Options

Sat 6th December

Just back from Mrs AF's christmas party, so couldn't resist starting the thread.

BAcj with some training later...

Comments

• Options

Morning All

Thanks for all the well dones, now to take 2 mins off that time in Ras Al Khaimah which has the benefit of a flatter faster course but the disadvantage of being in late February on a course with no shade so it may be a tad warm. Chip time for yesterday 1-36-56.

What: 10 miles in 79 mins at dawn with a mate whom beat me by 34 seconds yesterday.
    Why: we both fancied a trot
    Last Hard: yesterday
    LAst rest: 9.11.08

Were you drinking AF?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all

What: 5km + miles AM
    Hampshire league PM
    Why: it's the weekend
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: Friday 5th December.

I went nearly a month without a rest day but realised in the first week back in proper training I was getting tired so rather than obsess about mileage I did NOTHING apart from drive 400 miles.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Hants XC lge for me and Jnr today too.
  • Options

TmR - thanks for your kind offer.  I can't find any slight about Birmingham.  Any city with more inland waterways than Venice is ok by meimage

What: 4m am / Hants XC league pm for me too.
    Why: it's today's zeitgeistimage

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Morning

what - 4m am / XC Hants league
    why - hard training run

• Options

Thread day out thenimage

Excusing DD who may have travel issues over getting to Overton, I wonder if any other of today's thread contributors so far could make it to Hampshire for a XCimage.  A cheaper option than Downton...

• Options

Beautiful day up here, with sun breaking through the mist whilst I was plodding along the river bank.
    What: 20 mins steady earlier
    Why: cos I won't be doing Hants XC league...too far and too far.
    Lyrics: nope

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

morning

"I am tired, I am weary, I could sleep for a thousand years...."
    not too far removed from the way I feel every weekday morning at 06:30 when the alarm goes off.....

congratulaions DD - after your illness a few weeks ago I'd never have thought that was possible....a great run.

what: something significant, will make my mind up later
    why: going thru a bit of a mental low at the moment

Originally, the plan was to do 10 last night at around 6:45 pace, but various domestic imperatives delayed me getting out, sapped motivation & in the end, realised I didn't have the time to fit it in. Substituted a relatively easy 4.1 miler - or it should have been - but the wind - yet again - on the prom made it very difficult. Got in feeling quite demoralised.

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭

morning

I know these lyrics. 

What: 9 miles reasonably easy on a reasonably easy route
    Why: it's saturday
    Last hard: don't know
    Last rest: 9th November

Have a good day out on all the outings today.  

Posh black tie do tonight. 

Byeee

• Options

Morning..

DD very impressive well done..

Mike S chin up.. we all get bad days..sure you will get your mojo back

alehouse..fantastic weather here too ,after last nights wind and rain..I was beginning to think I may have to abandon todays LSR I couldnt believe the change in the weather when I woke up .

what : 18 miles in 2 hours 47

Why : LSR

Last rest : ?

Last hard: the last 3 miles of that..seem to go on forever.. 

• Options

Morning all,

Mava did you get new underwear in the end for your posh black tie do?

Good luck everyone racing today.

What: maybe a run?
    Why: sherpa for Sean today but might squeeze a run in while he is warming up
    Last hard: 23 Nov
    Last rest: Weds

Good runnings all.

• Options
    What - Couple of hours on the bike
  • Options

Saw the singer of those lyrics perform at Royal Albert Hall a few months ago.

What: An hour's circuit training in Greenwich Park this morning

Why: Core strength

Last hard: Yesterday lunchtime

Last rest: 8 days

Longer run planned for tomorrow.

Good luck to any one racing tomorrow 

• Options

Afternoon all,

TMR:  The Florence results in AW show a pretty good performance by the brits. 

Mava:  Posh do - will ermine furs adorn the imperious?

I'm probably the closest of the DTT contributers to Overton, but I won't be XC-ing there as it's institutionally club-ist and I'm club-challenged, and a creature of the roads.  However, I can confirm it's a great day for a run in Hampshire.

• What:  10m
    • Why:  Recovery
    •  Last Hard:  Thursday
    • Last Rest:  11 days

Best of luck to the Hants lge runners, and anyone else racing.

Have a good one!

• Options
    What: Overton XC - sun was shining, kids were playing, birds were singing - probably should have taken more than the 40s off of last years time then - but actually enjoyable in places, and the RRR coffin dodgers might have just done enough to still be at the top of the vets league - possibly.......
  • Options

Evening peeps.

