Barcelona Marathon 2009

Comments

• Jeez - it looks like Barcelona did have some bad weather, tragoc to hear about the 4 children, very sad.

No Pain - goodness me, a long run after such a strong tempo run, that's fantastic. What time are you aiming for at Barcelona?

Escoces - I'm with you there re: running in wind. Rain is quite refreshing, but the wind just saps your strength, so well done for persevering.

My 22 miler turned into a 20 miler, my friend and I set off a bit late so ran out of time, but it was nice and comfy at bang on 8.30s. Felt very strong at the end, so something's working. Just going to jog a bit today, then running 15 miles at marathon pace tomorrow.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

19.17 miles LSR avg 08.45 pace splits:10.44  8.56  9.08  9.04  9.20  9.35  10.06  9.10  9.43  9.53  8.01  7.49  7.55  7.08  7.26  8.08  8.16  8.00  7.57  1.00. Ran with four from the club for the first 10 miles then on my own for the last 9 miles and picked up the pace a little, it was very windy today along the sea front.

Nick, not sure if I will be going for a time or use Barcelona as a triaining run, another marathon in Belfast in May.

• Hi everyone

Not been on line for a while so just catching up with peoples postings. . The training looks like its going well for everone and good to read that there is more joined in.

Had a good 14 mile mid week and a 20 last sunday, But not had much time this week only had a 4mile and an poor 18mile run that ended up as a walk due to not taking any fluids with me due to rushing to meet up with members of the running club for part of the long run.

What does every else take on long runs? I take 2 x 500ml drinks and 2 bananas. Going to try just drinks and Gels next week.

Better go to bed as it is late and work tomorrow.

• No Pain & NickM, yeah, cheers for your replies a few days back - I'm going along to Barcelona for the jog.

Judging by the kms being clocked up, it sure looks if members of this forum are going to get the course done and dusted real quickly.

On an aside, I was just wondering if anyone has ever run the Prague Marathon? I'm thinking of doing it on 10 May to go for a time - heat, however, appears to be a real factor in Prague in May.

On an another aside (!), has anyone tried out the new Asics GT2140 runners? The reviews I've read seem to suggest that there's little difference from the GT2130. Oh, and how many kms should one have run in a pair of newish runners before they're fit to wear for a marathon?

Woof

Oh, yet another aside (!!), do you think hotels in Barcelona will be OK with, say, a post-lunch check-out on the Sunday given the day that's in it? My flight will be hitting the sky at 9pm on the Sunday night.

Woof

• Hi Guys

No pain if you use Barcelona as training run what sort of time would that be?

Dog runner i use gels on my long runs. They seem to do the trick for me.

Adog woof. I´m sure you´ll enjoy your jog through Barcelona as there is plenty to see on the route. Not sure about the post lunch check out? Lasy year in Madrid i enquired about this and it was quite a hefty supplement for just for a few hours more. In the end i didnt bother. Some hotels seem to be more sympathetic to the marathon than others.

Well done Nick on those Long runs!

Anyway pacey five miler for me tonight.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Another 6.13 miles tempo for me this morning avg 7.08 splits:

7.33  7.00  7.17  6.44  7.11  7.12  0.50 ran the hills well and very happy at this stageimage.

Adog sorry can't help with your questions, you might be able to get a late check out if you ask.

El, Still not sure will know close to the time.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

9 miles @8:15 pace on Wed, 6.14 miles @7:01 pace on Thur, 4 miles easy today. 8 miles tomorrow and 20 on Sunday.

Managed to get a sports massage tonight, legs feel great. Have a good weekends running everyone.

• Hello all,

Good strong 16 miler today in 2.06. So pretty pleased with that. Drizzly rain today but much better than last weeks hurricane, just like being back in Scotland really. Looks like tennis will be off tomorrow so up early to watch the Australian open final and then maybe out for 6 miler, of course other half may have other ideas but that´s my plan.

No Pain good luck with that twenty miler and 8 miles the day before. Do you never worry about over cooking it?

Anyway one month to go!

• 20.02 miles in the bank this morning at an avg of 08:03 picked up the pace after 10 miles.

Legs feel good and in a happy placeimage.

