over or under pronating??

Hello,
This is my first post on RW, so I hope this isn't a question that's already come up again and again.

I need new running shoes as the ones I have are a) about 5 years old and b) give me blisters just under the balls of my feet when I run anything more than a mile.

Before I buy I want to make sure I'm getting the right support, I think I underpronate because my foot print is a narrow strip down the outside of my foot, but I'm not sure if this is right.

I get most of my exercise cycling, swimming, surfing and playing tennis, but also do three mile runs now and then. I'd like to make the runs a weekly occurence, but at the moment am put off by the blisters.

Does anyone have any suggestions what type of shoe I may need?

Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry if it's been posed before.

Comments

• There's only one thing to do, go to a good running shop and get advice from them. Take along your old shoes because it'll help them decide how you run and then recommend the right shoes. Allow plenty of time because whenever I go in I end up trying loads of different shoes.

Want to know a good shop in your area, I'm sure the forum members here will help, where are you?
  • Thanks Neon,
    I'm London based, work in Farringdon, live in Highbury.

Better put those old ones through the washer before I take them in....
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    Farringdon is just 10 minutes walk from City Runner (Ludgate Broadway). They seem to know what they're doing.
  • Hi Maria - you could also try Runners Need, which is on Parkway, just down from Camden tube station. They've just furnished me with my yummy new Mizuno Wave Riders. The guy who served me was good, and made me run up and down the street outside so he could check what my feet were up to.
  • Thanks guys, that's really useful.
  • Hi - Maria the recommendations are good. The blisters and the footprint would suggest you have a high arch. For under/over pronating look at the wear pattern on the soles of your existing shoes. See how it progresses from the heel to the ball and the toe.

This will answer your question which is why you should take them with you to the shop.

In either case you will probably need good arch support.

good runninng and keep us posted.
  • Hi Maria - I have the same problem as you - I had insoles made for my shoes - called orthotics - at West End Physio - just off Oxford Street - they mould them to your feet - they really seem to have done the trick - my legs don't hurt as much after long distances anymore.
    You'll find West End Physio in the Yellow Pages.
  • Fantastic. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
  • Just a quick update for those who helped me out.

I went to City Runner near Ludgate circus and the assistant looked at the wear on my trainers and told me I was neutral. She sorted me out with Mizuno Wave Riders which I knew were well-regarded. It set me back more than I'd intended at £70, (isn't that always the way?)

I'd tried other trainers on and they seemed fatr more comfortable than my old ones, but when I tried on the wave riders it was like I wasn't wearing them at all.

I thought I should make the investment though, and I have to say, the pay off has been immediate. I've found myself able to run 3 miles without the discomfort I used to get from blisters after just a mile or so. It also feels just generally lighter on my feet and joints, no more pavement pounding. The running experience I've had in these is just completely different to the old one, I even managed to enjoy it!

Thanks a lot for the help, you helped to convince me to spend the extra and be more careful about what I wore.