Options

What do you carry with you on long runs?

Comments

• Options
    What are bolis....?
  • Options
    I think that's something kk gets when she goes to the special clubs she goes to coops. Are you in London yet? Go on you can tell me no-one else about. image
  • Options

If I'm running from work then I don't take anything. If I'm running from home then I'll have my front door key. I did carry a five pound note once but didn't have a use for it so left it at home the next time I went out.

I have a road id too. wear that, don't carry it. Bit like wearing a bra.

• Options

Less than 10 miles..nothing

more than 10 less than 15.. 1 x bottle water

more than 15 water and a gel 

• Options

Bottle of water. Ipod. Garmin.

If 15 miles plus I substitute Lucozade for water.

If < 10k no water.

• Options
    HitchHitch ✭✭✭

for FLM I carried gel, money and tissues.

I lost my shorts at the end of the race. Not sure how!

so lost my money. (and tissues)

• Options
    For anything over about 90 mins I'll take a camelbak with some kind of energy drink, a gel, keys and my inhaler, anything less then just keys and inhaler. I have tried doing longer runs without a drink but I always feel like crap for ages afterwards.
  • Options
     I take hope with me!!!!!!!!!   hope that i can get through the session without injury.....   hope that it dont rain............  hope that i dont get run over....  and the best of all..hope that i dont lose one of my shoesimage
  • Options

Er nothing. Hydrate before I head out.

It's a run, not a day out back-packing... HTFU!

Long runs, hide a bottle of sports drink somewhere along the route to avoid carrying it.

Not running-related, but it reminds me of the yuppies you see wandering around clutching a bottle of mineral water incase they dehydrate - overkill!

• Options

I'm always amused at how emotive this subject is!  Surely it's just a question of personal preference?  I'd be quite happy to not carry anything, but unfortunately my inhaler is a bit of a necessity!

And if I'm running more than 8 or so miles, that involves going well off the beaten track, therefore my phone is a good idea, just in case.

However, I was amused to see the number of people using gels at a 10k I ran on Sunday.  What's the point in taking one half way round?  It's not going to have an effect until after they've finished...

Oops, now I've contradicted myself.  Everyone just carry what you want - if it doesn't effect other runners, then who cares?image

• Options

I think the reason this like lots of other discussions on these forums can get emotive is that running unless your an elite runner winning medals cant be about trying to win.It can only be about getting better than last year. So you find some way to separate yourself from the lesser herd. In your mind atleast.

So taking a water bottle on a half hour run is worse that taking one on a half marathon run. Listening to your ipod makes you less of a serious runner than those who just want to hear their feet falls.

...and having a picture of a running man as your profile picture is a not so subtle wish to indicate your ability...even if it is not so true.

• Options
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    i would argue that no-one needs all this stuff, but hey ho.

I think people take stuff that they want to take, and which either helps them in some way, or which they enjoy. I have used and benefited from everything I have carried. I have never regretted taking anything, but have sometimes wished I had something which I had left at home.

I don't need to have tissues to clear away the rain from my glasses, but it does help to see where I'm going, and makes the run more enjoyable.

I don't need to drop into the pub for a quick pint on the way home. Buit I enjoy doing that.

I don't need to phone my wife for a chat , and I don't always do it. But sometimes I do, just to share some thought I've had, or to check in and find out what she's doing.

I'm not exactly sure what argument you want to bring up to tell me to leave stuff at home that I  enjoy having with me or have found useful. But, go ahead, give it a go.

• Options
    The reason I end up carting stuff about is because a 10 mile run for me means that I'm away from the house for at least two hours....so I'll need a drink, the music keeps me motivated, the phone is in case I get in trouble (I did need to use it once as I had a fall and damaged my knee and my mum came and rescued me!!) the occasional gel gives me energy etc.  MrGFB's ten mile run is much swifter so he needs to take less stuff with him (although I think he usually takes a route which passes a natural spring so he takes a drink from that if he needs it.)
  • Options
    Garmin & key on all runs. On training runs over 10 miles I'll take a drink, and if it's over 15 miles I'll take a gel as well because that usually means I'm training for a marathon and I need to get used to taking them.
  • Options
    some of the storys of the things people pack are amazing i`ve done runs of 2 3/4 hours and still not carried anything. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
  • Options

im lucky................... my other half simply follows behind in her car and doles out stuff as required - included motivational tips. occasionally get complaints about the music blaring out..............

sorry for being a troll.

ive never taken anything yet as only been doing half marathons. am now starting to train for flm and imagine i'll need some sort of fuel/water etc. currently trying to work out whether a camelbak or waist belt is best. cant imagine actually using these things.

• Options

Long runs:

Keys
    Phone
    Drink
    Milky Way
    Crystal Meth (in case I get bored)

• Options
    I just don't like carrying stuff. I'm LAZY!
  • Options
    I've got to admit I'm surprised by how many take gel's on a 10k run as well, but each to there own and all that.
  • Options
    Andy Money wrote (see
    )
     I take hope with me!!!!!!!!!   
    I beg your pardon...I've never met you!  image
  • Options
    it usually helps to take your brain
  • Options

For a long training run (say 15 miles) I would take:

Camelbak 1l with sports drink

Garmin

Key 

Phone

Tissues

Gel

I rarely use the tissues, phone or gel but you never know and since I run in the country its common not to see another person for the whole run.

• Options

For runs under 5 miles it's nothing but my garmin.

For 6 to 10 it's Garmin, small drink and occasionally i-pod, depending on my mood before i set out, and mobile phone (country running can be a dangerous thing), used it once when i went out while feeling dodgy and had to phone the wife after throwing up, emergency contacts, medical info etc taped to the back of the mobile

Anything over 10 it's all the above but drink is larger and, if i'm traing for a marathon, some gels to get use to them before the race.

As a few people have said it's all down to personal choice, don't think anybody should be slated for carrying anything that may come in handy, as long as you keep up the good work and running remains your passion then, plod on people.

• Options
    Hope you can run with me anytime!  image
  • Options

wearing - clothes, obviously. Ipod shuffle. pedometer. HRM and watch. money belt.

In money belt - 6 jellybabies in plastic. phone. 3pounds. keys. blood testing machine and lancet.

And I only run for up to an hour at a time .  . .

as an aside, use money belt as not yet found bumbag thingy that is big enough/doesn't have elastic straps/straps short enough - anyone know of a make I could try?

• Options

Short run - tissues, blister plasters,bit of cash, lip salve, phone

Long run - isotonic drink, tissues, blister plasters, bit of cash, lip salve, phone, occasionally some sweets too if I've nicked them off the kids.

Always leave keys at home ( hidden in porch ) and if its hot and/or a very long run, get partner to hide drink somewhere on route back. Once someone nicked it though !

The tissues, blister plasters, bit of cash and lip salve don't change because I can't be bothered to get them out of my bag between runs and they are miniscule in terms of weight anyway. Occasionally run with a GPS transmitter too - if its a new route or unfamilar area - so I don't get lost. But this is the size of a matchbox so hardly an inconvenience.

• Options
    Bum - bags, go to Belguim. I was a nerd and didn't buy one when there. But everyone cycles and everything is in child and adult sizes. Should have bought a load of gear, but spent my pennies on beer.