El Escoces I have clocked up  238 miles this year so far. My plan was to try and run sub 3 hours this year, not sure if I will push for it in Spain or wait until Dublin in October. My training is going well at the moment and the miles are building up slowly.

• Afternoon folks,

Some great running going on - well done to No Pain for a fab long run - that's my intended race pace in Barcelona! Good luck with the sub-3 attempt, whenever you decide to try it.

El Escoces - that's a great 16 miler too, at a fab pace. Lovely to get runs like that under your belt eh?

I ran a 10k race this morning, 43.33, new PB by about 30 seconds so can't complain. But missed long run this week because of it, so plan to run a 16 miler at marathon pace on Tuesday, then 22 on Saturday, with a few easy runs inbetween. I'm going to taper for 2.5 weeks rather than 3, as in the past this has suited me.

Take care - and keep up the wonderful training!

• Congrats Nick on the new PB thats a cracking run, we´re pretty similar on our 10k times. I´ve got a 10k coming up this Sunday so like you will have to skip the long run. I always like to try and support the local races. The weekend after will be my final long run at a very easy pace and then a two week taper into the big day.

No pain - That´s nice pacey 20 miler (pacey for me anyway) in the bank. You really are racking up the miles but if you want to go sub 3  well that´s the way to go. Keep it going and i´m sure you´ll get it..

Heading into the last few weeks i always get a little paranoid about picking up injuries or a nasty cold or such

Didnt run today but six miler tomorrow.

Keep it coming.

• 5.35 miles easy today. Legs feel good at the moment I should hit just over 60 miles by the end of the week.

Nick M, Nice running and setting a pb on the back of your marathon trainingimage.

El, I was running with a few guys from the club they turned off my route after 10 miles so I was then able to pick up the pace a little. I have 2 more runs over 20 to run the a 2 week tapper, last long run will be on the 22nd which will be a 12 tempo run. After the 1st March I will have 2 easy weeks before picking it up again for the Belfast Marathon on the 5th March. Well thats the plan.

• 6 miles in 45,31 tonight. I was going to complain about the poor weather here until i saw what you guys are getting back home. I have to say i like a bit of snow though. I think i will try and get a a 13 miler in on wed. to make up a little for missing my long run this Sunday coming.

• Hi.

I was racing too at the weekend. Did Ryde 10 and got 2nd best time. Glad because it was hilly and very windy. Doing the 21m this weekend. Should take me about 3 and a half hours hopefully. My time at my last mara was 4.15.22. I hope to get towards 4hr but it can depend a lot on the day, weather etc. I've seen the alimentry but what is it like hills wise? Get the impression it's a bit up and down for first half but two main hills then a little undulating, mainly up for last two miles.

Well done on the PB, NickM. image

You guys are fast. I'm getting there. Got 40 mins off my time in just over the year I have been doing them but I'm prob a way off 3hrs odd yet! When you've all finished, had a couple of drinks and maybe even showered, I'll be coming towards the finish if you're still about. image

One more week then I taper. Always gets a cold or something at 2/1 weeks to go time. Doesn't help that I get paranoid too. Think all marathoners do this in last couple weeks. Anyone sneezes or says they've got stomach ache I tend to be wary too.image On the last one I really did get a bad cold a week before so rested and got rid of it in time. image

Anyway, hope the track is clear for club session tonight. See you soon, keep the reports coming in.

P.S, Anyone got hotel just on place espanya near start? Having a final check and need to book.

• 6.3 miles interval training doing 6x.5 miles @5:40 pace all done on the treadmill

• Lovely day here today. Perfect day for a run or a game of tennis. It´s nothing short of criminal to be sitting in an office looking at it from a window. Brings tears to my eyes. Anyway out tonight for 12-13 miler. I think i´ll play around with the pace tonight and just have fun with it.  To Lil Roadrunner. Here´s a hotel i´ve used in Barcelona very close to the Plaza Espanya. Typical city hotel but got everything you need and from here you can walk to the expo and the start of the race. http://www.h10hotels.com/cas/hoteles-barcelona/h10-itaca.php Have a look and see what you think?
  • 12 miles steady, enjoyed this run and I felt good at the end.image

