3 Runs Per Week Schedule

Comments

• well done shmidinator,18 mies is impressive image

i have just entered the San Domenico 20 miler near Merthyr tydfil in 3 weeks time i hope i am up for it ,though i will only be using it as a training run but it will be nice to run with lots of others.

Next weekend i have a flat half marathon race near to home but i will try to push it abit on that oneimage

Keep on running everyone image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

shmidinator that sounds like a really great run.  Well done.  And to Mark on your 15 miler.

I ended up doing a split session this weekend again.  Did 12 off road on the hills yesterday which took about 2.5 hrs.  I thought it was going to be at least 15 so that was going to be my long run.  Because it was only 12 I went out again today and did 12 on the road, there and back.  Going out was 6 miles with a steady incline and 3 big hills; coming back was a steady decline and 3 big downhills!  Did it in 1hr 39.  Really pleased with today's session because it got some speed in and I feel completely recovered from both runs.  The hills are a great workout but its tough going.  Once the marathon is out the way I'll be returning to the fells for my next planned run which is a 20m fell race.  

• Well done Minni thats a cracking time especially after yesterdays runimage
  • Just back from gym doing 15miles - felt very easy, actually enjoyable- so I sped up a bit at the end- just to feel like I'd worked a bit. Noticable that my HR is much lower than it used to be at similar speeds/ distances. Yup, I'm definitley getting there. Will replace next weekends 20miler with a half marathon race- but planning to go for a PB, so won't be much of a rest!!
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Great long runs and combination runs Schmid, Tricia and Minni.

18.5 wet and windy miles for me this morning, but felt good and finished 3 mins inside my Furman target time.

I take a 'half way house' approach with gels and refueling for training runs. So for today I carried about 300ml of water + 1 Go Gel. Sipped the water throughout the run and had the gel at half way. I like to keep my energy levels topped up, so that I can get the most out of the work out, but without taking as many gels as I do in a marathon race. I only have water + gels during races. Anything stronger than water does my stomach in.
  • Schmid - Stick with the positive feelings - you clearly are shaping up as is Tricia.  Good efforts and developments both of you.

Tricia - good luck with the PB next weekend - cor I miss racing...

JPF1 - Quick splits which show your running economy is improving.

For tight hamstrings I have been recommended the following from a physio with vast marathon running knowledge (with UK internationals).  Do the following very first thing in the morning. Slide out of bed onto the floor onto your back - prop up your head.

First stretch, draw both knees to your chest with your hands just below your knees, then gradually increase the stretch over 50 very small squeezes.

Then for second stretch place your feet flat on the ground with knees up, lift 1 leg to upright (with toe pointed up) - draw leg forward with hands just below the knee (try to keep your hips on the floor) and stretch the hamstring with small squeezes - to maximum of 25.  Repeat on other leg.

I started these 10 weeks ago and my hamstrings have been good.  I suffer from tight calves!

Wotsit - thanks for the advice.  I am only doing the long runs without glucose etc (started today) after speaking with a UK International marathon runner this week.  This approach encourages your body to build greater glycogen stores ready for the day - this plus the use of gels etc on race day will hopefully help me to avoid the dreaded wall.

However, I am practicing with gels and lucozade sport during my longer tempos - plus I am planning a practive 20 miler race day mid March.

Today  - 15 miles @6:30 (PMP+13sec) - should have been 20sec but just went with it - very consistent miles (thanks to Mr Garmin) with the 1st being the slowest - and without gels or isotonic drink, just water.  I have subsequently eaten well today - long may my glycogen stores grow!  Quietly contentimage.

• I'm not sure I can post on here anymore as I ran 5 times last week insted of my normal 3!! Sorry.  I still did the three core sessions but in addition did an easy 4 and 7 and added a few miles warm up and warm down before intervals in an attempt to increase miles and burn calories and lard. It doesn't seem to have worked! Highest mileage week ever though for me.

About fuelling, I think Liz yelling wrote that she used to try to run on empty but no longer does this. I think the problem with running on empty is that you can't train to your best and your recovery afterwards is possibly slower. I did 22 miles on saturday and took two gels - less than I would for FLM.