Yesterdays lyrics: ' Do they know its Christmas '  by Band Aid. ( Original version 1984. )

What: Easy session today, cold and frosty outside too.

All the best to this weekends racers.

Night peeps.

• Options

Evening folks.

DD - fantastic run, and a bit out of the blue too. Superb.

BR - I'll bear the Dylan concert in mind, but not too sure I'd be happy cancelling a week's worth of root canal treatment appointments to accommodate it...

Had a rest day yesterday and drove up North through a stunning snowy landscape to our Hielan' hoose.

Woke this morning to a heavily-frosted, perfectly calm outlook over the loch, the rising sun tipping the snow-covered mountains in a beautiful pink hue...oof, came over all flowery then...

Headed over to Skye for the second race in our club championship up here, a very hilly 4.4 mile road race. Perfect racing conditions. Beforehand, I noticed a guy there who'd absolutely spanked me (by about 20secs!) over 800 metres at a Highland Games back in the Summer. Wasn't sure how he'd be over a longer distance, but had him in mind from the start.

Off we set, and I was quickly pulling away up the first hill into the lead. Bit of a drop to the first mile marker (5.30), then it was an undulating 2nd mile. Made the mistake of looking over my shoulder and seeing the 800m guy only about 20secs behind me approaching the 2 mile point. I immediately started thinking I'd pushed too much at the start and he might reel me in over the second half of the race. Through the 2nd mile in 5.39, then it was the longest climb of the race, a real steep lung-burster. Pushed on as hard as possible, running the 3rd mile in 6.00. By now I was really feeling the terrain and was looking at the long shadows being cast, expecting one to appear from behind. Into the 4th mile, which again included loads of steep ups and downs and I was determined to keep pushing. Surprised myself by going through the 4th mile (on pretty jellied legs) in 5.33. Was fairly sure that this mile would be enough to stay ahead. Then it was up the last short climb, before the downhill finish. Crossed the line in 1st place in 25.04. As it turned out, I'd actually been pulling away quickly from 800m guy over all the hills, and won by more than 2mins! Was delighted to realise I was 43secs quicker than last year - chuffed to bits. A great run from Mrs S too, taking 2nd lady and getting much closer to the leading lady than she's managed before...a definite target for the future.

A great scoff afterwards...3 bowls of soup (all homemade and different flavours), rolls baked while the race was being run, and endless cakes and coffee...all for a £1 entry fee...what a rip-off, eh? ;o)

A cracking day, completed by fantastic views of the Cuillin on the way home.

Have a great evening. 

• Options

AF, Nick Anderson and Bud Baldaro had organised a load of top Brits to be there..  All staying at the same hotel etc made for a really good w/e.  If the weather at the start had been better all results would have been a minute or two even faster.

What:  Midland Women's league (with B'ham mens league)
    A lovely sunny day here as well.  I hadn't run since a recovery run on Monday, so I didn't know if I'd be recovered and rested and go really well. or still with the marathon in my legs, or just rusty.  I felt good warming up, and ran much better than in the first league race, beating several rivals who I haven't beaten for years, and an ex-training partner who seems to have defected to a rival club.  Pleased with that.

• Options
    Scobos and Mrs S, excellent races, and sounds lovely
  • Options

Scobos - well done on yet another win.

Michael G - good course at Overton I thought.  What position did you finish in?

TmR - good performance so soon after a marathon

AF - you could join most of the clubs 2nd claim for a nominal fee and race.  Gobi runs this for AFD.

V slow start for me - I was behind a 39 min 10k clubmate for the 1st half mile.  Gradually picked my way through the field, overtaking our 5th scorer halfway through lap one (he finished 90th) and about 70 others over the course to finish a slow 46th in 32:00.  To be expected with 102 miles in my legs over the last 7 days. Enjoyable run though.  Looking at other results it's about current 10k time minus 3 mins, so the equivalent of running a 35:00 10k, losing me about a minute due to the tired legs.  Had a good view of Gobi's race too...

I'm sure I saw Dustin warming up too...

• Options

TMR - looks like you've found a purple patch - good stuff.

Dubai Dave - great half, maybe the rest did you good. Can't say I'd be looking forward to your next half, in the heat with no shade, no matter how flat the course was.

Scobos and Mrs Scobos - brilliant running in what sounds like a wonderful place, along with the freshly made soup!

