Options

3 Runs Per Week Schedule

Comments

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Morning all - I just looked at the training schedule: only 5 more weeks to go - EEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!!

<<palpitates>>

Not sure whether I'm excited or scared to death. Probably a bit of both.  I'm still coughing like a chainsmoker but have done a few easy runs out in the sun this week and some not-too frantic spinning and it feels ok.  Heart rate pretty low, so I think I should be back on track for my 20 miler on Sunday.

Sore-hip: haven't done Reading before, so I can't be helpful here.  Sorry.  If you do it: Good luck & fingers crossed.  BTW, is your hip less sore these days? 

Minni: good luck for Coniston and the 20 miler.   I didn't bother with a taper before my half and consequently didn't race it either, these things are just good practice runs in the build-up to the BIG day.

• Options
    Scmid- yes hip is no longer sore. It kept me out of last years marathon. Perhaps I should think of a new name!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    20 miler out the the way, this time in 2hr52 so anther step in the right direction.  Slight cramp which is new but could be down to the hard cycling session last week.  Fantastic day here warm (but not too warm) hazy sunshine.  Perfect for running. 
  • Options

21 miles for me - ouch!  Started slow, finished strong which I am finally learning to do.   (It used to always be the opposite way round!).

I agree with Minni - perfect weather.  Sunny but breezy.  My last long run was in hail, rain and sleet!  Even had my shorts on today!

• Options

Got the FLM April Marathon News and registration letter today - it is getting close....

Mini - 20 miler with cramp on a warm day, sounds a little like dehydration to me that's all.  How much water/liquid did you take with you on the run?

Lou7 - WELL DONE on the 21 miler - go approach on the pacing.

Schimd - Well laid up and enjoy the 20 miler- I've been ignoring my underlying cold/cough for the past 12 days, my barometer has been my daughter who is also still coughing so I feel I am not compromising my health by still following the schedule with the same intensity.  I have laid off the booze to help over this - which has had a positive benefit of my droppoing a bit of the middle fat (not that I have much anyway).

Sore-hip (but thankfully not this year) - The problem with city races is exactly what you are concerned about, travel and timing plus high cost - but they are well supported and Reading has a great finish in the Madjeski stadium.  Enjoy the day and use it as pre-race prep pratice of staying calm before getting to the start.

I'm on my race day practice tomorrow - getting up at 6:30! eating and drinking as I plan to on the race day and starting my 22 miler at 9:30.  I have chosen 22 miles as I will be consuming energy drinks and gels so should have plenty of glycogen at a PMP+30sec pace.  Something psychological to this run rather than my usual water only glycogen deprived long runs.  I can see my belt being very heavy with 30 fl oz water, 10 floz Lucozade Sport and 4 gels of various kinds.  Vest and shorts though in the sunshine.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hi QS. yes cramp could have been due to hot weather.  I took SIS PSP drink with me and was hydrated before setting off (I actually drink loads anyway and the 'drink' of the moment just now is peppermint tea). I've had a weird feeling in that leg since cycling a week past Friday.  Not sore as such, just feeling a bit tight.  It started at the front of my ankle at the begninning of the week and has slowely worked its way up.  I did 4 miles recovery run this morning and could feel it still so have booked a session with the physio on Monday and been icing it today.   I don't think its anything to wory about.  

Have a nice run tomorrow. You sound very organised!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hi Minni, hope the physio will sort your niggle out and that it doesn't become an injury.

QS, how did the race simulation go?

I managed a 22 miler today averaging a few secs faster than PMP +30secs, so well pleased with that. Even though I had about 4 hours sleep only (been up coughing most of the night) the cold doesn't really seem to have cost me any strength . Phew - I was a bit scared this morning before I set off but it was such a gorgeous day and I had hubby accompany me on the bike, bless him.

The last 10k were supposed to be at race pace but my hip flexor became really tight so I held back a bit. Sports massage tomorrow, I think. I've stretched it and it feels alright now but don't want to take any chances ...
  • Options

Hi everyone,done my first ever 20 mile run today which also happened to be a race.I managed to do 2hr 35

was hoping for 2hr 30 but the second half was almost all a gradual climbimage

Used a couple of gels today and found them really good,also they were giving out energy drinks en route which I can also recomend.

