Training for under 40mins in the Eastleigh 10k

Comments

• I'm not keeping it steady this week due to trying to take a cutback in training. Done 500m x6 last night with 200 meter jog recovery. Rest day today, feel like I'm going to get fat with all this rest coming up.

Miliage this week - 7 miles
    This time last week including a workout on the day - 19 miles

Am I doing the right thing in taking a cutback this week? As I feel I need one of those weeks for mental and physical recovery!

• Yes, definitely! Don't think along the lines of getting fat, you sound like someone with an eating disorder.

• Yes you are doing the right thing, once you realise the benefit of a cutback week you will build it in your training schedule.
  • No, if anything I sometimes eat too much but that's going to be hard knowing I'm not going to cover much miliage this week. I can get away with eating loads while training properly, but maybe I should watch what I eat this week? Or just pig myself out as usual? image

What do you usually eat Squall? Bad foods I'm talking about!

• Curry... Pizza... Nandos.... Chinese.... I usually have about one of each in a typical week. I'm terrible with food.
  • Just did 8.11 miles in 1'05'03"
  • I'm guessing that this 8.11 miles is a route you use. Are you going to be doing that route every day? Once this easy week finishes I may think about going back to the steady miliage with one or two quality sessions a week.

Looking for 40mpw consistantly. What you on now Squall? 50mpw surely!

Yes Squall one of each a week not really too good as it's not runners fuel but you've got to treat yourself after your heavy program. If your not gaining weight then why not? Anything over 40mpw I reckon would be hard to gain weight.

• Last weeks training:

mon:    Rest                                                                                                                                                                       Tue:     1.5m warm up, 5 x 1k @3.38, 2m warm down                                                                                              Wed:    6m easy                                                                                                                                                                Thu:     2m easy, 4m @6.26, 2m warm down                                                                                                             Fri:       6m   easy                                                                                                                                                              Sat:      rest                                                                                                                                                                         Sun:     11.5m easy      

slowed the intervals down to the same pace as two weeks ago and found them very easy so a definate improvment.

• missed Saturday session as too busy but apart from that pretty pleased with the week, thought I may be a bit tired after upping the mileage last week but if anything I felt pretty fresh.

Going to race a 5k on Sunday to benchmark my fitness but won't be tapering for this. The 10k I'm training for is on the 17th so will start my taper about 5 days out.

I'm thinking of substituting the weekly 1k interval sessions for faster 12 x 400m reps from next week. Anybody have an opinion on whether this is a good idea?

Paul: sounds like the hip may have cleared up... touch wood!  
  •  Was back in action yesterday doing intervals with my club and felt comfortable on my hip. Bit sore again today but some anti-inflammatories and some more stretching have helped stop that. Entered the New Mills Triathlon on 28 June so gonna be cycling and swimming a lot as well which should help my hip cos' that will mean less days running.
  • I'd like to be up and over 50mpw... but my mileage keeps bobbing up and down. Hoping to hold down a steady 55mpw+ from now on... at least for a few months.

I'd like to be hovering around 62-63 mins for 10 miles by october.
  • Dodgy formatting, but a good week's training midnight!

What's your reasoning for subbing in a shorter interval session?
  •  Was swimming yesterday as I dont think my hip is ready for me to be running on consecutive days. On Tuesday night it was intervals of 10x200m then 2x1 mile and then 10x200m. For the two mile intervals I was running them in 6mins 30secs (off-road) which is better than I thought after my time off image.
  • Paul:

Was thinking along the lines of them being less stressfull than 1k repeats and therefore part of my taper, also the fact that I haven't done any before and I imagine they will help improve my form/economy.

If you can maintain 55m+ for an extended period then I'm sure you  will see good gains over all distances.

SA:

good pace on the intervals.

• MR: Quick 400s are great for that... they certainly remind you how to run fast. They won't give you the gains of 1k reps, but as you've said it's for a taper, so in fact you'll probably be priming your speed.

SA: Keep doing SOMETHING everyday... you'll get back to it soon enough.

Hmmm... I'd like to be doing doubles again. That was definitely the least painful/injury-invoking.
  •  Back at the club tonight for a LSR. Not sure the distance till I get there image. Im off work tomorrow so going to go swimming again and get my bike on Saturday! Two 5ks this weekend at Bramhall and Alexandra Park. Decisions Decisions!
  • SA

I'm doing Alaxandra Park if you fancy joining me? 

