What weather will put you off training?

During the summer I just used to run in the rain.  I have a lightweight waterproof running jacket, and in the summer there was no danger of getting too cold.  Now it is winter, and it seems like a really wet winter!

So, when would you give up on a training session?  I guess below about 2 degrees you risk danger of ice, but do you have any other limits?  If I run in the rain will I automatically get pneumonia, or will I be ok?

Comments

• I have run in spikes in the snow,  so as long as you dress for the conditions you will be fine - plenty of thin layers so you can peel off if you over heat nd wear thin Ron Hill running gloves as for soem reason the hands get cold - probably because they just sort of flap around and don't do anything much.
  • Hot weather stops me, not cold.

Running in the snow's lovely image

Running in the rain won't hurt you at all unless you are already suffering from a cold - in which case you probably shouldn't be running anyway. 

• Nothing

If the weather is real bad - talking of lightning or ice on the roads then i will take the running indoors on the treadmill. Don't like them but needs must. Saying that Monday when weather was real horrible i did just that. but nothing would put me off

The Russians have a saying no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing

• I have touse a treadmill when on duty and away from home as I am on call (Fire Service) but would always run outside at all other times. It rains here a lot anywayimage

• Only fog puts me off as it is so hard to breath when it is foggy.

Nothing else stops me, it all just adds to the challenge.  Plus it is really nice getting in after running in horrible weather and having a nice bath.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Generally I will also go out in anything, alhtough if it is REALLY lashing it down I might think twice. We had a bit of a storm in Glos on Sat evening, and I was glad I wasnt out in it - there was a lot of localised flooding (again)

Thing is though I am unable to stay out as long in the wet when it is cold. Yes you can keep warm for a while, but after 2 hours I start to struggle.

And all of those people who say 'i love running in the rain'....generally it is nice....but if you are out in it for a couple of hours or more unless it is really warm it becomes anything but nice!

Also when my forearms get cold my hands dont work...whcih makes opening doors and such like really tricky!

• i've run in the hills with a few flashes of lightning. Got caught out on a few occasions and always think - you daft fool. Images of a fried runner + four legged companion starts flashing. Three hours of fretting and looking for a place to hold up is another way to take the mind of the pain.

Ps. What ARE you supposed to do when lightning strikes mid 3 hour run?
  • Don't know scotmoose

I have been caught out in lightning once or twice but thankfully i ts when i have been only 10 minutes from home. I got home pretty quickly

Any pubs you could take refuge in

• no pub nearby and a good hour or so to civilisation. Very pretty but bloomin scary.
  • Don't train when it's icey (not to be confused with snow, it's great fun) and that's about it. It's to much of a risk of slipping when there is ice allover the shop.
  • If it's a training day - then it's a training day, regardless of weather.  I haven't been put off by any weather we've had yet.

• I'm out in all weather too, only things that stop me training are injuries and the blood donors.  Wind, rain, snow, sunshine or whatever, it's good to get out there image
  • I wouldn't do much more than an hour if it's raining heavily - especially at this time of year if you are out for 2-3 hours and soaked you do get really cold.
  • Rain if it is stairodding and horizontal with gale force winds ..blagged off on sunday for same reasons ...although iam (still) mostly doing waqlk/run and off road so walking on flooded pitches is not great ..dont mind cold tho if its dry
  • Ice will stop me but not soft snow. Heavy fog too. No point falling and breaking something just to get miles done. Breathing fog is not good for you no explanation is needed. Like others I will try a treadmill but I prefer outdoor fresh air running.
  • i used to go out in all weather before i became a fair weather runner! i have to say, i enjoyed the experience of running in snow more than any other weather.

i hate running in a really heavy downpour and tend to avoid it.

from reading the above i have established that i a motivational problem, at least compared to most of you!

• rain, snow, hail... it's all fine...  the only time I wouldn't run is when it's properly icy...  I'm injury-prone enough without 'assistance' from weather...
  • Been out in my shorts and base layer only in all the wind and rain for the last couple of weeks.  If I don't, then I'll be sitting around moping all day and reading about how someone had a great run that morning!  Still a bit warm though...only had icy pavements once recently.

Never know when a race you enter might have the same weather conditions, so best to get used to it.

• The only weather that stops me is the 'whether' I can be bothered to get off my arse and get out...
  • I don't mean to be a pedant... but it's just the way I am.

Hyperthermia is OVERheating... "Hyperthermia, in its advanced state referred to as heat stroke or sunstroke, is an acute condition which occurs when the body produces or absorbs more body than it can dissipate"  -Taken from Wikipedia

Hypothermia is probably what you meant. Did you know that when skin is wet, heat dissipates from it 25 times faster than when it is dry? Hypothermia has been known in cases where people have been caught unprepared in sudden, icy showers. This combined with the above described wet skin effect results in a dangerously quick drop in core body temperature.

Pneumonia however is a different kettle of fish entirely... it's viral/bacterial and is an infection rather than a "state" as the other two are. Pneumonia is an illness whereas the other two are "conditions" that simply represent a culmination of various symptoms.

• I must admit that if it is pi$$ing down when I get up, I do go back to bed.  I find it difficult enough to get up at 5:30 in the morning without then going out in the rain.  I don't mind if it starts to run after I have left the house though or if it is raining lightly.

I wont run if the pavements are icy now.  I slipped over and broke my wrist on ice along the Thames towpath and it was very painful and put a big hole in my running tights and a scar along the side of my knee.  Still, running with a plaster caste on was interesting!

In very hot weather, I will only run for up to an hour or as long as my water bottle lasts.
  • If it's a combination of strong winds and heavy rain, i'll use the gym or go for a swim instead.

Find it uncomfortable running in anything above 20 odd degrees, so during the summer I tend to run late evenings.

Not sure I believe what some of my family / friends say (who dont run) - that by running in cold / wet / windy conditions we are more likely to catch a chill / cold / flu, etc. Not had any of these for a long time, yet my colleagues who are mostly sedentary seem to always have a cold / virus / flu etc. Anyone else find this?

• Life's too Short - thats too funny by half.

I very rarely get colds & flu nowdays been running consistently now since 2003 and where before i'd get them 3 times a year. In recent years i'd only catch something once a year normally in Oct/Nov. so far this year nothing. Coincidently been running more this year than i have ever done

Yet others (non runners) seem to get them regularly

• I get ill a lot more frequently now than before I ran.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's that fine balancing act...the running increases your body's defences...but over a certain level you're battling going the other way.

However, so far so good this year... 

when i ran 25milesa  week i'd have a cold a few times a year..not really had one this year despite doing 40-50 these days...

• I go out whatever the weather although I do have to push myself a bit more to go out when it's chucking it down.

• I hate to brag, but living in Winnipeg, Canada, it's stupidly cold for months on end. Last winter, I found that I could run for about 75 mins at -35 degrees C, if it wasn't too windy. There was one occasion when I was coming home from work, and the windchill was approaching -50. That was cold like you wouldn't believe.

• I was about to boast that no weather has ever put me off - I'll even run when it's icy by running on the grass verges instead of the pavement - but ATMF has made me feel like a wuss! MINUS 50!!!! image