3 Runs Per Week Schedule

Comments

• I couldn't get the HRM to work on mine so have never explored that dimension.

At Expo now, well the hallway of Excel in the queue.

Hearing the music now!
  • Bought a killer roller with big teeth!
  • sounds ouchy!

I'm quite excited about the expo - didn't get to it last time - friend picked up number for me. I will need to leave the credit card at home or it could be quite dangerous.
  • It was 3 for 2 on those kinds of beasties, haven't tried it yet but my osteopath had a go earlier.

I only went round the periphery once then had to dash.

Will try not to be lured back.
  • Last 3 miles done ... once again I couldn't calm myself down enough to go at MP, this is going to be dangerous on Sunday!!!

Still, can't wait now just want to get out there and run!!!  I won't get to the expo until Saturday but there is something about that music you hear on entry that really makes you feel part of something special!  Good luck to you all and I look forward to the post race dissection ... I hope we're all happy bunnies image

• Same here on MP3 had to keep slowing myself down. Just started to feel good half way through third mile then had to stop! Can't wait till Sunday... my head feels v.foggy and am not functioning paticularly well!

Off to London 1st thing tommorrow so won't be able to post till back home sunday p.m.

Good luck to one and all!!

• I can't wait to see how the 3 quality sessions [ha!] approach translates for us all.
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    I haven't posted here for a while, as I'm giving London a miss this year. I've been taking a break from marathon running and training and I have to say that I haven't missed it until now - the week before VLM!

Anyway, good luck to you all - Ktrier, FH as familiar faces - reikirabbit and Edinburgh Flump as new faces. Keep to your PMP and Furman will deliver!

I will start posting properly again if the thread keeps going, as I'm entered for The Preston Guild Marathon in October.
  • I got sunburnt today ... how did that happen with the forecasts we've been seeing for the last week?! 

3.19 for me so I missed my targetimage  but still a PB image

I struggled in the last 6 miles and was quite relieved that at least it was under 3.20, if I'd missed that too I'd have really had to go into hibernation!!!  I truly thought I was on for 3.15 and maybe going out at 3.10 pace wasn't the best plan of action but I knew we wouldn't be doing exactly 26.2 so wanted to make allowances for that.  I went over on my ankle as I tripped on a bottle at mile 14 as well which almost stopped me running, but I limped for a few strides and then ran through the burn ... too busy watching the elite men running the other way.

Hope you've all had a good day, I'm off to bed!!!

• Bah. Bad day for me. Hate any heat. No pb and didn't hit any target. Suppose I did at least stay sub 4 and indeed a mere 40 secs slower than 10yrs ago. 3.53.39. Buggeration. Right leg gave up at half way and had to walk at start of every mile after that. Am now voltarol gelled from top to bottom of leg. Knee and ankle both gone.

Well done FH. A pb still good news.
  • Well my strategy misfired, held on though for 4:06:53!

WIld mystery behind right knee thing happened, and can you hit the wall twice?!
  • Good effort, especially with a dodgy ankle.

4.01 for me but really chuffed.  From 18 miles it was sheer hell and am really proud to have pushed myself to a second half, only a minute slower than the first.

Delighted with 3 + 2 and will continue to follow it but no more marathons for me! 

• You can hit wall x 3 I found!!!
  • Sounds intriguing (and painful!)...
  • If you can hit the wall more than once, the first one must have been made of play doh ;-)  My wall was constant!!

It was definitely hotter than we expected so we all did good!!!  It was going to be my last London, but I feel I didn't do it justice ... perhaps I would do better if I included the +2, if I could just find the time!!!

• HB, so close to 4 hours, have you changed your mind about another one yet?  Certainly by next week, I'm sure you'll be up for another image.  My positive split was about 8 minutes, so you did far better than me through the pain!!

• For me the bottom line is that the change of approach didn't work very well. I can see good aspects to it, ilke I had a massive half PB along the way, but I did not feel that I had my usual background fitness.

I think doing just 2 or 3 short intense cross training sessions wasn't enough for me - in previous marathons I was aqua jogging 3 times a week, usually 1, 2, and 3 hours, and not pootling either.

Perhaps a compromise could be found - what's the verdict overall people?
  • Personally for me, that was just about perfect running conditions.

Still didn't stop me having a hard day out. Held 6:04s till mile 24 then had a bit of a blow up and didn't have the mental stregth to properly foosh my legs. Kept running but any chance of sub 2:40 was gone.

Finished in 2:43 plus change. A 3 minute +ve split and  a small PB which is great considering that I wasn't sure if I would be able to run at all 20 weeks ago and I have been nursing a dodgy ankle and a slightly less dodgy knee. I have to say though these niggles did not bother me at all on Sunday and it was just a pure lack of stamina as that stopped me hanging onto what should be a maintainable pace for me based on my 5k and 10k PBs.

Does the 3 run + 2 Cross training method work? My view is, it Depends..... I think you could probably run a marathon faster on a more traditional program based on more mileage if you stayed injury free just purely because the stamina to hold onto your pace would presumable be there... However for the time strapped, injury prone triathlete this program works great. 

You can definately do very speedy 5K, 10K and half marathon times on it.  But I coming to the conclusion that for a true peak marathon performance you need that little extra bit of stregth and stamina.

Anyway, thank you all for keeping posting through the build up and congratulations on all your marathon finishes and paticularly well done for your PB FH.

