Barcelona Marathon 2009

Comments

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

8.78 miles today 1900m up hill and 1900m downimage the down hill section was off road. Worked hard on the up hill section.

I am working this weekend and will have to do my LSR on the dreadmillimage.

Darren miles miles and more miles.

Welcome back Saddler glad you brought the heatwave with you.

•  Had Physio yesterday should  be ok to start light training friday after a couple of days  stretching.image

Main focus now is FLM so happy with enjoying Barcelona for a training run & a nice weekend. 

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Club night last night 6.3 miles warm up 8x500m sprints with jog back and cool down. This was hard work after the hills the day beforeimage 3 miles easy today.

Saddler glad your on the mend.

• 12 miles lastnight, only intended to go out for 5/6 miles easy but it was one of those nights that you just feel great to be out, so carried on! def reasurring to feel so good unexpectidly! LSR tommorow now fingers crossed that goes as well image

28 miles for week so far

hope everyones training is going well? Saddler great to hear your on the mend.

on a completly unrelated subject, ive been breaking in a new pair of asics over the past few weeks, yet i still keep getting what i can only describe as a pins and needles type feeling across the ball of my right foot, any ideas? trainers dont fit as well across the width of my foot as the old pair and theres a bit of movement there, could this be the problem?

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Rest day yesterday did 6.13 miles today tempo avg 7.21 paceimage

Darren, try lacing them a diffrent way here is a link it worked for me.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

My heel felt as if it was falling out the back of my shoe but this fixed it.

• Got back from ski ing a couple of days ago and getting back into the running. Will be at 18 miles for long run at weekend and I've totally redone my ipod but if anyone knows of any awesome running tracks that I could be missing then let me know.

Glad we've warmed up a little. But then again it will probably go really cold in Feb then the race will be 20C! Thats the main thing I'm worried about as that will slow me down. But the average is 14C at that time and I suppose even London etc could go unexpectantly warm!

• just got back from the most unejoyable 8miles ever! just couldnt get into it for some reason, hoping its just down to long shifts at work and general lack of sleep for the past few days!? early night tonight though so hopefully much better tommorow! image

Pain, thanks for that, a reat link def felt more sturdy once i changed my lacing pattern, strangely its bot really anything ive paid much attention to before.

roadrunner, glad you made it back in one piece! i'll be going for 16 miles on on sat, as for music, i just cant run whilst listening to music , tried so many times but i can never get settled in, guess i just like the peace & quiet! saying that i have found myself practicing my spanish out loud whilst on my long runs so prob not so quiet for everyone else! image

what about everyone else music or no music on runs?

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

since the 10th have done: 6, 14, 5, 12, 5 and will do 6 tomorrow. 18 LSR on Sunday so building up well.image

Welcome back Lil got a lot of Pink on the Ipod at the moment but any sort of rock music is ok by meimage.

Darren, I was the same, I have always laced my trainers the same way, but when I did it a diffrent way it was like wearing diffrent shoes on my feet. Music is a must unless its club night.

• I think I've had to relace trainers before. Does make a difference.

I don't usually have music in the week in the club sessions but if I have to do a run on my own at another time and for a weekend long run I have to have it. Running for 2-4 hours on my own in quiet would be hard. It's just a bit of background noise and I don't have it loud so  I can hear what goes on. It's like races, I will have it on quietly as there are quiet parts. However, next time I do London I may not have it on as there is so much happening and people cheering all the way!

Did my 8 miler with the club last night. Well, did the 6.5 then went straight out again to do final 1.5 mile on my own. Then off to track tonight. I had one of those nights last night where I really wanted to go to bed instead but I ran with one of the guys from club and we got chatting to pass away the miles. He was quite happy sharing his experience too. Hope to gather some energy for tonight...

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

6 miles intervals today, 1mile warm up then 5 x 1/2 miles at 5:50pace with 9:00 pace jogs between. Feel ok short run tomorrowimage

Got to listen to the music image

• Hiya.

Howz everyones weekend of training gone? Did my 18 today, went ok.

We had our running club awards do last night and I picked up 'most improved lady 2008'! Was quite surprised! But well happy. Gave me a confidence boost i needed!!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

18 miles yesterday in 2:23 a little icy underfoot for the first 5 or 6 miles but was happy with thatimage.

Lil well done on the rewardimage

3 miles easy today tomorrow 6 miles tempo.

• Hi Guys and Gals - can I join in? I didn't realise there was a Barcelona Marathon thread. I'm doing it for the first time this year. I've only just booked my flights, no acommodation booked yet. I've got an apartment reserved, I fancied that rather than a hotel so I can cook my own breakfast.

