Options

Barcelona Marathon 2009

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Sorry folks did not make the 10:30 meet up, I had bad news during the night but will still be running on Sunday.
  • Options
    El- I'm in pretty much this eve except for going out fror dinner. Rm 408 if u wanna buzz to meet or pop down. Me and my Dad should be about just chilling.
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Well 03:21 for me. I was going great and did the first half in a little over 01:30 got to around 16/17 miles and left foot started to get sore. Could not understand what it was as this never happened in training, started to slow down and try and alter my stride but felt like a blister on the outside of my foot. got to 25 miles and walked the last mile in 12 mins. completed the marathon in 03:21 but now have a massive blood blister which is sore. This is the first time in 4 maras that I have ever suffered with a blister!!!!!!!!!!!!! I now have 9 weeks to put things right for Belfast, the good thing is my legs are fine and feel as if I just ran 20image.

So how did everyone else get on hope you all set PB's.

• Options

I had a great race, ran 2:54:41.

Felt fine to half way in around 1:27:50 then picked up the pace a bit. Did get a bit boxed in with all the people bunching around the 3 hour pacemakers who seemed to be running sub 2:55 pace for at least the first 10km.

The legs were heavy from around km 34 but then a nice downhill section and a drinks station put a bit of life back into them. Started slowing again towards the end and thought I would miss 2:55 but managed to pick it up in the last km and kick to the finish and just make it, I´m very pleased!

• Options

3.49 for me. Now in the sub 4 crowd. Pretty much all went to plan. Weather ideal. Gels worked well. Passed the 4hr pacer at 10k and knew if i kept him in the rearview mirror would go sub 4. Totally packed around the pacer how do  people run the whole marathon like that? Half in 1.53, 30k in 2.37 or there abouts.  At 3.30 was just coming up on the 38k and knew i was well within. At 41k felt a bit of a stitch but by then the work was done. Great support throughout. I´m pleased as it was on the whole a good run and for the most part fairly comfortable.

Unlucky there NP but hey you walked the last mile and were still well ahead of me! A little crease in the sock maybe? You´ll come good in Belfast on home soil.

Enyoy the rest of your stays in Barcelona folks and nice to have met you Lil (even if it was a little late). Back to work tomorrow but hey as a sub 4 marathoner.

Really sad to hear about the young Irish lad.

• Options
    Great race Ed! Well done on the sub 3. That´s a top time mate.
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Great race Ed a very big well done for the sub 3 on your first marathonimage
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    El very big well done to you as well a PB and under 4 hours. How did Lil get on anyone know?
  • Options

Saw a report of the race on TV last night - well done to all who took part. It looked quite an attractive course, and fairly flat, too - they don't send you up to Montjuic any more, do they?

Ed - that is a brilliant time, congratulations!

• Options

Hi to everyone. Well done.

It was my first and 4.10 for a chubby, Im quite pleased. I definately have the bug and will be doing more. I found the whole thing quite emotional. Wanted to say thanks to everyone because its everyone who makes the experience what it is. Im sure by now everyone has heard the terribly sad news of the death of a young Irish runner. I dont know of an appropriate way to express my condolences to his family. He is very much in my thoughts. If anyone knows of a forum or any other way to post a note of condolence please let me know.

Thankyou Barcelona, The Organisers and all the competitors

Matt

• Options

Well done everyone, I came in at 4:15 having been to hell and back in the last 10 km, definately a learning experience, next up is Belfast in 8 wks.

NP is there a thread up yet for Belfast, we should kick one off real soon!

Congrats to everyone, will be back in Barcelona sometime soon.

Could I also second the sentiments of Matt concerning the tragic passing of a fellow competitor. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Karlos

• Options

Hi Guys - sorry I was incommunicado in the last few weeks before the marathon - work became very, very full on!

I had a wonderful trip to Barcelona. I didn't run well at all - came in 3.46, which was 15 minutes slower than I'd aimed for. I had a fab first half, but was sick 3 times in the second half - not sure why. But when you compare it to the chap that died, I have to count my blessings.

Well done No Pain - hope your foot sorts it out. I was reminded on Sunday how marathons can bite!!

EE - wonderful result - what's your next target? I quite fancy Seville next year!!!

Matt - congrats to you too!!! Glad you had a good run.

Ed D - that is blummin amazing! Good for you!!!

• Options

Nick i was wondering what had happened to you? Both you and NP having nightmares and still coming in ahead of me. I need to pull my socks up and make no mistake. It retrospect i think i started too slow but overall no complaints. Next up? well i was toying with maybe even doing Madrid at the end of April as the training is in the bag mostly. Not sure though? Also was taken by the stand for the Bilbao night marathon which has it´s first edition this year. Night marathon might be something different. The only problem with that is that it´s in October and July, August and September are normally very busy months for me, as well as being brutally hot out here. Could be really hard to train for that one.

Also further ahead looking at the Polar night Arctic half marathon, which while only a half is run at night in sub zero conditions. It´s run in Tromso in Norway which looks really nice, that would be in January 2010 so a long way off  yet.  Once again something a little different. I was looking at it this year but couldnt fit a no doubt expensive trip to Norway in. And of course i´ve got to have a stab at one of the Marathon majors at some point. So much out there to do. Ah to be rich and free.

• Options

Back in work after flying back on Monday. Had a really good time in Barcelona although I didn't get a PB this time but I suppose you can't everytime. My current PB was Amsterdam last October which is going to be a fast course.

I was only a couple of mins behind though at 4:18 and I came 6th out of 20 in my age cat. I felt stronger in the second half then I have done in previous mara's although still dying, lol! I lost a couple of mins on first half as I had a slightly dodgy stomach at the start. Also had to stop for quick wee at 3 mile!

If my time comes down like it did for my halves then I tend to drop time quickly for a couple, plateau out for two or three getting similiar times, then drop again. So hopefully aim towards 4:10 for next one. It'll be a couple more before I think about sub 4 unless I surprise myself! But I'm still building the mileage and strength up, plenty of time yet. Already thinking about my next one!

Anyway, well done everyone! Are you all recovering well?

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Back out on the road with a very easy 3 miles last night and today, legs feeling good and the blister has eased a lot nowimage. i will be picking the miles up again next week ,only 9 weeks to the next one now in Belfast.

Karlos I have not seen a Belfast forum but you should all pop over to the 2009 Marathon Forum which is under the heading Training, its a very good group of people with a wide range of times for the event.

Lil, Well done on your 4:18 and 6th in your age groupimage

take care everyone and see you around soon

• Options

well done everyone

What a good day it was and well organised.

I was pleased with my  first marathon 3:59 time and a 1:57 split. had 2 other english runner to talk to most of the way. Ran just behind the 4 hour pacemaked all the way.

The results web site is great with the video clips of each section.

• Options

Just logged onto this thread for the first time.  A massive WELL DONE to each and every one of you.  Fantastic times.   I'm doing my first marathon (Paris) shortly and yearn to come in under 5hrs.  

Thinks to myself i'll work loads harder this week and get my pace up!!