Split Summary
    ====
    Lap 1 - 1 miles - 07:31
    Lap 2 - 1 miles - 07:08
    Lap 3 - 1 miles - 07:37
    Lap 4 - 1 miles - 07:38
    Lap 5 - 1 miles - 07:36
    Lap 6 - 1 miles - 07:39
    Lap 7 - 1 miles - 07:41
    Lap 8 - 1 miles - 07:32
    Lap 9 - 1 miles - 07:24
    Lap 10 - 1 miles - 07:26
    Lap 11 - 1 miles - 07:54
    Lap 12 - 1 miles - 07:36
    Lap 13 - .08 miles - 00:38

El Escoces, we booked the Ayre Htel Caspe. Enjoy you 12/13 miles tonight.

• Morning folks,

Great running going on, especially the intervals No Pain, that's a wonderful pace to achieve! The 12 miles steady is also a pace I'd be proud of!

L'il RR - good luck in your 21 miler and also well done on your 10 mile time, to be that close to your best is great at this stage!

Thanks for the congrats from everyone for my 10k PB  - and good luck in your race Escoces. What is the weather like in Spain at the moment. Does the cold weather we're having here mean that it's a bit chillier in Barcelona? I really hope so - being selfish!

I have finally booked some accommodation! I've booked an apartment which is about 15 mins walk from the start. It's a super deal, it's 3 bedroom with a large living and dining room, with a fully fitted kitchen - so I can cook breakfast and maybe even pasta the night before! And it's only costing £330 for three nights. Bargain!

Take care - I've got a 16 miler this afternoon, snow permitting. Then it's 22 miles on Saturday morning.

• Club night called off, so went onto the dreadmill at home and did a 10km hill session, pace at 10.01km 1km at 1% then 1km at 4% incline, kept pace the same throughout. Felt ok at the end of it.

Split Summary
    ====
    Lap 1 - 1 miles - 09:29 - 136bpm avge  - 150bpm max - 136cal
    Lap 2 - 1 miles - 09:16 - 145bpm avge  - 153bpm max - 138cal
    Lap 3 - 1 miles - 09:16 - 151bpm avge  - 155bpm max - 138cal
    Lap 4 - 1 miles - 08:49 - 156bpm avge  - 161bpm max - 137cal
    Lap 5 - 1 miles - 09:03 - 158bpm avge  - 163bpm max - 137cal
    Lap 6 - 1 miles - 09:03 - 159bpm avge  - 163bpm max - 138cal
    Lap 7 - 0.39 miles - 03:30 - 163bpm avge  - 166bpm max - 54cal

NickM hope your 16 miler went ok, we have a lot of snow here now.

• Hi folks,

6 miles last night in 47.22.  11 miles tonight 1.26 Legs felt a wee bit heavy tonight and I might have been lacking a bit of fuel. Still you need to slog it out now and again. Tomorrow i have a half day so weather permitting i have tennis in the afternoon, fingers crossed. Saturday will rest and on Sunday morning have a 10k race and tennis in the afternoon.

Everybody seem to be going well.

• 5.16m (00:46:10) - Running - Trail Run
    Trail in forest lots of fresh virgin snow approx 45cm deep hard work but worth the views.

Split Summary
    ====
    Lap 1 - 1 miles - 08:29 - 153bpm avge - 173bpm max - 136cal
    Lap 2 - 1 miles - 08:55 - 158bpm avge - 170bpm max - 140cal
    Lap 3 - 1 miles - 08:55 - 152bpm avge - 161bpm max - 140cal
    Lap 4 - 1 miles - 08:53 - 156bpm avge - 161bpm max - 140cal
    Lap 5 - 1 miles - 09:37 - 157bpm avge - 166bpm max - 140cal
    Lap 6 - 0.16 miles - 01:21 - 152bpm avge - 154bpm max - 22cal

Was to be an easy session but really enjoyed this a lot.

Enjoy your tennis and LSR.

• 8.61 miles this morning very icy with a very cold wind avg: 07:25 splits: 07:53 06:54 07:18 06:54 06:53 07:17 07:25 08:27 04:54 happy with that and milage for the week 64:03image LSR of 21/22 tomorrow.

