Plymouth Half Marathon 2009

1235»

Comments

• The guy who needed resussing made it. He's having more treatment in Derriford according to the Herald this morning. Good news!
  • well done kk and everyone else for that matter, those hills are challenging in the coolest of weather.
  • Im new to the website and have joined after doing this half marathon yesterday. Was so so so hot!

I made the mistake of doing only 2 training runs(furthest being 6 milesimage) before this event and even with a 1h 52 finish I am now hooked.

Just wanted to say well done to everyone who completed in the heat and will see you again next year.

• bit warm wasnt it, got round in 01:32:19  which was good enough for 164th apparently. strong until mile 10 then it got all a bit too much like hard work and my pace slipped, just couldn't get them pins to turn over any faster !!  well organised as ever though.  anyone who got round deserved that shiny medal !!
  • New to the site. Hope this makes any kind of sense. Well done Plymouth. What a great event.

Why can't all events be so well organised?

Ran the first 5 miles, and shared my Gatorade with a young female police officer from Newton Abbott. Sorry I lost you in Saltram. Hope you finished OK.

1:51:17 was Ok for that heat. Well chuffed just to finish!

• Thankyou KK.image

I'd love to get down to a 1.32 on a day like that. So well done on that one Ben.

Did anyone else notice that lots of the mile markers were missing. Once out of Saltram I couldnt gauge how far was left or what my pace was like. Maybe thats a problem with being a Learner and something that I will get used to?image Or maybe i was just looking at the floor all of the time in an attempt to block everything else out? haha

Also does anyone know if that course is available to run all year round. Its the part between Laira bridge and Saltram house i'm not convinced about?

•  Hi to all runners who took part in the Plymouth Half Marathon image

Talking of markers, the only three that I saw were 'Start', 'Half Way' (hidden in a hedge in a gateway), and 'Finish' !!! As superb as the onlookers were I'm sure they were telling me the distance to go from about 2 miles out was shorter in distance in their thoughts but a hell of a lot longer to my aching legs!

First half marathon for myself and very much enjoyed the atmosphere and gritty determination of many runners in such exhausting heat! Can't wait to do it all over again next year image

• Well done all, some cracking times posted. I managed a PB 1:46, no chance of following the 1:45 pacer I was one of the many that couldn't get onto the start line until after the off. Closest I got to him was on the other side of the road on the underpass section. But happy with the time given a toughish course and the heat.

Sorry to hear there was no water at one of the stops later on, must have been painful.

Splendid support all the way round, the Saltram section reminded me of a tour de france mountain stage.

I hadn't realised there was a post race feed and that was a very pleasant surprise.

One thing I'd do is to issue some twine with the chips and have a line of chip removers at the finish funnel, I couldn''t find the bins and saw lots of people wandering off with them still attached.

All in all, pretty good event and I'll definately consider returning next year.

• i only saw markers at mile 6, 7, 12 and 500m to go !!  was certainly pleased to see the last one but it didn't help me figure out my split times and approx pace very much.  i got overtaken by the 01:30:00 pace man between mile 10-11 at which point i knew i wasn't going to do as well as i'd hoped, my legs just didnt want to speed up...  think that was dehydration as i only had about 3 mouthfuls of water all the way round, i honestly didn't see anyone taking more than one bottle, although i gather lots of people have been complaining about the lack of water later on ?
  • Hi everyone (kind of new to running & runners world)

I really enjoyed it!! image  It was my 2nd half marathon, my 1st being Bath in March.  I ran 02.02.20 in Bath & managed 01.58.23 in Plymouth - so very pleased!!

I seen loads of mile markers, can't remember which ones now though & didn't see the 2 hour pace maker.  There were water at the stations when i passed as well.  Would have been awful not have any in that heat!!

Anyway - well done to all!!  image

• I remember seeing all the mile markers including the 12 mile marker twice!  What I did notice though was how quickly the 7 mile marker seemed to appear after the half way point.  I reckon some pesky kids moved it!  Hill through the park was brilliant with all the support.  Agree with earlier comment that it was like something out of the tour de france.  Given the heat I was well chuffed with a new PB of 1.42.  Didn't recall the hills being as bad when I first did Plymouth last year so don't think the Eden project half in October should be too bad!

Well done to the organisers - One of the best organised races in the south west.

