Barcelona Marathon 2009

Comments

• 8 miles on dreadmill at work today in 1:07:00. legs feeling very goodimage.

El, I was running between 4 and 5 miles recovery on my rest days, I am hoping that it will make a diffrence. Nice 10k getting a little warmer here.

• Hello again,

Pacey 8k in 34mins today. Ran at lunchtime as cant get out tonight. Really nice day here, bit of a headwind in the first 4k. NP as i´ve said it cant be bad getting to run at work and getting paid for it, dreadmill or no dreadmill.  Tomorrow tennis and then an easy 8-10 miler on Saturday.

• not long now guys, have been feeling pretty de motivated and running real slow since mid of last week. rest yesterday and 10 mile in 1 hr 14 today, image))))))))))))))))))

very very happy, same route i usual do in around 1hr20 so i think i'm ready for a sub 4hr.

rest tomorrow or light weights session, dont know what i should on saturday, thinking about another 10 miles but dont want to push too hard.

hearing reports of hill climbs etc on the grapevine, anybody know anything about these? also any tips for the last week of prep.

when you heading out NP?

• Last long run last sunday and a 7.5 miles last night. still aiming for 4.00 to 4.15. Not long now.

you lot have being puting in some good training runs and times in. Good luck everyone.

• Interval Training lastnight with the club, felt good total 6.2 miles. Rest day today 12miles on Sturday and 5 on Sunday.

El, I am allowed only 45 mins 3 x a week but I get up early and fit it in in my down time, but we need to be fit for our workimage. enjoy your tennis.

Not long now folks just over a weekimage

• Karlos, Sorry missed your post. I go out on Wednesday next week. After this week end Monday will be a rest, tue 6 tempo, wed 8 easy, thur 3 easy, Fri Rest, Sat 2 easy, Sunday 26.2 as fast as poss.imageimage

• 11.22 miles today avg 07:35 pace Splits:

08:28 07:30 07:34 07:42 07:14 07:44 07:28 07:26 07:26 07:24 07:27 01:36

Felt very good and pace was very comfortableimage legs feel great.

• Almost game time folks, be a long week this week.

While I enjoy all my races including the small local ones, there´s something a little special about the big city marathon with people coming from all over to take part. The expo, the TV helicopter at the start, the buzz of the city and the anticipation of the runners.

I live about an hour or so outside the city, wasnt sure wether to go up Saturday and then back home and then set off early on the day. Finally decided to avoid any hassle and booked a hotel, so will go in on the Saturday and just stay over. Avoids any rushing around on the day.

Today 13.20k in 1.04 which strangely felt a little slow but will near enough be my intended marathon pace on the day which i hope is a good sign. My average training pace has been 4.44 per km according to my Nike + which i know while not being dead on isnt far off the mark for me.

Nice run there NP

Anyway tennis tomorrow and not off the back of any LSR the day before so should hopefully have a bit more zip. We´ll see.

• 5 miles easy today, rest day tomorrow. 6 miles on Tuesday.

El, Nice running,whats the weather forcast for next week and whats the max temp?

• Did a 10 mile race this weekend, avoided the temptation to race and ran at an ambitious marathon pace of 4:05/km  finishing in 1:05:50 and felt like I could have kept that pace for alot longer but not sure about another 16 miles!
  • Ed You will be fine, just remember it is only half way at 20 and the last 6 are in the head. Make sure you rest when you can this week and get a good nights sleep 2 nights before the marathon, and let the run come to you.

• Just checking in lads, good to see everyone is still standing.
    Heading over on Thursday morning with my better half to aclimatise and take in some sights.
    Forecast good for end of week but overcast and around 15 degress on Sun, which isn't too bad at all.
    Anyone else going to the Espanyol vs. Real match the night before ?
    Very late start at 2200hrs but will keep my mind off the run, don't sleep much the night before anyhow.

• That might be a good game. I watched Espanyol surprsingly beat Barca at the weekend. First time they have won in Nou Camp in 27 years! It´s given Madrid just maybe a sniff at the league. Anyway Espanyol play at the olympic stadium which is just up the hill from the start of the marathon. Also i think if you do the breakfast run on the Saturday you get a chance to run in the stadium which is a nice touch.

Weather forecast looks fine for the day. Felt great at the tennis yesterday after not having a long run this weekend just had that added spring. Canyt get out tonight so easy five miler tomorrow. Very easy week ahead except of course for Sunday.

• Hi everyone!

Did a nice 1hr 30 yesterday. Was a bit groggy for the first couple of miles as I had to have a couple of days off but soon got into it. It was nice and warm too in the afternoon so hopefully it'll make acclimatisation easier. image

I'm flying out on Wednesday from East Mids and back on Monday. I'm staying at H10 Itaca (Av. Roma) which is quite close to the start. Anyone else on those flights/ hotel(or nearby)?

Second last day in work today, yay! Need a break. Although i won't be able to totally relax in Spain as there is a 26.2 miler at the end! lolimage

Getting nervous now, help! It is my 4th but I still worry!

What else are you guys getting up to while over there? I'm planning some sightseeing.

Would anybody be interested in a RW meet up over there. Did it in Amsterdam and it was good to finally meet everyone. If so, when would be best for you guys?

• We will be flying over on Wednesday from Belfast and we will also be sightseeing and shoppingimage.

Not a big football fan so will not be going to the match, but will try for a place in the breakfast run on Saturdayimage So a meet before or after the mara? Before after the breakfast run? or after the main event?

