Snow

I want it to snow like it used to so I can go sledging! image

Comments

• A bit in the north but it's rubbish and didn't settle! It's just sludge image
  • Its all gone in Rotherham, just a drizzle now.
  • We never get any. Well we did once....

Miss LB is ten on Tuesday and saw her first snowfall last year! I became aware of how much we had when my neighbour (who is 57) was rolling this ENORMOUS ball over our driveway at 6.00am!

"Hey get your own bloody snow" I shouted from the window.....image

"This is for your kid's snowman" he shouted back and before you knew it, the whole street was outside!

These adult males (who never speak to each other and don't even know each other's names) started a huge snowball fight before breakfast! Then they all calmly put on their suits and went to earn their millions...image

My kids did make the snowman (who lasted nearly a week)! but they wouldn't have been able to make him half as impressive had "Mister Tom" not got out of bed at 6am, found his inner little boy and rolled the biggest bloody body of a snowman I've ever seen! image

• They had some snow in Bury & rochdale on Tuesday, took me over 2 hrs to get into work cos the council couldnt be arsed to grit the main roads!!.

There was easily enough for sledging and a few decent snowmen

• It is true, isn't it JP - we never get any?image
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

NGL - you in Rotherham???

You unlucky sole!

I will be up there on 13th, doing a race.

MIght pop into sheffield Decathlon......oooh the excitement!! image

• not much in my part of yorkshire, either reports are overexaggerated or we are in some weird sort of weather pocket as it seems all around have loads of snow and we have just an inch of slush. its enough to scupper my running plans though image

LB, last time it snowed (probably about 2years ago) my kids didnt know how to make a snowman! image as they had never made one before they didnt know about rolling the snowball to make it bigger. Mind you, we used most of the snow on the football pitch to make a 2ft snowman, so there wasnt that much!

• You can borrow our Mister Tom, Meglet - I'll send him round!

He's a dab hand with a big ball of snow! And it's blooming hard work once the ball gets really big....image

• If we get any in Derby I take the kids up into the hills - if we have a cm here then they'll have a couple of inches up on the tops - seems silly to have to drive out to find it but otherwise they'd miss out.
  • I work here Nick. I try not to stay here too long if I can help it.
  • you're right, dredging my memory i can recall that rolling the large ball gets pretty tricky. even more tricky to lift the head on. but i love that squeaky sound it makes.

i'd like enough to go sledging properly. we live on a small but decent hill. you'd just get soaked if you tried it today.

Edit;x-post. that was a reply to LB. are we all talking snow and not getting on with work?

•  back earlier from 6.5 miles in 3-4" of pure dry snow in Harrogate - and its still snowing!!

Amazing how many drivers think that the way to drive in snow is to put maximum revs on the car when the wheels are stuck.......................................

• LB - is right we dont get any snow round here, there was not a flake on the ground on my way to work on tuesday until I got to the M60/M66 junction and it was like entering another world (although its like that most days for other reasons)image
  • Simister Island IS another world.... Do they even have electricity in Bury? imageimage
  • You know I can't remember the last time we had snow!  We've had hailstones that have covered the ground and made everywhere "snowy"....but none of those big fat snowflakes I remember as a child!

(I did see the Old Mill in Rammy covered in snow on the Skynews this morning....I fell up those steps once! - sober mind you!)

• Deck the halls with boughs of LB! wrote (see)
    Simister Island IS another world.... Do they even have electricity in Bury? imageimage
    Yes if we give them enough notice that we need some, they sometimes have running water too.
  • Torque Steer wrote (see)

back earlier from 6.5 miles in 3-4" of pure dry snow in Harrogate - and its still snowing!!

Amazing how many drivers think that the way to drive in snow is to put maximum revs on the car when the wheels are stuck.......................................

you see, i am in a weird weather pocket. only 15-20mins drive from Harrogate. and i know in the other direction its pretty bad about 3 miles away. here its sort of snowing but still slushy and wet and horrible. if i had the kids i would be considering driving to find more snow!
  • 62-63 was the year for snow. It started on boxing day 62 and the freeze continued into March 63. I remember trudging to school in snow that came to the top of my wellington boots. We had woollen gloves that were soaked through because we had been snow balling. Fantastic times. The windows at home were frozen-up for days on end.image

No we don't seem to have snow like we used toimage  

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

....Autumn....now I dont remember that (being a '76 child)...but frost on the inside of windows....ohhh yes.