Only 5 weeks to go nowimage 

• Options

Ok so I dossed off today. My 20 miler became a 6 miler due to the strains of fatherhood and having all the rellies over for mother's day. A little twinge in my knee together with the maximal effort of last Sunday's Silverstone Half told me that this was no bad thing this week though. Will stick to the plan to the letter from hereon in. Am aiming to run Reading next weekend even though it looks a complete pain in the arse to park up and get to, I may knock it on the head and knock out 20 miles round the streets of Luton and its outlying villages.

Well done everyone else and I hope all the mums had a lovely day image.

Anyone going to Oakley 20 on April 5th?image

• Options

Minni - good idea to go to the physio, I am sure he will tell you to just keep icing and stretching - sounds a little niggle.  Maybe ask him his thoughts on sports massage while you are there.  I'll pass on the peppermint tea mind.  Yes, I am organised as 2:45 is a scary target and I can't afford any hiccups if I am to achieve it - though the weather on the day is out of my hands!

Sorehip - you must have gained some brownie points from the wife, I am assuming you didn't tell her the "dossd off" scenario, surely you did it because it "was best for the family"?.  Good luck at Oakley and ice the little twinge.

Mark - good run and time - you have to feel very pleased and much more ready for the 26.2 now - are you doing another 20 next week or the week after?

Schmid - 22 miles off 4 hours sleep with a hacking cough and below schedule pace and you were stil thinking of running the last 6 at race pace - you are one tough lady.- wow, respect.  And well done to your hubby too.

My wife was very accommodating today she ferried my daughter round to her shows and rehearsals while I was out race practising in the beautiful weather. image I suggest you all try it out - generally it went brilliantly but I have a few minor improve.  Like setting the alarm correctly! Packing suncream if the weather looks fair for 26th, plus have my pre-race drink etc earlier so I don't have to visit the loo 10mins before the race start (which is 09:45 for the masses not 09:30 like I thought!).

I ran 22 miles (not the 20 in the schedule) and averaged a PMP+25secs (2:27)  But did my groin tighten in the last mile so still a little concerned about the last 6 miles on the day - mile splits ranged from 6:39 - 6:46 thanks to GPS, quickest split was 21st mile!

Have you tried Torq gels?  My first time today - they are a light consistency, have great real fruit tastes, lovely.

Advice: Don't test yourself on a Wii Fit after runnning 22 miles - your Wii Fit age will not be very complementary!!!!!!!

• Options

Great running everyone! 

Quickstepper, I have decided to use my last long run in two weeks (hopefully 22 miles) as my race preparation after reading your posts.  Not quite at your speed though but good to practice race day breakfast, timings and so on.  I can't decide what pace to set out at though, need to see how the next couple of weeks go.  Meant to say, loved your post about the "odds" for us all for the marathon.  Let's hope for PBs all round.

• Options

Quickstepper,great running yesterday you are heading for an excellent timeimage

I was slightly dissapointed yesterday but this is new territory for me.

I am planning to do another 20 miler next weekend and an 18 miler the following sunday both with other FLMers so it should be easier than on my own. After that a 10 mile race on easter sunday and maybe a

10 k race the week before.As you can see there are lots of races down here in west walesimage

• Options

Great running everyone and some great advice - as a newbie I'm soaking it all in image

I especially like the Wii Fit advice QS lol

Sore Hip - I haven't done Reading half personally, but a friend PB'd there and said it is a fast, flat course with a great finish in a packed out stadium - have fun.

I'm actually running Liverpool half next week (closer to home for me). Anyone got any experience/advice on that one?

Managed my first 20 miler on Saturday and actually felt like I could've carried on. However, I listened to a cautious angel on my right shoulder saying "Take it easy, don't want to injure ones self so close to race day" and the fact that to run further would've meant running away from home, only to have to come back again may have had something to do with it image

Also got my magazine at the weekend. It's a sign - 25902 has always been my lucky number - perhaps I can make the sub 4.30 after all image

• Options

great forum this, especially for those of us with a little less time than others to train.

great advice to from QS

this will be my first LM and have done LSR 12,14.16,18, then last week due to time i only did a 12, managed to talk myself round to being a recovery week which made me feel better

i was thinking about 20,16, 20 for the next 3 weeks, do you think this will be ok doing 20 after doing just 12 last week. i also do an 8 and 4 in week.

also when i did my 18 i did my first 9 at 10.30 pace and last 9 at 9.30 pace, do you think i should push a little harder earlier on or be grateful with what i have in the tank?

thanks

• Options

Justin- what's your target time in the marathon? I will look in the 'run less run faster' book and see what you're supposed to do.