Good running everyone. I think this is the tough month.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Minni, congrats on those 2 x 12 consecutive miles.  1:39 is a fabulous time! 

Trish: you must be feeling pretty smug if those 15 miles felt easy.  Well done.

Mark & Trish:  Good luck for your halves next week!

JPF & QS: Excellent stuff completing those long runs faster than you had to.  Keep up the good work.

Such a beautiful day in London today - I wish could have gone out for a run!  Was very tempted for a moment but then decided I'd benefit more from a core stability session.  If only I had more time to train!

• Astride - Please visit us now and then - your advice is much appreciated.  Plus, see how good you will feel when you tell us about your 5 times a week!!! (but I won't be persuaded).  By the way you don't sound like you carry any lard - 22 miles wooooooooowwwwwwww.

And yes I am tired today post my gel free 15miler - but I have been every Monday for the past 4 weeks - let us hope your prediction is wrong and I am recovered tomorrow.

Schmid - get crunching and enjoy the weather.  I felt yesterday I had started to miss the simple enjoyment of running on a bright Sunday morning - but commitment for the next 8 weeks.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Great to see you again on here, Astride.  You and Wotsit have now convinced me that I shouldn't be attempting any more long runs on empty again.  It happened to work once but I don't want to jeopardise my recovery.  My legs were still a bit achy yesterday which they aren't normally. 

Legs ok for the intervals today but flippin' 'eck - that 3200 was a REAL killer.  Didn't help that I nearly fell over a dog (it was a cute one that just wanted to play, so no problem, but it sure messed up my breathing and pacing for a while).

Astride, you must feel GREAT after 5 sessions and a 22 miler.  Wow, well done you.  I'm too scared to fall back into my old habits of too many miles and so far I've done really well on the 3 runs, so I will try hard to stick with it.  Although it is soooooo tempting to ditch spinning in a hot and stuffy gym in favour of a lovely easy run outside  image  sigh ...

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Scmid - Well done with your intervals and including the 3200. I agree with you about hot and stuffy gyms. This autumn I bought myself a turbo trainer for my bike. It's brilliant. I follow the Furman workouts using it. It has a lever to change the resistance. With it being in the garage, the workouts are never stuffy, I get to use my own bike and watch whatever I want on the TV. Then come the Spring and Summer, I'll be able to venture out onto the light night roads again. One of the best £100. I've ever spent. If you're into cycling, then I can recommend them.

Astride - 47 miles! That's some serious mileage. I've seen your posts on the sub 3:15, but am afraid that I'm limiting my own posts to this thread at the moment.

QS - Thanks for the stretching advice. I'll add it to my own routine. Ironically I too have stiff calves tonight!

5+ tempo/hill run tonight, which turned into a bit of an adventure. On the way up the 3rd hill a tree had blown across the road, so I helped the police man move it to the side of the road. Bit of strength training into the bargain! Glad I wasn't there a few mins earlier!
  • Hey, been busy, just catching up!  Great running everyone, we are half way through the schedule now and it is beginning to feel scarily close!

Tempo run for me tonight and it felt good.  I'm ashamed to say I never used to do tempo runs but I love them now.  18 miles on Friday, slow but didn't feel too bad.  I 've also lost 3lbs - hooray!  Might just be my imagination but I felt lighter tonight when running.  Thanks Wotsit, Minni and everyone for your weight loss advice/encouragement.  Another 4-7lbs by end April and I will be very happy.

• Well done Lou!  I bet you can feel it when running.  You'd certainly know about it if you were carrying 3lbs of extra water in a bottle as you run!

Stiff calves?  I've had my Paula socks on all day as mine have been so stiff.  Must be something in the air.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

My planned session last night was 15x 200m with 100m recovering between.  Measured this by lamp posts so not sure of the actual distance but the effort was the same.  Ran the length of 4 then recovered the length of 2 and did 16, along with 1mile warm up and 1 cool down.  It looked easy on paper but was really hard.  Scales showed another pound lost this morning so worth it!