I'm aiming at about 3.30, but not sure if the temperature or hills will catch me out. Do any of you have experience of running it before?

In terms of training, things are going OK, had to miss a long run planned for yesterday because of dental pain, but an appointment today should sort that out.

I don't arrive until Saturday afternoon - does anyone know where you have to register? Is it at the official hotel?

• Hey folks, I'm taking to the road of Barca on March 1st also.

Training going fine if I was doing a 10k maybe image
    Not been for many long runs as of yet, few between 10-12 is about the height of it.

How ye all planning to acclimatize when ye arrive ?
    Will be tough going from 4 to 15 degrees approx with a marathon within a few days.

• Hi guys,

Thought i would join in the thread. I did this one in 2006 and am lined up for the 1st of March. I live in the region so know Barcelona fairly well, also have done a good few 10ks in the city and the Barcelona half a couple of times. It´s a lovely city to run in. So far my training has gone reasonably well and i´m looking for a 3.45 time (or less). Had a 10k on Sunday there and claimed a new PB of 42.52 so am very happy with that. Eight miles tonight
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

6 miles on the road yesterday tempo felt ok, 12 today on the treadmill.

Big welcome to Nick Bannerman and El Escoces, Bannerman I see you must have run the Dublin marathon?

I have started to wear an extra top whilst training so I am running in the heat.

My training is going ok but still not sure if to go for a time.

• Thanks for the welcome No Pain, good luck with your 12 on the treadie - you must have a lot of will power to run on those things!

That's a decent 10k PB Escoces! I ran 3.35 last year off a 10k PB of 44, so you may have to revise your marathon target. Are you Spanish? I ran the Va;encia marathon last year and loved the atmosphere, similar but different to a British one. Not many women, so I was in the minority!

Gently run for me today ahead of my weekly marathon paced run tomorrow. I started this at the begining of my training and added a week on each week, tomorrow it's 14 miles - eek!

• Hi Nick

No i´m Scottish but have lived out here for the last 12 years. You say that but earlier this year had a 10K Pb of 43.02 and ran a marathon of 4.02. It was Madrid which in April was surprsingly hot and failrly hilly course but still. Probably should have done more long runs though!  Also enjoy playing tennis and so am always a bit split with other sports. Anyway lets see how it goes this time out.

To no pain i would love to be able to train while at work!

• Thanks No pain, yeah I've done Dublin the past two years.
    It's a big change motivating myself to get out for longer runs in the darkness on a worknight.
    No problems up to 8m but after that the warmth of the house gets too inviting, going to go back to my old summer routes the next few days and will be back on the main roads by darkness so should help to get my lsr milage up.

Where ye all planning on staying in Barca?
    I'm going to be based near the start at the Plaça d'Espanya

• Escoces - you're running at altitude in Madrid too!!

My Spanish is a bit rusty, so only just translated your name! It must be a lovely place to live. My family live in southern Spain, I'm trying to drag them up for the weekend of the marathon.

• Hello All,
    Just looking for a bit of advice guys: I did the Seville Marathon in 3.45 last year (great event), and the Lisbon Marathon (disappointing route) in 3.38 in December; in the build-up to each I was running around 25 miles a week for about 3 months beforehand and would have done a 20-miler 5 weeks prior to each event in about 2.40. However, since Lisbon (December seventh), I've let things go to pot and have probably only done about eight one-hour (or thereabouts) jogs in total!
    I was browsing the net yesterday and stumbled upon the Barcelona Marathon website and was quickly captivated by the whole idea of doing the event. With that in mind, I went out last night to 'test' my fitness/check if I had any fitness left. I did 14kms in 1hr 7minutes, which I was happy with given my paucity of training. I was, however, pretty bust after it.
    Now, after that meandering preamble (sorry), here's the question: With only 5 & 1/2 weeks to go to Barcelona, am I crazy to consider doing it?
    I mean, is it feasible? Anybody got any training schedule tips that'd suit my situation? I noticed that there's both a 3hr30 pacer and a 4hr one in Barcelona, but disappointingly no 3hr45 one. If I'm doing it, should I just tuck in behind the 4hr pacer and hope for the best? I'd really appreciate some honest advice! Cheers guys...
  • Hi adog woof, I'm not expert but if I was you, I'd do it as a fun run and not worry about the time - just do it to enjoy! You're obviously a good runner, but beware trying to catch up too radically or you might find yourself injured and then not able to race at all.

