Question for all you keen cyclists

Mr Meglet is a keen cyclist. In that he cycles several times a week, mtb and road. in fact today he has gone to the Manchester velodrome for the first time but thats not really relevant!

he currently owns three bikes (i am sure there are more in the garage, but there are 3 he uses). a decent MTB, a good road bike, and an older mtb he has converted to a "commuter bike". i know he wants a new mtb soon, he is triallying Scott and Giant frames. what i consider a fairly big budget- (several 1000s). he has now dropped in the conversation he needs a "winter" road bike. is this really necessary or is he just trying to wangle another toy? i have tried to find out why a winter bike is different from a summer bike, but all i can glean so far is that he can't fit mudguards to the current roadie, therefore he needs another new (expensive) bike. although he should be able to save some money with the bike to work scheme. i just get told "you don't understand" image

I know i wont be able to talk him out of it, so i just want to see if this is "normal" for a cyclist. i can't believe i feel guilty when i buy a new pair of running shoesimage. how many bikes do you really need?

Comments