Training for under 40mins in the Eastleigh 10k

Comments

• Gonna get out for a very gentle (70% MHR) run for about 60 mins on christmas day. I'm still not eating properly or sleeping properly and feel tired all the time
  • Yesterday and today been more ill than I was christmas day, so no training. I'm starting to feel quite depressed about the whole thing.
  • Take a rest then Paul! It's pointless training when you feel ill. If you aren't sleeping well (and you normally do sleep OK), you're either still ill (taking some resting HR will tell you this) or over-training!

Give it a couple of days 'til you feel better then trot gently for about 3 or 4M to see how you feel. There's no sense in getting straight back into hard training so soon after a lurgy attack; you'll just prolong it.

• Its so bloody frustrating. I've just felt tired and lethargic for over a week now... I seem to have headache and earache all the time. And I'm hardly eating at all. What I was saying the other day about putting weight on was rubbish.. i've lost a lb or two.

Guh.

I'll give a brief run a go on monday... which is what I did on Christmas day and if anything it made me feel worse.

Oh well we'll see. Plenty of time till Eastleigh at least.
  • Right, feeling fairly back to normal now. Still coughing a bit, but no temperature, sleeping and eating properly etc.

Will try a steady 3.3miles tomorrow afternoon and see how I get on.

• I've been ill for the last week too - chest infection. Frustrating isn't it. Still, you won't lose anything over a week or so off so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • 3.3 miles in 26'15".

Not much, but its a start. Quite hilly. Coughing like death all the way round.
  • Paul,

Sorry I didn't see this thread a little earlier.

Two main things:

1. Take it eays on runs if you're just feeling depressed or a bit down. Seriously. I sometimes go out on my runs and will literally be running 9 or 10 minute miling for a 4 or 5 mile run just because I feel like absolute c**p. What can sometimes also work for me, is every 10 minutes just putting a 20 second stride in- makes me feel a bit less like I'm hobbling.

2. If you're not well- take the days off- seriously. One week right now makes little to no difference. If you were training in the run-up to the olympics then YES it's worth carrying on - as it is then you'll be running much better taking the days off.

3. Once you're feeling well again don't mess around too long at lower mileage (unless you think the illness etc. was caused by the running)- have a build up, but if it wasn't injury related there's no reason to do an entire build back up again.

4. Weight- just don't worry about it. I can go psychotic with my weight but at the end of the day there are huge daily fluctuations and you're looking for much more of an overall trend.

Could you post up whole weeks training her as it would make it a lot easier to analyse what's going on?
  • Sure thing, I will do in future. But I've done basically nothing since the 17th. My last week of training was only 2 days:

Mon - Rest day
    Tues - 800m warmup, 10 x 1,000m with 2 min recoveries, 800m warmdown.
    Weds - 800m warmup, 3 x mile with 3 min recoveries, 800m warmdown.

From then I was ill, although i managed 35 minutes light CV work in the gym using various pieces of equipment on christmas eve, and a very light jog with my mum on christmas day of 5ish miles. But probably 10min/miling.

I'm hoping to have a weekly schedule of:

mon - 35 mins easy/steady
    tues - short interval session (16 x 200m, 8 x 400m, 5 x 800m etc.)
    weds - 35 mins easy/steady
    thurs - long interval session (4 x 1600m, 5 x 2,000m, 3 x 3200m etc.)
    fri - 35 mins easy/steady
    sat - 8 miles inc. 20-30 mins at threshhold pace
    sun - LSR of 13-15 miles at no faster than 8 min/miles and no slower than 9 min/miles

My main distance is 10k (as the races are in abundance in my area) but I also like 5k and 5M when I can find them. Would like to get into track racing, but am miles away from anywhere that does it. 

• Okay - instinctively looking at your schedule...

1. The rest of your week is comprised of roughly 255 minutes and your long run is 104-120 minutes- that is far too long for your current mileage. So I'd scale the LSR down to about 12 miles.