Have a good weekend.

• Had a 10k race this morning. Pretty windy and quite chilly. There was some problem with the course when we were all lined up in the start that delayed us. Also i was surprised to find it wasnt a chipped race, i´m sure they asked for my chip code in the inscription. At the end there was some confusion as we were herded into line so numbers could be taken down, forgot to stop my watch. Which is a shame as i think it was a new PB. Going by my last look it would have been 42 something. Quite a long time since i´ve been in a non chip race. After that headed off for tennis where i was well and truly given a good pasting but as i pointed most players dont come off a 10k race before they play.

Nice pacey 8 miler there NP.

• 19.05 miles Avg: 08:10 Very happy with this as I was up from 02:10 am at a fire till 07:45. Ran with members of the club up to mile 16. Last 3 miles in the snowimage.

Splits: 08:29 08:07 08:02 07:53 08:11 08:18 08:13 08:25 08:30 08:21 08:21 08:16 07:53 08:07 08:13 08:16 08:01 07:44 07:52 00:28.

El, well done with the PBimage.

Looking forward to putting my feet up now.

• El Escoces - well done on the new PB! Will they publish the times? I always forget to stop my watch, it's really annoying isn't it? And then to continue and play tennis - double congrats!

No Pain - I hope the lsr went well today!

I did my last long run yesterday, after 16.2 miles at marathon pace on Thursday. The MP run went well, I felt strong and kind of 'locked' into a steady 8 min miling early on.  I took 2 gels so had lots of bounce!

But my legs were tired on Friday, which I took as a rest day and I almost postponed yesterday's 22 miler, for fear that I hadn;t recovered enough to do a really good job of my last long run (which for me is always a bit of in indicator of how I'll run come the day itself).

Anyway, I set out with the intention of running the first 12 at 8.30 pace, and then picking it up to marathon pace. The plan worked, it was tough as I ran an out and back course, and on the back section I realised that the wind had been behind me and was now against me all of the way home. Anyway, I just battled on and managed to average 8.20 for the entire 22 miles, with 5 at marathon pace thrown in.

Now after this run I was tired! I did a 4 mile recovery jog this morning and the legs felt dead! Tomorow I'll rest before some marathon paced running later in the week. The race feels very close!

Take care everyone - and if anyone has any tips on tapering, let me know.

• Cross post - well done No Pain!!!! A scorchingly good long run! Bodes wonderfully well for you in three week's time - enjoy the feeling of  well-earned satisfaction!
  • Nick well done on you LSR at  8:20 avg thats a good long run in the bank. Enjoy your restimage.
  • Nick well done on your LSR enjoy your restimage.

• Hi.

Survived my 21 miler on Sat. Well, 21.1. Always do a 0.1 to make sure! Did 21 in 3:29:31. It's the first training run I've done of that distance under 3.30 even though I have run a 4:15 mara. Don't get that extra race adrenaline on a training run! That has give me some confidence although I worry about the uphill finish!image

Glad to be on the taper now, can relax a little. Can't believe it's less then 3 weeks!!image

Does anyone else get a bit of an upset stomach on the day after a really long one? I do on the 20m plus for some reason. I know it's normal but just wondering if I'm alone on that one here. It's fine now, it wants to eat everything in sight, lol!

• Well done guys on those LSR´s. Home straight now. Nice times all round.

NP up all night saving lives and then running 19 miles next day. If that´s not the right stuff i dont know what is?

Nice pacy long run there Nick and on the back of a midweek 16.

Lil roadrunner are you looking for the sub 4 in Barcelona? As you´ve got a 4.15 in the bag.

This weekend coming will be my last LSR 18-20 miler and then i too can join the taper party!

How do you guys carry your gels? Last year in Madrid I only took one gel and stuffed it in the zipper pocket on the back of my shorts. This time out i definatley want to take two but not sure if i want to run with one of those utility belts that i see around. Ideal at the moment as on my long runs i actually run past a Decathlon store and just nip in and buy them on the route. Might just start out with one in hand and one in pocket and put up with it getting a little heated in hands. We´ll see.