For mine (3.45) it is a 15, 20 13 next 3 weeks I think, will check for you.

• Options

nice one fella

firstly i was hoping just to finish, now ive got 4.30 in my head

im worried about blowing up and really want to feel strong running

Thanks

• Options

JD - I'm  hoping for a sub 4:30 in my first marathon also,  and this weekend LSR is a 15 miler. The 3 weeks after that are 20, 15, 10 to lead into the marathon week. Eeek, when you say it like that - there really isn't much time left.

I'm following the version on this website though - not the version in the book. It is a universal schedule with no specific finishing time mentioned. http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2493. Just bear in mind that if you were to do your planned 20,15,20 you are giving yourself a shorter taper. I do have the book but when I saw the planned 5 x 20 milers, I chickened out and went for this one as there are only 2 x 20 milers image

• Options

Ok JD- according to the bible for a 4.30 training plan it says;

5- Key Run 1 warm up, 3x1600 @ 8.40 (400m rest int or 2 mins as I do it), Key run 2- 11miles, 1 mile easy 10 @ 10.18, Key run 3- 15@ 10.28.

4- KR1 warm up, 10x400m @2.04  (with 400m RI), KR2 8 miles- 1 easy, 7 @10.18, KR3 20 @ 10.33.

3-KR1 warm up, 8x800m @4.12 (1.30 RI), KR2 6 miles, 1 easy 5@ 9.28, KR3 13 @10.18

2- KR1 warm up, 5x1000 @5.17 (400m RI), KR2 6miles, 2 easy, 3@ 9.13, 1 easy. KR3- 10@ 10.18.

1-KR1 warm up, 6x400 @2.04 (400m RI), KR2 3 miles, 1 easy 2 @ 10.18, KR3- The Race!!

Hope this helps.

• Options

holymoly - Thanks for the advice, i think you might be right, maybe im trying to do to much to near to the big day, i like your plan much better.

i should have got myself on here earlier, boy  everyone is so helpful.

• Options

sorehip - thanks for the info, sounds like i need to do a bit more than go out and run.

do you really keep to these schedules

• Options

I have done as well as I could possibly do! This weekend's 20 miler was scuppered by mother's day, but the rest I have done- snow screwed it up a bit. 10miles on a treadmill was not great.

I am sticking to it religiously now- tonight is 3x1600 @ 7.11 for me. Just about do-able with a warm up and cool down either side. A nice gentle 11mile run at marathon pace on Thursday. It's a pretty good schedule and has seen me run my fastest half marathon ever this year. I am in for the Reading half this Sunday but it looks very likely I will ditch it (£26 to enter what a waste) and run a 20 miler at home.

• Options

i am fairly new, so pleased forgive my ignorance, but it seems like alot of the programmes have short speed sessions as per above

does this and how does this help over long distances.

sorry about the constant questions

• Options

JD - Sorry to say but at this point the speed sessions probably won't help you too much and are more likely to injure you.  Concentrate on quality long runs and longer tempos (6- 9 miles mid week but run them at your predicted Marathon Pace PMP).

Holymoly was spot on with her advice - a 20 miler two weeks before the race is too long - you will not recover in time.  The last 2 weeks are the taper and it is really all about cutting back on mileage and getting longer sleeps.  At this point you won't be able to improve the fitness.  So I suggest you do 20, 20 then a 12, 8 and run them all at a comfortable pace.  This will give you maximum return physically and mentally in the little time remaining.  Those back to back 20s really will pay dividends.  Mid week for the next 2 weeks run the longer tempos, then drop down to a 5mi and finally 3mi.

Sore-wallet - There will be another Reading half next year and the effort you have put in to date is focused on the marathon - you are right in your priorities, even if you feel a bit out of pocket.  Just make sure you do the 20 miler and feel good about it afterwards....

Lou - 20 miler at PMP+15-30sec start at the slow end of the spectrum and work into it, try and feel strong at the end so you feel good mentally.  You will really learn from the experience and be better prepared for the BIG day.

Mad mark - You really are a sucker for races....enjoy your group runs.  I usually see about 10 people on my 20 milers so London is going to be a shock for this country bumpkin!

Schmid, Mini - How you girls doing?

