build up your speed, it has worked for me in the past. Hill work will also increase your stamina try to have some sort of hill in every run.image
  • Happy New Year ,

Back from two weeks in the Sun....

Struggling still with ITBand & Craking knee only 7k tonight will try to get into Physio this week.

1 month is a long time when running last month 30k in 1.57 now crocked....

Looking at using Barcelona as a good training run now to Build for FLM. 

• 6 miles easy lastnight, feels good to get in consecutive runs in the same week finally, altough at one point im pretty sure that my eyes actually began to freeze shut! image 

Pain thanks for the advice, thats kind  of what i was thinking, just working on getting maximum miles under my belt at the moment, got a decent distance run planned for Sat to see where i am fitness wise, fingers crossed!

Saddler welcome back, this cold must be a bit of a shock to the system for you! hope the physio helps out.