2. You're running 7 days a week and it's hard on your system- I'd personally drop the friday run.

3. You're combining a VERY long long run with a tempo run and two interval sessions. I'd say make Saturday a semi-long run of 7 miles fairly easy and alternate Tuesdays between your short-interval session and the 8 mile run inc. threshold work.

I think the week as a whole is good, but that you're trying to hit too many bases in a one week schedule and that you're not giving yourself enough recovery. If you made the switches you'd end up with something like this...

mon - 35 mins recovery jog
    tues - short interval session (16 x 200m, 8 x 400m, 5 x 800m etc.) OR 8 miles inc. 20-30 mins at threshhold pace
    weds - 35 mins recovery jog
    fri - REST
    sat - 35 mins steady
    sun - LSR of 13-15 miles at no faster than 8 min/miles and no slower than 9 min/miles

You'll also notice the difference in steady vs. recovery jogs. Recovery jogs are intended to be very easy whilst steady running is at something approaching notional Marathon Pace.

Just a few suggestions from a guy whose gone from 61-33 with a fair amount of time just outside the 40 minute block!

In terms of moving onwards I'd say your overall mileage would be the next step as you're covering most of the bases with that schedule but that just regularly following this schedule for 3 months you'd probably be looking at something like 37/38 for 10k.
  • You've made some good points there. I think my impatience is probably the reason behind the lack of rest days, and the attempted inclusion of too much.

I'm very keen on interval work/track work though as I feel it's very good "value for money"... and i've seen quick improvements with it in the past. 

When i'm properly back into the swing of things after this cold i'll try and think more along the lines suggested. 

What are your feelings on appropriate paces for long runs and recovery runs?

• Hobbling Harrier wrote (see)
    I can go psychotic with my weight but at the end of the day there are huge daily fluctuations and you're looking for much more of an overall trend.

I come from a family with a history of disordered eating (and eating disorders!) so perhaps I would do well not to obsess too much about weight.

So from what you've said:

mon - 35 mins recovery jog
    tues - short interval session (16 x 200m, 8 x 400m, 5 x 800m etc.) OR 8 miles inc. 20-30 mins at threshhold pace
    weds - 35 mins recovery jog
    fri - REST
    sat - 7 miles steady
    sun - LSR of 12 miles at no faster than 8 min/miles and no slower than 9 min/miles 

• Today:

4.1 miles in 34'00".

Very pleased about this... felt good throughout. Started easy but it was more like a steady pace by the end. Coughing a bit after I finished, but I still felt like my airways were clearer than before I started!

Not a bad time given that I wasn't pushing it, and was an undulating course with a few busy roads to cross.
  • Don't know why everything in that post was a weird link.
  • Sorry Paul- been busy!

I tihnk the above would probably give you a very reasonable chance at breaking your goal whilst still staying fairly close to your original schedule.

Will try and post up how I structure a week fairly shortly.

What I will say is that those long rep sessions can be very very hard and doing 3.2k reps isn't always advisable especially on the track. If you do do them perhaps try dong them at a second or two seconds per lap slower than you COULD do them. You'll develop a much more relaxed running style and not constantly be straining.

You'd be amazed at how many people (often myself included) go out and hammer a hard interval session as if it was a race. It's not. The aim is to get a strong aerobic work-out, working the different energy systems and keeping yourself able to train. A lot of the benefits are just neuromuscular.
  • Having actually got back to eating and sleeping normally... and feeling 95% okay... i'm going to resume normal training. As per the above schedule. So an easy run today... and something hard tomorrow.
  • Yesterday - 4.1 miles easy
    Today - 10 min warmup, 8 x 400m @ 1500m pace (with 90s rest), 5 min warmdown
  • Faffed around with mum at the track today, helping her do a 1500m time trial. Total easy running for me was about 2 miles.
  • Decided to go for a tempo run today, in lieu of a long track session because i'm not sure i'd be up for the latter given how long ive not trained properly.