• Solly, the bit from Saltram to Elburton (underpass) is runnable all year, there's a couple of sharp bends where I cross to the wrong side of the road to be able to see further round them, but otherwise it's fine.

I didn't see many mile markers either. I remember 5, Half Way, 8 and 12 but no others.

Howfar, the post race food tent is one of the main reasons I do it. That and the race passing within about 200 yards of my house. image

• post race food tent ?  That one passed me by completely, dont tell me they were giving away food ?  I was still 3lb lighter when i got home after necking 1 litre of lucozade sports, that's a whole lot of sweat !!
  • No fair - i didn't shed a pound!!!

Although i did do alot of munching on those flap jacks & mars bars!! mmmm image

• Kwilter, that reminds me of my first marathon, absolutely out of it and had to run past my parked car mile from finish.

Ben, I'm not going to list the food that was there. Suffice to say best post race spread I've seen.

• Go on list what was on offer.. that might inspire me to get sub 1:30 next year and get my nose through the door of the food tent a bit quicker..  if it was mountains of Soreen you can keep it !!  I did the 100 mile north cornwall tor bike ride in april and saw enough of that to last a life time.
  • I feel almost ashamed to put my time up here. This was my third half marathon and I did it in 2:17:30. I had to walk at least four times after my left knee caused me problems. I was nearly crying in frustration. I managed to run over the finish line but can not tell you how gutted I am.

I don't know what the problem with my knee is but it has happened a couple of times. When I get to eight or nine miles the outside of it starts to hurt. It particularly hurts when I try and run uphill. Oddly, the pain is worse when I stop. It was really sore afterwards but seems to be getting better. I am seeing a physio on Saturday - is that the right course of action to take?

But I still loved Plymouth, it's my favourite event.

Benjamin crowle - here is a sample of the food on offer:

shortbread, brownies, energy drinks, energy bars, pasties (mixed varieties), chocolate bars, apples, oranges, mints, cranberry sauce (randomly), tea, coffee, sausage rolls, water.....

• Hey BlondeEm...don't knock the cranberry sauce, I finished quite a bit after you and still ended up with 3 jars of it image

You missed out fruit juice and mini Mars bars.

I'd go see a fizz...I went about a month ago as my ankle had been hurting for a couple of months (yes I know! She already told me) Didn't get better when I rested or worse when I ran, but I figured I had nothing to lose. She did massage, acupuncture and sorted me some temporary inserts for my shoes and I've had no pain at all either in the Half or since I finished it.

Are you Plymouth based, I'd be happy to recommend her if you're local

• Think everyone had a great time and with Regards the water situation allegedly each station had 4 crates last year but this year they were only given 2 crates per station? (this was from one of the volunteering scoutgroups)

Maybe these were cutback due to the weather forecast which gave rain up until saturday morning?

Thankyou also for the information regarding the saltram-elburton road being open. Means I can be more prepared and can do the course a few times again before next years event!

Food was a complete surprise to me, a good surprise mind you!!

• Completed this one last week - my first event - in 1:49 so I'm v. pleased.

Regarding the route through Saltram, yes it's open all year, there's a gate at the end of the Ride (approx 4-5 miles into the half) that's usually closed, but it's got a access at the side so people can go through but not bicycles/horses etc. At the far end after the hill where you join the road to go down to Plymstock there's another (iron) gate that you have to open yourself, but it's not locked. I've never run it very late at night though, so not sure if they close it at night.

• musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

Back from a week in Brugge so first time to post.

Well done KK, Quilter and every one else.

1:56:29 chip time about 2 mins quicker than last year. Not a PB but my quickest Plymouth time.

I saw all the mile markers - there were 2 for mile 6, one a very small one and a larger, official one the other side of the water station in Saltram Park. Pretty sure that the small one had been added to replace a moved one. The halfway marker was not in thecorrect position - there were a couple of people standing in a gateway on the RHS of Hay Road,  where in previous years there has been a clock,shouting out that that was halfway.

Great event -  sorry to hear about the water running out

• CAN WE PLEASE NOW CLOSE THIS THREAD
  • Thanks for your advice, Kwilter. Yes I am local, well to Exeter anyway. I went to see a physio last week and it turns out it is something called ITBS. And I am getting it fixed with lots of stretching....

so roll on next year!!