Once recovered I'm going to settle into a serious Triathlon training phase to try and get an olympic triathlon PB in July.

Next year I'm thinking of Boston, so I'll definately be back posting then. If I do Boston, I will not be aiming for a PB, but aiming for a "perfect" race, with a negative split in effort and a strong wall free finish.

• Even with PBs we still grumble!!  Well done Ktrier, still a fantastic time.  I'm kind of with you on the stamina side.  My average week never went over 35 miles but as I never did the cross training anyway perhaps I wasn't giving it a fair chance.  I'm toying with the idea of more miles and also with the idea of never doing another one!  There's no doubt about it those last 6 miles are really tough.  My previous marathon was a postive split of 8 minutes and this one was just a shade under 8 too - coincidence?  I'm changing my target with each race so perhaps I'm simply not capable of the targets I go for at a particular time in training.  I wish I had the balls for a negative split at a marathon but I don't have enough faith in those last 6 miles!! 

Anyway for the next couple of months I'm going to concentrate on getting my 10k time down to a sub 40 ... if I'm ever capable of running again image

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    FH – Another PB and sub 3:20. You should be really pleased with your performance, especially after eyeing up the elite men!

HB – Great even paced running and a gutsy effort form mile 18.

EF – If you’ve only slowed 40 seconds over 10 years, then that is pretty impressive – especially as you don’t like any sort of heat.

Ktrier – Another awsome performance and another PB. With all your niggles, I’m sure that you must be pleased with yourself.

Reflecting on the Furman approach is always interesting to read – and it’s always tempting to think that extra running miles may be the answer to improved marathon performances. My own view is to stick with Furman and be disciplined with the paces. (That’s not to say that any of you aren’t disciplined with them!)

Last year I trained for the Robin Hood Marathon after a good run at London. I tried the P&D schedule with more miles at a slower pace. It didn’t work as well as Furman. I aggrevated an old knee injury and then ran my slowest ever marathon in 3:21. I also missed the variety of running sessions and cross training.
  • I think it does work for me and I was unlucky with the knee. I was holding 8.21pace comfortably and I finished fresh in the lungs and left leg!

I have ordered the book off amazon to get the full works re 10k and half training as I had just got the programme off this website. I suppose my only thought rethe marathon schedule is that I definitely consider one run over 20miles necessary. Mentally as much as physically.

I will pop back once knee is fixed (can't push off right foot without searing pain up outside of right knee) and I have decided on next target.
  • Oh dear EF - sending healing vibes.

I only went to 22 this time, partly because my foot injury came between 5 and 4 weeks out, right when I'd have been running longer, as I had planned to do as an extra for peace of mind.

I think it was mainly a mental thing for me on the day too looking at my stats.
  • EF ... and the next target is?  Get better soon!  My copy of the book looks very tired so I've obviously referred to it with a frequency that borders on obsession!!  The joys of children, you might not have the time to go out and run but once they're in bed you can read about it instead and overanalyse the runs that you have managed to get out for! image.

iFish, I guess it's the cost of injury weighed up against absolute potential.  I do like having a focus for every session though and only 3 times a week means, even on a rough day, you can force yourself out the door with the knowledge that the following day is a day off!  Trying to get out twice a day would kill me mentally as well as physically so I don't think I'll leave the schedule even if part of me wants to!  Good luck with your training. 

• I've joined a gym and did 50 lengths of front crawl today.  I'm going to continue with the 3 + 2 and actually do the + 2 in an effort to get my sub 40 10k.  If I succeed, I'll do an autumn marathon!  I've only got 4 or 5 weeks so I'm hoping marathon fitness will also play it's part.  Right it's published ... no going back now!!!
  • Forever Hopeful wrote (see)
    I've joined a gym and did 50 lengths of front crawl today.  I'm going to continue with the 3 + 2 and actually do the + 2 in an effort to get my sub 40 10k.  If I succeed, I'll do an autumn marathon!  I've only got 4 or 5 weeks so I'm hoping marathon fitness will also play it's part.  Right it's published ... no going back now!!!

Pasted above in case you try to retract later.

I'm looking forward to a month of running without the Garmin and then the BUPA London 10K where I plan to cruise around and enjoy the sights I missed through the pain on Sunday!

By June, I'll have Furman withdrawal-shakes and will get onto the half programme...

• ha, ha HB!!! 

Don't think I can ever run without the Garmin - I'm thinking about going into therapy!!!  Don't know if you've come across Run Britain Rankings but it's also highly addictive.  The idea is improve your handicap and it tells you the times you need over various distances to improve it.  This could be why I'm always disappointed with my times at the moment image.

As for the sights of London, it was only looking at my photos that I saw Big Ben and ironically it was showing the time that I should have been at the finish!!  I hadn't even seen it at all as we turned the corner!  I noticed Tower Bridge as we went over it and the Cutty Sark - yey me.  Missed parliament and Buckingham Palace. Perhaps I should have worn my glasses... 

Enjoy your 10k and a bit of downtime before it all starts again!

• Well done FH! I can't swim for toffee. Look like I'm drowning.

HB I am contemplating some garmin free runs too - once my knee improves. Sitting here and whole left leg is throbbing. Not sure if knee is prob or if it is referred pain from hip or ankle. Boo. And I'm twitching for a wee jaunt out!

Book arrived yest. I've always wanted sub45 10k so may have a pop with this schedule. There are more 10k races available so can have multiple attempts!

Speak soon ??