• Can I join the stiff calf club. Trying to determine whether I should continue with my planned run home tonight or not as right cald feels more than a bit dubious. If I stopped with every niggle though, I'd never run!

JPF1 - for a couple of weeks I was only just managing the 3 runs a week and no cross training due to sick kids and I haven't got back into the habit of cross training again so instead I did 2 recovery jogs which took me to the dizzy heights of 47 miles. It does sound rather excessive doesn't it but only really like 37 miles and 2 cross training sessions and less in terms of effort. I sense I am drifting from the Furman plan to just doing my own thing and running when and how I feel like. Not because I don't think it works but more because a 5 mile jog is more appealling than a 1 mile swim at the moment. I think the end result will be the same. My calf issue might be the start of cross training again.

Lou7 - well done on the weight loss. I wish I could say the same!

• Wosit - I am sure compression socks look better on you than they do on me - but they work.

Astride - the 47 miles (over 25% mileage increase) probably has something to do with your stiff calves - but you can only join the club if you buy and wear compression socks (and admit to it).

Minni - I can picture you flashing in and out of the lamp lights like a strobe - speeding to a new PB and another lb lost - well done.

Scmid - What pace were we supposed to do the 3600m at, as the book didn't say? I decided Short Tempo pace - did I chicken out? 

Lou - Well done on the weight loss and 18 miler (another long one ticked off)

JPF - I thought I had bad conditions last night!  Why are runners such considerate people?

Ran a 5m tempo in the most hideous of conditions last evening - constant downpour and strong wind with gusting gales but with my new first time worn Adidas Waterproof Goretex jacket I was dry and toasty - worth every penny.  I even managed to laugh at the indoor runners I passed.  My tempo pace was 2 sec/mile too slow but I felt I'd sprinted in places so not too down hearted.

• Quickstepper - hey, someone is keeping tabs on my mileage, I'm impressed and surprised noone on the sub 3.15 thread picked up on it. I know but the increase was only 2 * 5 very slow miles. To be honest, I don't think its that. I trained all last year with this calf problem which has been alleviated by using orthotics. However the orthotics have started to cause a problem with my foot so I have been alternating between orthotics and support shoes. I wore new support shoes yesterday which has caused the problem - I think. Ran 15 mile home tonight in orthotics (and compression socks!), I could feel it but it seems to have gone now and foot now hurting slightly. Sorry, its all a bit complicated. I think the increase in mileage is responsible for my achilles aching in the morning though. I'm afraid I know I gambling a bit, I just don't want to run the same time as I did last year so I've got to push on a bit. I've been struggling to fit in the cross training.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Morning all - wot's the story with compression socks?  Is it for people that have achy legs, i. e. do they offer some sort of muscular support?  My legs are fine - it's the joints that let me down and that basically is old age wear 'n tear and a wonky gait according to my doc.  But if those socks make me faster, I'd be out there in a flash and buy a pair!  Same goes for those Skins compression tights - been toying with the idea but since my legs are fine most of the time and I never get cramps I've been shying away from the expense.

QS: as for the pace of the 3200 (note: 3200 and NOT 3600, I would have DIED if I'd had to do another 400) -- can't really help.  I'm using the Boston tables at the back of the book.  The beauty of them is that all paces, including the intervals are mapped out for you.  I think they are a few secs faster than 5k pace.

Lou & Minni: well done on the weight loss.  I thought I'd lost 2lbs last week but they are back today.  Scales are EVIL!!

Astride: I can sympathise with the orthotics issue.  When I wear them, my feet seem to ache more.  Without them, my knees ache.  It's a no-win really.  I now run without them on interval & tempo days and just use them on long runs. 

• Hi everyone

I have to admit i have had a lazy weekimage

After my 15 miler on sat i did not run till Tuesday and then only did a gentle 3 miler with missus MM

Today i have worked harder and done a hilly 8 miler at 7.29 pace.i will rest now for 2 days as i have a half marathon race on sunday.

• Hi- didn't do my planned intervals today, as I'm resting up for a half marathon at the weekend too, so a mini taper thing is happening.