7.2 miles - 58'50"

10 mins warmup, slow pace
    30 mins brisk, not tempo pace but steady-hard
    18'50" warmdown, slow pace

Not thrilled with this, but as ever, working nights mean i'm tired pretty much all the time. First run of 5 miles or more for at least 21 days as well, so i suppose my endurance has taken a knock.

It was bloody freezing down at the beach.
  • 11 miles on treadmill today.

Not sure exactly how long it took... somewhere in the region of 95 minutes. I kept varying the pace between various speeds inside 6.8 - 7.7mph.

I found that at the hour mark my HR was in the 180s... and at the 9-mile-mark, it was at 195. Is this not remarkably high?
  • Well! I took the plunge and bought a Garmin 305. Impressed so far. Took it out for a 7 mile run this morning and was stunned by how much information was available, and how regularly it updated. Was able to produce a lovely map on Google Earth of my route as well!

I intend to take it round the stubbington 10k tomorrow also.
  • What should I aim for guys? I was looking good until the 15th december when I was off running for 3 weeks being ill. Since then i've only had one week of hard training.

Based on my last 5M time my target should be 41'09".... but i suspect this might be too fast...
  • Possibly  start out aiming  for perhaps 42 mins (4:12 per km), then try and pick up the pace after perhaps 5km if you can.  Negative splits can be great as you're overtaking people all the way home, and even if they go wrong, they aren't as much of a disaster as if you started out faster!  I'm too undisciplined to do them enough, but the rare time that I've done a negative split, it's been great!

As for the high HR on a steady run, I've found this too, particularly with the treadmill HRM.  If I'm relaxed and can breathe comfortably, then I just ignore it

Good luck!

• Nice work, once you get back to regular running, the lost fitness will return no problem!
  • Given that i've covered about 54 miles in the last 6 weeks i'm definitely pleased!

As soon as i'm back on around 40mpw I think i'll be looking much happier. Eastleigh's still a few weeks off yet.

• 2.75 mile recovery run last night

4 mile recovery run this afternoon
  • Based on my last LSR and the Stubbington 10k i've come to the following conclusions:

1) I'm suffering from horrendous "cardiac drift". I had to cut a 12 mile run short to 11 miles, because my HR hit 195 by about the 9 mile mark, and by 10 miles I thought I was dying and kept having to stop for water.

2) I haven't lost much track-speed... I can still knock out 8 x 400m and manage them all in around 82 seconds... which is the same as I was doing in December

3) My pacing in races is crap. I set out for 42 minutes at Stubbington (4:12 a km) and ended up running the first kilometre in 3:45 and the second kilometre in 3:55. Ultimately this is buggering my times up (although arguably the pacing was much worse in the GSR and V5 than last sunday!!). Either way I should've been looking at 8:24 for the first 2 clicks, and ended up looking at about 7:50. I need a Garmin that'll shout at me to slow down! 

So... I still have the raw speed. I can still run repeat 400s in 82 seconds... repeat 1600s in 6 minutes and evidently I can run the first 2km of a 10k race at least as quick as i'd need to for a sub-40 time. But between 14th December and 18th January I basically did only 1 LSR, 1 race, 1 track session and a few easy runs. 

So it seems my endurance and speed-endurance have suffered. I can run at the pace needed for my target time at Eastleigh... and quite comfortably. But only for a little while. It seems therefore imperative that I do not miss a single LSR between now and the race. Equally, I think I need to work hard on getting some steady mileage in for the next 6 weeks. After all, there's no point in being fast if I can't hold it together for more than 3km. I hit the 5k mark at stubbington in under 21 minutes... yet I barely finished the race in under 43. Something about that is quite wrong.

Mileage mileage mileage. I need to stop shying away from steady runs as being boring... and the same for LSR's. Otherwise cardiac drift is going to kill me.