AND getting dressed IN bed!

• Now im going to sound almost like my Dad when recalling how some years in Lincolnshire the lamposts were half burried.

When I was a kid in the Midlands (not even up Norf) we used to get snow most years and it would be around for a couple of weeks, one year we had 2 feet of snow and snowdrifts covering cars.  The local pond used to freeze and people used to skate on it (and some fell through the ice too).

Glabal Warming...  PAH image
  • Oh and we used to use 3 foot icycles as light sabres and sword fight with them.
  • feb 1991, so much snow the uni shut and i was quarantined in sick bay with chicken pox. the road were all closed so my dad couldnt come to fetch me to take me home. snow stayed for ages and there were mega icicles on the buildings.

1995 (i think, feb again), started snowing mid-afternoon and most people couldnt get home from work. half hour journeys took about 5hours. i left work early by chance and just got home before it got too bad. before when everyone had mobiles so no idea where OH was! (stuck on a train it turns out)

• Nick L...we didn't have central heating then...we would stop in bed in the mornings and wait for my dad to get up and light the coal fire...we would keep shouting down stairs to my dad..."is the fire lit yet"...only getting out of bed when we knew it was well lit. Then it was a mad scramble between me, my brother and sister to get closest to the fire to get dressed ready for school. Everything was done...eating breakfast...getting dressed...at super speed to avoid standing around in the freezing cold.    
  • When we got married (nearly 22 years ago!) we had to hang a blanket on the inside of the window so that it wouldn't frost over....not sure if it's because the winters were worse or if the crappy heating in our "love nest" was just, well, crappy!
  • pah - you lot know nothing

as Autumn66 says, you needed to be around in the winter of 62/63. we had 8 weeks off for Xmas holidays as the school was frozen solid - a kid's winter dream in other words! sledging every day with mates; creating the biggest ice slides you've ever seen; just great fun. as he also says - no central heating in those days - coal fires were the thing so the house was always freezing in the mornings with frost on the inside of the windows.

the temperature was sub-zero for over 30 days running so the snow stayed as well.....

and for our parents, this was on the back of the winter of '47 which was supposed to have been even worse....
  • B to xmas...I thought I was the only one on here old enough to rememeber 62/63. What a winter wonderland it was...it just went on and on...week after week of frost and ice. There were huge icicles hanging from the drain pipes on every house.

Our house ponged of parrafin...my dad kept a parrafin heater burning constantly in the loo to prevent the pipes freezing...these youngsters don't know the half of itimage   

• ah yes - the dreaded paraffin heater - I'd forgotten all about that awful thing, although I used to chuckle when the bottle went "glug" as it fed the wick. ours was in the kitchen so the smell sort of pervaded every cooked meal... image

I lived in SWales and the local mountainside had 30' drifts and some of the villages higher up the valley were cut off for days. there are electrical pylons that go over the mountain top and the electricity board had to bring in a chopper to get the ice off the cables as they were in danger of coming down - the photo made the front cover of the Daily Mirror at the time.

it started to snow on Boxing Day - I'd been with the family to the local chapel for a Xmas carol concert and when we came out it was bucketing down and carried on like that for about 36hrs......

ah - happy childhood memories

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

ha ha - my parents had a parafin heater in the downstairs loo...as they only got central heating in the early 90s! They only had 2 gas fires in the whole house. My sister and I used to have little calor gas heaters in our bedrooms! The pipes froze once in the bathroom, and my dad was melting things with a hair dryer!

I remember waist deep snow drifts as a kid in the early 80s in our garden.....but the 62/63 thing sounds fab! This was in Worcester, so not exactly up north!

• I'm in Shropshire and it certainly impacted on the midlands in 62/63.

It was my job on weekends to get the gallon cans filled with "pink". It was not such a chore really cos' the guy who owned the shop selling the "pink" also sold bicycles...gave me the excuse to drool over the lastest bikes. Also he was the coach for the British Olyimpic cycling team so I got to meet and speak to some of leading bikers of the day. Happy...but bitterly cold daysimage