Ran 10k tempo run outdoors the other morning, and felt REALLY good -keeping to pace quite well, and SO much less mentally tiring than in the gym.

Wot half you doing MM?- I'm doing Balloch to Clydebank- forecast is for tons of snow image- better not fall over and injure myself !

• Hi Tricialitt

I am doing the Llanelli waterside half ,its nice and flat but on the coastal path so it going to be windyimage

• Hey tricialitt are you from sunny Scotland?!  I hope this snow goes away - its not good for marathon training!  I'm due a 20 miler on Sunday.  Anyone else?

I'm impressed by Quickstepper's maths too!

• Hi - too tired to type too much tonight and need to focus on daughter's school appeal.

Schmid - sorry the compression socks don't make you faster.

Astride - I know you know your stuff and have enough experience to find your way through - fit and ready to go on the day.  As long as you know what the purpose of each run is trying to achieve then you can weigh up the risk of increased fitness against risk of injury - if you don't have a purpose for these additional runs then why are you doing them?......

Good luck you weekend racers

Lou - 20 miler too - MP3 fully charged - but planning a no gels run as a test!

• I have both compression socks and linebreak version of skins.  I love them.  They're brilliant for making the hot ache after a hard run go away more quickly.

I only ever wear them in the house, or under other clothes.  They are seriously tight!

I had a 75 min marathon paced run this evening and discovered that, regardless of the length of time I run in the evening, I am hungry when I reach the pub 1.7m away from home.  Clever eh?

Oooh, lots of races this weekend.  How exciting image

• I've got compression tights/skins too.  They are great and really help recovery after long runs.  I sometimes sleep in them after a long run - sexy or what?!

Wotsit - you have great self control passing the pub at that stage!

• Lou7 - I thought I was a bit unconventional when I wore my Skins tights under my tracky bottoms on a Saturday morning.  I didn't even tell my wife and here's you telling strangers you sleep in them!!!!

Schmid - I do think this compression clothing works and is very useful when you are pushing yourself - like we are.  It seems it also has potential other benefits?

Today interval 3x(2x1200m) - that's 7200m at pace - ouch.  I didn't hit the pace - off by a large 6secs on average - I didn't exactly hold back (missed tempo pace too earlier in the week).   Has it been the bad weather this week? am I just tired from all the effort? not committing to the pain? or am I suffering from my gelless 15miler still?  Early night tonight and tomorrow - don''t worry I won't be wearing my Skins - to prepare for gelless 20 miler.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Another 20 for me today in just under 3 hrs.  A bit start and stop, which happens when you run in a group.  The avg pace was 8.47 anyway which I'm pleased with because it was a hilly route (every route is hilly around here).  Actually, just looked back and it was 15 mins quicker than my last one 2 weeks ago.

I fancy some skins.  Are they good?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Wow, Minni - what a great run.   Fantastic, another 20 miler out of the way!

I'm sitting here at silly o clock, waiting for the rain to stop so I can do mine.  Yesterday was sooo beautiful but life got in the way, so no running.

Everybody seems to be raving about those compression thingies, so I may just give it a go.  I've so far stuck to regular sports massages to keep the soreness at bay, and they work a treat, even though they hurt like hell, but they do get quite expensive in the long run.  

QS: you are quite a few days ahead of me in the plan.  My 3 x 2 x 1200s aren't due until Tuesday.  Totally NOT looking forward to them.  I'm just shite at long intervals.  Don't worry if you didn't hit the pace spot on -- these are just guidelines.  As long as you work hard, you will benefit from the session.  At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Right, better dig out the waterproofs now, looks like wet one this morning!

Good luck to all of you out racing today.  

• Racing today- and I've just looked out- it's hailing- oh dear, this could be interesting!!
  • Quickstepper - purpose of additional runs are to get out the house for 40 mins into the fresh air, to try to burn a few extra calories and to take the opportunity to just enjoy a run for the sake of running.

Well  done Minni, a really good training run.

Schmid - I'm with you, 1200's are the worst session in my opinion.

Good luck anyone racing today.