Good luck to all those x-country running.

What: Up early to run with Saturday morning group - just over 11 miles.

Then out in the garden, and just when I thought I'd done enough husband thought he'd have a go, so ended up doing more.

Then old club had a little run organised for the afternoon, so a further 3 miles in the heat.

Good running everyone.

• Options

BR - a 'bit' behind you  - well run

71st in c. 33.10; pretty good reflection of where I'm at at the present, and as 10K is 36:10 - I agree with your maths! Being so very old and experienced I've got into the habit of starting v. slow and picking off people all the way. Not sure whether that's because I'm really convinced its the best tactics, or whether I've just lost a bit of commitment re being prepared to be Nads out for the whole distance. Current tactic does mean a lot of places to catch up especially if, as today up the first hill there's a lot of congestion. Did manage 5th scorer for club and 2nd Vet so well worth it in the end.

Next Hants XC is on home turf, so plenty of support to go for it from the start - we'll see what happens

Good luck to those racing tomorrow

• Options

Evening

Michael G - Well done

Scobos - I have a huge grin on my face reading your report sounds stunning, even if lung busting and you win well done  to you and the Mrs

BR - Well done  even if  it was a little slow for you but tired legs as you say would do it

I'm still about this week at work has been a bit manic (retail) for some reason its got busier this week image we've been doing extended nightshifts so have been sleeping a lot and not much time to run. But have managed a little bit (the streak is still going... just)

weds 1.03
    Thurs 2.14
    Fri 1.27
    Sat 3.8 miles

But exactly the same thing happened last year but only managed 25 miles over 5 days not good. So got to do enough just to maintain basic fitness. Run what i can when i can and come January  get back into it fully.  

• Options

evening

Sounds like a good day for XC then. Great result TMR, so soon after that marathon, and the Overton racers sound q pleased with their respective efforts too.

Brilliant day out for you Scobos (as well as Mrs S) - showing some great strength up those hills. Congratulations on such a spectacular win.

down on the Wirral coastline:

what: 8.3 miles in 57 mins (if we neglect a pitstop)
    why: trying to make up for yesterday

Really wanted to bag the full 10, but temperature was dropping sharply when I started, and with the air being quite damp, and many pavements in the shade never having dried properly, it got a bit tricky underfoot.

Wasn't helped by having to break off at 5.3 miles for a pit stop; by the time we reached 8, things were getting quite hazardous and I was close to home, so canned it there.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Hants XC, slow start and plan was to build each lap, bearing in mind I am doing Victory 5 tomorrow. All went to plan apart from theer were only 2 of us from Andover.... 35:XX (50 something in 127th, my best placing for a very long time and a XC time best for me too over any of the Hants XC races.... very happy (1st back for club.....)

Well done BR, TMR, Michael G,

BR is Hilly (Hilly are you) OK as saw you walking back to the tented area?

Take care all

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Evening all

2 race reports

established my chest was not 100% today so managed to win the 5km without running flat out. Rach was also first lady so a good day.

The XC at Overton was run like BR so a steady start with a steady pickup. Moved through the field nicely finishing 39th in about 31.20.
    I have no idea what this was pace wise as I don't compare XC to anything but I was faster than last year without running flat out.

Solid day out really :¬)
  • Options

RFJ - thanks for asking.   Hilly's ok.  This morning she wasn't racing, but decided on the way to race as I was but not really focussed - set off too near the front given a session yesterday.  Would have been better off setting off further back an picking people off along the way.  The aim was a training run but legs too heavy after yesterday so decided to save the energy for tomorrow's LSR.

Well done on your race.  The Pugometer says 38.xx for 10k...

• Options

Today's Lyrics "Venus in Furs"  by the Velvet Underground as a few of you knew.  I much prefer Lou Reed when he's in "Taste the whip, in love not given lightly, Taste the whip, now plead for me" mode than "Oh!  It's such a perfect day".  Never seen him, but saw his wife twice in May.

"you could join most of the clubs 2nd claim for a nominal fee and race. "  To quote Grouch Marx "I'd never join any club that'd have me as a member"

• Options

AF - re: LR and "Perfect Day" - not sure the lyrics are as upbeat as you seem to think....

"I'm glad I spent it with you" -I always thought "you" was a companion whose name began with "H". As did Danny Boyle when he included PD in the soundtrack to "Trainspotting"...