I have been getting soft in the warm still conditions.  Today it was blowing hard and my 8m tempo at PMP was not easy (God - please no wind on 26th April). I was also a little tired still from the Sunday 22miler but managed the pace, just.  No more long tempos mid-week for me now!!!!  just the PMP 15 and 13 milers and a quicker 5 mile tempo - it really is getting close.  Anybodt else feeling a little scared?

I am still fighting my sore throat (over 2 weeks) - I think it is connected to the crap water in our swimming pool so I am switching to rowing or light spinning on the Monday cross training - the last thing I want now is to be sick, even if I like my swimming.

• Options
    Justin Deegan wrote (see)

i am fairly new, so pleased forgive my ignorance, but it seems like alot of the programmes have short speed sessions as per above

does this and how does this help over long distances.

sorry about the constant questions

In the context of the overall programme -
    There are 3 main cornerstones of endurance sports training:

1. VO2 Max
    2. Threshold
    3. Long Distance / efficiency

The short sessions develop your ability to deliver oxygen rich blood around the body
    Threshold sessions teach your body how to run at the target pace (in this case MP)
    LSD gives you time on your feet and makes your body more efficient at using the body's glycogen stores

The 3 runs a week schedule boils these cornerstones down into the bare bones of a programme. Doing more sessions / miles means easy / recovery runs as well as more interval sessions and threshold runs but any successful programme will incorporate the three key sessions above.

• Options
    Quickstepper - Manuka honey for a sore throat.  Cleared mine up in no time.  I like to think its the amazing antibacterial and antiviral properties of the honey, but the liklihood is that its more to do with sods law and the fact that i just spent £10 on a jar of bee excrement, which I only used for 2 days.  Hey.  Whatever works!
  • Options

MM - thanks for the background, i am really enjoying the training for LM, even if it was super windy today

i reckon this first 1 is all about getting round, next time i really am going to concentrate on different aspects of training and different speeds, i have been a bit one paced which will need to be rectified for next time if i want a decent time

QS - Top man, thanks for all the advice, not only for me, but also for the others, i have gained a much clearer understanding of what i need to do by reading your advice to others. i am so glad i logged on to this site. Do you think 4.30 is realistic first time out? i did a 9 mile in 1.26 today, which didnt feel to bad considering the horrendous head wind. do you think im better off trying to keep at 10.15 pace all race or start slower and build up say 10.30 / 11

holymoly - still on for 4hrs30, hows the schedule?

• Options

JD- the quick work helps your body to metabolize lactate, basically means you can knock the wall back and delay the inevitable pain. Also you are training yourself to run faster, which helps. It has sped me up, no doubt, but me is also skinnier due to circuit training so that is not such a shock.

Hope that all makes sense!?!image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Some excellent advice on here, as always. 

Regarding the sore throat, QS:  I did a killer combo of Vicks First Defence (yucky stuff to spray into your nose), gargling with Oraldene (more yucky stuff) and Echinacea like there's no tomorrow.  The Manuka honey is very good too but mine had expired image.  I didn't know it only keeps for a year?!?  Rip off!!!

Other than that I'm ready for the taper now...  I had a really bad tempo run yesterday but I won't bore you guys with details.  STITCH -- 'nuff said ...  on the positive side:  I just about scraped in at PMP so it's another workout I can tick off the training plan.  Hoorray!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Things going good here QS.  Saw physio on Monday night who said the cramp was nothing to worry about and there is no sign of injury, just tight muscles.   He 'released energy spots' in my back and legs and that felt amazing! 

Club session last night.  5 miles in total with a pyramid session in the middle.  2 x 30 secs; 2 x 60 secs; 2 x 90 secs; 2 x 60 secs; 2 x 30 secs.  90 seconds feels like an awful long way!  

Might manage a run later today, then a 7mile tomorrow.  Will rest on Friday ready for Coniston 14 on Saturday.

My legs feel a bit tired at the moment but energy wise I'm raring to go - maybe I'm not doing enough.

GREAT RUNNING TEAM!

• Options

Hi everyonee

first run since sundays 20 miler,bad foot and massage on monday,no way could i run on tuesimage

But done 8 undulating  miles at 7,15 pace so i reckon the rest did me goodimage

Also had my gait done today and it was neutral but bought a new pair of Brooks anywayimage

had my pack yesterday blue start for meimage