• heading over from belfast, friday afternoon, sightseeing bib and ireland v england hopefully somewhere. really looking forward to the run but feeling as tho i should be running alot more this week, the taper is killing me!!!

• well lads.. this is my first post to this site,.looking forward to the run on sunday.. taper is tough mentally.. hoping to get round in under 3.40.. first marathon after a bit of a disaster in dublin in october.. Stress fracture!!!

Long runs all done, preparation has gone well.. not planning on doing more than 20 minutes each night this week and maybe a few strides.. massage on wednesday.. Flying out saturday morning from Dublin..

Anyway onwards and upwards.. best of luck to you all.. i can't wait for a few pints on sunday night and a massive feed..

see you all at the finish

• 5 miles today 1 mile warm up 8:12 then 3 miles Tempo: 6:23, 6:35, 6:41, Then 1mile cool down 7:56. Feel very goodimage. Welcome Decokel enjoy your run not long now.

• Been thinkin about meet up-

I'm going to be there tomorrow so I can have a look around place espanya for a pub to meet up in. I will have internet access at my hotel so I can post on here. If you won't be able to get on here and want my phone number for me to text then e-mail me from my profile.

Here's the questions I have prior to my recce-

1) Do you prefer Saturday or Sunday night?

2) Pub with food?

3) What time about on the day you prefer? About 6ish? Earlier/ later? Straight after race? (are u flying back Sun or Mon?)

Right, I'll be onto to it when I arrive. Should be good. In Amsterdam I had to remember to introduce myself by my forum name first, lol! And there were some interesting ones!

Anyway, last day in work today, yay! Got half a track session tonight at club then a 4 miler on Thur, then the last 2 miler on Sat before Sunday!

• 4 miles last night, 710/mile, feeling great today and cant wait???????

anybody doing the breakfast run? thinking about it, missus can have a lie in, i can do the run and be back in no time.

do you think you would have to be down on fri to pick up a bib? dont get in untill about 9 so may be tricky.

have located tickets for espanyol real on sat night but sensible side is telling me to go to bed early!!!!!

bib no 6004, will be in touch before the end of the week, gl all!

• karlos4129, think it's limited to 1000 bibs but you never know as not that many people may be in town on the Fri to get to the Expo.

At the game on Sat night myself, should be a good one as Real are on some run at the moment.
    Ireland vs. England rugby on before that too so a good evening to take the mind off the madness about to unfold.

• Hello folks,

Easy 5 miler last night just to keep things tickings over. I see the dorsal numbers have now been assigned and there is an e-mail to print out.

we´ll will be getting the train into Barcelona on Saturday, probably around lunchtime, dump bags at hotel and head off to the expo to pick up dorsal and have a mooch around. Not sure how long we´ll be hanging around after the marathon.

Lil we´re staying in the same hotel so if you´re around will say hello.

• Well, I've arrived and getting orientated. Not much in the way of pubs at place espanya. If some of you guys are interested in a meet up straight after breakfast run for a drink or something, I can meet you then. I'm not doing breakfast run and just deciding what day to go to expo.

El, I'll be around on Sat somepoint prob. Could meet at hotel bar or something?

We're prob visiting Nou camp and the cathedral tomorrow. Just seeing what else as I want to do main sighseeing in first 2 days so can relax more on Sat.

Well, 30 min run tomorrow and 20 mins on Sat then 4hrs odd on Sun! Been down to where it starts today.

Anyway, hows everyones taper going?

• taper has been going fine.. no run today due to working late.. now hoping to get out for 20 mins tomorrow and might get a massage in the evening.. then a few k on friday and thats it for me.. relax.. arrive saturday straight to the expo and back to the apartment.. will be going to Scoby;s off Universitat for the rugby.. and then chill for the evening.. really looking forward to getting it done on sunday..
  • Well got here last night and did a lot of the sights today and lots of walking, what a great city have fallen in love with the place already. Hotel about 4 to 5 miles from start of the Mara, got my number 4166 via e-mail. I plan on trying to get a plce for the Brreakfast run at thee Expo tomorrow, only give them out between 08:30 and 09:30 am. Lil a meet up after the Bfst run would suit me fine can I suggest out side the expo around 10:30 am on Saturday? and if everyone can make that?image

• Good luck everyone

Flght in the morning, might see Darren T 2 and Saddler at the airport.

Say Hi if you see me I will be the one in the black Animal hoody and reading Runners World as it came yesterday, so I have somthing to read on the plane.

Lil' Roadrunner hope you have made the most of the good weather today sightseeing.

No pain - hope you have a good breakfast run.

• Good sightseeing today. Tour bus in the morning, Sagrada familia and Gaudi house in afternoon. Expo and olympic stadium tomoz.

No Pain- You have e-mail.

• Got it ok for 10:30 will have Dublin Mara top onimage
  • Just checking in folks. Played a bit of doubles tennis today, but kept it light. Heading up tomorrow. Should be there just after lunchtime. Have a good run for those on the breakfast run  and glad you all seem to be enjoying the city. Will be running in Blue Tee and black shorts, dorsal number 7702.

Good luck to all and look forward to reading your race reports.

Lil will hopefully run into you in the hotel.

• best of luck everyone on sunday!

thinking of going to the espanyol match myself just read that they're playing, does anyone know if you can pick up tickets at the stadium? they don't seem to say much about it on the site... kickoff time is putting me off a bit too wouldnt be in bed till after 12pm...

also is there a pub that runners go to on the sunday night after the marathon?