That's what I'd do, but everyone's different and what one person can get away with is very different to somebody else. Good luck whatever you decide!

15 miles at marathon pace for me now - wish me luck!

• Only managed 14, legs didn't feel quite right. Probably should have taken some water. Average pace was 7.50.

I've got an easy run scheduled for tomorrow then a progressive 22 miler on Saturday. I hate running these, 12 miles at 8.30ish, then 5 at 8.15 then the final 5 at 8s. Gonne need a lot of willpower.

Hope everyone's training is going well.

To those who have done it before - how PB friendly is it?

• NickM, yeah, thanks very much for the sensible reply, which I intend to follow. I did a 20km in 1.40 earlier today - totally whacked! To even imagine going another 22kms anywhere near that sort of pace is unrealistic at this stage.

So, I think I'll sign up and book the flights and jog along to see Barcelona's architecture and to enjoy the atmosphere and all that...

Hope the 15 miles at mp went according to plan...at this time of year, as you know, wind, all too easily, can obstruct your intended pace, which can prove a bit disconcerting...

I was looking at the Barcelona result page from last year - isn't it so slick how they divide a runner's individual 5k-sector times down, along with the runner's changing position in the race...

anyway, cheers again, and let the forum know how the 15 miler went,

woof
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

12 miles on treadmill went ok 6.83 miles interval training on a hill with the club last night and a 4 mile recovery run today. 8.6 miles on the road tempo tomorrow and 18/20 LSR on Sunday.

Dog, I would go and just enjoy and not aim for any time.

Nick nice running but anything longer then 10miles and  you need to take water.

Good running over the weekend image

• aw,aw,aw,aw.....

Just done 20.1 miles!! Doing an 20 and a 21 at the peak before the taper so thats one of them out of the way. Hurting all over image. AND gotta go back to work for a few hours. I don't usually, it a one off but I'd rather go to bed!

• Evening,

6 miles steady for me this morning, took it easy ahead of tomorrow's 22 miler.

No Pain - yes, I always take ia Camelbak for long runs, but as these MP runs began 9 weeks ago at 3 miles, then I've increased the length by a mile each week  my mind still think's they're short runs. Silly me! Good luck with your tempo tomorrow and long run on Sunday.

Lil - hope you enjoyed your nap - and well done on the 20.1 miler! image That's fab to have it in the bag already. I love a little nap after a 20 miler, sorts you out nice and proper!

It's all feeling a bit real now, with flights booked and my entry done. Just got to finalise the apartment.

I'm realising that the weather will most likely be warm, so my PB attempt is probably going to have to wait, however after a few hot years, if we get a cool one, then bring it on!

• Nap? Haven't had one yet! image Had 40 mins from getting in to being back at work. Ready for one though. Bring on the lie in tomorrow, or even today! image

I'm hoping for a cool one. If I bring my sunglasses to the race that usually scares the sun away and summons the clouds/rain to cool things down.image

Booking flights this week. Looking at accn. Does anyone know of good, relatively cheap near the start?

• Good to see you folks racking up the long runs. Seems to be a really dedicated bunch around here,

I had 19 miler at easy pace planned for today. I woke up in the night with the wind howling outside and really hoped it would ease off for today. It didnt. I hate running in the wind, dont mind rain, even snow but hate wind. I didnt really want to put it off because i´m playing tennis tomorrow (weather permitting). At the moment with work i can really only get one session of tennis in a week and dont want to miss it. Anyway the wind was brutal! Actually quite a lot of trees down and minor damage. It was so bad  at times blowing my headphones off and i´ve got those clip on behind the ear jobs! I binned the music in the end. Between mile ten and fifteen in was straight in the face. I actually could take a lair of sand off my face with my finger. I run mainly a coastal route so that didnt help. I might as well have been training for the marathon de sables. Didnt see a single other runner out today which is totally understandable really. Nobody in their right mind should have been out running today let alone a 19 miler. Anyway the upshot was 19 miles in 2.51 which with all things considered i´m pretty happy with today.

Good luck Nick with that 22 miler tomorrow. Keep up the good work folks and i´m sure there will be some good times logged in Barcelona.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

8.62 miles tempo @ 7.07 avg pace felt good, so the hill work and intervals are paying off. 20 miles tomorrow LSR.

Lil ,nice run only a few more to go nowimage.

Nick, Looks like Barcelona had some bad weather, it might not be that hot for us!!!!.....

El ,I also hate running in the wind well done with the 19 miler

58 miles in the bag for the weekimageimage.