Who will win - Hamilton or Hoy

2»

Comments

• Popsider - take your point regarding BMX and mountain biking, but do you reckon road racing and track racing are as accessible. Over recent years I have been to many road and track events watching my nephew, and looking at the bikes and kits these kids have there is some serious investment their. In the north west I still don't see much difference when it comes to accessibility for poorer kids, it still seems to be either football or rugby league, and other sports such as cycling, tennis, swimming, golf and cricket seem to be much less accessible (unsurprsingly I guess). I agree other factors, like parents interest, also have a great impact as well.
  • Coops - maybe you are right (though at school I knew more guys who did motor sports than tennis, many built up their own motor bikes) but we have created more motor racing champions than tennis ones in the last 20 years.
  • I don't think his parents are THAT rich - they come from Stevenage after all.... OK actually a village just outside called Tewin but ..

His dad did have to spend money in the early days but McLaren spotted him very early and invested in him from a kid. He is probably the first driver from an academy type situation, except that there isn't a widespread academy, it was more of a patron approach.

Tennis does tend to be middle class, mainly because Tennis clubs are.

Of course we are in the cheapest and most accessible sport but it doesn't guarantee success.

The key is parental interest. It helps if they have money but even if they don't if they support their children then it can work. So long as they get their kids to the track to train and ensure they get to meetings then that is a big step. The ones that don't care where the kids are tend to have offspring on street corners smashing bus shelters.

I know the Swiss location is a tax exile as well but still think that a lot of the reason for him going was McLaren wanting to get him away from temptation of the bright lights. After all Monaco is also a tax haven, is where most of the F1 drivers live and has a playboy reputation. He didn't go there but went to Switzerland so I genuinely don't think it is just about money.

You're just jealous of his Pussycat Doll girlfiriend image

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    I wish my parents would buy me Chris Hoy...
  • Why are you a bike then Jj ??.... imageimage
  • Brooks the beast wrote (see)

You're just jealous of his Pussycat Doll girlfiriend image

Surely this sporting achievement is good enough on it's own!!!!!!
  • May be a bit old now, but

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/7736107.stm

The behind the scenes of the filming ot the cycling section for SPOTY.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I admire both of these sportsmen and I think Hamilton's achievement is being under estimated, not to mention the risks he takes every time he clims in the car. Attacking Hamilton for living as a tax exile is fair enough as long as you judge yourself by the same standards- I do plenty of things to minimise my tax burden (like tax efficient savings). And if you ever go to Geneva and see how boring it is, you'll know the trade off he faces and the loss is all his.

I think Chris Hoy shades it as a person and in sheer sporting achievment but I admire a World Champion in any sport.

• Government approved tax efficient savings/living in a tax exile....?  Not really a comparison!!!