• Hmmm... I've found a train station 3 miles from work... I might get the train and run!
  • Good idea, at least you can add another six miles to your weekly mileage image

•  Midnight Rambler, Ill see how my hip feels after tonight. If its as good as it was Tuesday then Ill definitely be going cos' not done Alexandra Park 5k before but run round it a few times and it seems very flat and good for PB potential!
  • I've got an idea. Not sure if long miliage is the way forward for me or not, as I'm not really looking to compete in anything over 10k

What I had in mind was more high miliage than long miliage. So instead of an 8 mile run on Tuesday at steady pace why not easy 3 - 4 miles in the morning, intervals in the evening? Including warm up and warm down that's over 8 miles anyway. I could do the same for Thursday too, with Wedensday being an easy 4 - 6 miles.

How does this sound, but give me your honest opinion fellas;

Monday - 4 miles easy
    Tuesday - 4 miles easy, intervals
    Wedensday - 4 miles easy
    Thursday - 4 miles easy, intervals
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - Tempo run (1 mile warm up 3 miles hard 1 mile warm down)
    Sunday - Long run (10 - 11 miles)

Total Miliage - 36 miles per week

Or would this program break me? I know different sessions suit different people...

• Looks decent to me. What pace would you be aiming to do the long run on sunday at?
  • Umm probably an easy pace like 8:00 - 8:30 depending on the route. If it's really hilly probably closer to 8:30 but if flat then around 8:00 minute miling. Some people say that if your training for anything up to 10k your long run doesn't need to be over 1hr long but I've seen some 5k programs where it states 1hr30 is more ideal for a Sunday run.

You not interested in speedwork anymore Squall?

You must have a pretty strong base by now. What events you got coming up? And your targets for them.

• SA:

I've ran the Alexandra park 5k a couple of times and it is completely flat and fast as you say. Nice and friendly as well.

Twix:

don't know about anyone else but two interval sessions a week would kill me!

•  Midnight Rambler,

Im definitely going to run the Alex Park 5k now so we'll have to catch up. One of my friends is coming down as well so should be a good race especially with a PB to challenge for.

• Alex Park 5k is a nice one, apart from a couple of sharpish turns but at least theyre near the start of the lap, not a single hill in it.

What time are you guys aiming for on sunday?

Oh, and a belated congrats with hitting your target squall.
  • Twiix... be careful with doing your long runs too fast. You'll get virtually the same benefit from doing a 10-miler at 9:00 pace as you will doing it at 8:15 pace.... but you might find that the latter takes it out of you a lot more. The difference in the overall time will be pretty insignificant too.

Its horses for courses really. But I'll say it again, that for me personally, in 10 years of running - my best times have come from pure mileage.

In 2004, when I was 16 and weighed about 138lbs, my PB for 10k was 41'47". I did 15-25mpw (usually under 20 though) in about 3 sessions... a long run, a tempo run and a speedwork sesh.

In 2009, at 21 and weighing 142lbs, my PB for 10k was 39'36". That's on 35-45mpw average, running almost every day where possible, and doing no speedwork.

If I get to 100mpw and i'm not running faster... then I'll concede that miles aren't everything. But as yet, high mileage is the undiscovered country! I have to see how far I can go with mileage alone before I'll be tempted back into doing serious and regular speed sessions.

Anyway, I'm a firm believer that regular racing/time trials can keep you sharp.
  • This is my slightly nuts plan for the run-up to the Netley Abbey 10k on the 17th May, starting tomorrow:

Sat: 10 miles easy
    Sun: 5 miles easy
    Mon: Rest - in cornwall
    Tue: Rest - in cornwall
    Wed: Rest - in cornwall
    Thu: 5 miles easy
    Fri: 10 miles easy (2 x 5 miles)
    Sat: 10 miles easy (2 x 5 miles)
    Sun: 10 miles easy (2 x 5 miles)
    Mon: 10 miles easy (2 x 5 miles)
    Tue: 10 miles easy (2 x 5 miles)
    Wed: 10 miles easy (2 x 5 miles)